PDA

View Full Version : 2013 memorial cup bid, 2012 just announced

wango tango
04-07-2011, 01:17 PM
shawinigan has just been awarded the 2012 memorial cup as the qmjhl host.

does this help saskatoon's bid for the 2013 memorial cup?

depends on which way you want to look at it. if you take the 2012, 2011, 2010, and 2009 memorial cup hosts combined average capacity is about 5,000.

saskatoon's capacity is approximately 15,000. i'm guessing with civic and provincial government backing there will be a record profit guarantee for a saskatoon memorial cup bid.

the team looks to be solid (hard to know for sure in junior hockey year to year) potentially: 20's collins, nicholls, cox. 19's benson, siemens, thrower, dietz. 18's bews, sutter, olsen. that's a good core, strong defense. the blades prospects on their website, the team has some good looking youngsters to add to the mix that will be 17's.

excellent facility, average attendance over 5,000 a game, a good team that will not have to go crazy to make it a competitive host, history of hosting big successful events, big profit potential means more money for everyone.

other teams that have expressed interest: prince george, red deer, kelowna, and lethbridge.

Joe Hallenback
04-07-2011, 01:47 PM
I will bet you 100 fake dollars that Lethbridge gets it

Stuck in the Penalty Box
04-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Apparently the Hitmen are in the mix for bidding for the 2013 Mem Cup. Big bucks can be guarenteed by both Calgary and Saskatoon. While the other cities will likely struggle to match the guarentees.

Hey Joe, I will bet you all my CDN Tire money ($3.55) that Lethbridge does not get the bid. Here's why. Currently their season ticket base was just over 1700 last season. The attendance is down over the last couple of years (only support winners), the club has lost money over the last two seasons. Just how strong will the on-ice product be in two seasons as they will likely be younger for 11-12. All the upgrades to the Enmax are great! City facilities and logistics are excellent........but, attendance, money and the team will go against them. If a smaller city is going to get it, look to Red Deer.

Rocketsfan
04-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Apparently the Hitmen are in the mix for bidding for the 2013 Mem Cup. Big bucks can be guarenteed by both Calgary and Saskatoon. While the other cities will likely struggle to match the guarentees.

I'm pretty sure Kelowna can guarantee big bucks as well considering we draw over 6000 people per game for an average of over $20 per ticket (insane I know) every night plus have a waiting list of almost 1500 for season tickets. Just don't think the league and organizing committee will pick Kelowna to host it twice in 9 years

patsdude114
04-07-2011, 05:48 PM
other teams that have expressed interest: prince george, red deer, kelowna, and lethbridge.

I really dont understand why Lethbridge is even bothering with a bid, they need to get there club back on track with some winning seasons. If they fail to do so they will have to make alot of big name trades just so they can ice a team as a host city.

They still dont have any quality top young players (16/17yr olds) on there current roster who would be any importance to them for the 2013 Memorial Cup.

Saskatoon i think will be over looked just a tad due to them just recently hosting the WJ's, the CHL likes to do there best in spreading around the big hockey events. Also consider that the last WHL Memorial Cup host was in the same division (BRN). I think PG prob has the best chance at getting it followed behind by Red Deer.

wango tango
04-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Saskatoon i think will be over looked just a tad due to them just recently hosting the WJ's, the CHL likes to do there best in spreading around the big hockey events. Also consider that the last WHL Memorial Cup host was in the same division (BRN). I think PG prob has the best chance at getting it followed behind by Red Deer.

the whole moving events around isn't part of the thinking anymore. best recent example (before brandon hosted the memorial cup) vancouver and kelowna hosted memorial cups back to back out of the whl, same division. and vancouver around the same time they had the memorial cup also had the world junior hockey championships. so the spreading events around doesn't apply anymore.

pg's attendance this season hurt the cougars bid chances.

i agree red deer has a good opportunity to be the host also.

wango tango
04-07-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm pretty sure Kelowna can guarantee big bucks as well considering we draw over 6000 people per game for an average of over $20 per ticket (insane I know) every night plus have a waiting list of almost 1500 for season tickets. Just don't think the league and organizing committee will pick Kelowna to host it twice in 9 years

yeah it's just a little too close together for kelowna. of the teams that have expressed interest i'd guess red deer and saskatoon would be the two favourites right now. i'd be great to have a u.s. division franchise make a bid, there are some pretty big sponsorship obstacles that make it very VERY unlikely.

west coast
04-07-2011, 10:45 PM
i would like to see a thriving hockey market be the successful memorial cup host.The host city should also have a competitive memorial cup team.Strike Prince George and Lethbridge off the list.PG doesnt get enough fan support due to terrible economy there.Lethbridge doesnt have a competitive team.Saskatoon and Kelowna both look like solid choices at this time.

Shootmaster_44
04-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Here's the one caveat about all that. Doesn't Saskatoon host the 2013 and 2014 University Cups? Since Saskatoon's volunteer corps is large but seems to only support one major event per year, would there be enough volunteers to run both? The second thing with this is would hockey fans be willing to shell out money to two major tournaments in one year? Last University Cup saw the Huskies draw nearly 11,000 people to each of their games. Would the Blades be able to replicate that a month and a half later?

The other thing is optics. On the flip side at the last University Cup in 2000, Alberta played New Brunswick in the final. That game only had 4,000 in attendance, as I worked at CUC for that game, I heard the announcement during the game that TSN had requested all fans from the upper level move down to look better on TV. Would the CHL risk having this happen for a Oshawa/Chicoutimi game? In fact, doesn't the Memorial Cup run with weekday afternoon games? I was at a UQTR/York game during the University Cup that probably had 1,000 people there if that. Would Sportsnet and the CHL be happy if there were 3,500 attending in a 15,000 seat arena? I doubt it since it would look terrible on TV.

I'm not saying that hosting a Memorial Cup won't do well, but I fear that unlike the World Juniors, people in Saskatoon are much less interested in seeing non-Saskatoon teams play. Granted, if the Huskies win the University Cup and the Blades go deep into the playoffs (even winning the WHL), I could see bandwagon hockey fans get swept up in it. They might be more willing to attend non-Blades games. However, if the Huskies get shelled and the Blades lose in the first round, I could see apathy toward the tournament.

Why do I keep including the Huskies? Casual hockey fans show up at big events, so if they are entertained by the Huskies' play, that could help the Memorial Cup. However, if you spent $30 or $40 on a ticket to the Huskies game and it was a bad game, would you spend $40 or $50 to see London play Rouyn-Noranda? I'm thinking most casual hockey fans would pass on it. They go to be entertained and if they think they wasted money seeing a big tournament a month and a half earlier, they will pass on the next big tournament.

wango tango
04-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Here's the one caveat about all that. Doesn't Saskatoon host the 2013 and 2014 University Cups? Since Saskatoon's volunteer corps is large but seems to only support one major event per year, would there be enough volunteers to run both? The second thing with this is would hockey fans be willing to shell out money to two major tournaments in one year? Last University Cup saw the Huskies draw nearly 11,000 people to each of their games. Would the Blades be able to replicate that a month and a half later?

Yes the Huskies will be the host team for the University Cup in 2013 and 2014. Yes there would be enough volunteer support for both events. Ticket prices for the two events are very different. So I don't think one would hurt the other.

The other thing is optics. On the flip side at the last University Cup in 2000, Alberta played New Brunswick in the final. That game only had 4,000 in attendance, as I worked at CUC for that game, I heard the announcement during the game that TSN had requested all fans from the upper level move down to look better on TV. Would the CHL risk having this happen for a Oshawa/Chicoutimi game? In fact, doesn't the Memorial Cup run with weekday afternoon games? I was at a UQTR/York game during the University Cup that probably had 1,000 people there if that. Would Sportsnet and the CHL be happy if there were 3,500 attending in a 15,000 seat arena? I doubt it since it would look terrible on TV.

You're right that is always a big fear, when the host team isn't playing attendance is lousy. I was worried about that for the world juniors, but after seeing what happened with that event, I would be less concerned about a less than full building at a Memorial Cup in Saskatoon. Would it be absolutely packed? Probably not. Would it be very empty? No. I'd think 8 to 10 thousand would be reasonable.

I'm not saying that hosting a Memorial Cup won't do well, but I fear that unlike the World Juniors, people in Saskatoon are much less interested in seeing non-Saskatoon teams play. Granted, if the Huskies win the University Cup and the Blades go deep into the playoffs (even winning the WHL), I could see bandwagon hockey fans get swept up in it. They might be more willing to attend non-Blades games. However, if the Huskies get shelled and the Blades lose in the first round, I could see apathy toward the tournament.

I truly think one will help feed the other and vice versa. And yes if both teams are doing well it would only help feed the hockey appetite. History suggests Saskatoon is an event town, and the Memorial Cup is a big event, it will do well, now what affect will it have on the University Cup in the first year? Guess we'll see if/when it happens.

Why do I keep including the Huskies? Casual hockey fans show up at big events, so if they are entertained by the Huskies' play, that could help the Memorial Cup. However, if you spent $30 or $40 on a ticket to the Huskies game and it was a bad game, would you spend $40 or $50 to see London play Rouyn-Noranda? I'm thinking most casual hockey fans would pass on it. They go to be entertained and if they think they wasted money seeing a big tournament a month and a half earlier, they will pass on the next big tournament.

With the majority of tickets being sold as full tournament packages (and those usually account for 75% or more of tournament capacity), long before the first puck is dropped, single game sales are not going to break an event.

Stuck in the Penalty Box
04-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Usually it is the greed of the WHL owners that determine the hosting of the Memorial Cup. Last year's "experiment" with Brandon proved one thing. The smaller clubs can't add to the WHL coffers like the major city clubs can. Saskatoon and Calgary certainly have the rinks to bring in the big bucks. Kelowna and Red Deer are both thriving franchises that also could leave $$$$ in the hands of the 22 owners. Greed will dictate the site. PG and Lethbridge will be the two teams left out of the picture later this spring for obvious reasons. (I think the Hurricanes would have been better planning for 2016). I still would give the inside track to Red Deer, Saskatoon has hosted it before and the WJRS, Calgary is co-hosting the WJRS next December and Kelowna has had the Mem Cup fairly recently. Besides, how can Calgary host it with the NHL playoffs a possibility?

As for weekday day games at the Mem Cup. There were no weekday games at the Mem Cup in Brandon. TV would dictate that and having fans available for the night games rather than during the day (some people work) would also be a factor.

:soscared:

Trevor
04-08-2011, 06:45 PM
The Hitmen and Oil Kings will never be able to host the Memorial Cup because they can't guarantee their ice surfaces will be available.

From the east, I only see Saskatoon and Red Deer bidding. The fact that if Saskatoon hosted it would be in the same division back to back isn't a complete deal breaker. The Guelph Storm, Kitchner Ranger, and London Knights hosted the previous 3 Memorial Cups for the OHL, and they're all in the same division* Also, in 1998 & 1991 Drummondville hosted back to back Memorial Cups for the Q, so Kelowna can't be completely ruled out. Portland hosted back to back in 1983 & 1986 as well.

I would expect a bid from one of the US division teams, likely either Everett or Seattle. Both cities have the building to host the Memorial Cup, and given their current ways, should hopefully have good teams in 2 years time. I don't know whether Tri-Cities and Portland would still have the calibre of team required to host in 2 years time, and Spokane hosted in 1998.

And on more of an interesting note than anything else, the WHL is the only league to have hosted the Memorial Cup in the US, doing so 4 times (Portland 1983 & 1986, Seattle 1992, Spokane 1998)

*They are right now, but I never looked into what division each team was in when they hosted.