PDA

View Full Version : Season comes to an end

Malc
04-18-2011, 01:46 PM
By Doyle Potenteau

Ryan Johansen missed not once, but twice. Good thing Joe Morrow was spot on.

Sven Bartschi had a three-point effort for Portland, with a goal and two assists, as the Winterhawks erased the Kelowna Rockets from the WHL playoff picture with a 4-2 win on Sunday night.

The game, however, was much closer than Portland‘s two-goal victory. So close, in fact, that it took an empty-net goal by Morrow with three seconds left to seal the win after Kelowna came close to tying the contest several times in the dying minutes.

Johansen had not one, but two cracks to seal Portland‘s victory, yet came up short both times.

The first was with about six minutes left, a point-blank wrister into a wide-open net, but the puck rolled on the Winterhawks‘ top forward at the last second and his shot completely missed the target. The miss was so unbelievable that the pro-Rockets crowd groaned in disbelief.

Why, even Johansen couldn‘t believe it, as he looked upwards, his hands pressed against his head. His second chance, with 30 seconds remaining and Rockets goaltender Adam Brown pulled for an extra attacker, also missed the target.

But 24 seconds later, from Portland‘s zone, Morrow iced the game with a long shot into Kelowna‘s goal, and now the Winterhawks are off the Western Conference championship, having won this second-round series in six games, 4-2.

"I don‘t know what was happening," Johansen said with a smile when asked about his two missed empty-net shots. "The first one, the puck kinda rolled up on my stick and was flat against my blade and it went to the left. I had no words for that... this team needs me to step up and to miss shots like those, really, it‘s not a good feeling.

"Obviously, we got the big win and finished off the series, which is the main thing, and I‘m obviously happy about that, but that can cost you a game, those empty nets. You have to make sure you put those away. I‘m glad Morrow made the shot; he can have the empty-nets. That was a great play by him, especially late in the game like that. Definitely a relief, a big relief."

Ty Rattie and Craig Cunningham also scored for Portland. Geordie Wudrick and Brett Bulmer, with their fourth playoff goals, replied for Kelowna, which trailed 2-0 and 3-1 at the period breaks.

The Rockets drew to within one in the final frame, and had many chances to tie the game, but couldn‘t force overtime.

Brown made 35 saves for Kelowna, which was eliminated in the second round for a second straight year. Mac Carruth turned aside 45 shots for Portland, which advanced to the Western Conference championship for the first time since 2001.

"This was a real tough series, and I give a lot of credit to Kelowna," said Portland general manager and coach Mike Johnston. "They have a very good hockey team, and you can tell that some of their guys who drive their team - like their coaching staff and Evan Bloodoff and Tyson Barrie - are guys who have playoff experience. Our guys haven‘t had that experience, but you could see that (Kelowna) competed right to the end.

"They pushed this series, and we knew it was going to be a tough series, and it was. Now our team really has playoff experience. When you‘ve been through something like we‘ve just went through, it only makes you better, it makes you tougher, it makes you more hardened. We went through a lot of adversity in this series, losing Brad Ross (three-game suspension) and we lost Riley Boychuk early in this game; we lost Pearce Eviston earlier on, so we had to make some adjustments and adapt a little bit. But that‘s playoff hockey; that‘s what you have to do if you‘re going to make it through."

Carruth was simply solid in net for Portland when it counted, especially in the final period, when the Rockets outshot the Hawks 19-10.

"They had their backs up against the wall in the third, and they came out flying. They played a heck of a third period," said Carruth, who made 18 stops over the final 20 minutes. "As a goalie, you have to enjoy (the pressure). I loved it. The fans were on me and they were coming hard. Luckily, I didn‘t let any in and we came out on top.

"I think in the long run, this is something we‘re going to look back on and say this made us better. Losing in overtime in our own barn wasn‘t fun (2-1 in Game 5 on Friday), then having to get on the bus and come up here. But this will help us, especially if we go to Game 7 against anybody."

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/stories_local_sports.php?id=349698

Malc
04-18-2011, 01:47 PM
By Doyle Potenteau

The tears in Tyson Barrie‘s eyes said it all: The Kelowna Rockets‘ playoff run is over, and so is his junior career.

Despite a valiant effort in the third period, Kelowna couldn‘t overcome a good start by Portland, and the Winterhawks eliminated the Rockets with a 4-2 victory on Sunday night. The result earned Portland a 4-2 series win in this second-round meeting and a trip to the Western Conference championship.

For Kelowna, it was a complicated, emotional series loss. Not many gave the Rockets much of a chance against Portland and its high-octane offence. Yet, the Rockets not only pushed Portland to six games, but gave the Winterhawks all they could handle, and then some.

But... they still lost. And the game was likely Barrie‘s last in a Rockets uniform, with life in professional hockey to begin next fall.

"My career here has been unbelievable," said Barrie, whose four-season stint with Kelowna began with seven games as a midget call-up in 2006.

The next season, Barrie became a full-time defenceman, and the rest is great history. In 256 regular-season games with the Rockets, the 5-foot-10 rearguard recorded 51 goals and 228 points. In 51 playoff appearances, the 19-year-old from Victoria was even better, with 10 goals and 44 points in 51 games.

"I came here as a 15-year-old, played a few games and I‘ve met so many good friends here," said Barrie, who was selected in the third round, 64th overall by the Colorado Avalanche in the NHL‘s 2009 draft.

"I‘ve been coached so well here and treated so well here (in Kelowna)... it‘s a great place to play junior here. It‘s sad to see it coming to an end.

"Maybe right now is kind of a time to reflect. I‘ve had such a good time here... I don‘t want to leave, really, but I guess I‘m ready to take the next step in my career. But I want to say thanks to everybody who‘s treated me so well here."

Also having their junior careers come to an end on Sunday night were Kelowna‘s three over-age players: forwards Evan Bloodoff and Geordie Wudrick plus defenceman Zak Stebner.

"Tyson and our three 20-year-olds; it‘s not an easy day," said Rockets head coach Ryan Huska. "There were some tears in their eyes in the dressing room. It‘s hard when they realize it‘s coming to an end, and when they‘ve played their last shifts, so it‘s difficult to see them (like this).

"They‘re still young guys and it‘s hard on them when you don‘t win your last game."

Asked about Game 6, and Kelowna‘s game effort, which saw the Rockets fight back from period deficits of 2-0 and 3-1 to make it close in the third, Barrie said he was proud of his team.

"They got those two (goals) in the first period and that was tough," said Barrie. "Once we got our first one and then our second one in the beginning of the third, I thought we had a chance. I liked the way we battled and the way we didn‘t give up. There were a few chances we had that we could have put in... it‘s always tough losing.

"It would have been nice to get this one and force a Game 7, because, in my playoff experience, Game 7s can always go either way.

"So that would have been ideal, but hockey doesn‘t always go the way you want it to.

"But like I said, I liked the way we competed in this series, especially. I thought we left everything on the ice."

Said Huska: "I‘m proud of the way our guys played in this series. There were two games at home where we probably deserved a little bit better. We had a little bit of a slower start today, but there was no quit in our guys. Against a very good hockey team, I thought we did a very good job. It‘s just that we couldn‘t find a way to get the wins that we needed."

For their part, the Winterhawks credited Kelowna with a good series, adding that getting pushed in this series can only help them.

"Our players should feel good about that," said Huska. "I just think that the tough pill for them to swallow is that we didn‘t get it done, and that‘s why we play at this time of the season. It‘s difficult if the effort isn‘t there, but our guys competed for the six games."

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/stories_local_sports.php?id=349697