PDA

View Full Version : Next Years Team?

Billy's Got A Gun!
04-18-2011, 05:39 PM
What are you're opinions on next years club? Depending on what happens with a few pieces of the puzzle, Rebels could be anywhere from a division contender and top conference seed, to a team battling for a playoff spot.

Two biggest questions for me are:
1) What happens with RNH, and
2) Goaltending

My gut feeling is that RNH comes back for one more season. I also think they need to find a goaltender if RD has a chance to be a contender. Pouliot will only be 17. He may turn out well but it is too much to ask to expect him to shoulder the load next year. I right now don't think Guhle is the answer, but he also really hasn't been given much of an opportunity. RD needs to find a 19or 20 year old who has been in the league and has playoff experience.

What about the 19 year olds? Cowen is back for sure, and I think Kudrna will be back being an undrafted player. I think both Froese and Weller move on. Getting Kudrna and one of the other two back would be significant. If RD loses RNH, Froese, Weller and Kudrna they are back to battling for that 8th seed.

SectionNDeserter
04-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Cowen is back for sureHe is a force in the dressing room, but do they really want an overage player that will play 20 or so odd games between injuries? I think he will be with the team at least until the deadline to get down to 3 overage players.

and I think Kudrna will be back being an undrafted player.You never really know with imports, but I think there is a place for him if he wants it. He could also just play pro hockey overseas. Who knows? :confused:

I think both Froese and Weller move on.Neither one is signed to an ELC at the moment. But it seems improbable that a 40+ goal scorer at this level doesn't play their overage season in pro hockey somewhere. Why do you think Weller moves on? It isn't unfathomable. I guess it all depends on whether Phoenix scouted him on the nights earlier in the season that he iced the puck/turned it over a dozen times.

If RD loses RNH, Froese, Weller and Kudrna they are back to battling for that 8th seed.If they don't get half-decent goaltending you could be right, but you are forgetting that a few guys like Siwak, Elson, Ness, Kambeitz, and even Mayor are likely to have a breakout season next year.

Kelsey Rocque
04-19-2011, 01:00 AM
I think Nugent will be back simply because he lacks the size and confidence to play at a higher level. If it is one thing the Medicine Hat series showed, it is that he needs more time to develop.

Pouliot apparently had a good season with his midget team, so he may be a starter. If not, Guhle might have potential. It's hard to judge a goalie that never got a chance to play that much and gain a little confidence. If not, there is always the option of trading for a goalie.

Ideally, I think it would be best if Weller, Froese, and Cowen come back. However, I don't think Froese or Weller will return. Kudrna is such a skilled player when he wants to be but he is lazy when you really need him to step up, so I care less if he returns. Anyways, I find it likely that Cowen, Borejko, and Kudrna come back as 20 year olds.

I think another player worth some discussion is whether or not Persson returns. I think he has a hell of a career in front of him now that he is playing so confidently.

Lastly, we have several fairly solid players returning so we should be hurting too bad. Elson, Kambeitz, Siwak, Petrovic, Dumba, and Deagle definitely help our line up.

The place I see the real problem is the young players on our team. Our fourth line players (Muller, Ness, Mayor, Robinson) definitely need to improve and step it up which they yet may because they are young. Pufahl and Grayson seemed alright.

Shinyshoes
04-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Lastly, we have several fairly solid players returning so we should be hurting too bad. Elson, Kambeitz, Siwak, Petrovic, Dumba, and Deagle definitely help our line up. Petrovic signed a NHL Entry-level contract yesterday. While I don't think he is NHL ready yet and as a 19 year old he would have to play NHL or WHL (not Minor-Pro), signing a contract certainly swings the balance a little bit away from the WHL.

Like I said, I don't think he is NHL ready, but this is FLORIDA we are talking about......

Kelsey Rocque
04-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Petrovic signed a NHL Entry-level contract yesterday. While I don't think he is NHL ready yet and as a 19 year old he would have to play NHL or WHL (not Minor-Pro), signing a contract certainly swings the balance a little bit away from the WHL.

Like I said, I don't think he is NHL ready, but this is FLORIDA we are talking about......

Yeah, I read that this morning. Petrovic definitely has skill, but I do not think he is ready either. He lets the mistakes he makes get to him. I gets frustrated easily and then plays bad as a result.

Red celtic
04-19-2011, 02:35 PM
I believe we will see RNH, Kudrina, and Weller back next year. Edmonton will pick RNH and have implied that they don't want to rush their picks next year whether its its Hopkins or not. Kudrina is not ready for pro hockey and needs another year to develop and do really think Phoenix will want Weller playing pro hockey next year....is he even signed? Here is a early look at what could happen baring trades. (We will have to look at our goalie situation)

Forwards
Persson(19) RNH(18) Kudrina(20)
Elson(19) Kambeitz(19) Siwak(18)
Cowan(20) Mayor(18) Ness(18)
Robinson(18) McCoy(17) Muller(18)
McMurphy(17) Millette(16)

Defence
Petrovic(19) Weller(20)
Dumba(17) Deagle(19)
Pufhal(18) Greyson(17)
Doetzel(16)

Goalies
Guhle (19) Poulet (17)

SectionNDeserter
04-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Not bad RC, but needs some work. I don't know if I am comfortable with having a LW in Mayor (that I don't think took a faceoff all year) being the 3rd line center.... I still think there is a slim chance we see Froese back next season (here we go with the Coetzee thing again ;) ), though with Chicago seemingly down to their last game or two, we might see a signing in the next few weeks.

Kelsey Rocque
04-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Weller is big, strong, solid, and consistent. I would be extremely surprised if he returns to the WHL as a 20 year old, but I hope he does.

Take a look at the numbers Froese has been putting up during his time in the WHL. He's ready to move on.

And if anyone can tell me what Wallin sees in Ness or Muller, please be my guest.

Red celtic
04-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Not bad RC, but needs some work. I don't know if I am comfortable with having a LW in Mayor (that I don't think took a faceoff all year) being the 3rd line center.... I still think there is a slim chance we see Froese back next season (here we go with the Coetzee thing again ;) ), though with Chicago seemingly down to their last game or two, we might see a signing in the next few weeks.

Glad to see that you still that you are alive and well heard you had a stomach flue. But that aside how many natural centres do we have we will be putting someone on that line who isn't classified as a centre unless we move up McCoy. But as I said this is a early attemped at what could happen. By the way have you shaved off the playoff beard yet?

Red celtic
04-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Weller is big, strong, solid, and consistent. I would be extremely surprised if he returns to the WHL as a 20 year old, but I hope he does.

Take a look at the numbers Froese has been putting up during his time in the WHL. He's ready to move on.

And if anyone can tell me what Wallin sees in Ness or Muller, please be my guest.

Ness Speed and skill Muller grit and toughness. I don't see Weller playing pro next year needs another year of seasoning.

SectionNDeserter
04-20-2011, 06:30 AM
Weller is big, strong, solid, and consistent.He was a beast for the last three quarters of this season. Prior to that, he was the timid guy pinning the puck to the end boards, waiting for the other team's players that were 20 feet away from him to get closer to him so that he could ice the puck or drill it off the boards and turn it over. If I am Phoenix, I want to see more than a fraction of one season out of him before throwing a big contract his way. If he comes back as an overage player and plays the full season like he did in the Med. Hat series, I don't see how he doesn't get a pro contract at the end of next season.

Take a look at the numbers Froese has been putting up during his time in the WHL. He's ready to move on.I agree, but stranger things have happened. Joel Broda had something like 60 goals as a 19 year old, but somehow ended up in Calgary last season as an unsigned 20 year old.... I will eliminate Froese as an overage next season when I see his name on an NHL contract.

And if anyone can tell me what Wallin sees in Ness or Muller, please be my guest.Ness is one of the fastest skaters (if not the fastest) on the team, has a good touch around the net while still being ok defensively. Muller is huge, has WHL speed, and is tough as nails. Both are only 17 years old and just oozing with potential.

But that aside how many natural centres do we have we will be putting someone on that line who isn't classified as a centre unless we move up McCoy.Good question... maybe a deal in the works for a checking line center in the offseason?

By the way have you shaved off the playoff beard yet?Like half an hour after the final game!

Kelsey Rocque
04-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Muller is slow and can't handle the puck to save his life.

Ness may be fast, but he is also dead useless when it comes to handling the puck.

SectionNDeserter
04-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Muller is slow and can't handle the puck to save his life.He is neither slow or fast, but he is enough of a skater to be in this league. He is out there to crash and bang and get his nose dirty. He gets the puck on his stick and gets it to his teammates--I don't think you can ask a lot more from a rookie checker. Were you looking for a whole roster of Kudrnas?

Ness may be fast, but he is also dead useless when it comes to handling the puck.His biggest asset is his speed, with his puck handling being a close second. If you are holding him to the same standard as RNH, then yes, but he is far better than many at handling the puck. He was moved up to the top line(s) a few times this season, and always produced when he was there. He is going to have a breakout season next year when he is getting more than 3 minutes of ice time a night.

The only two players I have been unimpressed with this season were the first month of the season's version of Weller, and Guhle. Weller turned things around, and while he didn't manage to work his way onto a power play unit more than a handful of times, he did become a very effective shutdown defenseman. Guhle finished the season with a few ok outings. There wasn't any #5/6 defensemen playing 1st line minutes (Morin) or 3rd liners playing on the top line (Carter Smith) this season. There was enough talent and grit on the top lines, and some solid checking lines.

Kelsey Rocque
04-21-2011, 12:12 AM
I honestly do not want to see Kudrna back, so no i'm not holding them against that standard.

I am, however, pointing out that there is much room for improvement. Wallin liked to move Ness up lines a bunch this season, which makes no sense to me. Perhaps I am being a bit harsh because I had Ness' billet family screaming his name in my ear all season. Best case scenario is that Ness develops into a player such as Elson. Muller is interesting simply because he hits, but I don't think he will ever get many points. I wish I had your optimism, but I can't see the next few years team being anything close to what this year turned out to be.

Then again we could see another success story such as another Persson develop out of one of those two. Johnny was probably my favorite player this season simply because he took his game to a new level.

SectionNDeserter
04-21-2011, 07:07 AM
but I can't see the next few years team being anything close to what this year turned out to be.Nor do I. For one, there are no sure-fire prospects that are clearly ready to step in and be the #1 goaltender next season, and if there were, it would be tough to step in and replace Kuemper. This would have been the season to go for it all, but I can understand their reluctance to make that deal at the deadline, given how some of the other teams in the league grossly overpaid for their rental players, and with their impending Memorial Cup bid. There are a few exciting young players coming in next year (McMurphy, Milette, McCoy, Doetzel), and a group of players ready to take their game to the next level with more ice time (Kambeitz, Mayor, Ness, Elson, Grayson, Pufahl).

Johnny was probably my favorite player this season simply because he took his game to a new level.Hard to not like Persson, he just seemed to get a little better every game, right up to the last game.

Rebelsfan13
04-21-2011, 09:39 AM

We all know how well of a year Coetzee had playing pro this year! The ECHL is not the place for 20 year olds to develop. He would have been better off growing as a player in junior. If Chicago is smart then I think Froese returns. I think the chances are better than slim that he returns but I also thought Coetzee would return.

Red celtic
04-21-2011, 10:16 AM
We all know how well of a year Coetzee had playing pro this year! The ECHL is not the place for 20 year olds to develop. He would have been better off growing as a player in junior. If Chicago is smart then I think Froese returns. I think the chances are better than slim that he returns but I also thought Coetzee would return.

Jesse is hoping that Chicago and the Jets (Formally from Phoenix) will want to see them get some serious playing time. Here is the link to the article which has some thoughts on next years team.
http://www.albertalocalnews.com/reddeeradvocate/sports/rebels/news/The_road_to_excellence_120354659.html

Rebelsfan13
04-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Maybe I am too much of an optomist but I must admit I am way on the other end of the spectrum then most people in here. I think the Rebels will be a stronger team next year than this years team and here's why.

I think the likelihood of RNH being back is greater than 80%. Look at the teams that potentially take him, Edmonton, Florida or Colorado. All of those teams are already rebuilding and don't need to rush a young player like him. RNH is a special player but some 18 year olds aren't physically ready to play in the NHL and I don't see any way possible that he closes that gap in the next six months. For those two reasons I believe he is back next year.

Like my previous post I do believe that Froese comes back next year. Coetzee as an example would have been better off staying in Red Deer. I think the other reason Froese may stay back is the % of his goals that came on the powerplay vs. even strength.

Now with those two players back that of course isn't the whole team but you also will have returning Petrovic (no way he makes the NHL next year on another rebuilding team), Dumba (could be a force next year), Elson (he will continue to get stronger), Ness (could have a break out year), Siwak (could explode, this is a tremondously talented kid), Persson (another great opportunity to explode), Kambeitz, Grayson/Pufahl (both with a year under their belts could be huge next year), Deagle (will be a solid 19 year old),.

I realize I left players out but for me that's where the uncertainty truly is. Does Kudrna stay? I think he actually leaves and that if he does that it will be a good thing for both him and the Rebels. He is a talented player but I think he is a hole that can be filled and that at times when he takes nights off that he can be more costly than he is worth. That still leaves two 20 year old spots. I agree that Weller comes back and that if he does he gets one of those spots. That leaves one more 20 year old spot which at this time I would be willing to see who is available. I don't think we need to sign a D man with a ton of young Dmen in the system ready to play including Doetzel so that could spell the end for Borejko that then leaves Cowen who a lot of people on here believe is key. I tend to disagree I think ever since his suspension he has been a different player and that if he were to come back he would play on the third or fourth line. 20 year old forwards should not play on the third or fourth line so I would sign another forward (if one became available) or even....use this to see if any 20 year old goalies were available. I still don't like 20 year old goalies but this season changed my mind slightly and with us bidding for the 2013 Mem cup then there is no way we trade away too much to get a goalie in return.

I think the 2013 bid will impact how next season plays out. If we are able to get the bid then who knows maybe we even trade the nuge later in the year to get return for the next year. He is very unlikely to be here as a 19 year old so if you win the bid for the Mem cup you may think that way. If they don't win the bid then I think we have some very good talented prospects coming up to help fill the rest of the team! Mcmurphy, Mccoy, and others will look great and this team could challenge for it all! Just need a #1 goalie to back stop the team. If that happens then we could be in for another fun year!

Kelsey Rocque
04-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Kudrna plays like a Euro. He is lazy most of the time, doesn't go on the backcheck at all, and just all round is a lazy player.

SectionNDeserter
04-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Kudrna plays like a Euro. He is lazy most of the time, doesn't go on the backcheck at all, and just all round is a lazy player.He was actually backchecking hard at the start of the season, and playing hard on the boards. As the season went on he eased off on both of those, until he was barely doing either by the end of the season. Still wouldn't turn my nose up at a guy capable of putting up 30+ goals though.

Kelsey Rocque
04-23-2011, 12:55 AM
The majority are his goals are probably on the power play and a result of RNH. He is tremendously skilled but he only tries every second game which is why I don't like him.

Billy's Got A Gun!
04-23-2011, 02:04 PM
In response to Rebelsfan13 (Reply #18), I wish I was as optimistic as you are! I hope you are right and if all of these things unfold, we should all get together and buy some lottery tickets. We can stop in Winnipeg on the way to the Memorial Cup and pick up our winnings!

rednex50
04-25-2011, 03:22 PM
At least you have a team to speculate about for next season.

Our season is done...and we have no team (so far) for next season...so all the off-season fun is out the window.

Red celtic
04-26-2011, 12:50 PM
At least you have a team to speculate about for next season.

Our season is done...and we have no team (so far) for next season...so all the off-season fun is out the window.

Feel real bad for you folks in Chilliwack you got a real bum deal. The league looks Micky Mouse in the way they went about this transfer there had to be a better way. Hope you get a team real soon.

west coast
04-26-2011, 06:55 PM
it just proves that you need local ownership to make things work.Red Deer is a very healthy franchise.I love going to Rebel games, and the attendance is always strong.

Switch14
04-27-2011, 06:38 AM
I think Nugent will be back simply because he lacks the size and confidence to play at a higher level. If it is one thing the Medicine Hat series showed, it is that he needs more time to develop.

Pouliot apparently had a good season with his midget team, so he may be a starter. If not, Guhle might have potential. It's hard to judge a goalie that never got a chance to play that much and gain a little confidence. If not, there is always the option of trading for a goalie.

Ideally, I think it would be best if Weller, Froese, and Cowen come back. However, I don't think Froese or Weller will return. Kudrna is such a skilled player when he wants to be but he is lazy when you really need him to step up, so I care less if he returns. Anyways, I find it likely that Cowen, Borejko, and Kudrna come back as 20 year olds.

I think another player worth some discussion is whether or not Persson returns. I think he has a hell of a career in front of him now that he is playing so confidently.

Lastly, we have several fairly solid players returning so we should be hurting too bad. Elson, Kambeitz, Siwak, Petrovic, Dumba, and Deagle definitely help our line up.

The place I see the real problem is the young players on our team. Our fourth line players (Muller, Ness, Mayor, Robinson) definitely need to improve and step it up which they yet may because they are young. Pufahl and Grayson seemed alright.
I hate to break it to you but poulet had a sub pair year not even finnishing over a 900% wasnt even the starter for the royals knight was, poulet maybe played 35% of the games

Kelsey Rocque
04-29-2011, 09:11 PM
Ah, the folks who sit by us at the games said he had a good season. Shame if he didn't.

Switch14
05-02-2011, 02:20 PM
ya with goaltenders numbers don't lie