PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Roster

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
05-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Been too quiet on here lately, so I figured we needed to get some discussion going. Who does everyone see making the team next year? Break it down by lines and feel free to include prospects eligible to join this year.

I'll get mine up later tonight.

Arthur Fonzerelli
05-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Will Brad Hoban be back in SC or will he play for his old friend Len Barrie's Victoria Grizzlies in the BCHL?

shushu
05-03-2011, 07:36 PM
who or what the bronco's will take with the 2nd pick...dman /forward...just wondering..................

Toswammi
05-03-2011, 10:20 PM
who or what the your bronco's will take with the 2nd pick...dman /forward...just wondering..................

Virtanen?? I really don't know, haven't heard anything

shushu
05-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Virtanen?? I really don't know, haven't heard anything

more than likly calgary takes martin, swift takes virtanen, and the canes take pilon, was just wondering how bad speedycreek wanted a good dman in a draft loaded with good forward and only a hand full of great rear gaurds...........thanks.........

Toswammi
05-04-2011, 07:52 AM
more than likly calgary takes martin, swift takes virtanen, and the canes take pilon, was just wondering how bad speedycreek wanted a good dman in a draft loaded with good forward and only a hand full of great rear gaurds...........thanks.........

I dunno, while I think picking up a solid defenseman is what they should be doing, the general mood amongst some fans I know is to grab a top forward here.

Brandon
05-04-2011, 11:01 AM
I took a peak at the prospect list that Alan has on his blog for SC. Seems to me if I were them I would grab Virtannen. There are a few pretty good D man on that list. Virtanen is the top end forward in the draft I don't know if they want to let him slide away. Grab him at 2 and a D man at 13.

Toswammi
05-04-2011, 01:16 PM
I am going on the record hoping we pick Virt. (going by interviews, player summaries and mock drafts.)

Toswammi
05-05-2011, 08:16 AM
OK Cheeseburger, I will bite :)

G:
Tendler
Bow/Mayland

*Don't know about the back-up, but I can see one of those two guys fighting for it. Mayland was picked in the Ice trade, but hasn't committed (that I know of).
I think that Smith may get moved, especially if one of the young guys shines.
I am also wondering out loud if Boes in Brandon would be available as they have Liston (same age) ahead of him on the depth chart.

D:
Evans
Reum/Craig
Scarlett
Nedomlel
Muth
Heatherington

I just don't see either Verdino or Aasman making the team this year. That leaves six returning defensemen, I could see a player like Craig moved to open up a spot of Heatherington to slot in the top six (if they feel he is ready). I think if makes the team, they want him playing a regular shift.

For the seventh defenseman, I have no idea, but expect a 17/18 yr old to occupy that spot. Maybe Clark, if they go for an older player, or a list player they have picked up over the past year.

F:
Cave
Black
Gordon
Blanke
Olson
Magnus
Derko
Cameron
Lowry
Vause*
Hoban*
Howorko
Bloom
Peddle/Wager*
Richardson
Mackay/Sinatynski

*I am pretty sure Bruce won't be coming back to the team this year (a la M. Hay last year)
I think Cuda Gordon will shine in camp and make this team this year
I have Richardson on the list, because I feel that he will show up at camp this year, he hasn't committed to anything for next year (that I know of)
I wouldn't mind moving Hoban for a player like Dziurzynski either
I have Mackay/Sinatynski listed together at the end, both will be 16 this year, and talent wise I think both have a shot to make the team. However because they are that age I could see them returned to their club teams, but will be the first guys called up should a forward or two go down. Just a hunch after Lamb admitting that his young guys this year (Howorko/Smith) would have been better fitted for not playing in SC to get playing time.
Lastly I just realized I don't have signed guys like Hopkins or Zetner listed either

The one big crap shoot here also is the Euro draft. Lamb was over in Europe and got to talk first hand to players/agents and see some play. I believe we pick 6th in that draft this year, and can land a big time player there. I have also heard rumors about them having a real good talent lined up already. Now whether this guy is a tender or a forward remains to be seen, but if it is a tender then slot him above Tendler (who I doubt will come back in a back-up position), if he is a forward, then there may be a move to reduce numbers or trade down a year or something.

This is all my opinion and as such is likely to completely off base, but there it is. Pick away.

TourettesGuy
05-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Richardson has been to like 6/7 universities and rejected an offer from Boston College. I don't think he's heading to Swift Current unfortunately.

Tamal_SC
05-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Well it begins...Broncos released Bruce and Aasman....

http://www.scbroncos.com/article/broncos-release-bruce-and-aasman

FIVE FOR FIGHTING
05-10-2011, 01:25 PM
No surprises there.

Broncs in RD
05-11-2011, 05:20 AM
Here is what I think the roster may look like.

Lowry-Black-Richardson(if he commits) (Size, playmaking, speed, skill)
Cameron-Vause-Magnus (Solid line)
Howorko-Zentner-Derko(gives you a bit of size, great work ethic)
Hopkins-MacKay-Gordon (could be a top line when we become contenders)
Bloom-Cave
If Richardson does not commit then we trade a dman, hoban, or wagner for a good 17-19 y/o.
Could also see a few of cameron/Hoban/Peddle/Vause/Evans/Craig/Ruem/Verdino traded

Scarlett-Heathrington
Muth-Ruem
Craig-Nedomel
Clark/Evans
Euro Goalie
(?)

Arthur Fonzerelli
05-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Richardson has been to like 6/7 universities and rejected an offer from Boston College. I don't think he's heading to Swift Current unfortunately.

NCAA regulations stipulate that you are only allowed a maximum of 5 expense paid visits to prospective schools.

Brandon
05-12-2011, 02:30 PM
NCAA regulations stipulate that you are only allowed a maximum of 5 expense paid visits to prospective schools.

In a lot of cases you would only have to get a kid to one to show him that may be the choice he wants to make. If a kid grew up dreaming of playing in the WHL maybe you have the upper hand. But the truth is you are talking about athletes who fly to games in some cases first class. Stay at high end beautiful hotels. Get tons of development time. Get to play in front of huge crowds. Not to mention the lifestyle of college is very appealing to some, and lets face it a coed environment at the school isn't going to hurt.

The truth is the NCAA offers a ton to young athletes. I love the WHL but if I was a 15/16 year old kid I would seriously be weighing my options. If I am a great student maybe the NCAA really has the perks I want. The truth is the WHL is all business of hockey. Yes the education program is just as good as the NCAA offers but do I want to play 72 games a season and take long bus rides? Not to mention that if I choose school I can always leave after a year and finish in the WHL. Can't start in the WHL and go to an NCAA school.

Arthur Fonzerelli
05-12-2011, 06:46 PM
In a lot of cases you would only have to get a kid to one to show him that may be the choice he wants to make. If a kid grew up dreaming of playing in the WHL maybe you have the upper hand. But the truth is you are talking about athletes who fly to games in some cases first class. Stay at high end beautiful hotels. Get tons of development time. Get to play in front of huge crowds. Not to mention the lifestyle of college is very appealing to some, and lets face it a coed environment at the school isn't going to hurt.

This statement applies to only about 10-15 of the 58 Div1 NCAA teams. The majority of arenas wouldn't even be at the JrA level. The NCAA is equally as overhyped as the WHL. If you are not on one of those top 10-15 NCAA Div1 teams you won't be living and travelling in luxury.

YourHonor
05-12-2011, 10:14 PM
There are other things to consider when deciding between the WHL and NCAA: for example, with the exceptions of a business or education degree, playing hockey while getting a university degree is not an easy task - it takes a student willing to work very hard. Juggling workouts, classes, labs, daily practices, homework, and games of course, is very demanding for most players. This is not football - you actually have to make decent grades. Then, you are also assuming that the player actually GETS TO PLAY GAMES. Except for the very elite (or drafted) players, most others see very limited time as a freshman. I know of one player who played his very first NCAA game as a sophmore (2nd year student). Not much fun there.
There are very solid reasons to choose NCAA over major Junior, but you have to be realistic about your abilities and your goals.

Brandon
05-13-2011, 08:12 AM
There are other things to consider when deciding between the WHL and NCAA: for example, with the exceptions of a business or education degree, playing hockey while getting a university degree is not an easy task - it takes a student willing to work very hard. Juggling workouts, classes, labs, daily practices, homework, and games of course, is very demanding for most players. This is not football - you actually have to make decent grades. Then, you are also assuming that the player actually GETS TO PLAY GAMES. Except for the very elite (or drafted) players, most others see very limited time as a freshman. I know of one player who played his very first NCAA game as a sophmore (2nd year student). Not much fun there.
There are very solid reasons to choose NCAA over major Junior, but you have to be realistic about your abilities and your goals.

Playing time is just as much an issue for the WHL. Look at a kid as a 16 year old playing 36 games, he is missing just as many as the kid watching the entire NCAA season (this also seems anecdotal and probably is rare), I would suspect many freshman play a very small amount but so do most rookie WHLers. Even in the 36 games that rookie gets into a large percentage of them he is going to spend in the middle of the bench playing odds and evens with the other rookie in the lineup.

As for Arthur's top 10-15 schools only having good facilities, I think probably a good number of the facilities are at the very least competitive with most Jr A rinks and some are much better. Come on Moose Jaw's arena is outdoing any NCAA facility? I don't think so. There are pits in every league but from the people I have talked to who played NCAA hockey (for the most part definitely not at a top 10 or 15 school) they loved the facilities and life and felt it was a huge upgrade on their WHL lives.

The biggest problem with the NCAA is Paul Kelly's group and the poor way they have handled it. The fighting and insulting is terrible from that side and they need to learn to sell their league. The NCAA is a great league and probably is the best route for a large percentage of young players. Yes it takes hard work to study and play, but the truth is many of the CHL players who could have played NCAA will do the same when they leave the CHL for CIS schools.

The WHL wins in pro prep, visibility and prospect pool right now. The WHL is the perfect place for a player who is going to be a high end prospect with good pro potential or a player who may not want to go to university and would prefer a technical school, college or other training institution. The WHL's versatile education program trumps the NCAA be a mile. It all depends on what type of player you are and where you see yourself in the future.

ol' skool
05-13-2011, 09:49 AM
The NCAA is a fine place to go if you have no hope of going pro or one of the few with elite talent that will make the show regardless. There is no experience like game experience.

Brandon
05-13-2011, 10:37 AM
The NCAA is a fine place to go if you have no hope of going pro or one of the few with elite talent that will make the show regardless. There is no experience like game experience.

Myth....... Lots of players from the NCAA turn pro and it has proven of late to be a great proving ground. I would think most people are happy with Ryan Kesler of late? It is no different if you want to be an NHLer you have to be an elite CHLer or NCAA player. Turning pro on the other hand, there are tons of league to become a pro and both leagues offer a route to that life if you choose it.

If you want to be an elite player on the fast track to the NHL without a question the CHL is the way to go. But if you are that good you will get there regardless of your decision.

YourHonor
05-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Playing time is just as much an issue for the WHL. Look at a kid as a 16 year old playing 36 games, he is missing just as many as the kid watching the entire NCAA season (this also seems anecdotal and probably is rare), I would suspect many freshman play a very small amount but so do most rookie WHLers. Even in the 36 games that rookie gets into a large percentage of them he is going to spend in the middle of the bench playing odds and evens with the other rookie in the lineup.

As for Arthur's top 10-15 schools only having good facilities, I think probably a good number of the facilities are at the very least competitive with most Jr A rinks and some are much better. Come on Moose Jaw's arena is outdoing any NCAA facility? I don't think so. There are pits in every league but from the people I have talked to who played NCAA hockey (for the most part definitely not at a top 10 or 15 school) they loved the facilities and life and felt it was a huge upgrade on their WHL lives.

The biggest problem with the NCAA is Paul Kelly's group and the poor way they have handled it. The fighting and insulting is terrible from that side and they need to learn to sell their league. The NCAA is a great league and probably is the best route for a large percentage of young players. Yes it takes hard work to study and play, but the truth is many of the CHL players who could have played NCAA will do the same when they leave the CHL for CIS schools.

The WHL wins in pro prep, visibility and prospect pool right now. The WHL is the perfect place for a player who is going to be a high end prospect with good pro potential or a player who may not want to go to university and would prefer a technical school, college or other training institution. The WHL's versatile education program trumps the NCAA be a mile. It all depends on what type of player you are and where you see yourself in the future.

Agreed. It would also be very, very good for NCAA hockey if they would give up their view that because some major Junior hockey players are signed by pro teams, all are deemed ineligible to play at the NCAA level. It's a ridiculous stance to assume that a 16 or 17 year old player who may have dressed for 40 - 50 games a year (and maybe gets less than 5 minutes of ice time a game) should be treated the same as a signed (or pro) player. Imagine what would happen to the CHL if the NCAA allowed 16 & 17 year olds to play major junior and still retain their NCAA eligibility! I think you would see a stampede of these young players abandoning their CHL teams in favour of pursuing an NCAA scholarship. Just my opinion.

Brandon
05-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Agreed. It would also be very, very good for NCAA hockey if they would give up their view that because some major Junior hockey players are signed by pro teams, all are deemed ineligible to play at the NCAA level. It's a ridiculous stance to assume that a 16 or 17 year old player who may have dressed for 40 - 50 games a year (and maybe gets less than 5 minutes of ice time a game) should be treated the same as a signed (or pro) player. Imagine what would happen to the CHL if the NCAA allowed 16 & 17 year olds to play major junior and still retain their NCAA eligibility! I think you would see a stampede of these young players abandoning their CHL teams in favour of pursuing an NCAA scholarship. Just my opinion.

I totally agree. Allow them to move until they are 20. So they could move in every year except their overage year and they would have tons of kids going the other way begging to get out of the CHL. The CHL would have to obviously add a clause to their education agreement. I talked to one player who played in the NCAA. He played his junior in a western Canadian Jr A league and got paid more than his friends that played WHL hockey. So are they going to ever look at these leagues as being pro? Of course not. The NCAA needs to make a move to seem more open to athletes and this would be huge. Sure you wouldn't be pulling the top off of every team but you could still get some darn good players to move over. The NCAA is focused on hating the CHL and that is a big issue.

Another issue they have is their view of players who leave early. They treat players who leave before their 4 years is up as deserters not as shining examples of the strength of their program. If they started talking about these players even more young athletes would see that there is potential to move to the NHL through the NCAA quickly.

I know I sound pro NCAA and Anti CHL but the truth is I am just about good hockey. Having watched 14 year olds start to contemplate this very difficult and life altering decision, I have come to the realization that one is not necessarily better but it is all about the players needs. These two organizations have been fighting over talent but the kids who have to make the decision are the ones losing out. Its tough to ask a 15 year old to make that decision. "Hey kid want to put on a WHL sweater for a game in exhibition?" whats the kid going to say to that, its so close to the dream for a Canadian kid, especially out west. But just like that his NCAA eligibility is gone. He may never play a regular season game.

Players in that age category need to negotiate their education with a WHL team before ever looking at a game jersey. Players should be asking for education up front, not year by year. If you aren't getting your education up front then go to Jr A and continue to negotiate and keep your options open. If a CHL team really wants a player they will pony up the education dollars right away.

ol' skool
05-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Myth....... Lots of players from the NCAA turn pro and it has proven of late to be a great proving ground. I would think most people are happy with Ryan Kesler of late? It is no different if you want to be an NHLer you have to be an elite CHLer or NCAA player. Turning pro on the other hand, there are tons of league to become a pro and both leagues offer a route to that life if you choose it.

If you want to be an elite player on the fast track to the NHL without a question the CHL is the way to go. But if you are that good you will get there regardless of your decision.

All I am saying is the ncaa is a skill league. I have seen many kids make it pro who weren't that skilled because of the other things they could do (hitting and fighting) who wouldn't have got a chance at NCAA and like it or not the nhl is still looking for these types of players.

Arthur Fonzerelli
05-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Canadian Spaces at NCAA Schools are Diminishing

Since the USHL became a strong alternative for recruiting top end players the number of Canadian players recruited to NCAA teams has diminished. The latest numbers I have are a couple years old but the breakdown for the league of origin for players in the NCAA are:

USHL: 60% of roster spots
EJHL (US East Coast League) and NAHL 15%
CJHL: 20%
Other sources: 5%

This past season the newly appointed head coach at the U of Ohio cut Canadian players to free up scholarship room for American players

The reality is that because of a surge in the number of american kids playing hockey in the last ten years and the development of elite level minor and high school leagues, most coached by high level paid coaches with professional and NCAA experience, the NCAA schools are going north of the border less and less to find players. Several of the top Div1 schools are State sponsored and the political will to grant tax payer subsidized scholarships to Canadians is not anywhere near the level it was when Canada was the premier hockey factory in North America.:eek:

Toswammi
05-20-2011, 08:08 AM
Broncos signed Mayland, I would expect he will be getting every shot to make thus team.

YourHonor
05-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Make the team and then what? Get a chance to play? That's not the m.o. so far. Hope it works better for him.

YourHonor
05-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Canadian Spaces at NCAA Schools are Diminishing

Since the USHL became a strong alternative for recruiting top end players the number of Canadian players recruited to NCAA teams has diminished. The latest numbers I have are a couple years old but the breakdown for the league of origin for players in the NCAA are:

USHL: 60% of roster spots
EJHL (US East Coast League) and NAHL 15%
CJHL: 20%
Other sources: 5%

This past season the newly appointed head coach at the U of Ohio cut Canadian players to free up scholarship room for American players

The reality is that because of a surge in the number of american kids playing hockey in the last ten years and the development of elite level minor and high school leagues, most coached by high level paid coaches with professional and NCAA experience, the NCAA schools are going north of the border less and less to find players. Several of the top Div1 schools are State sponsored and the political will to grant tax payer subsidized scholarships to Canadians is not anywhere near the level it was when Canada was the premier hockey factory in North America.:eek:

This is true as well. And don't forget that many NCAA Div 1 scholarships are not full rides. Many, many players get only a percentage of the full cost, especially as a freshman. You have to be a bit of a bean counter in order to determine if this route is a good deal, dollar wise.

I also vaguely remember a letter from some school in California a few years ago addressed to a prospect. Can't remember the name of the school, but they hadn't had a hockey team previously and were trying to get one going. To attract prospects, they were promoting the mild climate of the area of course, and the "fact" that the school was noted for having the "hottest" female students as determined by a national survey. First time and last time I have seen that angle. Beats a place like PG, IMO.

Toswammi
05-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Make the team and then what? Get a chance to play? That's not the m.o. so far. Hope it works better for him.

With the goaltenders coming back, I would say if you make the team and can consistently make the save, you will get the playing time you deserve.

Call me ignorant, naive, or stupid if you will, but I think Lamb kinda learned a lesson coaching this last year, and will be using his bench a little more this year.

trucker
05-21-2011, 07:55 AM
I hope your right. A rebuilding time in Bronco land and lets hope all the kids get an equall chance to succeed!! Pretty excited here for camp to begin! when is the Euro draft? With Nedomel here wonder what we are gonna pick up? Hopefully it's a player that commits.

Toswammi
05-25-2011, 07:44 PM
To the surprise of few, Richardson is going NCAA.

Tamal_SC
05-26-2011, 02:08 PM
To the surprise of few, Richardson is going NCAA.

Surprised, maybe not...disappointed, DEFINITELY. Oh well, still looking forward to camp!

Toswammi
05-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Surprised, maybe not...disappointed, DEFINITELY. Oh well, still looking forward to camp!

That is about sums it up. I think most fans kinda knew it happen this way (or at least they way it is being reported), however where hoping for better.

Also sucks considering they almost had him comitted around Christmas (so the rumor goes).

trucker
05-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Probably for the best anyway, I guess. Nobody wants a player on the team that would rather be somewhere else. I personally call NCAA a poor choice over the CHL, but each to his own. Who knows how he would have developed? Bantamn age players have to be the toughest to draft as there are so many variables with them. Good luck to Richardson. NHL scouts will notice him if he develops, but at 5'8 and playing in a league that isn't exactly "a grind" like the Dub, I'd say he just chose the toughest possible route to get to the big show. :laugh:

TourettesGuy
06-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Probably for the best anyway, I guess. Nobody wants a player on the team that would rather be somewhere else. I personally call NCAA a poor choice over the CHL, but each to his own. Who knows how he would have developed? Bantamn age players have to be the toughest to draft as there are so many variables with them. Good luck to Richardson. NHL scouts will notice him if he develops, but at 5'8 and playing in a league that isn't exactly "a grind" like the Dub, I'd say he just chose the toughest possible route to get to the big show. :laugh:

I see him walk the halls at school and he looks about 5'8 - 5'9, but man is his speed something else, kid can fly. I wish the best for him and I think he can turn into a top end talent if he can stay healthy, next year he can tear up the BCHL with the Grizzlies.

I'm not sure how his game would transition into the WHL if he decided to go that route, he's quick but if he gets hit, chances are he can get injured pretty quickly. But he's a playmaking forward who has great speed and just flew past guys in the BCHL. Kind of reminds me of a Andrew Cogliano. I could see him going anywhere from the late 2nd round to the 4th round in next year's draft.

Tamal_SC
06-20-2011, 01:02 PM
With the loss of Richardson whom I am sure was expected to be an offensive threat for the Broncos for quite a few years, does anyone see Lamb trying to trade for a proven '92 or '93 (18 or 19yr old) goal scorer for next season? I think in a few years this may not be an issue, but right now I think one of the question marks is scoring. If you think a trade will happen who do you think will be moved and do you see it happening before training camp?

Toswammi
06-20-2011, 08:03 PM
With the loss of Richardson whom I am sure was expected to be an offensive threat for the Broncos for quite a few years, does anyone see Lamb trying to trade for a proven '92 or '93 (18 or 19yr old) goal scorer for next season? I think in a few years this may not be an issue, but right now I think one of the question marks is scoring. If you think a trade will happen who do you think will be moved and do you see it happening before training camp?

I could see us moving a D and younger F for one. Actually I kinda expect to see that.