PDA

View Full Version : memorial cup competition

wango tango
05-19-2011, 09:52 AM
http://reganbartel.blogspot.com/2011/05/rockets-look-at-hosting-mc-for-second.html

at first look my order would be

saskatoon, red deer, lethbridge, kelowna, prince george.

Trav
05-19-2011, 10:12 AM
I think the final two will b Saskatoon and Red Deer. I don't think I'd b surprised if the Rebels actually get it though. Just this weird feeling I have

RDRebelsfan
05-19-2011, 02:07 PM
The addition of 1000 more seats on the west side of the Centrium would certainly help the Rebels cause. Could be a huge 2013 for Central Alberta hockey fans, With the Allan Cup being hosted in Red Deer in April and the Memorial Cup possibly in May.

Brandon
05-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Well being in Calgary I am sure pulling for the central division clubs. I think Red Deer has a good crack but somewhere in my heart I am hoping it goes to Lethbridge. Home to my first ever WHL experience as a kid, I would love to go to my third cup there.

grainbear
05-19-2011, 05:30 PM
I am sick and tired of teams who have already hosted the cup being allowed to host it once again.Brandon has shown that small markets can be successful so why allow others to reapply. I would like to see a CHL rule in place that no team can host the event unless the other facility is not up to standards or they choose not to apply then the others can apply. Will most likely never happen because Canada Hockey gets far too much money for this event instead. They need to look for other sources of revenue .Besides the Memorial Cup subsidy.

sbtatter
05-20-2011, 03:43 PM
The addition of 1000 more seats on the west side of the Centrium would certainly help the Rebels cause. Could be a huge 2013 for Central Alberta hockey fans, With the Allan Cup being hosted in Red Deer in April and the Memorial Cup possibly in May.

We had the Mem cup and RBC cup in dauphin last year, 2 great events within a 90 minute drive of each other within the same month, Western Mb was a great place to be!!

Trav
05-20-2011, 03:47 PM
I am sick and tired of teams who have already hosted the cup being allowed to host it once again.Brandon has shown that small markets can be successful so why allow others to reapply. I would like to see a CHL rule in place that no team can host the event unless the other facility is not up to standards or they choose not to apply then the others can apply. Will most likely never happen because Canada Hockey gets far too much money for this event instead. They need to look for other sources of revenue .Besides the Memorial Cup subsidy.

How is it greed if teams have only hosted it once b4? Relax guy lol. Seriously the major factor in determining who hosts the cup should b what the team will potentially look like that year.

Brandon
05-20-2011, 04:10 PM
I agree with Trav, the deciding factor should be the assumed potential of the team to be competitive. That probably puts Saskatoon back a bit in all fairness. But I want the cup to go to the team that will be competitive and the host group that will put on a great event, even if they have hosted it lots before. I don't think its good if they keep going back to one city regularly, but lets face it, if Kelowna gets it because it throws a good event well then that works. The Blades haven't had it since 1989 thats a long time for that. I don't think it would hurt to consider fan support too, it is a nice reward for the fans.

hotdog-pocket
05-21-2011, 01:54 PM
The two biggest things considered are the potential quality of the team (and whether or not that team has the staff in place to properly build a champ. team) and the potential revenue of the event.

Saskatoon definitely grades well in the revenue aspect. And let's face it...Saskatoon might not be "a hockey town" but it definitely is an "event town". People show up on record levels for big events (Brier, Vanier Cup, World Jr's, etc)

They will get it.

wango tango
05-26-2011, 01:16 PM
http://www.saskatoonhomepage.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32524&Itemid=422

we should know this fall who gets the 2013 memorial cup.

Joe Hallenback
05-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Lethbridge will get it

wango tango
05-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Lethbridge will get it

care to share why you feel that way?

right now i'm ranking them...

saskatoon
red deer
lethbridge
prince george
kelowna

if the article is right and the bids get short listed...

saskatoon
red deer
lethbridge

are my final three, with each having a little different strengths of team, facilities, history, fan support, profit, previous events, and ammenities/infrastructure.

lordstanley
05-26-2011, 01:53 PM
2 horse race in my opinion between saskatoon and red deer, lethbridge simply does not have the 50 ppl like us and red deer have and thats huge, another thing is us and red deer are more central in there own provence

Joe Hallenback
05-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Reasons I think Lethbridge will get it

1. It will go to a Central division team for sure since both the east and west have hosted it the last 4 times(Brandon,Vancouver,Regina and Kelowna)

2. They do have a very good crop of 15 and 16 year olds. By the time 2013 rolls around I think Lethbridge will a really good team. Couple that with 5 top 50 picks in this years draft and they have the assets to add if they need and will do.

3. Just some rumor mongering I picked up throughout the year that Lethbridge would get it. Although I think Red Deer has a good shot as well

lordstanley
05-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Reasons I think Lethbridge will get it

1. It will go to a Central division team for sure since both the east and west have hosted it the last 4 times(Brandon,Vancouver,Regina and Kelowna)

2. They do have a very good crop of 15 and 16 year olds. By the time 2013 rolls around I think Lethbridge will a really good team. Couple that with 5 top 50 picks in this years draft and they have the assets to add if they need and will do.

3. Just some rumor mongering I picked up throughout the year that Lethbridge would get it. Although I think Red Deer has a good shot as well

Yeah but look at the dollars saskatoon would bring in with a 15,000 seat arena this city has proved over and over it can host huge events and this one is no different that will play a key role

grainbear
05-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Back to when the sportsplexs was built events Canada games, Alberta Cup for 2 years in arow, this year and next,Scott Tournament of Hearts Womens world curling championships, almost sold out and this is not untill late next spring, volunteers already lined up like flys on an ice cream cone. 33 millions in renovations, new suites, concessions , lounge,videotron , digital 50/50 early bid , team player list the strongest on paper for that time period, Say what you want the homework is being done and they are certainly going to be a strong bid . Red Deer just like us will have a strong bid. May the chips fall where they may .

Rocketsfan
05-26-2011, 10:06 PM
All that I know is almost a given is Kelowna won't be getting it again in 2013.

I think from a neutral standpoint it's between Saskatoon and Red Deer based on how big their markets are and past big event experience. Just don't know how competitive those teams will be in 2013.

Either way, I'll likely be there.

rednex50
05-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Guarantee it will not be Chilliwack :dead:

BladesFan_2010
06-01-2011, 05:18 PM
The Blades don't deserve it.

They won't make the finals even with their record of underperforming when it counts.