PDA

View Full Version : prospects camp

booboo
05-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Anyone going to the on ice sessions? Could you tell us who looked good etc.?

Boltz9
05-27-2011, 08:11 PM
I was there for the camp tonight and might go again tomorrow morning.

I'll name a couple guys that stood out for me, most of them will be pretty obvious because they will be the older kids.

Daniel Asham, Dakota Conroy, Carter Proft, and perhaps Cody Nelson as well will all have a decent shot at making the team this year.

Both goalies seemed to do pretty well, Papirny should be a good goalie.

Nikkel should push for a spot on defence, but its hard to say when none of the regulars are there to compare him too.

Pankewicz looked like the best defenceman out there to me.

If I head there tomorrow morning I'll remember to bring a pen so I can write down what I see.

Joe Hallenback
05-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Asham is going to be a good player. Conroy looks bigger and stronger this year. Proft will challenge for a spot. Nelson looked impressive as well.

Nikkel was the best D man IMO out there today. Pankewicz is going to be awesome I think as well.

I thought all the goalies looked really good as well

Boltz9
05-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Couple notes from the intrasquad game today.

Harms and Proft were the two forwards that stood out for me.

Asham and Nelson didn't look as good as they did on Friday.

Jack Palmer could make the team next year.

Pankewicz looked great again, really likes to jump up an should be a good offensive defenceman.

Goalies both looked good again.

Pulock was out there and as per usual he looked like god on skates.

Joe Hallenback
05-30-2011, 07:09 AM
Jack Palmer - Interesting looking kid. Got real good size to him and can skate. He looks like a WHL player.

Mackenzie Bauer - Wow what a talent. He is real small they have him listed at 5'7. If he can grow an inch or 2 this year we have a nice little gem here

Brendan Harms - Looked alot better today. Kid has alot of talent and he is used to the bigger guys from his time in Junior A

Aryton Nikkel - Dominate. If he does not make the team I will be shocked if he does not make this team

Kord Pankewicz - Wow can this kid ever skate. Drooling at the thought of him making end to end rushes already.

Fuhr and Papirny - Both were very good. Looked fundamentally sound.

Dakota Conroy - Little disappointed with him. Looked to be going not as hard as the others. Hopefully he picks it up at main camp this year

Carter Proft - looked much more confident. I expect he will challenge for a spot

Cody Nelson - Kind of an up and down type of game. I expect with the cages off he will shine a little more

John Quennville - Big kid already going to get bigger. Raw yet but I think a year from now we will be pretty happy with this kid

Tanner Jago - Another Defenseman that I think will have a shot. Lot of skill here and he looked bigger then his listed 6'0 180

Danny Asham - Less dominate today but still looks a step above most of the kids here.

Overall a nice group of prospects. All these kids can skate and it is pretty clear that is a top priority for the Wheat Kings scouting staff. What concerns me is a lack of size but it is tough to tell with these kids because alot of them will come back here next year a couple of inches taller.

sbtatter
05-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Guys who looked good to me

Nikkel - Could be a stud
Thom - Looked pretty composed
Palmer - Looked a bit like Seaman
Harms - Obviously a class above everyone else
Proft - A big forward that should make the team
Waltz - Tries to hit a lot, a more offensive Miller
Quenneville - Looked like a big body who can skate and play

booboo
05-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Can some of you guys who saw the prospects this weekend predict what our roster will look like next year? Some questions that I have are as follows: I would like to see what you fans think of my comments.
1. The overage question---Melnychuck only--no Ciarelli( not tough or talented enough to occupy an overage spot). No Gustaffson--once again not good enough to be a 2 spotter. Find some overagers from other teams that have too many to keep or don't bother. Let a 17 year old play and develop.It would be be nice to find a MacKay type player. Kelly Mc seems to be good at doing this.
2. Address the tough guy question as Ferland is too valuable on the ice to be scrapping too much.
3.With all the assets this team has I would like to see two things happen to strengthen the team. Firstly, the goaltending question. If Curtis Honey is good enough I think trading one of Boes or Liston would bring the required offensive player this team will need. Secondly, trading one or two of your 7 defencemen once again for offence and giving your top end prospects like Nikkel, Kuczek, and Waltz a chance to play. Making these two moves would certainly help for the upcoming season without losing any top prospects.
It looks to me as if Kelly has a decision to make as to whether he makes moves to strengthen the team this year before he loses Stone and Ferland or waits for next year by going young and playing his top 17 year old prospects. No matter what he does it appears to me the Wheatking prospects have never looked better as evidenced by the performances of some of the higher bantam picks like Palmer, Bauer, Harms,Cooper etc. Kudos to the scouting staff and Kelly Mc for running a first class organization. Comments?:)

Joe Hallenback
05-30-2011, 10:19 AM
I agree about Thom he was a big kid out there I didn't realize he was only 15 till much later. Hopefully he rounds out his game this coming year.

Waltz was a bit all over the place for my liking. Maybe he will settle down at main camp.

looking at our team for next season

Stone(19) Ferland(19) Walker(19)
Seaman(17)) Swyripa(18) Meuiller(18)
Favreau(18)

Pulock(17) Melnychuk(20)
Fransoo(18) Miller(19)
Roy (17) Hunter(18)
Galbraith(18)

Liston(18)
Boes(18)

In my mind

Asham and Harms are near locks to play. Conroy,Proft and Nelson I think will all make it as well. I Think McGauley should make it too. Palmer I think will be a nice dark horse.

That is 7 guys fighting for 7 spots? That is not including any Euros they bring in either or trades or overagers.

I cannot see them leaving Nikkel out this year. He will be here and play every other game. Too bad Kuczek was hurt but I think he has a shot as well.

I really wonder if they make a deal for an Overager and/or a 19 year old forward before the season starts. We have so many decent young D men it just seems like the logical thing to happen

sbtatter
05-30-2011, 04:36 PM
I agree about Thom he was a big kid out there I didn't realize he was only 15 till much later. Hopefully he rounds out his game this coming year.

Waltz was a bit all over the place for my liking. Maybe he will settle down at main camp.

Favreau(18)

Pulock(17) Melnychuk(20)
Fransoo(18) Miller(19)
Roy (17) Hunter(18)
Galbraith(18)

Liston(18)
Boes(18)

In my mind

Asham and Harms are near locks to play. Conroy,Proft and Nelson I think will all make it as well. I Think McGauley should make it too. Palmer I think will be a nice dark horse.

That is 7 guys fighting for 7 spots? That is not including any Euros they bring in either or trades or overagers.

I cannot see them leaving Nikkel out this year. He will be here and play every other game. Too bad Kuczek was hurt but I think he has a shot as well.

I really wonder if they make a deal for an Overager and/or a 19 year old forward before the season starts. We have so many decent young D men it just seems like the logical thing to happen

Kuczek is ready to play in the dub. I agree about waltz maybe roaming too much, they should be able to work that out of his system. IMO, Kuczek is ready for full time duty, Nikkel should play 45 games and waltz could wait a year. But realistically, some of them will be traded for scorers....

Brandon
05-31-2011, 08:00 AM
Guys who looked good to me

Nikkel - Could be a stud
Thom - Looked pretty composed
Palmer - Looked a bit like Seaman
Harms - Obviously a class above everyone else
Proft - A big forward that should make the team
Waltz - Tries to hit a lot, a more offensive Miller
Quenneville - Looked like a big body who can skate and play

Can you give me a little more on what you thought of Thom? Saw a ton of this kid this year and I think he may develop to be a lot better than his draft position. He is pretty raw and has lots of learning to do but he isn't shy about learning it would appear.

Also on Quenneville, I think the Wheat Kings made out like bandits on this kid. He has fantastic vision and isn't scared of anywhere on the ice. I think from time to time he can get a hair complacent but he has a skill set that should make fans excited. He is big but I personally think he will actually drop some weight first but I think he will over his career put it back on as a more muscular lean frame and be a monster on the ice. I watched only a bit of this kid in league play and from what I saw I thought he would be a lot higher. His game has some awesome potential.

brandonboy
05-31-2011, 03:37 PM

Favreau(18)

Pulock(17) Melnychuk(20)
Fransoo(18) Miller(19)
Roy (17) Hunter(18)
Galbraith(18)

Liston(18)
Boes(18)

In my mind

Galbraith has played forward before i beleave. So what do you think about moving him up to the 4th line and making more room on the D for some of the youngsters. I think Spencer would be a nice little plug grinding it out as a forward.

booboo
05-31-2011, 05:04 PM
Certainly an upgrade over Favreau---much tougher and plays with passion as well as a year younger. Sounds like A great idea.:bounce:

Wheatie Pete
05-31-2011, 11:37 PM
I have heard that they are going young with the defense and Mely will be traded. I personally like Brodie and would keep him, but all of those young guys have a season and one playoff round under their belts. So who knows.

Galbraith is KM's typical swing guy, he's had one for as long as I remember. I actually like him as a 3rd or 4th line energy guy that can mix it up and bang some bodies. Let Ferland show his skill rather than his fists. His hands are more valuable scoring than fighting this year.

Johnny Table
06-01-2011, 08:32 AM
I have heard that they are going young with the defense and Mely will be traded. I personally like Brodie and would keep him, but all of those young guys have a season and one playoff round under their belts. So who knows.

Galbraith is KM's typical swing guy, he's had one for as long as I remember. I actually like him as a 3rd or 4th line energy guy that can mix it up and bang some bodies. Let Ferland show his skill rather than his fists. His hands are more valuable scoring than fighting this year.

They are going YOUNG???? WOW.Where o where would you get that idea??? #3 is not GOING ANYWHERE. He is a career WK and wheather ppl hate it or not will be the CAPTAIN of this team. Where you not the guy who " Ive heard Glennie is being traded,"Ive heard this about this guy around town" ? Well if ppl in brandon listened to everything they "HEARD" We would have more to talk about than TMZ.

Wheatie Pete
06-01-2011, 11:14 AM
I meant going young, by shipping Mely and bringing in another 16 or 17 year old in his place. You douche. Pretty evident they are young. I like Brody don't want him traded. Just heard if there is a taker he will more than likely be gone.

Glennie almost did go to the Blades it came down to the last minute,but they wouldn't sell the entire farm for Glennie and Schenn. Also Benson from the Blades refused the trade.

I recall you spouting off at the mouth, that you had knowledge from a LA scout that Schenn would not be moved as they wanted him after the WK's were bounced from the playoffs. That panned out as some pretty good insiders knowledge on your part.

scruffy1
06-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Pulock,Roy and Melynchuk all have a soft or finesse style in the d zone. Miller can bang in the corners but doesn't have the size to punish in front of the net.
Fransoo can be physical when he is at his best. Hunter doesn't do anything outstanding one way or the other. Just a steady 3rd pairing kind of guy.
Seemed to me last year the WK's were missing somebody to clear the front of the net and that really showed against the Tigers. When they started driving to the net that series was over.

Johnny Table
06-01-2011, 03:16 PM
I meant going young, by shipping Mely and bringing in another 16 or 17 year old in his place. You douche. Pretty evident they are young. I like Brody don't want him traded. Just heard if there is a taker he will more than likely be gone.

Glennie almost did go to the Blades it came down to the last minute,but they wouldn't sell the entire farm for Glennie and Schenn. Also Benson from the Blades refused the trade.

I recall you spouting off at the mouth, that you had knowledge from a LA scout that Schenn would not be moved as they wanted him after the WK's were bounced from the playoffs. That panned out as some pretty good insiders knowledge on your part.

Well if you would watch Hockey shows you would have seen the comments AT THE WJ by the Kings scout DOUCHE. What is that a grade 5 comeback or a big boy comeback?? SO they trade Mel for a 16 or 17 yr old what Dman? o wait with Waltz,Kuzeck,Nikkel and a darkhorse that wouldnt make much sense would it??? Or maybe a 16,17 yr old forward?? o wait with Conroy,Proft,Asham,Nelson and maybe Palmer where would this 16/17 yr old fit in? One of the D man will be moved but it will not be Mel and it will be for a 18/19 yr old centerman. And to the guy that bashes 25 all the time maybe you should watch the kid. He is a good 2 way Center and will fill one of the 20 yr old spots.

Boltz9
06-01-2011, 03:36 PM

I agree with shipping out Brodie, I think it would be awesome if Kelly could pull off something even close to the Bestland/Mackay trade.

I think Nikkel would be the most likely to step up and make the third pairing.

I also agree with possibly trying out Galbraith in an energy type role which opens up that position for Nikkel.

Usually I would disagree on Ferland, but this year I think they will need him to be in even more of a scoring role, although I'd still love to see him fill in a couple guys when he needs to.

If that all happened the D pairings would end up something like this.

Pulock Miller
Fransoo Roy
Hunter Nikkel

I was wondering what people think Kelly will do on the goalie situation. Personally I can see him keeping both Liston and Boes this year and letting them both have their share of time in the net. Then next year if Papirny or another prospect is ready to come in he will trade either of Liston or Boes.

I also hope Kelly pushes Liston more this year by giving him a bigger share of the ice time, I think he needs it to become the type of goalie that he is expected to be.

Wheat Kings #1
06-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Agree with all that Boltz. In talking with "peaple in the know" after the trade deadline last year besides Schenn the most sought after player was Melnychuck. So with a big need for a "Good" second line here next year I think he could bring in a pretty good player in return. We could probably afford to deal one of our young D-men off our list, Walz or Kuczek for another and hope to get a Euro and things would be set. Our D would still be young and good, Goaltending young and "pretty good" and a young group of good forwards. With lots of draft picks yet to come we should be set up pretty good for a few years.

Joe Hallenback
06-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Well I am not in "the know" but I do talk to people. All I know is they won't trade Melnychuk unless he wants to go.

As for the D last year being too soft. Well they had 2 16 year olds and 3 17 year olds so I mean they are going to be weaker because of age. All those guys will be 1 year or 2 years in this league and that much stronger.

I have heard from a player that KM will start the year with 8 D men on the team Melnychuk,Miller,Pulock,Roy,Hunter,Fransoo,Nikkel, Kuzcek and possibly either Jago or Waltz. Galbrath will be a swing man/energy forward. Guy is tough as nails and suits that roll

He will wait until the overage deadline before he makes any deals like he always does. I expect them to move one of the Goalies and possible one of the young D men for a 17/18 year old forward

booboo
06-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Right on Joe. I agree with everything you said. We need one, possibilty two scoring forwards. Kelly can afford to move one of the goalies plus one of his experienced or rookie defence in order to obtain the needed scoring. I agree that I think he will wait until the overage deadline in Oct. to see if there are any MacKay type players around before pulling the trigger on a major trade. The whole Euro thing is a big crap shoot--we have not been too lucky here unless you omit the Mem Cup year when we had Urbom and Rajala both of whom were very good.

TourettesGuy
06-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Can anyone give me a little report on Jack Palmer? He's from Victoria and a couple of my friends say that he's something else.

Joe Hallenback
06-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Can anyone give me a little report on Jack Palmer? He's from Victoria and a couple of my friends say that he's something else.

I was quite surprised at how good he looked. He looked quite large already and he has good speed. Will be interesting to see how he looks in the main camp he has a good shot at a roster spot because of that size and speed. Reminds me of Seaman sort of coming ahead of guys like Conroy and Proft.

Rocketsfan
06-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Considering the depth that you guys have on D, does Ayrton Nikkel have a good chance of making the team?

The reasons I ask are because first of all, I just drafted him in a whl sim league and second of all, he's from Kelowna.

Joe Hallenback
06-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Considering the depth that you guys have on D, does Ayrton Nikkel have a good chance of making the team?

The reasons I ask are because first of all, I just drafted him in a whl sim league and second of all, he's from Kelowna.

Unless he comes in with a bad attitude he will make the team. He looked ready as a 15 year old and I can only imagine him a little bigger and thicker this year. Saying that KM usually doesn't play 16 year old D men alot and I expect him to only get 50 games or so and to be sheltered unless he stands out