PDA

View Full Version : Hunt/Ripplinger

RWiggum
06-04-2011, 02:21 PM
So what is the scoop with these two guys? They satying or going? Time for Laing to man up and make a decision:groovy:

patsdude114
06-04-2011, 10:02 PM
my guess is they r both staying.... Ripplinger has done a great job the past 3 drafts so i dont see why they would cut him loose. Our draft last year was prob the most depth that Ripplinger has ever drafted, this past years draft is looking to be very solid as well.

As for Hunt, i do think he will be around next season we are expecting to be even younger then we were this past season & why have 2 Head Coaches on ur bottom line when u are not expected to do anything more then u did last year.

The Pats could lose 3 of their possible 4 returning 20yr olds to pro hockey, Mitchell, Davidson & Bidlevskii all could be in the AHL with the only returning guy being Ketlo. But does keeping Ketlo around make sense is the bigger question with the emergence of Hewitt i personally think he is more then capable of carrying the load this coming season.

With 3 very key guys who could all be gone it doesnt make alot of sense to throw another guy in there just to set him up for failure anyways. Play out the remaining year of Hunt's contract & then asset it & see if someone new would be better when guys like Moser, Martell, Stephenson, Klimchuk, Burroughs, Williams are all a year older & more ready for bigger roles within the organization.

I really do feel that the Pats will be a very solid team in 2 yrs, if the Pats can just get into the playoffs next season as the 7th or 8th place team just to get some playoff experience it will go along ways in player development of the young guys. Also i am willing to put money down that Weal WILL be traded either slightly before trade deadline or at trade deadline this coming season. There is no reason to keep him around. I dont think the market will be as good as it was for Eakin & Schenn but Weal will easily be a top 3 player in the WHL next season & will bring a nice package back to Regina which is going to be VERY key in our rebuilding process (which will help speed it up by a few years)

dsquared
06-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Did you say

Ripplinger has done a great job the past 3 drafts

Would you please give me some of what you are drinking or smoking?

Where are the results? Ripplinger is the guy who is in large part is responsible for the teams we have had over the last 10 years. We have had one year where we went to the second round of the playoffs in that time. Even PA has a better playoff record over that time. I hear that in other WHL cities there are stories of teams playing into May(not Mid-March).

The guy goes to the fair and uses the "you must be this high to go on this ride" test and takes anyone that fails as a potential Pat. Teams which traditionally have lower picks than the Pats do a lot more consistent job with their draft picks (Brandon, Medicine Hat, Vancouver, Spokane) sure He has found some good players but he has found more luggage than Air Canada - kids that aren't WHL material or won't commit to the Pats.

However, Lang needs to state ASAP if the Ripplinger and Hunt have jobs here - it is starting to look like the 3 ring circus that goes on in Moose Jaw.,

mjw22
06-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Did you say

Would you please give me some of what you are drinking or smoking?

Where are the results? Ripplinger is the guy who is in large part is responsible for the teams we have had over the last 10 years. We have had one year where we went to the second round of the playoffs in that time. Even PA has a better playoff record over that time. I hear that in other WHL cities there are stories of teams playing into May(not Mid-March).

The guy goes to the fair and uses the "you must be this high to go on this ride" test and takes anyone that fails as a potential Pat. Teams which traditionally have lower picks than the Pats do a lot more consistent job with their draft picks (Brandon, Medicine Hat, Vancouver, Spokane) sure He has found some good players but he has found more luggage than Air Canada - kids that aren't WHL material or won't commit to the Pats.

However, Lang needs to state ASAP if the Ripplinger and Hunt have jobs here - it is starting to look like the 3 ring circus that goes on in Moose Jaw.,

Hey who missed the play offs for the last 3 years and keeps hiring people we fire .:clap:

dsquared
06-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Hey MJW you know exactly what I am talking about. Your team has long term service awards for anyone in management that lasts longer than one season. If you hung unto some of these people you may have gone even farther. Instead your GM's/Coaches are dumped/or quit on a regular basis - from down the highway it looks like a merry go round.

But your point is valid - the Pats have the worst playoff record of all the teams in the East over the last 11 years and the only constant in that period has been Ripplinger. IMO - he is not as good as the hype.

patsdude114
06-11-2011, 12:37 PM
So its Ripplinger's fault that he had an idiot of a GM he was working for?

Parker every year thought he had the team to go somewhere & woudl trade away valueable picks & prospects to get a rental player which never panned out.

Also like i said before the past 3 drafts have been very successful for the Pats... & u say where r the results?? umm seriously?? if u followed the WHL enough ud know that only the draft class of 09 has been able to play in the WHL yet.... take a look at last years draft class Klimchuk, Burroughs, Williams are all going to be gems. To get 3 solid players from a draft is a great job considering the Bantam Draft is a crapshoot at best.

If u had went down to the the Co-Operators Center when the Pats had there prospect camp u would of seen alot of talent on the ice. Plus the top 2 picks from this past years draft were unable to attend due to other hockey commitments.

If the Pats fired Ripplinger he would have another job within 2 weeks in the WHL... i dont think u realize how big of shoes it is to fill when u change Head Scouts, it goes all the way down the line as a new guy wants his own guys as well. Ya go ahead fire Ripplinger i can assure u that our next 3 drafts would be crap forsure & set this franchise back even further then it already is.

Ripplinger wasnt the problem it was the guy calling the shots who was the problem in Brent Parker, this franchise finally has something to look forward too with Lang controlling the hockey side of things. The team on the ice last season not only met but exceeded alot of peoples expectations for the Pats last season. To be fair really we r in year 2 of a rebuild this coming season (altho it felt with Parker in control we were in a rebuild for 15yrs) Lang is going to do this right, Weal will be traded this year to help speed up the rebuild. This franchise was in a complete mess before Lang took over, he is slowly bringing it back to respectable which is still needing some work.

Also Hunt WILL NOT BE FIRED, the Pats are going no where next season, Hunt will be coaching this coming season to see if he is worth resigning to a new contract or bring in a new guy. Why pay out more cash for a team that is going nowhere anyways... doesnt make alot of sense if u have any clue on the business side of any business.

RWiggum
06-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Patsdude 114 I have no idea what ur love affair with Ripplinger is but to suggest changing Head Scouts would put the Pats further back is absurd. Yes Parker has traded picks and future players away and the draft last year was a good one but there are too many lean year around the 95 draft group. The consistency year after year is not there and Lang will and should make changes to the scouting group. I would love to see the Pats organization return to the top of the heap but these changes are a must for that to happen.

patsdude114
06-11-2011, 09:30 PM
I dont see how people think he has done a bad job, his drafting has been no worse then any other teams. All he can do is provide the players but if the coaching sucks & the GM is going to keep dealing them away for rental players his hands are kind of tied.

Changing the Head Scout would not show any results ASAP & if u think it would u really need to get ur head examined. When Ripplinger goes out there & finds arguably the best CHL player in 2010 in Eberle in the 7th round & then finds Weal who has the most points in the last 2 yrs then any other player in the WHL & Weal was a 3rd round pick. Yes there has been a few 1st round flops but EVERY TEAM has those.

We've had ALOT of underachieving teams which DOES NOT fall back on the Head Scout that my friend (err tread water lightly there) comes down to coaching. The teams that were mentioned above with always having good teams & such (BRN, SPO, VAN, MH, CAL) they are good year after year cuz of coaching. Those coaches know how to get the most out of every player they have on their roster. We havent had a great name coach on our team since Mollenken & Preston. Hunt is not a big name coach & never has been but yet Parker thinks he is among the top coaches in our league. Mainly cause of their friendship.

So until u get ur info straight please dont bother posting on this topic as its not the scouting its the coaching that is weak in our organization. Dont get ur hopes up that he will be fired as its mid june already & from a business stand point it doesnt make alot of sense for a team that will most likely be worse then our club this past season.

west coast
06-12-2011, 02:12 PM
has there been any talk of who the new assistants will be.The Pats need a replacement for defensive coach Sutter and goaie coach Cyr.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
06-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Patsdude, its beyond me how you cant see fault in ripplinger's tenure in Regina, seeing as all you need to do is look at our track record and connect the rest of the dots from there. It has just been way too long without success NOT to question his performance, especially when its often the same mistakes being made.

I mean, I can see how you would like ripper, after seeing all the stars that have come through here, as well as an impressive resume of offensively gifted physical defenceman from Derek Morris in '97 to Bell now...but how long has it been the same problems plaguing this team? How long has it been since the pats have been a depth team? Or had a good goaltender? I mean, we usually have that strong defence, and a couple star forwards....but obviously it hasnt been enough to compete or win.

I personally think bad luck has been a factor along with the obvious mistakes made, but when a decade passes without any success, a change must be made regardless. Even with his positives, dumping Ripper still sends a message through the rest of the franchise that they are committed to putting the train back on the tracks. Otherwise, keeping these same people prolonges this team's stagnation, which indicates that perhaps the team isnt concerned enough about winning(which would be no ****ing surprise to anyone that watches this team long enough...)

patsdude114
06-12-2011, 09:13 PM
I still dont understand how people can think it is the scouting when a team underachieves or no recent success... yes to some degree it is scouting but that souly falls on coaching & management.. Parker didnt help this team at all during his 15yrs as GM every year he thought we had the team & would throw picks & prospects away like they were chopped liver.

Our coaching has been brutal the past 5 to 7 yrs needless to say thats really all under Hunt for the most part. There has been alot of question marks when the coach had kept certain 20yr olds over other 20yr olds the last recent 1 for me was when we decided to let Rowat go & go with Ketlo as a 18yr old starter when everyone knew Ketlo was no where ready for that job. We knew from the start of that season that our defense was going to be weak after our top 2 defencemen which would make even more sense to make sure u had a solid goalie but no lets trade our goalie (who had won the Eastern Conference Goalie of the Year) & go with a goalie who we r unsure about.... that doesnt come into scouting that is coaching & the GM's fault.. or another 1 was the year before when we let Kurt Hill go when we knew out team was lacking speed anyways so lets release our fastest guy instead.

This franchise has been run poorly for years now with the biggest problem being Parker, we finally got rid of that bum, next who has to go is Hunt but dont hold ur breath on that 1 for this season he will coach out the rest of his contract & bring in someone fresh in 2012/13 (which does make sense from a business stand point for a team going no where this coming season anyways) I want Hunt gone tomorrow but i just dont see it happening this year at all.

I want this franchise to turn it around just as much as the next guy, its not going to get turned around over night. I just personally think its the wrong time to change Head Scouts, Head Scouts rnt exactly the easiest things to come by with a good track record. Especially since alot of scouts who work down the line down exactly get paid in junior hockey or get such a small amount. A buddy of mind scouted in Sask for PG for 1 season he stopped doing it cuz it wasnt worth the travel & fuel for what u actually got in return. You mainly get a WHL pass and a small portion of ur fuel back, most guys do it just for the love of the game not to make it a job/career.

west coast
06-16-2011, 01:18 AM
i like the draft of 93,94 and 95 crop , but the 91 and 92 group is weak, besides Weal and Mitchell, the 91 and 92 draft crop was far below average.Lang is taking the team in a new direction but lessons have to be learned from previous draft mistakes. Perhaps identifying where the team has gone right with drafts and continually picking players from same developmental programs could be considered an option.The Calgary Bronks sure churned out a few defensive gems in Bell and Dumba , and the NSWC where Weal is from has an impressive list of players in the league

wango tango
06-16-2011, 01:10 PM
hunt and ripplinger fired.

witness
06-16-2011, 01:26 PM
the jury is out on the 93 group. but, I don't think they are incredibly strong. Three years of sub-par drafts is a killer!

It is hard to place the full blame on Riplinger. Knowing the personalities involve, I doubt that Riplinger was allowed to do his job. Nobody knew how to assess young talent quite the way that Brent did (at least in his mind).

west coast
06-16-2011, 02:25 PM
i wish coach Curtis Hunt and head scout Todd Riplinger all the best with their future hockey endevours.It is refreshing that the Pats have decided to go in a new direction with their head coaching position.I would assume that the new head scout would bring in his own new regional scouting staff

patsdude114
06-16-2011, 05:07 PM
well im not upset by any means with both Hunt & Ripplinger being fired... kind of more surprised especially since it took so long to come to this decision.

I actually seen Hunt this morning leaving the parking lot of PetCetra drives a pretty nice looking truck i must say

RWiggum
06-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Patsdude114 are you for real? You howled on here about how it is not Rippers fault and anyone who thought that knew nothing about hockey. Now ur not upset at all? your knees must get replaced evry two years with all the bandwagon jumping you do!

patsdude114
06-16-2011, 07:34 PM
I never said it didnt need to be done just i wasnt putting the blame on Ripplinger.... why would i be upset if he & Hunt got fired i dont know them personally & i wanted Hunt fired before the start of last season.

I didnt think it was a MUST do to fired Ripplinger is all he has done a good job especially the past 3 yrs in the draft... its not the Head Scouts fault when a team underacheives that falls on the Head Coach or GM

dsquared
06-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Chad: Please update the Regina Pats Web Site - You still show Hunt as Head Coach & Ripplinger as Head Scout - looks kinda bush league

Patsdude - How can you not put any blame on Ripplinger? - You seem to think this guy should be remembered for all the great finds he made and we disregard the flops he made - he was at least in part responsible for the draft umpa lumpa strategy (draft small) of the last several years - you can't have a team made up of mostly small players when you play a team like the Blades 8 times. All but 2 of their players are over 6' and the 2 under 6 feet are 5'11" - Sure you can have a few skilled small players but the Pats always were out sized and it wears a team down when they go into the greasy spots. I can't think of too many teams that the Pats outsized over the last 3 years. Further Ripplinger was around for 13 years why can't he be measured for the whole period? - you keep talking about the last 3 years picks and want to ignore the other 10 years.
The people I hold responsible for the results of the last few years are gone now, Hunt, Derkatch, Ripplinger and Parker is supposed to be out of hockey operations. The deck has been cleared - IMO Lang still has 2 years left to prove himself.

Buldog
06-17-2011, 11:49 AM
You paint a house many times, but you still have the same landlord.

patsdude114
06-17-2011, 02:30 PM
You paint a house many times, but you still have the same landlord.

haha isnt that the truth

Buldog
06-17-2011, 02:53 PM
How many people who haven't renewed their season ticket are going to...I'm thinking of it. :confused:

nivek_wahs
06-17-2011, 03:03 PM
How many people who haven't renewed their season ticket are going to...I'm thinking of it. :confused:Do it! It won't be the same without seeing you wandering around the rink, complainging about the "landlord" and handing out your best of CD's! :bounce:

west coast
06-17-2011, 06:27 PM
i agree with Kevin Shaw....the deck has been cleared////lets all renew season tickets and support the Pats.If you guys are going to complain ....well do it in the stands because i want to hear about it ....who will i complain to? we need to support the Pats ...it is always a fun day at the rink and i truly believe they are going in the right direction!!!