PDA

View Full Version : 2011-12 season

chrisshultz
06-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Alright, 2 more months and change before the boys hit the ice for camp. Lets get soms discussion of this upcoming season....Whats everyones expectations of the Raiders this year? Who will be back? Who wont? Who are you excited to see back in a Raiders jersey this year?

chalk_one_up
06-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Who will be back
Mark McNeill
Mike Winther
Todd Fiddler
Justin Maylan*
Shane Danyluk
Austin Conner
Jonathan Parker*
Brandon Herrod*
Harrison Ruopp
Tyler Yaworski
Austin Bourhis
Matthew Berry-Lamontagna
Antoine Corbin
Eric Williams

These are my thoughts, and again, they are my thoughts, so refrain from some over-the-top flaming that you may be inclined to dish out. McNeill will be on another level returning from NHL camp, that I can guarantee. I think another season of Ruopp and Yaworski spells trouble physically for other teams. Corbin will be the Raiders' power play quarterback, and even though the team will miss the presence of Rowley and Deck, it will allow some of the younger guys to step up, like Berry-Lamontagna. I also think that Bourhis could potentially be moved back to the blueline at some point. Herrod will for sure be back as a 20, but either one of Parker and/or Maylan will be dealt at some point. I don't see Bettauer occupying a 20-spot, nor do I see Tucker being one of the teams' 20 year olds. In order to be a 20-year old goaltender, you need to be elite in some capacity, and at this juncture, I think it would be best for the Raiders to go with Williams in goal. Shane Danyluk and Fiddler will both provide that secondary scoring with a full season under their belts.

Who won'tbe back

Brock Balson
Michal Hlinka
Charles Wells
James Bettauer
Jamie Tucker
Andrew Herle

Brock Balson will be in tough to make this team with the way he played last season. With many great players coming into camp, he will need to impress and maintain that level in order to keep his job. I think it was hard for Campese to cut Balson during the season cause that would mean he would have to admit he was wrong. Hlinka, albeit still young, won't finish the season out, if not training camp as a Raider. I just don't think he does enough, and if a non-import can come in here and provide the same, if not more of an impact, I'm sure that option will be more viable. Charles Wells, the man with all the dash, but no flash, won't be one of the teams' 20 year olds. He would have to beat out either Herrod, Parker, Maylan, not to mention the possibility of Bettauer on defence and Tucker in goal, so it's a real long shot. Wells will more than likely play for the Humboldt Broncos and the Royal Bank Cup, same with Herle and maybe Bettauer.

Expected to make the team
Josh Morrissey
TJ Constant
Tyler Paslawski
Branden Fiebelkorn
Cole Holowenko

Josh Morrissey and TJ Constant for sure. Constant was a beast during the playoffs, so it will be exciting for him to bring that grit and offence to the Raiders. Paslawski will have to compete for a job. There are several others that will be vying for jobs, and without a up-to-date list, it's hard to judge right now. I do think that Campese will invite some players to camp, of which I heard Jesse Sinatynski will be among those invited. Both Cole and Branden will battle it out for the back-up position. One if a '93, and the other is a '94, but who will perform better, and who will be in better shape?

chrisshultz
06-07-2011, 03:11 PM
I agree 100% with your picks of who'll be back and who won't be. One possibility could be that a Parker, Herrod or Maylan would be dealt for a possible 17/18 year old forward, which would open up another 20 year old spot. But like I said, I totally agree with your returning roster.

I dont see Bourhis going back to the point. I liked him up front, big time energy supplier, very physical, good skater, and can shoot well. I expect him to take on the enforcer role to be honest. (Connor hasnt been the same since Ferland)

I like Paslawski in the line up, big strong forward. I wasn't totally impressed with Constant to be honest, I heard all the hype, but he just never impressed me. He'll crack the line up this year though.

As mentioned Mcneil will dominate and put up huge numbers. Shane Danyluk will have a break out year and Herrod and Parker will be studs once again.

Ruopp will be the teams best and go to d-man. Expect his stock to rise this year drafted or not. Yaworski will be better just having another year under his belt. Corbin will rack up plenty of power play points and Berry will be more comfortable no longer being a rookie.

I like the Williams/Fiebelkorn combo in net.

I think my players to watch are going to be....
McNeill -expect to be a top forward in the league.
Danyluk- 50 point season.
Ruopp- heavy hitter and will be feared.
Corbin- will quarterback the powerplay and hopefully improve on his +/-
Fiddler- if he improved his foot speed he'll be tough to stop.
Bourhis- 0 g 7 a and 145 pims. Expect all those to improve and his physical play will allow for the top guys to have more space.
Berry- looked timid all year, a bit more confidence and he'll be great on the back end.

I really see this years team as a pretty solid squad, fairly well rounded. The players coming back will have elevated their game and I think this team wont be much fun to play against.

SectionNDeserter
06-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Parker, Herrod or Maylan would be dealt for a possible 17/18 year old forwardWon't be Parker, he has signed with Bakersfield of the ECHL. Condors Sign California Native Parker (http://bakersfieldcondors.com/web/news/pascal-morency-returns-from-houston-condors-sign-california-native-parker/)

Arthur Fonzerelli
06-07-2011, 08:03 PM
the ECHL signing was just for the remainder of the playoffs (which are now over), the article was dated early April. Parker is eligible to come back to PA.

lordstanley
06-08-2011, 10:12 AM
You can't just say Parker will be back it aint a slam dunk i think it's 50/50 fine then i say hamilton will be back for us lol

HockeyGuru
06-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Parker Herrod Maylan will be the 20's.

Paslawski isn't even on Raiders 50 man list anymore.

Hlinka won't be coming back,raiders have 2 first round picks in Euro draft(Button trade) .

Fiebelkorn won't make it this year ,he only play city AAA midget which is equivalent to Saskatchewan AA midget,Holewnko or a list kid Luke Knight will battle for backup job or Bruno gets a journeyman 19 to stem the tide until Williams can handle 50 games or more.Williams really struggled in back to back starts on consecutive days last season.
Bourhais is saying he might go back to Yorkton,if he doesnt get more icetime and he won't as a 7th d-man/12th forward

Herle will be a Humboldt Bronco.

Just some thoughts

lordstanley
06-09-2011, 09:45 AM
We have already had this discussion. Lets just make the wager. If Hamilton is back I will sport the Blades logo for a month. If Parker is back you have the Raider Logo.

Maybe you didn't hear me last time but i said if i was a better man i would say Parker would be back put to say it's a slam dunk is just rediculous cmon now