PDA

View Full Version : Red Deer prospects

Red celtic
06-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Allan Caldwell posted a list of Rebel prospects on his Blog. Interesting read got to see most of these players last weekend at Penhold here is the link.
http://smallatlarge.blogspot.com/

Rebelsfan13
07-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Intersting blog on 20 year olds, although I think he misses the mark slightly on Red Deer. With the import signing of a goalie, it should be a fight between him and Guhle.

AlanC
07-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Intersting blog on 20 year olds, although I think he misses the mark slightly on Red Deer. With the import signing of a goalie, it should be a fight between him and Guhle.

I admit that when I wrote that piece, I had forgotten about the Rebels picking Bartosak in the import draft.

However, unless Bartosak comes in and wows everyone, establishing himself as a top-notch #1 goalie, I'm not sure this changes anything. If the Rebels get Nugent-Hopkins back from the Oilers, then next year has to be the go-for-it year because they surely won't get him back again in 12-13 as a 19 year old. And the Rebels need to have a solid #1 goalie if they are going to contend, so if Bartosak doesn't prove himself as that guy fairly quickly, then they need to trade for one unless Guhle or Pouliot is doing the job instead.

lostsheep
07-18-2011, 09:41 PM
i dont mean to sound stupid but do you honestly believe RNH is NHL ready? he has the skill set for sure i dont question that, but is the strength development where it needs to be? he is a great player and has a very bright future, but i wouldnt want to see him rushed into a young team who needs more mature character players. if he makes it in great for him im just not sure. i guess i dont see him play every night either.

lordstanley
08-21-2011, 01:50 PM
I see Andrej Kudrna signed a 1 year contract with a team out of Slovakia i'm sure this hurts his chances returning for a overage season with Red Deer

Now if Nugent Hopkins cracks the Oilers you guys may be in serious trouble i can't see him making it yet though

SectionNDeserter
08-21-2011, 03:04 PM
I see Andrej Kudrna signed a 1 year contract with a team out of Slovakia i'm sure this hurts his chances returning for a overage season with Red DeerThis isn't really news in Red Deer. Most people here didn't think he would be back and he became the odd-man-out months ago when the Rebels drafted goaltender Patrik Bartosak in the import draft.

When he arrived in Red Deer in 2009 he played a strong two-way game, and he put up some much-needed offensive numbers during his two seasons here. However, as some others stepped up their offensive game, he completely stopped backchecking last season, especially in the last half. I guess what I am saying, is that there are enough guys like Kambeitz, Elson, Siwak, Ness, Mayor that have shown that they can score when given the ice-time/put in that role that they can afford to let Kudrna walk--and they need a goaltender waaaaay more than a guy that won't come back past the top of the circle in his own zone.

Now if Nugent Hopkins cracks the Oilers you guys may be in serious trouble i can't see him making it yet thoughHe will probably start the season up there, and play just enough games to not eat up a year of his ELC. I don't see him sticking up there full-time this season as an 18 year old, unless he can convert to a defenseman or goaltender and have some immediate success. ;)

3rebels
08-28-2011, 08:05 PM
So any thoughts on the scrimmage today? I noticed Petro seems to keep giving the puck away when fore-checked hard!

SectionNDeserter
08-28-2011, 09:27 PM
So any thoughts on the scrimmage today? I noticed Petro seems to keep giving the puck away when fore-checked hard!Never really noticed that, at least not to any degree more than any of the other defensemen. Most defensemen do turn the puck over when forechecked hard (which is why teams that do it have a lot of success). He did seem to be skating up the ice with the puck a lot rather than passing it, and spent a considerable amount of time in possession of the puck compared to the other defensemen.

John Persson looked to be in great shape, as did a few of the other veterans. Nice to see Froese out there, still some talk of there being a possibility of him returning this season.

Best non-returning player on the ice was McCoy. His skating was far better than last year and he looked as big or bigger than Weller. He is a shoe-in as far as I am concerned to fill some of the vacancies up front. If he does, Red Deer is going to have some huge wingers between him, Persson and Muller.

I think the goaltending battle is down to Guhle, Bartosak, and Heseltine. Pouliot looked like a slower, larger version of Morgan Clark, struggling to grasp some basic fundamentals of goaltending, and as a result it was open season on the five hole as he always had his stick about a foot off the ice while shooters were bearing down on him. Orth was a little better than Pouliot, but he was having a lot of problems with rebound control. I think we are in for a rough few months of goaltending to start the season, and we may just have to be patient until one of the three aforementioned guys settles into the starting role, or a deal can be made for another goaltender.

As for the Rookies, Doetzel looked good, as did Ferguson and the duo of Millette and Feser. Dallas Bergstrom had a cannon of a shot from the point, and was unleashing it whenever he got a chance. I was impressed with the positioning and poise of Jake MacLachlan and Tyson Maton.

Rebel~66
08-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Section N:

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate your opinions. I won't have any chance to watch any of the camp so really appreciate any insights you have.

Keep it up.

Cheers

tiny
08-29-2011, 07:58 AM
I thought Bricker, Feser, Millette (all 95's) could be quite a line in the future. Bleakley and Doetzel both had slow starts but came on a little in the PM. Heseltine looked the most prepared of the rookie stoppers. MacLachlan (96) caught my eye on D. If Patrick can improve his skating, he could be interesting as a power winger. Great to see a little emotion and grit in the scrimmage.

With the addition of Dumba to main camp, the defense looks solid. Bartozak was quite solid in the scrimmage. Guhle made some impressive saves. Elson, Siwak, Kambietz, Ness, and Cowan, to name a few, all looked stronger and faster. Persson will be a bull out front on the PP. McCoy looked ready to take a spot. McMurphy and Burr got off to slower starts.

Great to bounce impressions of the "regulars". Tks guys.

SectionNDeserter
08-30-2011, 06:39 AM
Some great chemistry between some of these players already too after just a few scrimmages. I thought that the tandem of Feser and Millette looked very good with whoever they were out there with, and their skills complimented each other very well. Also Kozun and McCoy seemed to work really well together. McCoy uses his size well to power his way to the net, and Kozun has made some really nice passes to him after a really slow start on day one. I think all 4 have a great shot at making the team this year.

Warrior
08-30-2011, 12:50 PM
That was Feser-Ferguson unless Feser-Millette were together day 1. Feser-Ferguson-Cardinal were by far the best line in yesterdays scrim.

W

Rebelsfan13
08-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Hi guys, I am living in Calgary now and for the first year in many unable to attend camp. Last year I thought Mcmurphy was a guy that was a shoe in to make the club but the team thought he wasn't tough enough and he was sent down. I am curious how he is doing this year. I see Tiny said slow start, any other thoughts out there?

SectionNDeserter
08-30-2011, 07:15 PM
That was Feser-Ferguson unless Feser-Millette were together day 1.Roster sheet I have in front of me has Feser and Ferguson on different teams, so it may have been on day 1 that I noticed the chemistry.

SectionNDeserter
08-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi guys, I am living in Calgary now and for the first year in many unable to attend camp.Against your will I hope. ;)

Last year I thought Mcmurphy was a guy that was a shoe in to make the club but the team thought he wasn't tough enough and he was sent down.I don't think he has improved as much as some of the other returnees, especially McCoy. Guys like Millette, McCoy, Feser and Ferguson are having better camps than him. If he makes the cut for the Black and White game, it is going to be make or break for him.

tiny
08-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Gone from main camp crew include Heath, Chartrand, Klien, and Oleniuk.
Heard Swystun out from rookie camp nursing an injury

Moved up for "intrasquade game" include:
G- Heseltine 95 & Naherniak 96
D-Mpufo 96, Doetzel 95, Bergstrom 95, Fleury 96, Pochuk 95, Nicholson 95, MacLachlan 96,
F- Millette 95, Bricker 95, Bleackley 96, Southam 96, Ferguson 95.

RNH still getting his picture taken by card companies down east - Cowan and Dumba sat out.

Quite impressed with Bartosak, Pouliot and Naherniak in game situation today. Love to see Heseltine and Naherniak after another year. I'm sure they will be kept on list.

We are deep in solid D men. Our vets still show well and haven't seen Dumba one the ice yet. Thiel, Hak, and Pochuk showed some effective defensive ability. Thiel and Hak made a couple of rushes as well. Mpufo will be fun to watch.

Up front Elson, Persson, and Siwak were very effective and will be very tough to play against. Marc McCoy should stick as a big force out front. Trace Elson is one of those players you keep thinking should be cut but keeps hanging on because he just never quits. Tyson Ness is showing his ability as a great team player. Mayor and Muller hit everything that moved. I am quite sure Millette is here for the year. He finishes well and is big enough to get to the tough spots. Very impressed with the game in the Bricker kid.

Rebelsfan13
08-31-2011, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE=SectionNDeserter;167840]Against your will I hope. ;)

It actually wasn't against my will, hard to pass up the opportunity and being a Flames fan doesn't hurt. My allegiance in Juinow however will remain with the Rebels and I plan on following them online, whenever they are in Calgary and the occasional trip to Red Deer. Missing camp though is tough since I would routinely be one of the guys with the roster sheet at camp every year.

Warrior
08-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Does anyone know why Spencer Kryczka is not at camp?

W

rdreb
08-31-2011, 03:32 PM
Was told he did not want to come
Is going to play jr a

Shinyshoes
09-01-2011, 10:48 AM
12 Cuts last night after the B&W game leaves us with the following 37 still in camp. That leaves 35 players fighting for 24 spots. 2 goalies (one 15 year old), 4 defence (one 15 year old) and 7 forwards (one 15 year old) to be reassigned.....

Also, there is 4 20 year-olds in camp, however chances are slim that we will get Byron Froese back so he may solve that problem by playing minor-pro. I also added the NHL camps that I know of because those players will be departing for their respective camps right away.

Goal:
Patrik Bartosak (18)
Dawson Guhle (19)
Grant Naherniak (15)*
Bolton Pouliot (17)

Defence:
Aaron Borejko (20)
Brad Deagle (19)
Kayle Doetzel (16)
Mathew Dumba (17)
Haydn Fleury (15)*
Lucas Grayson (17)
Stephen Hak (17)
Alex Petrovic (19) (Florida NHL Camp)
Kevin Pochuk (16)
Matt Pufahl (18)
Cody Thiel (18)
Justin Weller (20) (Phoenix NHL Camp)

Forward:
Conner Bleackley (15)*
Dexter Bricker (16)
Mason Burr (17)
Josh Cowen (20)
Trace Elson (17)
Turner Elson (19)
Scott Feser (16)
Byron Froese (20) (Chicago NHL Camp)
Joel Hamilton (17)
Adam Kambeitz (19)
Brooks Maxwell (17)
Colten Mayor (18)
Marc McCoy (17)
Chase McMurphy (17)
Cory Millette (16)
Locke Muller (18)
Tyson Ness (18)
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (18) (Edmonton NHL Camp)
John Persson (19)
Chad Robinson (18)
Daulton Siwak (18)

tiny
09-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Scuttlebutt has it that Kambietz is off to Phoenix with Weller and Elson is off to camp as well (Edmonton perhaps). Can someone confirm??

Warrior
09-01-2011, 03:11 PM
I was really surprised that Ferguson was released...I thought he was outstanding.

Doetzel has a lot of work to do. I know he hasn't played much in the last two years but he is behind in his physical play as well as defensive positioning.

Naherniak was outstanding...bright future.

I didn't think McMurphy was as good as last year but who knows...maybe he's hurtin' a little or the Reb's have asked he to concentrate on his defense.

Hayden Fluery is having a good camp.

Rumour is that Feser signed a standard whl contract. Good for him.

What you say?

W

chalk_one_up
09-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Was Tad Kozun cut?

Warrior
09-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Yes Kozun was cut. Looked good offensively. Not the best technical skater and probably two years too late.

SectionNDeserter
09-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Doetzel has a lot of work to do. I know he hasn't played much in the last two years but he is behind in his physical play as well as defensive positioning.I wouldn't be at all shocked to see him reassigned, and one of the older defensemen still on the roster (Thiel, Hak) crack the lineup this season. He was physical at times, but he definitely looks like he could use another season at a lower level.

Naherniak was outstanding...bright future.I didn't think he was outstanding, but he was the only goaltender in camp that I saw that didn't have even one particularly bad scrimmage, and he was solid in the Black and White game. I think he could be the starting goaltender of the future.

Guhle has been strong on scrambles in front of the net, but allowed some pretty soft longer shots, Bartosak has been the exact opposite, and Pouliot had a horrendous Black and White game after having a few decent scrimmages after a poor opening day at camp.

I didn't think McMurphy was as good as last year but who knows...I think he was exactly as good as last year. Problem is, all the other forwards in his age group got better. His wrist shot looked like it had a little more mustard on it, but aside from that his skating and defensive play hasn't looked any better.

Hayden Fluery is having a good camp.From what I have seen from him, he has a mean streak a mile wide. Should be a nice addition to the roster next season. ;)

Rumour is that Feser signed a standard whl contract. Good for him.He just seemed to click with everyone they put him with, and seemed to make everyone on the ice better. Can't have too many of those guys!

Was Tad Kozun cut?Yes. He had some decent offensive upside, but was very weak in his own end, and turned the puck over a lot. He just didn't have enough offensive potential to offset all the goals that would be scored against his line. And at 18, he has to be a ton better than the rookies in camp.

tiny
09-01-2011, 05:33 PM
I agree with your post on all accounts except Pouliot. I think "horrendous" is a little critical, but I know you were not a great supporter of his from day one. LOL

If Feser, Millette, Bergstrom, Doetzel, Ferguson, Bricker, Pochuk, and Nicholson (all 95's) continue to develop, they will be the basis of a very exciting team of the future as well.

I read that Jessie was more impressed with Hamilton and Maxwell than I was. If they are kept, I hope they prove me wrong.

I thought 37 was quite a large contingent for preseason but I recognize the tightness of some of the races.

Hope to see many of you "regulars" to share opinions with in Lacombe, Innisfail, and Stettler.

Warrior
09-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Didn't Pouliot only let the one or two in? The one with 6 seconds left was bad but other than that, he was solid. He overplayed a few but kept them out. I've seen this kid play lots in Midget and he can be unbeatable. It was Heseltine that was real bad.

Naherniak was outstanding for a '96. He's better than our goalies of the "now".

I'm worried about the goaltending for this year. Extremely inconsistent. They have lots of talented forwards to trade but no use going too crazy until the memorial cup announcement.

I probably can't make an exhibition so would sure like to hear what you guys have to say.

Cheers

W

SectionNDeserter
09-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Didn't Pouliot only let the one or two in? The one with 6 seconds left was bad but other than that, he was solid. He overplayed a few but kept them out.Three. Kozun scored one on him near the end of the 2nd. The one with 6 seconds remaining was scored because (surprise surprise) he didn't have his stick down... He hasn't shown any battle at all, not like Guhle or Bartosak or even Naherniak. For the record, I really liked him when he came in as a 15 year old in both rookie and main camp, he just hasn't developed into the goalie I thought he would, yet.

Heseltine had a very rough Black and White game too. His speed dictates that he plays deeper in his crease, and the shooters just feasted on that fact. He plays the angles as well has he can that deep in his crease, and had some fantastic scrimmages. Good technical goalie, but he needs to work on improving his overall mobility this season.

Rebrevs
09-01-2011, 09:17 PM
I didn't think Pouliot came into the game until the third period. Did I miss something??

3rebels
09-01-2011, 09:42 PM
I don't remember seeing Pouliot until the third. Bartosak was in first & second.
Unless they switched uniforms!!

Rebelsfan13
09-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Are you guys trying to say that SND is wrong?

SectionNDeserter
09-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Are you guys trying to say that SND is wrong?When you are right 99% of the time, you are wrong 1% of the time. :D

I didn't hear them announce the switch, and I thought they switched him at roughly the halfway point of the game (to make things equitable, as they have every other year). Of the three goals I thought they scored on Pouliot, that was the only one that I thought he that he had very little chance of stopping (wicked backhand by Kozun while cutting across the slot unimpeded). Thanks for making me more worried about Pouliot guys! :(

Rebelsfan13
09-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Looks like McMurphy wanted to keep his college eligibility or have some assurance that he would be playing so he was sent home. Rebels still keeping him on 50 man protected list though. Sounds like Kozun is in same situation.

Red celtic
09-02-2011, 02:14 PM
When you are right 99% of the time, you are wrong 1% of the time. :D

I didn't hear them announce the switch, and I thought they switched him at roughly the halfway point of the game (to make things equitable, as they have every other year). Of the three goals I thought they scored on Pouliot, that was the only one that I thought he that he had very little chance of stopping (wicked backhand by Kozun while cutting across the slot unimpeded). Thanks for making me more worried about Pouliot guys! :(

You keep worrying like that you might lose your hair!!! By the way have you completed your opening day 25 player roster yet?

SectionNDeserter
09-02-2011, 04:22 PM
By the way have you completed your opening day 25 player roster yet?I think I have it down to 30 or so ;)

SectionNDeserter
09-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Here is 25 RC, that is as low as I am going. ;) Opening Night roster will probably look something like this.

Forwards

Persson - Kambeitz - Ness
Elson - Siwak - Cowen
Mayor - Millette - Robinson
Hamilton - McCoy - Muller

Ferguson, Maxwell

Defense

Dumba - Petrovic
Borejko - Weller
Deagle - Grayson

Thiel, Pufahl

Goaltenders

Guhle
Bartosak
Pouliot

I hadn't actually sat down and even started a roster for this season yet, and I didn't realize how thin we are down the middle without RNH. Pretty solid roster, but lacks depth at center. I think that the #1 and 2 centers could easily switch places by the time camp starts, as could the #3 and 4 centers.

We really need one of our bottom 4 defensemen to step up this season and generate some offense from the point. Pufahl and Grayson need to put up more than 4 and 2 points respectively. Petrovic will likely be gone next season, along with Weller and Borejko. That leaves Dumba, and a handful of stay-at-home defensemen. Could Thiel be the wildcard that injects some offense into the blueline? :confused: Do they move one of Weller or Borejko for some future, and give one of the kids more ice time? :confused:

None of the goaltenders that are eligible to play this season didn't have at least one day in camp where they really didn't look very good. I think that if a trade isn't made before the end of the exhibition season for a veteran, they will start the season with 3, and let one of them play their way out of town. Guhle is the only true 'returning' goaltender, and he was the backup last season. He is also a fantastic and extremely positive influence in the dressing room. Bartosak looks like he has a lot of potential, and just needs to adjust to the speed, the smaller ice surface, and his full set of unbroken-in goalie equipment. Like Bartosak, the Rebels have a lot of time and money invested in Pouliot, which is why I think he will stick around, for the time being.

tiny
09-02-2011, 09:51 PM
I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of the centers, SND. I expect Kambietz and Siwak will have very good seasons. Wasn't Ness at center for some of the camp? AND I am still counting on RNH coming back. RNH, Kambietz, Siwak, down the middle sounds pretty good.

I hope Cowan, Muller, and Mayor can avoid the penalty box.

Will Millette be ready to come back?

Love that Bricker kid too. Can I have 26??? :confused:

Thiel may move up.

Forwards

Persson - Kambeitz - Ness
Elson - Siwak - Cowen
Mayor - McCoy - Muller
Hamilton - Millette - Maxwell

Robinson - Feser

Defense

Dumba - Petrovic
Borejko - Weller
Deagle - Grayson

Thiel, Pufahl, Doetzel

Goaltenders

Bartosak
Pouliot

SectionNDeserter
09-02-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of the centers, SND. I expect Kambietz and Siwak will have very good seasons. Wasn't Ness at center for some of the camp? AND I am still counting on RNH coming back. RNH, Kambietz, Siwak, down the middle sounds pretty good.There isn't a lot of trouble with the top two, I think they are going to both have breakout seasons. It is the two rookie centers that is concerning, especially if the Oilers keep RNH, or dick around with him for half the season like the Kings did with Schenn last year. Ness played center in training camp in the absence of experienced centermen, but it is not his natural position, and I would like to see what he can do on the top two lines this season.

Red celtic
09-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Wow SND you must be hurting to keep it to 25. Since Ferguson has already been sent home you can add someone if you like. my picks

Forwards
Persson Siwak Elson
Ness Kambeitz Cowan
Robinson Mayor Millette
Maxwell McCoy Muller
Feser Hamilton

Defence
Petrovic Weller
Dumba Borejko
Pufhal Deagle
Greyson Doetzel
Thiel

Goalies
Bartosak Guhle

SectionNDeserter
09-03-2011, 06:25 AM
I was waffling between Feser and Ferguson when I made them, so substitute Ferguson with Feser.

Reb Fan#10
09-03-2011, 08:19 AM
Scuttlebutt has it that Kambietz is off to Phoenix with Weller and Elson is off to camp as well (Edmonton perhaps). Can someone confirm??

Turner Elson is going to the Flames camp Sept. 8th and then off to Penticton for the rookies tounament.

Reb Fan#10
09-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Wow SND you must be hurting to keep it to 25. Since Ferguson has already been sent home you can add someone if you like. my picks

Forwards
Persson Siwak Elson
Ness Kambeitz Cowan
Robinson Mayor Millette
Maxwell McCoy Muller
Feser Hamilton

Defence
Petrovic Weller
Dumba Borejko
Pufhal Deagle
Greyson Doetzel
Thiel

Goalies
Bartosak Guhle

Hey guys! You might be surprised with what Trace Elson can bring to the table. He pulled his ham-string during fitness testing of all the times to get an injury (right at the start of camp). So he was not 100% on the ice during camp.

Rebrevs
09-03-2011, 09:51 AM
...I definitely want to see Feser in the mix. I really respect nose to the grindstone kids. He works hard and is quick. He will be really hard to shake off when he is checking. I wish we had more players like him.....relentless checkers!!!! It is the same playing philosophy that Medicine Hat seems to look for in their players and it sure seems to work. We really haven't had anyone like that since Brett Sutter. The closest is Elson. Now if we could just get Elson to put the puck in when he gets all his opportunities!! My choice for a d-man is Thiel. I don't think Doetzel is the answer. His injuries have cost him valuable learning time. Maybe in the future..... My goalie choices are Bartosak and Pouliot. Nope, we haven't seen them enough but unless Guhle develops some consistency, I'd rather develop the other two. I thought Pouliot did well when he was here last year. I'm making my judgement based on that experience. Can't wait for the exhibition games. This is where the goalie situation will play itself out!

SectionNDeserter
09-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Hey guys! You might be surprised with what Trace Elson can bring to the table. He pulled his ham-string during fitness testing of all the times to get an injury (right at the start of camp). So he was not 100% on the ice during camp.I think what he has working against him is that most people in camp are watching him, and expecting to see a younger version of Turner. It is unfortunate that he got injured, because he isn't going to make the team based on what he might be able to do. Still, if he made the team, it certainly wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Shinyshoes
09-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Updated with Saturday's and Monday's Cuts. Also Removed Froese as everything I am hearing is he is destined for the AHL. Down to 32.

Goal:
Patrik Bartosak (18)
Dawson Guhle (19)
Bolton Pouliot (17)

Defence:
Aaron Borejko (20)
Brad Deagle (19)
Kayle Doetzel (16)
Mathew Dumba (17)
Lucas Grayson (17)
Stephen Hak (17)
Alex Petrovic (19) (Florida NHL Camp)
Kevin Pochuk (16)
Matt Pufahl (18)
Cody Thiel (18)
Justin Weller (20) (Phoenix NHL Camp)

Forward:
Dexter Bricker (16)
Mason Burr (17)
Josh Cowen (20)
Trace Elson (17)
Turner Elson (19) (Calgary NHL Camp)
Scott Feser (16)
Joel Hamilton (17)
Adam Kambeitz (19) (Phoenix NHL Camp)
Brooks Maxwell (17)
Colten Mayor (18)
Marc McCoy (17)
Cory Millette (16)
Locke Muller (18)
Tyson Ness (18)
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (18) (Edmonton NHL Camp)
John Persson (19) (New York Islanders NHL Camp)
Chad Robinson (18)
Daulton Siwak (18)

Red celtic
09-09-2011, 11:35 PM
I was in Saint Albert on Sunday for the game against SC and again tonight in Innisfail. We have some 17 yr old players that are really going to make it hard on the coaching staff to cut. McCoy was outstanding in Saint Albert and every game I have watched I am becoming more impressed with Trace Ellison. This kid is a bulldog he skates a ton and does not give up on the puck. Its nice to have hard choices I am going to enjoy watching this team. Also like Maxwell and Hamilton they have had a good pre season so far.

Rebel~66
09-10-2011, 12:00 AM
I was in Saint Albert on Sunday for the game against SC and again tonight in Innisfail. .

What was the score tonight?

Red celtic
09-10-2011, 01:20 AM
The score tonight was 5-0 for the rebels the canes were over matched for the most part must be missing a good part of there lineup.

grainbear
09-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Just wondering how he looked last night ,he has been previously at the Canes camp when he was younger ?

SectionNDeserter
09-10-2011, 03:11 PM
What's going on with the d-men? They seem to be keeping four around for only one spot remaining...unless they are thinking about getting rid of some vets? It is insurance. In the worst case scenario, they could lose 3 veteran defensemen. Petrovic and Weller could both end up in the NHL, as they are both attending training camps of dreadful NHL teams, and if Froese were to somehow find his way back to Red Deer, there is a chance that Borejko could be gone too.

RDRebelsfan
09-11-2011, 12:06 PM
It is insurance. In the worst case scenario, they could lose 3 veteran defensemen. Petrovic and Weller could both end up in the NHL, as they are both attending training camps of dreadful NHL teams, and if Froese were to somehow find his way back to Red Deer, there is a chance that Borejko could be gone too.

I was in Innisfail on Friday, and actually spoke with Dumba. I asked about Froese, he said he'll be in the AHL. And on the matter of RNH, he simply said he doesn't know if Nuge will be back.

SectionNDeserter
09-11-2011, 02:53 PM
I was in Innisfail on Friday, and actually spoke with Dumba. I asked about Froese, he said he'll be in the AHL.It is good to hear that they aren't counting on some of these guys to be back, but while there is a good chance he will be in the AHL, neither Dumba or even Froese know where he will be yet. I would be shocked if the Blackhawks even know where he will be with the end of training camp/exhibition a ways off yet.

SectionNDeserter
09-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Sorry...not sure how you think they could lose 3 veteran defensemen? If Petrovic and Weller don't come back, I highly doubt they will be getting rid of Borejko. So, that would leave them 5 vets and 4 rookies competing for possibly 3 spots if they kept 8 defensemen again. I guess my question is...do you think it's possible that any of the rookies could take a spot of a vet?There is a lot of factors that go into the Rebels' roster this season. If it becomes clear that RNH isn't coming back, I wouldn't be shocked to see Borejko or Cowen moved in favor of an overage center. They already have a few steady 17-19 year old defensemen that don't put up a lot of points that could step in and take his place. They also need a pretty solid supporting cast (of experienced defensemen that can play in the WHL next season) in the event that they are awarded the Memorial Cup host. Also they have shown in the past that they are not at all opposed to taking a depth defenseman and playing him at forward. Also a guy like Pufahl could be moved if the Goaltending situation doesn't solidify in the first month of the season. If it plays out the way it is anticipated by most, the Rebels' blueline will be much stronger/deeper than their forwards or goaltenders, and if they make a deal it may be from the backend. So to answer your question, yes I think it is possible that one of the rookie blueliners could take the spot of a vet.

Shinyshoes
09-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Kambeitz is back from Phoenix's camp and Persson will be back from the Islander's camp this weekend.

Shinyshoes
09-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Bricker & Feser reassigned today. Roser down to 30.

RDRebelsfan
09-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Trace Elson assigned to Sherwood Park, Dawson Guhle to Camrose AJHL.

Looks like they're going with Bartosak and Pouliot. Not a real big surprise if you compare preseason stats.

Shinyshoes
09-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Guhle was not reassigned, he was released outright and now is a free agent.

The Rebels also reassigned 16 year old defenceman Kevin Pochuck to the Winnipeg Saints of the MJHL.

The rebels roster now stands at 28 (including 5 at NHL camps)

RDRebelsfan
09-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Guhle was not reassigned, he was released outright and now is a free agent.

The Rebels also reassigned 16 year old defenceman Kevin Pochuck to the Winnipeg Saints of the MJHL.

The rebels roster now stands at 28 (including 5 at NHL camps)

I meant released in my post, my bad.

Shinyshoes
09-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Weller is back from NHL Camp with Phoenix. Elson, Petrovic, RNH and Froese still at camp. Elson expected back by friday. Petrovic we will see.

SectionNDeserter
09-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Weller is back from NHL Camp with Phoenix.And the curse is broken! Last overage NHL drafted and signed player returned to the Rebels was Starkov, but he refused to come back to the WHL. I thought that it was Terry Ryan before that, but someone pointed out to me that he was returned to Tri-Cities, then traded to the Rebels. Anyone know who the last one was before that?

Red celtic
09-20-2011, 11:21 PM
And the curse is broken! Last overage NHL drafted and signed player returned to the Rebels was Starkov, but he refused to come back to the WHL. I thought that it was Terry Ryan before that, but someone pointed out to me that he was returned to Tri-Cities, then traded to the Rebels. Anyone know who the last one was before that?
It's not a curse it is fate we have experienced a period of time without drafted 20 ye old's. Now we can expect a number of year's with drafted 20 yr old's. Duh

Rebelsfan13
09-21-2011, 07:00 AM
And the curse is broken! Last overage NHL drafted and signed player returned to the Rebels was Starkov, but he refused to come back to the WHL. I thought that it was Terry Ryan before that, but someone pointed out to me that he was returned to Tri-Cities, then traded to the Rebels. Anyone know who the last one was before that?

Did Shay Stephenson play here as a 20 year old?

SectionNDeserter
09-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Did Shay Stephenson play here as a 20 year old?Nope. I looked back through all the teams over the various years, and if you don't count players that were returned to another team then traded to Red Deer. Possibly Shawn McNeil in 98-99 (though I don't know if he was signed by Washington in his overage season here), and before that maybe Darren Van Impe in 93-94.

Shinyshoes
09-21-2011, 03:19 PM
According to the Flames website http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=589275&navid=DL|CGY|home Turner Elson has been assigned to Abbotsford of the AHL. This means, because he is a 19 year old, he will eventually be returned to the Rebels. The key word here is EVENTUALLY. It is looking less likely that he will be back in town for the opener on Friday.

However, this is great for Turner as it likely means the Flames are taking a longer look at him and potentially offering him a contract.

Shinyshoes
09-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Both Petrovic and Elson have sent tweets saying they will be home in time for the game tomorrow. Just Froese and RNH left at NHL camps that will POSSIBLY be joining the Rebels.

Rebelsfan13
09-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Turner Elson signs a three year entry deal with the Flames. He impressed them in Penticton and during his exhibition game in Vancouver enough to earn him a free agent contract. Now he can go back to Red Deer, turn some heads this year and develop into a future Calgary Flame!

SectionNDeserter
09-24-2011, 07:33 AM
A little baffled why he didn't get to play when the bench was shortened at the end.I think it had a lot to do with the 3 or 4 bad turnovers that he had in about a 10 minute span last night. I think he had more good moments than bad, unfortunately the bad ones all came after the good ones.

we need some players who can put the puck in the net...A little premature to be worrying about that. They got a ton of chances last night against what is a great goaltender in this league. With or without RNH, they will do ok offensively, leaning on guys like Persson, Dumba and Petrovic, and should get some with the emergence of guys like Elson, Kambeitz, and Mayor etc--It just isn't all going to happen in the first game of the season.

Speaking of Elson, anyone hear any status of his condition after he left in the first and didn't return?

tiny
09-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Elson said, "5 days," after the game last night. As far as forwards able to score, Elson, Persson, Kambietz, and Siwak will all have good numbers this year. I am expecting Mayor, McCoy, Maxwell, and Ness to have decent numbers. If RNH comes back (and I still have hopes), we should be up there with the big boys.

I, too, was impressed with Kambietz, Bartosak, and the D last night. Losing Elson so early messed up the lines.

I was quite pleased with Petrovic and Pufahl early in the game. I think Petrovic tired late in the game.

SectionNDeserter
09-24-2011, 08:43 AM
I think you might have him confused with another player/or perhaps just a tad bit of exaggeration on your part ;) Honestly, that would be a turnover every shift.There was two on one shift, and then he got beat a few time on the half-wall a little later. Still, he was fantastic in the first half of the game. And you are right about him not being alone, and when the team's collective turnovers started in the second period, the whole bench seemed to get a lot shorter, especially on defense.

Another thing I noticed was that the league officials' obvious bias against Cowen continues this season. Takes a big slash/spear from Ismond right in the middle of the ice like 20 seconds after the whistle, right in front of the ref... No call...

Rebel~66
09-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Another thing I noticed was that the league officials' obvious bias against Cowen continues this season. Takes a big slash/spear from Ismond right in the middle of the ice like 20 seconds after the whistle, right in front of the ref... No call...

It's shockingly obvious.quite frankly. That, for me, might be the biggest argument against keeping Cowan around. He is going to cost you some penalties at inopportune times on reputation alone.

That missed slash was brutal by the officials but, then again, the officials didn't call anything against the Ice after 1:33 of the first period despite several obvious infractions.

tiny
09-24-2011, 04:30 PM
It's shockingly obvious.quite frankly. That, for me, might be the biggest argument against keeping Cowan around. He is going to cost you some penalties at inopportune times on reputation alone.

That missed slash was brutal by the officials but, then again, the officials didn't call anything against the Ice after 1:33 of the first period despite several obvious infractions.

Does this bias have anything to do with conflict between Mr. Wallin and Ref. #8 (not to mention any names especially those that start with Z) LOL

Red celtic
10-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Chase McMurphy has made a verbal commitment to Fairbanks Alaska, so I guess that chapter has closed for the time being.

Rebelsfan13
10-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Deagle being traded isn't a surprise. It would have been nice to get more for him than a draft pick but I guess that was his market value.

SectionNDeserter
10-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Deagle being traded isn't a surprise. It would have been nice to get more for him than a draft pick but I guess that was his market value.He didn't crack the Rebel roster full time till he was 18, he isn't exactly a punishing player, and while putting up 12 assists in about a full season of games, he hasn't scored a goal. He was however a solid player that didn't hurt your chances when he was out there, he was just caught up in the numbers game.