PDA

View Full Version : Roster Projection

Boltz9
07-05-2011, 11:28 AM
This is a roster projection from Luber at http://luberslounge.blogspot.com/ ...

If there's a down month in the Western Hockey League, July would be it. The Wheat Kings' office is closed this week, and will re-open on Monday.

I'm working on a couple of news items for later this week (I hope) but, in the meantime, thought I'd try and provide some insight into what the Wheat Kings' roster might look like in 2011-2012.

Of course, I've placed 30 players on the roster and we know there won't be that many when everything eventually shakes out. Prospects like Colton Waltz and Tim McGauley could be sent back to AAA Midget for more seasoning and, of course, they won't carry three goaltenders.

Here's my take -- hope you enjoy!

Forwards (17)
Michael Ferland (19) - Brenden Walker (19) - Mark Stone (19)
Brenden Harms (17*) - Tyrel Seaman (17) - Alessio Bertaggia (18*)
Jens Meilleur (18) - Jason Swyripa (18) - Bruno Mraz (18*)
Carter Proft (17*) - Paul Ciarelli (20) - Dominick Favreau (19)
Daniel Asham (17*) - Tim McGauley (16*) - Dakota Conroy (17*)
Jack Palmer (16*) - Cody Nelson (17*)

Synopsis
The Wheat Kings lack a true first-line centre, but I've placed Brenden Walker on the middle on the top line if the club chooses to move him back to the position he played prior to joining Brandon.

The addition of Bertaggia and Mraz through the Import Draft does cloud the forward spots, and creates a scenerio where some returnees will need strong training camps and/or pre-seasons to keep their roster spots.

The Wheat Kings also have an open 20-year old spot, which could be used on a forward if the team chooses to fill it.

Watch For
Eighth round pick Jack Palmer, 16, looked solid at the Wheat Kings' Prospect Camp in May. The son of former NHLer Brad Palmer should push for a roster spot this fall.

Cody Nelson, 17, was a big scorer in AAA Midget last season but that may not translate to the WHL. He could provide a physical presence but needs to show improved skating ability to make the jump.

Defencemen (10)
Brodie Melnychuk (20) - Ryan Pulock (17)
Jordan Fransoo (18) - Rene Hunter (18)
Ryley Miller (19) - Eric Roy (17)
Ayrton Nikkel (16*) - Spencer Galbraith (17)
Dylan Kuczek (17*) - Colton Waltz (16*)

Synopsis
The Wheat Kings return all seven defencemen that finished the 2010-2011 campaign. Rookies Ayrton Nikkel, Dylan Kuczek and Colton Waltz will all push for a roster spot, making the battle on the blueline very intriguing.

Jordan Fransoo got a big boost of confidence by being chosen by Ottawa in the 2011 NHL Draft. I liked him when paired with Rene Hunter during the second half of last season, and the duo could emerge as the Wheat Kings' shut-down pairing.

Ryley Miller, 19, is entering his fourth season with the Wheat Kings, and is known for being a physical presence. I expect him to take another step forward this year, but his penchant for taking undisciplined penalties will have to stop.

Watch For
Ayrton Nikkel, 16, looks like he could be an impact rookie, and might force his way into the lineup on an every night basis though the club may choose to ease him in on the third pairing much like Red Deer did with WHL Rookie of the Year Mathew Dumba last season.

Second-year man Spencer Galbraith,18, provided spark on the back end, showing a willingness to mix it up and improving throughout his rookie season. That learning curve will need to continue.

Goaltenders (3)
Liam Liston (18)
Corbin Boes (18)
Curtis Honey (17*)

Synopsis
The Wheat Kings are hoping Liam Liston comes to training camp with a chip on his shoulder, looking to prove himself after being bypassed in the NHL Draft. He was considering by many as the top Western Canada goaltending prospect before last season and needs to regain that form. Corbin Boes should provide a push for Liston and, in turn, could be pushed for a roster spot by Curtis Honey, the Mac's Midget Tournament MVP last winter. Tyler Fuhr, 16, is likely at least a year away.

I asked him about Galbraith possibly playing forward in an energy role because of the crowded defense, also on the possibility of Glennie coming back as a 20 year old.

Debate...

Joe Hallenback
07-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Pretty good job.

Didn't Ferland center Walker and Stone though?

Walker Ferland Stone - Top line should score alot.

Seaman XXX Bertaggia - 2nd line. XXX is a 19/20 year old we are going to trade for. Seaman should add good size and Bertaggia will blow the doors off the league

Meilleur Mraz Asham - Hopefully Mraz adjusts quickly. This line could score and play hard. Asham I think is going to be good

Harms Swriypa Conroy - Good combination of skill,size and speed. Not really a 4th line and KM loves to roll 4 lines and press the attack

Nelson Palmer Proft - Possibly all 3 stick around for a bit until the 20 year old situation is settled. That Palmer looked good at the prospect camp

Melynchuk Pulock - Pulock will score 20 this year. Brodie is the player fans love to hate but he will be solid for us

Fransoo Hunter - Played much better the 2nd half of the season. If these 2 guys come into campe with some muscle they will be very hard to play against

Roy Miller - Beauty and the Beast. Roy showed signs of brilliance and Miller will crush people.

Nikkel - Real wild card here. He will force his way into the lineup at some point too good not too.

Kuzcek - Might be a better option then Miller in the long term

Waltz - Depends on how strong he is at camp but with the depth could find himself in Midget or the AJHL next year

Galbraith - Rover. Solid team guy. Looked better the 2nd half of the season. Tough to say I like this kid.

Liston - Hopefully over the concussion. Should play better and hopefully more consistent.

Boes - Shocked alot of people making the team. Up and down season but he has that look of a WHL goalie. Will push Liston

Honey - Wild card like Boes last season. May push one of the goalies out via trade if plays well in camp.

Really really looking forward to next season. I was expecting the worst last season and was pleasantly surprised. Much kudos to the Wheaties scouting staff for finding gems and constantly allowing us to watch a competitive team.

I am expecting big things from this years team. That defense should improve and if they get consistent goaltending we will be at the top of the east. Goal scoring will be a problem if the Euros don't adjust. Feels odd to say that since we always seem to score alot

Boltz9
07-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Do you see Kelly using one of the dmen in a package to get a good center? Possibly Miller or maybe one of the younger guys. This would open up a spot for Nikkel.

Also I think that Roy could push up into that 2nd pairing, probably in place of Hunter.

TourettesGuy
07-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Hoping for Palmer to make the Wheat Kings, kids hands are sick.

chalk_one_up
07-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Would Jon Gaudet be someone to factor in, or was he released from the PPL? He did have 4 points in 10 games.

Boltz9
07-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Would Jon Gaudet be someone to factor in, or was he released from the PPL? He did have 4 points in 10 games.

Good question, and I don't know the answer. But he did look very good last year.

Johnny Table
07-05-2011, 10:00 PM

He is off the list. No need for a 19 yr old filling up a spot on the 50.

scruffy1
07-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Will 2 small forwards work? Swriypa is fearless but can be knocked off the puck. What kind of game does Bertaggia play?

Joe Hallenback
07-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Will 2 small forwards work? Swriypa is fearless but can be knocked off the puck. What kind of game does Bertaggia play?

Bertaggia plays alot like Calvert. I would really love to get a big number 2 center or go with Seaman in that spot. I am unsure if they want him as a winger or Center. He started the year as a center but finished as a winger I think.

I think alot will depend on how some of those 17 year old forwards do. Harms,Conroy,Asham and Proft. One of those guys needs to step up and be an impact player. Honestly I thought Asham made the team last year and was a little surprised that they kept Proft ahead of him. It sounds like Proft might be coming into camp as more of a fighter this year though. Apparently he was pretty rough in midget this past year.

Another guy who might have a shot is Daniel Taillefer. He was real good in callups to Midget AAA Eastman this year and is a scoring machine. I think he will end up going the same route Walker and Harms went and play with the Portage Terriers as a 16 year old.

Jack Palmer looked like he was physically ready to play in the WHL. Nice skater,good size and soft set of hands. Could be the Seaman of this year as that guy who comes out of know where to earn a spot.

Taylor Cooper and Mitch Collett were scoring stars in Minor Midget in Alberta but I think they are a little physically immature and a season in Major Midget would help them.

chalk_one_up
07-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Scratch Harms from that roster. Looks like he's going to Bemidji State. (http://luberslounge.blogspot.com/2011/07/wheat-kings-lose-top-prospect.html)

WHL > College imo

Joe Hallenback
07-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Scratch Harms from that roster. Looks like he's going to Bemidji State. (http://luberslounge.blogspot.com/2011/07/wheat-kings-lose-top-prospect.html)

WHL > College imo

Color me surprised I asked him during the MJHL finals and he said he was coming to Brandon for sure. Must have gotten a full ride for 4 years. GL to him tough decision to make at that age

chalk_one_up
07-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Cody Nelson dropped from the PPL. Unfortunate, but he would have had a hard time cracking the top 12 with the depth the W'Kings have in their system.

Anyone know if any other team picked him up?

Joe Hallenback
07-08-2011, 01:31 PM
So what does that leave us now

Walker Ferland Stone
Seaman Mraz Bertaggia
Meilleur Swryipa Asham
Conroy McGauley Proft
Palmer

Would they really start the season with 7 potential WHL rookies?

Something has to be brewing

the voice
07-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Nelson quoted in the Brandon paper as having lots of offers and he's narrowed it down to Spokane and Prince Albert, or Portage where he had lots of success this spring. As for something brewing, be assured that Kelly McCrimmon will make a few moves to shore up the offence by trading away some D. Likely 2-3 solid older(19,20) forwards away from a deep run in playoffs.

booboo
07-21-2011, 12:40 PM
With all the rookies up front plus Favreau and Ciarelli whom I'm not sold on Kelly will probably trade 2 of his D-men or one of his goalies( if Honey can be a back-up) for help up front, It is hard to believe that 7 rookie forwards can be asked to be big contributors. Also there is no guarantee that either of the Euros will show and that they play more like Meiritz than Juraj Simek. Could be a very young team with great potential--typical first half season struggle wit great improvement in the second half. If we can get consistent goaltending and given our strength on defence we will not need to score as many goals as last year's team in order to win games.:groovy:

Boltz9
07-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Anybody know exactly when the upcoming prospects camp is? I'm going thru a bad case of hockey denial atm.

Joe Hallenback
07-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Anybody know exactly when the upcoming prospects camp is? I'm going thru a bad case of hockey denial atm.

Last year was end of August/start of September. Long ways away yet

Snoopy
07-30-2011, 10:49 AM
I was right about Harms wasn't I?? lol

Also Cody Nelson is too slow to play in the dub next year. He needs at least one year of junior.