C :Braes, Maxwell, Soffilas,Merkley,Ramsay
RW: Sutter, Bezuick,Tarnasky,Mackechnie

On the fence if anyone above is traded or does not perform
Moser,Watson, Guiel, Leverton,Laurencelle

LDM: Ryckman, Bloomquist,Jackson,Henry
RDM: Johnston,Oslanski, Kizuik,Hulit

On the fence if any dman is traded or does not perform
Erkamps, Topping

G: Anderson, Kovacs and expect Ferguson to hang around until Anderson is back from pro camp

grainbear
07-24-2011, 02:18 PM
On the defence should also have shown Stephen Hak

canes watcher
07-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Branden Scheidl as good as Erkamps and Topping. He's been great for Team Sask and was in the Mac's final.

grainbear
07-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Obviously a good dman , however because of his smaller frame think he would be allowed one more year of growth before the move to the big leagues is any of the older dmen don't make it or get moved. With the addition of the Euro and size of our other dmen seeing him one year away. Prospect list only shows him at 5'9" Power forwards in the league would beat him up this year despite his obvious skills.

lethyfan
07-25-2011, 07:16 PM
its amazing to me grainbear how you think you have the inside goods on different players <think you will be eating crow come this season on some of your picks and some of the ones u try to think you know ,thank god rich preston is the gm and picks the team and not you lol!:clap:

2speak4all
07-25-2011, 08:54 PM
its amazing to me grainbear how you think you have the inside goods on different players <think you will be eating crow come this season on some of your picks and some of the ones u try to think you know ,thank god rich preston is the gm and picks the team and not you lol!:clap:

Be interesting to see what players you would pick?

shushu
07-25-2011, 11:25 PM

i think he gives us his honest opinion of how he feels towards certain players and who will make the cut or not..he obviously does his home work toward what he is saying so right or wrong you cant knock him, that what he believes.....period......on another note...i can see topping making the team as a 16 year old this year, last year in training camp as a 15 he looked amazing,didn't look out of place at all. given his age sometimes kids like topping and jackson would be a mistake to send them back 4 the simple reason that they are ready and to send them back is only stunting their growth.............ps.........keep them good post coming grainbear i enjoy reading them......

lethyfan
07-26-2011, 02:20 PM
my point is at the end of the day all grainbears post are , are his opinion and you know what they say about opinions ! He may think he does his homework but he doesnt know anyone with the hurricanes coaching staff or rich preston or brad robson , or what players have improved over the last year and trained there buts off or what any off these players have been told about making the team from rich preston himself or the conversations these players have had with there agents who have already had conversations with rich preston . He has stated comments on his own belief from seeing stats on a computer not fair to judge players on any of his little knowledge as he doesnt really know any of the up comming prospects , its just his guess! would be sad if any of the prospects who have been told by the actual team ie(rich preston)that they will be making the team this year have to read his negative comments on themselves and crush there confidence by a fan who just thinks he knows about them !!;)

2speak4all
07-26-2011, 04:29 PM
my point is at the end of the day all grainbears post are , are his opinion and you know what they say about opinions ! He may think he does his homework but he doesnt know anyone with the hurricanes coaching staff or rich preston or brad robson , or what players have improved over the last year and trained there buts off or what any off these players have been told about making the team from rich preston himself or the conversations these players have had with there agents who have already had conversations with rich preston . He has stated comments on his own belief from seeing stats on a computer not fair to judge players on any of his little knowledge as he doesnt really know any of the up comming prospects , its just his guess! would be sad if any of the prospects who have been told by the actual team ie(rich preston)that they will be making the team this year have to read his negative comments on themselves and crush there confidence by a fan who just thinks he knows about them !!;)

Everyone here is just stating their opinion, unless Preston, Kabbie, or Robson are here under alias names. As for any kids who are being told that they would make the team and then read the comments of a fan and have their confidence crushed?? -- then they should not be reading this blog if their confidence is so easily crushed and if it is -- then they really don't have what it takes to play at this level.

If they have been told by any coaching staff that they will not make the team this year, then all the more power to them to prove the coaching staff wrong and fight to make a spot on the roster.

Either way, anyone and everyone posting here is just stating their opinion and should be entitled to just that. We all have our opinions as to who will be there and who will not -- but the bottom dollar is -- of course it depends on what they do all summer to prepare and who shows up and who doesn't.

Training camp is around corner. I enjoy seeing what prospects fans are choosing. It is like predicting what the roulette table will spin.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

grainbear
07-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Since Websters dictionary defines opinion as a mental estimate based on what seems probable or true but not on demonstrable fact , I view your comments as being an affirmation of the homework being done. I also agree that it is not my decision but is a collective decision based on performance as seen by the scouts, management and countless scouting reports over the prior seasons. I certainly wish I had a crystal ball but also one for our competition prior to each game so that this could assist our team to win every game. The key here is to get our fans and all of you thinking Canes hockey and show up and support this team which has some great young talent and also some veterans who I believe are going to have stellar year.

shushu
07-26-2011, 10:10 PM

that any of these kids on the team give 2 **** what we on this forum have to say.....i dont think so..........

moon
07-27-2011, 10:01 AM
thank god rich preston is the gm

Bwhahahahahaha

Ya without Preston we may have finished in the bottom 4 the past two season with little hope for the future. That would be terrible!

Everyone here is just stating their opinion, unless Preston, Kabbie, or Robson are here under alias names.

I don't think so most of the posts (lethyfan excluded) are too intelligent to be from those 3.

Brandon
07-29-2011, 08:52 AM

I have really enjoyed this section of the board since the draft. Grainbear seems very in tune with whats up. He has done his homework and I like his opinions. I probably have found a few I don't agree with but I certainly like to read his opinion. That is what being a fan is about, doing your homework and picking guys you like. If any of these kids are affected by the typings of someone on this board, they are in the wrong business. The young men I have had the honour of meeting, who have potential to play in this league or have played in this league, don't really care what anyone thinks unless the refer to that person as coach, dad or scout. Even Dad doesn't always matter. The parents are more bothered by the discussion and really they should no better than to read (billets with thin skins should heed this advice as well). I am glad there are people with opinions who spawn all the hockey talk on this board. Unfortunately I am a Hitmen fan and season ticket holder and couldn't forward my thoughts on the entire Hurricanes roster (I have a soft spot for the Canes). But I think you, Lethy, would be best to do one of two things when on this board and seeing a grainbear post you don't agree with. 1) make your own list and discuss hockey and forward the discussion, the real point of this board. or 2) Not make a comment because you are offended for whatever reason.

I find that every team has similar people who don't want to discuss players and just want to call names when people do have opinions. Whatever your connection or assumed connection to the team or a certain player is, it doesn't matter, if you have nothing to add to the debate move on.

lethyfan
08-05-2011, 11:57 AM
tarnasky just delisted on wednesday , guess preston is going young this year!

CanesCrazy
08-05-2011, 06:59 PM
tarnasky just delisted on wednesday , guess preston is going young this year!

Where did you hear this? There has been no mention by the Hurricanes organization, Pat's blog or in the media.

lethyfan
08-05-2011, 07:34 PM
good family friend is a scout with another whl team and it came out on the add and deletes of the 50 man roster on wed sent out to all the clubs dont think its something the club will advertise

grainbear
08-05-2011, 09:08 PM
If the Tarnasky news is accurate, part of me is not surprised but part of is sorry. Even though he never brought offense to the team and even when he saw limited ice time he showed the effort for the shifts he was given. I respected what he did and I am hoping for one of two things, firstly that someone takes a chance on him and with the wisdom of his brothers and others he can become a late bloomer.Secondly, that if he does not get that chance that he continues in his post junior career to show the attributes that will make him a great individual in his other adventures.I originally had him penciled in because of the effort he showed and as John Chapman once said give me a kid with the heart and the willingness to learn and work and we can make him a better hockey player and certainly a better individual then one who is more skilled but does not have the desire and work ethic. If so long then thanks for your commitment and great success in the future

CanesCrazy
08-05-2011, 09:37 PM
I agree that Tarnasky was a hard and solid worker every shift. If he is no longer with our team I really hope someone else sees the heart and willingness in him and picks him up. It will be to their benefit I am sure.

CanesCrazy
08-05-2011, 09:38 PM
good family friend is a scout with another whl team and it came out on the add and deletes of the 50 man roster on wed sent out to all the clubs dont think its something the club will advertise

Assuming your source is accurate was there any word on Moser? I would be surprised to see them keep Moser over Tarnasky.

lethyfan
08-05-2011, 09:44 PM
not sure on moser, but i agree with u if tarnasky is gone i think moser will be close behind, heard preston is goin young and all the signed 17 yr olds will make the team as well as some of the 16 yr olds time to rebuild!

shushu
08-06-2011, 01:19 AM
i would be shocked if they sent tarnasky packing before moser, neil provided toughness and drive over ryan any day of the week..not to take anything away from either but tarnasky would be someone that would make a good 4th line guy........

Bocephus
08-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Its always tough to watch a hard worker sent packing. You'd like to see guys like that be successful but it was pretty clear he just didn't have the talent to continue at the WHL level. I hope he catches on and has success in the AMJHL at least. I'm sure he could be a contributer at that level.
As far as being a solid tough guy? His fight videos prove otherwise. Always willing for sure but not always on the right end of the outcome.
Good luck wherever you land Tarnasky.

Bocephus
08-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Along the lines of going young...any chance Anderson would be dealt? There are a few teams that could use him. Perhaps MJ. Is it a little crazy to hand over the reigns to Kovacs as a 17? What is Anderson's worth on the market? It will be interesting to see if Anderson will be improved over last season's performance.

Brandon
08-08-2011, 10:27 AM
I wonder what the return on Anderson would be. Lets face it he didn't have a great season last year, after his NHL camp hype I certainly expected more.

I am not sure where he would land either. Maybe Kamloops would be interested. I don't think it would be a bad idea if the intention is to go young.

Odd for a team to cut a 19 year old mid summer. Bring him to camp and see what he does would make more sense, especially a guy who is a heart and soul kind of player. Wonder (without any info for basis) if there is a disconnect between him and the coaching staff?

grainbear
08-08-2011, 06:38 PM
I certainly see us younger in the forward area, but not sure that it is going to happen in the back end. I for one fully expect Anderson will be the go to guy in the crease and also with currently 4 returning 19 year old dmen and then we have Jackson, the swede and Hulit at 18 and then maybe 1 or 2 youngsters for 7 or 8 we have a tough experienced and big defensive group that can certainly allow the younger forwards coming time to bring there game up to speed with the veterans we already have at forward as well. Bring on camp

2speak4all
08-08-2011, 10:25 PM
I certainly see us younger in the forward area, but not sure that it is going to happen in the back end. I for one fully expect Anderson will be the go to guy in the crease and also with currently 4 returning 19 year old dmen and then we have Jackson, the swede and Hulit at 18 and then maybe 1 or 2 youngsters for 7 or 8 we have a tough experienced and big defensive group that can certainly allow the younger forwards coming time to bring there game up to speed with the veterans we already have at forward as well. Bring on camp

Do you think they will keep all four 19 year dman along with the Swede, Jackson, and Hulit who all are 18. I think that at least 2 of those 19 year olds will be gone as well as Hulit. That will open the door for the Swede and Jackson for more ice and possibly a few 16 year on Defence to start a rebuilding on the defensive core.

Bring on Camp :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dutchie
08-09-2011, 08:42 PM
According to Pat's blog,Preston said both Tarnasky&Moser have been released. He said he tried to trade both but there were no takers. Both have been invited to other teams camps however.

canes77
08-10-2011, 09:13 AM
According to Pat's blog,Preston said both Tarnasky&Moser have been released. He said he tried to trade both but there were no takers. Both have been invited to other teams camps however.

That's interesting since last season the Canes started with all of their returning vets! It's fitting that Preston also said there "definately" will be three 16 year olds making the club, I like the sounds of that since last season's team only had one!

2speak4all
08-10-2011, 11:39 AM
That's interesting since last season the Canes started with all of their returning vets! It's fitting that Preston also said there "definately" will be three 16 year olds making the club, I like the sounds of that since last season's team only had one!

Makes one think, that the roster may already be penciled in without even having anyone hit the ice

:confused: :burningmad: :(

grainbear
08-10-2011, 08:27 PM
There very well maybe 3 16 year olds but as I read Pats post I believe Preston said that most teams keep 3 , that does not necessarily mean he will keep with the talent coming in at age 16 and 17 we could easily including the 2 imports have 11 players who the whl would classify as rookies and depending on whether we get our 20 year olds back from camp and Anderson it could be higher. We certainly should be able to sell programs at the start of the season

Possible Rookies 18 year olds" Hulit, Linkoping,Skalica ,Hak
17 year olds:Balog, Kovacs, Topping, Mckechnie, Henry,Yakubowski,
Guiel, (this is not all either)
16 year olds: too many to name what with 65 kids expected in camp

2speak4all
08-10-2011, 08:35 PM
There very well maybe 3 16 year olds but as I read Pats post I believe Preston said that most teams keep 3 , that does not necessarily mean he will keep with the talent coming in at age 16 and 17 we could easily including the 2 imports have 11 players who the whl would classify as rookies and depending on whether we get our 20 year olds back from camp and Anderson it could be higher. We certainly should be able to sell programs at the start of the season

IMO, Hulit will not be back playing. He never showed what it had. Topping will only be a 16 year old. I agree Kovacs will be there and Henry, but as for the rest it will be a tooth n nail fight to get the spots that are left. There are too many new names to list. Although I do think McKechnie will be there too.

grainbear
08-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Any one heard where these two are headed to for tryouts?

HURRICANE'S ROCK
08-12-2011, 05:20 PM

Preston's quote. "If you look around the league most teams will start the season with around three 16 years olds, which we will definitely have this year." .I think from that we can assume we will have at least 3 16 year olds. For me, the younger the Canes are this year the happier I will be. I say go really young and aim for 2016. Probably means MISSING THE PLAYOFFS AGAIN this year, but so be it. Let our 16 and 17 year olds play major minutes and learn in the WHL.

GOOOOO CANES!!!

2speak4all
08-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Preston's quote. "If you look around the league most teams will start the season with around three 16 years olds, which we will definitely have this year." .I think from that we can assume we will have at least 3 16 year olds. For me, the younger the Canes are this year the happier I will be. I say go really young and aim for 2016. Probably means MISSING THE PLAYOFFS AGAIN this year, but so be it. Let our 16 and 17 year olds play major minutes and learn in the WHL.

GOOOOO CANES!!!

I want to make sure I keep this post. 'Cause when the 'Canes don't make the playoffs this year, I want to be able to bring this up.

IMO, the 'Canes will be young and inexperienced except for some of our top line of 20 years olds and some of our back end of defencemen. All we ever hear though, is why we didn't make the playoffs and it is boring not making the playoffs and it sucks to come to a game to watch your team lose.

I don't think making playoffs is a big deal other than it put some money in the Board's coffers -- go Canes and build a team to reckon with and the let the veteran players we have lead the way for the new generation of youngsters.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
08-12-2011, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE=2speak4all;167477]I want to make sure I keep this post. 'Cause when the 'Canes don't make the playoffs this year, I want to be able to bring this up.

OK save it and bring it up in April. I am not sure what you are trying to say, but if you are insinuating that I will have a hissy fit when we don't play in the post season, you are sadly mistaken. If the Canes are not one of the youngest teams in the league next year, or the absolute youngest, our management is incompetent. I just tell it like it is. :confused:

We have so much potential with our 15 and 16 year old kids, it is scary. But as they say, potential is totally overrated. Show me the results on the Ice in the next 2 to 4 years.!! :clap:

canes77
08-12-2011, 10:39 PM
One small factor that comes to mind is if Preston has debated/weighed his two possible worse case scenarios. I believe after this season (the third of his contract) there is an option or clause that could end the contract. And if someone can either confirm or correct me on that, that'd be helpful.

The two scenarios I mention are both if the Canes fail to make the playoffs, which I personally hope doesn't happen but we never know right?! I would think Preston would rather fail with his own hand-picked rookies and young players than with a number of the former GM's picks. If this happened with his own guys, he would feel more responsible and not have to wonder what if, (including potentially watching the next coach win with his former picks!)

This season is finally a big test of how well him and Robson have done in terms of scouting and drafting. Robson was a top scout for a perennial Stanley Cup contender before he joined the Canes, let's hope he can repeat that trend in the WHL. Other than the size factor, I believe the Canes have top notch rookies coming in! If they all can come close to, if not match, the determination and heart of Maxwell and Sofillas, the Canes will do just fine!

shushu
08-12-2011, 11:35 PM
One small factor that comes to mind is if Preston has debated/weighed his two possible worse case scenarios. I believe after this season (the third of his contract) there is an option or clause that could end the contract. And if someone can either confirm or correct me on that, that'd be helpful.

The two scenarios I mention are both if the Canes fail to make the playoffs, which I personally hope doesn't happen but we never know right?! I would think Preston would rather fail with his own hand-picked rookies and young players than with a number of the former GM's picks. If this happened with his own guys, he would feel more responsible and not have to wonder what if, (including potentially watching the next coach win with his former picks!)

This season is finally a big test of how well him and Robson have done in terms of scouting and drafting. Robson was a top scout for a perennial Stanley Cup contender before he joined the Canes, let's hope he can repeat that trend in the WHL. Other than the size factor, I believe the Canes have top notch rookies coming in! If they all can come close to, if not match, the determination and heart of Maxwell and Sofillas, the Canes will do just fine!

a 3 year contract with a 2 year option..which means after this year either party can say goodbye without any hangups.....between the board and preston i cant see anything happening unless money becomes a issue with the team...the biggest change could be preston steps up stairs and they hire a new coach to run the bench.....changing anything ( management wise ) at this point would be counterproductive in a massive way..you might as well through the last 2 year out the window..............

grainbear
08-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Perhaps I am the eternal optomist but i honestly do not see how this team should be sitting on the sidelines at the end of this season. No they will not win the memorial cup but If Anderson is at the top of his game for most nights and he does not get conflicting coaching from our goal tending coach as to what he received from his coach during the summer and the instructions from the NHL coachs he should be fine. Or defense will be fine and with the additon of the Swede this will help as well because I see a real battle for who will be the top 4. Also if Braes,Fyten and Sutter as our top line they will be as good as any in the league. Our second line with Hood and perhaps the Slovak should be a strong line irregardless of who centers it amongst our centermen. If Tot can stay healthy and with the new emphasis on hits to the head that should help and you add in mAXWELL, SOFFILLAS AND RAMSEY and the new influx of yougsters we should be fine in the third and fourth lines, Why not this Year ?

emptynet
08-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Not in any particular order

LW: Fyten, Hood, Tot, Yakubowski,Balog
C :Braes, Maxwell, Soffilas,Merkley,Ramsay
RW: Sutter, Bezuick,Tarnasky,Mackechnie

On the fence if anyone above is traded or does not perform
Moser,Watson, Guiel, Leverton,Laurencelle

LDM: Ryckman, Bloomquist,Jackson,Henry
RDM: Johnston,Oslanski, Kizuik,Hulit

On the fence if any dman is traded or does not perform
Erkamps, Topping

G: Anderson, Kovacs and expect Ferguson to hang around until Anderson is back from pro camp

I think you'll need to make a couple of roster changes since Moser and Tarnasky have been released. I'm going to suggest that Bloomquist will be part of the top d-men pairing. The blueline is pretty weak in my opinion.

emptynet
08-24-2011, 02:11 PM
I want to make sure I keep this post. 'Cause when the 'Canes don't make the playoffs this year, I want to be able to bring this up.

IMO, the 'Canes will be young and inexperienced except for some of our top line of 20 years olds and some of our back end of defencemen. All we ever hear though, is why we didn't make the playoffs and it is boring not making the playoffs and it sucks to come to a game to watch your team lose.

I don't think making playoffs is a big deal other than it put some money in the Board's coffers -- go Canes and build a team to reckon with and the let the veteran players we have lead the way for the new generation of youngsters.

You don't think making the playoffs is important??????? I think you need your head examined. I think there's a direct correlation between missing the playoffs in consecutive years and attendance in the following years.

emptynet
08-24-2011, 02:19 PM
I would fully expect Merkley to make this lineup FOR SURE. Not sure after that.

emptynet
08-24-2011, 02:22 PM
I don't see them dealing Anderson unless they aren't in a playoff spot come February. Otherwise, he'll be a good mentor for Kovacs.

Bare Bear
08-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Kovacs should push Anderson real hard. I saw him play a couple of times last year and as he is another year older, he should make believers of all the remaining faithful. I would be disappointed if he didn't start 25 games this year.

metalrules
08-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Kovacs should push Anderson real hard. I saw him play a couple of times last year and as he is another year older, he should make believers of all the remaining faithful. I would be disappointed if he didn't start 25 games this year.

After seeing Kovacs play last year, I think he will take the starters job by December. The kid was legit last season in AAA midget, and I am hoping he turns into the kind of goalie you build a championship around.