PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp around the corner....

patsdude114
08-07-2011, 05:32 PM
With training camp just around the corner looking at our roster & how does our roster look for the upcoming season.

Center
Weal has a lock on the #1 spot as it has been his for the past 3yrs now. This team will live & die around Weal (yet again) this year.

The 2nd line Center i would think Stephenson has the inside track on this position, as lets face it the Pats are not going to be that good of a team this year why not give Stephenson as much ice time as needed to develop this kid. He showed some great flashes last season but that was it was only flashes.

Other centers on roster are Olstad, Ouellette & Jung (who is used more as a C then a RW which he is listed) altho i do think our 2nd line center will be a revolving door between all 4 guys (Stephenson, Olstad, Ouellette & Jung) lets hope Conacher puts together some stable lines more so then Hunt did.

Wingers
Mitchell could be our top winger returning this season, a heart & soul guy (our captain) i personally feel he needs to play his final year of junior out but the Capitals franchise may have different plans for him since he did sign at the end of the last season.

After Mitchell we have our new euro import in Dominik Volek (who could very well be our best winger) this kid has all the tools is 1 of the top rated euro skaters by NHL central scouting for next seasons draft. He is suppose to have great hands & speed but we will see what he does over in North America as alot of euro's tend to fall flat on their face when they come here with the different culture difference & such. So only time will tell what he will bring to our roster, look for him to be given every chance in the world to play with Weal.

I think we can expect alot more things this season from Schiedl along with Moser. Reider has a chance to take on a bigger role, he is by far 1 of our best PK guys, looking at a guy like Martell who showed some promise last season he could turn into a solid 2nd line guy who can score using his big frame (as he is our biggest forward, sad but true) Klimchuk who was drafted as a Centerman i think will be used as a winger throughout the season (as most players are drafted as a center because they were there bantam teams best players & top players are used at center so they can be in more areas of the ice)

Defense
By the looks of it our biggest loss on defense this year will be Myles Bell (so this post is not going to include him in our defense at all)

Will start with our leaders on the backend in Davidson & Bidlevskii both guys got a chance to play in the AHL last season when our season was over. I expect both to get a chance at AHL training camps but in reality both guys will be back to lead our defense.

A guy like Blidstrand could be a difference maker this coming season. Alot of fans hated him last year but then again alot of fans dont really understand the defensive side of the game & the big adjustment that was needed for him to learn the game over here. Most fans will remember a guy by the name of Filip Novak prob abot 10 yrs ago (an estimate) his 1st season was nothing amazing either. Blidstrand has alot of great tools to work with, he is by far our best skating Dman, & best puck mover, it isnt his fault that only 2 guys could recieve a breakout pass last year (Weal & Mitchell). Also not saying it will happen but Blidstrand could play in the AHL next season as a 19yr old as his rights were drafted to PHI before he came over to north america 1 of the loop holes in the transfer agreement.

I really like the trade involving Underwood coming to our team, a big physical Dman will only strengthen our defense. I am very interested to see what kind of a role Pavkovich will take on this year, he is a bigger Dman (looks bigger then listed) plays an aggressive game & likes to be physical, Underwood will help his development alot. I really dont feel that Bortsmayer will make this team, his size is hard to miss but for his size he plays way to soft, maybe he found a mean streak to him this summer but im not holding my breath on that.

I am very excited to see 2 rookies crack our lineup this year on the backend with Burroughs & Williams, Burroughs really has alot of upside to him (lets not forget who drafted these 2 guys in Ripplinger) also who should have a legit shot at making this team is Peal altho i do think he could be used as trade bait to bring in another forward. Our defense is our strong point when it comes to prospects & could afford to deal a guy like Peal (who really dissappointed alot last season which was why he was sent down, as he played scared)

Goalies
I personally feel Hewitt already has the #1 job all locked down, he played amazing last season down the stretch especially considering how bad our defense was (so glad Schiender is gone) Ketlo will be brought into camp only to push Hewitt to make him earn the #1 spot. I just dont see us going with a 20yr old goalie this year especially with a guy like Ketlo. Im not sure if there is even a trade market for Ketlo. Im sure all you Pats fans know i have never been a big fan of Ketlo when he was given the #1 job 2 seasons ago, he isnt terrible just is not a legit starter in this league, definately a legit backup but 20yr olds are not backups in this league.

I would think Adam Beukeboom will be the front leader to land the backup job behind Hewitt.

Other notable players who could push some veterns are Ty McLean, Brett Harris & goalie Tanner Burgardt.

I do feel that that Weal will be dealt this year as trade deadline approachs maybe even before he heads to the WJ camp as i do feel he will make the WJ's kind of the footsteps as Kozun/Eakin took to get there at age 19.

My thoughts on our roster after training camp, would love to hear other peoples opinions & out looks.

witness
08-08-2011, 04:44 PM
I agree that Weal will be the center piece for this team. I also agree that he will not be a Pats past the trade deadline.

It is interesting to see that the Pats brass are now realizing that the Pats are 2 years away from being contenders. I can buy into that as long as they have a youth plan in place.

I can't see Stephenson being a 2nd line center. Your 1 and 2 centers should not both be under 5'10. You would like one to have a bit of size. I like Ouellette as the #2 center. Has a bit of size and can skate. given some opportunity last year showed a bit of an offensive upside, but solid in his own zone. I do think that Stephenson should be on the 1st or 2nd line. I still can't believe how much the kid sat last year, only to play veterns that were not better than he was.

I also like Scheidl and Moser. Both can skate and have some offensive ability. Is Moser knee healed? He was really hamstrung last year with a bad wheel. In my opinion, Jung is pretty one dimensional and is no better than a 3rd line wing. I also like what Dyson Stevenson brings to the team. I thought he had a good showing last year, when he was given a chance.

I am not a huge Martell fan. The kid has some great hands, but I just don't think his skating skills are WHL level. I hope that he has improved and makes me eat my words.

For kids like Halbgewach, Reeve and Rodenwald, there will be a ton of opportunity for them to make this squad.

How many 16 year olds do you keep without stunting their development? If you keep them, then they better play!!!

Klimchuck is a given. McLean, Harris, Hunt and Hannoun should be in the running with a slight edge going to McLean. I really like Hannoun's game and may just be that diamond in the rough. I will be interested to watch Reimer play. He has some great numbers last year, will they translate to the higher level?

Defense is really up in the air. I don't think that Bell will be back and as an organization you have to move on without him in the equation. It will take a year (at least) to resolve his legal issues and who knows where his head is at right now. He has a lot on his plate to deal with and I don't think that hockey is (or should be) a priority.

I really hope that Bidlevskii and Davidson will both be back. With some of the latest transitions by the Oilers, their defensive depth has been addressed. I would think that if Davidson is back, he too will not be a Pat after the trade deadline.

Underwood seems to be a strong addition. Blidstrand will need to better and I think he will be if he is allowed to play his game. Last year they wanted him to be the physical guy, not his game.

Borstmayer needs to improve drastically over the summer in order to play that 4th or 5th D spot. i really liked Pavkovich, I just didn't think he got much of a chance last year and then the injuries took over.

I do think that there is an opportunity for Peel to make the team. Will Logan report to training camp? Reports say that he wants to go the NCAA route.

Burroughs will make the team. and again how many 16 year olds can you keep?

I have seen Williams play 4 or 5 times since Christmas and the jury is out for me. Will McCrea decide to play in the WHL? If he does, that would dramatically change the defense projections.

I will be interested to see how DeJong and Parrington perform at camp.

I agree that Hewitt will most likely earned the starting goaltender spot. It will be a dog fight between Beukeboom, Sacher and Burgardt for the back up spot.

dsquared
08-08-2011, 05:58 PM
It looks like the Pats will once again look outside the organization for their 20 year olds.
At this point in time the potential 20 year olds include: Mitchell, Davidson, Bidlevskii & Ketlo. It has been over 10 years since the Pats have held a 20 year old goalie -Given Ketlo's inconsistent play - I don't expect Ketlo to occupy 1 of our 20 year old positions - he will end up back in Junior A. I think it is 50-50 whether Mitchell or Davidson stick with their NHL farm teamss. I just don't see both of them returning - so the Pats will have to be buyers in the 20 year old market for at least 1 and possibly 2 players.

patsdude114
08-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Im really not too concerned about the 20yr old position, as really they are just taking away ice time from the young kids that need it. With that said we do need at least 2 of them for leadership & to show these kids what it takes to play at this level.

There could be a very solid 20yr old avalible from Swift Current, depends if the Broncos keep all there 20yr olds spots as forwards or not... Hoban, Peddle & Vause would all look great in a Pats jersey give Weal another player who has some skill to work with at least for 1/2 a year.

Since the Pats will be another young team this year & small by the looks of it again, we need to find a tough guy to protect these players. Last year when Negium came to the team he gave the team some swagger to not always have to play scared. Yes Negium wasnt ur true tough guy & took alot of stupid penalties (which is expected from a tough guy) but he did have everyone's back no matter who u were. Its been awhile since the Pats had a true tough guy/goon type. Would love to see a guy like Dotty from Seattle in a Pats jersy but dont see that happening at all.

If the Pats do fill a 20yr old position from the outside id like to see possibly a couple guys 1 guy that comes to mind from EVT Josh Birkholz as well as Cole Grbavac from MH both play a gritty style of game but both can put up numbers as well.... Birkholz isnt as physical as Grbavac is but either guy would be welcomed size & grit to our roster..... but my 1st choice would be either of Hoban, Peddle or Vause from SC if they are available.

If Mitchell goes pro this year that will be a huge hole that just wont be filled easily a guy like Grbavac would fill it perfectly though.

RWAH
08-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Does any one know, is Cory Nygard still a list player and what are his chances to be invited to camp and make the team. I think he is an 18 year old. showed very well at camp two years ago at camp but last year was hurt.

witness
08-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Nygard is no longer on their protected list

RWAH
08-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks Witness. Is there a web site were protected list are. WHL site or some place

Bepoleon
08-09-2011, 02:59 PM
I don't know if this is the actual protected list or not http://smallatlarge.blogspot.com/2011/06/2011-12-prospects-regina.html