PDA

View Full Version : next season

original6
06-07-2005, 08:39 AM
what do the rockets look like for next season? who will leave and who will come in and replace them?

crush
06-07-2005, 10:24 AM
I think the Rockets will look really good next year as long as they keep the team relatively intact. Look for one of the goalies to be traded for a strong d-man. Overall, we have a good shot at Moncton next year!

Jovorock
06-08-2005, 09:58 AM
I think the Rockets have some tough discisions coming up this year. Gone is Mosienko, Palin, Deschamps and Weber. Three good defensemen and a great forward.

The promising forwards coming is Cody Almond 89, John Kemp 87 (maybe), Mathew Brusciano 89, Colin Long 89, Myles McRae 88. At least four very promising young guys coming with one spot open?

At defense only Luke Schenn 89 is maybe ready for this level, don't know if Couture will be back so that leaves 3-4 open spots with one maybe to fill?

Will they trade Yeomans to get a defenseman? If they don't can you keep Yeomans and Westblom happy? Probly not?

If this was my team I would start the year with both goalies playing each 50% and see what happens.

Defense see how Couture does, get another 20 year old d-man and see what happens between the two for that one spot. That will leave Card, Cumisky, Joe, Reinholt, your 20 yr old spot. Two more spots open for Schenn, Brandon Weber?

I don't think Blanar will be back so that leaves two open forward spots with four young prospects coming. Maybe trade one of the veteran forwards for defensive help?

Rumor has it that Hamilton has a line on a very good Euro defenseman that wants to come here? From now to training camp will be interesting if Bruce pulls off some trades or waits till camp to see how it all unfolds.

IamBatman
06-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Interesting points made Jovo. I think the Rockets start next year playing both goalies, and if Westblom keeps getting better they definitely have to pull the trigger on a trade with Yeomans. Instead of getting a D-man I think they should be getting a high powered scorer. Comeau and Spurgeon are going to step up next year and become quality scorers(as long as Comeau stop taking stupid penalties).

As for the Euro situation I don't think anything will change. Blanar and Darzins will be back. Hopefully Lauris can put some weight on; he will be a force if that happens. Blanar is probably the hardest working player out there. He is one of the only players on the team that finishes every check. Hopefully some of the Rockets can take a lesson from him.

Card and Cuminskey will be the quarterbacks of the defense no doubt.

And maybe by some luck, Weber could come back......(He won't)

DoubleDee
06-08-2005, 04:15 PM
And maybe by some luck, Weber could come back......(He won't)

Well, I could be dead wrong here, but I say Weber will be back!

Not exactly sure how cut off dates work for birthdays to determine overagers but if I am looking at it right and Weber is back that will leave Darzins, Couture and Bodie battling for the final 2 spots.

Now, being from Calgary and use to the world of Kelly Kissio, Darzins would be out since he takes and over age and Euro spot.

However, looking at the Rockets and sort of getting use to the way Hamilton works, I would say "see ya" to Couture. The guy sat out in too many key plays in too many key games.

Our goalie situation is one that I am not sure of. I still say keep Yeomans and find a new home for Westblom. But hey folks - what do I know - lol

J23
06-08-2005, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE As for the Euro situation I don't think anything will change. Blanar and Darzins will be back. Hopefully Lauris can put some weight on; he will be a force if that happens. Blanar is probably the hardest working player out there. He is one of the only players on the team that finishes every check. Hopefully some of the Rockets can take a lesson from him. QUOTE]

Blanar is a good buddy of mine, and although I haven't talked to him about trades or anything, he did mention to me that he's coming to camp next season so... I would think that if he was coming back for camp that he'd most likely stay with the team, because if they didn't want him back they would have told him not to bother showing up for camp right?? :confused:

J23
06-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Hmmm, I'm not sure why my last post didn't quote properly, but I got some weird message when I submitted my post. Sorry to IamBatman, it was his post that I was replying to!

Beaner
06-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Not exactly sure how cut off dates work for birthdays to determine overagers but if I am looking at it right and Weber is back that will leave Darzins, Couture and Bodie battling for the final 2 spots.

Cutoff dates for Birthdays to play in the WHL work as follows, anyone born from Jan.1 1985 to Dec. 31 1985 is considered a 20 yr. old for the '05-'06 Season.

The cutoff dates only get strange for the NHL draft and World juniors, but that may all be changing come the new CBA. There has been talk of raising the draft age, maybe they will change the age cutoff dates as well....

With the NHL and the NHLPA sounding like they have both pulled their heads out of their buts, and will be getting a deal done in the next month, anything could happen to players in Webers Category.

A Fair amount of NHLPA members could retire due to age, or be forced into retirement due to the salary cap thus leaving lots of room for new players to come up, and play in the NHL or move up to the AHL etc.

Gee, he is also drafted by Nashville, that makes me think he is even more likely to get the call up.

I wouldn't expect any player of Webers calibre to be back next year if the CBA deal gets done.

crush
06-08-2005, 09:47 PM
will he be an 18 year old next year (or 17). If he is an 18 that is getting on the old side for a rookie, I've seen him at rookie camps and other than his toughness wasn't overly impressed. He didn't seem to good with the puck. I might have seen him on a bad day though! Hopefully he is like his brother!

Jovorock
06-09-2005, 06:15 AM
Well, I could be dead wrong here, but I say Weber will be back!

Sorry to burst your bubble DD, but he is already signed with Nashville and is 99.9% gone. If he could of played in the AHL as a 19 yr old he would of been gone last year.

The only Weber with the Rockets next year is maybe Brandon.

DoubleDee
06-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble DD, but he is already signed with Nashville and is 99.9% gone. If he could of played in the AHL as a 19 yr old he would of been gone last year.

The only Weber with the Rockets next year is maybe Brandon.

Well, like I said - I could be wrong.

However, I seem to recall a few players over the years who were signed by NHL teams that returned to the WHL for their over-age year.

Who knows - time will tell all. But everyone can agree on that fact that we would all be mighty happy if I am right!

Beaner
06-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Who knows - time will tell all. But everyone can agree on that fact that we would all be mighty happy if I am right!

Not me. :laugh:

original6
06-09-2005, 11:19 AM
I see that John Kemp has verbally committed to NCAA( Nebraska-Omaha) and to the USHL( Indiana Ice ). What about the other incoming forwards-are they all coming forsure?

Jovorock
06-09-2005, 02:31 PM
I see that John Kemp has verbally committed to NCAA( Nebraska-Omaha) and to the USHL( Indiana Ice ). What about the other incoming forwards-are they all coming forsure?
Heard they signed Colin Long, but nothing for sure. All the others want to come here from what I heard.

Heard that Long is a better prospect than Kemp is. Kemp was talking with the Rockets when he was here last year for that midget tournament, he must want to stay in the States?

original6
07-04-2005, 12:59 PM
how does kelowna's picks in euro draft effect the makeup of next years team? And when does the preseason schedule come out?

Jovorock
07-04-2005, 02:06 PM
how does kelowna's picks in euro draft effect the makeup of next years team? And when does the preseason schedule come out?
Edler is a defenseman and will slide right in maybe with Cumisky? Don't know much about Raffl, but if it's him or Darzins it won't make a difference.

Schedule usually comes out early August I believe.