PDA

View Full Version : Sundher ready to lead the way

CdnSailor
08-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Sabres' draft pick has Island roots

Among the 18 returnees in Victoria Royals main camp, which began Monday at Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre, Sundher's experience truly stands out.

There is no player more of a Royals vet than the 19-year-old centre, who saw action in four of the five seasons the Western Hockey League franchise was located in Chilliwack and known as the Bruins.

Throw in the fact he's a Lower Mainland guy from Surrey, and fans might expect Sundher to have been the most upset about the franchise's move from the Fraser Valley to the Island for what will likely be his final season of junior.

Far from it, however, because the 2010 Buffalo Sabres third-round NHL draft pick (selected 75th overall) also has deep Island roots. His greatgrandfather emigrated to Port Alberni from India more than 100 years ago and Sundher's dad, Rob, grew up on the Island cheering for the Victoria Cougars of the WHL and played for Kerry Park.

"As with everything in life, I always look at the bright side," said Sundher.

"I view this as an unbelievable opportunity to close out my junior career on the Island where my family started out and in a huge city [compared to Chilliwack] and in a topnotch rink."

Not that he doesn't feel for the fans in Chilliwack, at whose expense Victoria regained a WHL team after losing the Cougars 17 years ago.

"There were a lot of great people in Chilliwack who I will miss. But for me, it's an unbelievable situation in Victoria."

A lot is expected of Sundher, the Bruins' first-round 2007 bantam draft pick taken seventh overall out of the Burnaby Winter Club.

This will be his fourth fulltime season with the franchise after appearing in six games in 2007-08. He had 19 goals and 39 points in 67 games in 2008-09, 25 goals and 61 points in 72 games in 2009-10 and 24 goals and 76 points last season.

"I'm not a huge guy [sixfeet, 188 pounds], so I've got to be quick. But I feel I'll be ready to play pro after another year of seasoning in junior," said Sundher.

The aim is to start in Buffalo's minor-pro system next season and not have to return for a 20-year-old junior campaign in Victoria.

"I want to move on after this season."

Sundher admits to being wide-eyed last year in Buffalo camp.

"They sat me next to [Vezina Trophy-winning goaltender] Ryan Miller in the dressing room," Sundher recalled.

"These guys [NHLers] can do special things but you see that they are human, too, and make mistakes like everybody else. I took a lot out of that experience."

Because Sundher's dad played hockey, he put him into it when Kevin was just a sapling. But he also wanted his son to experience an individual sport.

With a black belt in karate, Sundher can hold his own.

"I'm crazy about all sports - I love the Dallas Cowboys - but I follow everything from basketball to college sports," said Sundher.

Maybe some day fans will be following him.

Royals main camp continues today with three morning scrimmages from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. followed by two evening scrimmages from 5: 15 p.m. to 10: 15 p.m.

Training camp concludes Wednesday with the intrasquad game at 7 p.m. at the Memorial Centre.

The Royals' first exhibition game is Friday in Kamloops.

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/Sundher+ready+lead/5326733/story.html#ixzz1WWbgNreR