PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Hurricanes

PeacefulChaos
08-31-2011, 09:52 AM
So who will be Captain this year? Any predictions?
I would think Braes or Fyten.

But maybe, since Preston is "going young" he will pick a captain we can have for more than one season....

2speak4all
08-31-2011, 11:26 AM
So who will be Captain this year? Any predictions?
I would think Braes or Fyten.

But maybe, since Preston is "going young" he will pick a captain we can have for more than one season....

is on Braes. Lots of youngsters could be on roster and I don't think there is any one more able to lead the team than Braes. More interestingly, who gets the 'A'. I would see Fyten/Sutter getting one for sure. I believe they have shown that they play with heart/soul each and every game. If they go with a 3rd, who is a team leader and a good mentor in the dressing room? :confused:

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
08-31-2011, 11:33 AM
I would think that third A' would likely go to one of the veteran defensemen and that list might include Johnston or Ryckman. Fyten, Braes, Sutter for sure as they are the expected leaders on this team, but I would not be suprised if (based on his work ethic, tenacity, etc) Russell Maxwell was given an A' so that the club has a built in leader in the making for the next 3 seasons.

Hit the Road Jack! :bowdown:

Stuck in the Penalty Box
08-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Would be my choice for captain with Fyten and Sutter (if he comes back-but Preston seems to think he will be) wearing the A's. As for the third A' it could prove interesting. Preston will likely give it to one of his d-men, or maybe to a player that has 2-3 more seasons left. Now.....this could be a possibility speaking of d-men, if the Swede shows leadership right off the bat (especially on the ice) then he might be the d-man with the A's.

Just wild speculation!

Chow for Now!yeehoo

2speak4all
08-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Would be my choice for captain with Fyten and Sutter (if he comes back-but Preston seems to think he will be) wearing the A's. As for the third A' it could prove interesting. Preston will likely give it to one of his d-men, or maybe to a player that has 2-3 more seasons left. Now.....this could be a possibility speaking of d-men, if the Swede shows leadership right off the bat (especially on the ice) then he might be the d-man with the A's.

Just wild speculation!

Chow for Now!yeehoo

Yup... that could be an idea. He has been to some world chamionships, but that doesn't always mean you are a leader. AS for Maxwell, I think he is too young and is good one the ice, but I'm not sold as to his leadership capability. And I am not sold on a 'local' kid leading the helm. That doesn't always bid well for the other kids on the block.

:clap:

CanesCrazy
08-31-2011, 01:57 PM
I have to go with Fyten on this one wth Braes, Sutter and maybe Johnston with the A's.

canes77
09-03-2011, 01:45 AM
Fyten would be my choice - he never takes a night off and will drop the gloves if necessary, both things can't be said about the others. Even Russ Maxwell is a candidate for an A.

emptynet
09-04-2011, 05:28 PM
My guess is Cam Braes for Captain. He seems to have had a very inspired camp so far and is always full of energy. A great example for the young guys! Fyten with an 'A' and maybe Hood or Sutter with an 'A' as well.

Caniac#5
09-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Braes should be the captain this year. It might be difficult to assign "A's" to Sutter and Fyten if all three are on the same line and all three do return. Some experienced players like Hood or Johnston should be considered. Pilon will have a "C" on his jersey in the upcoming years if he maintains his game. I've never seen a 14 year old play with such poise and confidence.

LethHnds
09-09-2011, 09:59 AM
last night the A's were Fyten Braes and Ryckman...Fyten and Braes yes Ryckman??? Good grief...Johnston should be the A on D.

2speak4all
09-09-2011, 05:35 PM
last night the A's were Fyten Braes and Ryckman...Fyten and Braes yes Ryckman??? Good grief...Johnston should be the A on D.

Guess it depends on who shows leadership in the dressing room.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
09-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Braes should be the captain this year. It might be difficult to assign "A's" to Sutter and Fyten if all three are on the same line and all three do return. Some experienced players like Hood or Johnston should be considered. Pilon will have a "C" on his jersey in the upcoming years if he maintains his game. I've never seen a 14 year old play with such poise and confidence.
For the good of this franchise, the three 20 year olds should NOT be on the same line except for PP and last minute of the game kind of shifts. I believe that Sutter could become the type of player that can ALMOST carry a line by himself.
For the overall development of this team, Merkley and maybe Maxwell or Balog should play with Sutter. Just sayin eh! Things need to be different this year with the Canes as it relates to letting young kids have a ton of guality icetime.

Pilon is Team Canada kinda material if Preston let's him develop properly. He is so young, yet looks so poised at times, he should become a very special type of player. I did not see last nights game in Taber. Can anyone tell me how Merkley and Pilon played?

Stuck in the Penalty Box
09-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Observations......well, Pilon (as Preston has said more than once) could play in this league right now. For a 14 year old (turns 15 in October) he is poised, smart and has tons of skill. Considering that Calgary played with 11 19 and 20 year olds, he held his own very well. He is the future face of this franchise. He played just as well or better than the veteran d-men on this team. I can't wait to see him in action as a 16 year old. Nice thing with the late birthday, the Canes could have him for a long time.....doubt it though, this kid will be a first round NHL pick. Remember that the Canes scouting staff had him rated at the number one d-man for the 2011 draft. You can see why.

Merkely will fit in very nicely at centre. He has speed (as do a lot of the Cane's youngsters) goes to the net and has a solid shot. In my humble opinion he was certainly noticable on the ice (in a good way) and played well against a much older Hitmen lineup. He will be on this team this year.

I know you did not ask Hurricanes Rock, but the two Euros looked very good. Blomquist will be a solid d-man who will put up with no nonsense around our net. Once he learns the WHL style of hockey he will be a force on d.

Bezuch has moves that surprasses Kuvaev and he is a much faster skater. At one point in the game he was the first back to help the d man break up a 2-1 Hitman rush. Smart, and a great shot! His move in the shootout was fantastic and reminded me of some of the moves pulled off by Berglund.

Hope this helps.

Chow for Now! yeehoo

HURRICANE'S ROCK
09-09-2011, 10:02 PM

OMG! Johnston's goal last night was a beauty. Looked like freakin Bobby Orr. Flew by that Hitman D-man like he was a pylon.