PDA

View Full Version : Camp

Brandon
09-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Hey wondering if I could get a Canes fan watching camp to give me a little update on a 96 invite you guys have there. His name is Taro Hirose. Would just like to know how he is doing at camp.

shushu
09-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Hey wondering if I could get a Canes fan watching camp to give me a little update on a 96 invite you guys have there. His name is Taro Hirose. Would just like to know how he is doing at camp.

didn't realy notice him in the mix, but did notice his name on the page so he must have done something good... the players i though that really shined was the line of wong,merkley and nemeth up front, and scheidl and pilon on the backend....this pilon kid is a keeper, at 15 i thought he was one of the better dman hands down..for the white i would say duke up front, there is just something about players like duke, pilon, merkley, wong and a hand full of others on that ice that is superior to the rest.....on the back end i thought hackman and erkamp played very well....
im going friday to watch again, i'l keep my eye on him 4 ya and give you a better read on this fine young man..............

ps.. i cant believe how much talent is in the system......................

Bocephus
09-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the insight shushu. Really appreciate it. cheers

Brandon
09-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks for taking a peak for me. He isn't going to crack the roster anytime soon and would be lucky to make it very far in camp. Good kid though, plays with a ton of heart.

Stuck in the Penalty Box
09-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Just a minor correction.....Pilion is still 14yrs old. He has a late birthday in October.

Eye catchers....Duke, Nemeth, Amson, Olynek, Watson, I wonder how long Guiel will last as he has a ton of speed and skill, he was a late cut last year.

With a ton of young talent to get into the lineup on the blue line, Preston
will likely have to move a couple of last year's d-men in order to make room for them. Kizuik-Oslanski maybe?

Merkley, Leverton, Erkamps, Laurencelle, Topping will be battling for 3 or 4 of the 16 year old spots.

Chow for now! yeehoo

Bocephus
09-02-2011, 03:55 PM
when was the last time this organization had enough depth to have that many 16's possibly roster worthy? Future could be bright.

Trav
09-02-2011, 08:01 PM
How has Stovall looked? he still at camp?

shushu
09-03-2011, 12:27 AM
took agood look at him today,and you right he does play with alot of heart and makes sure he is parked right in front of the net when the puck is shot looking 4 rebounds...his only downfall is his size which is not fair to judge at his age..if he packs away the dogs for nexts year you never know......he sure gives it his all though......as 4 stovall he doesn't look out of place but doesn't shine either, but to be fair the talent level with the 95/96 group is nuts....2 other players that really looked good out there were clayton tait(96) and roman metzer(96) ,for 15 they seem to look real natural on the ice.....................4 a ninth rounder metzer could be a steal......JMO...........

canes77
09-03-2011, 01:39 AM
when was the last time this organization had enough depth to have that many 16's possibly roster worthy? Future could be bright.

For 16 year olds, WHL teams are only allowed to keep 3 all year, right? Even though there are probably 6 or 7 the Canes could keep on the full time roster.

2speak4all
09-04-2011, 02:34 PM
ahead for the coaching staff. There are lots of good potentials to stay. Either way I'm sure will make for an interesting new few weeks. Should be at least 3 or 4 sixteen year olds on the roster for the coming year.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Bring on the Pre-Season!

grainbear
09-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Paul says they have keep 30 anyone seen the list ? Would be nice if Ryan got it out on the web site a little sooner ,

2speak4all
09-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Paul says they have keep 30 anyone seen the list ? Would be nice if Ryan got it out on the web site a little sooner ,

Anderson/Kovac

Henry, Jackson, Oslanski, Kizuik, Johnston, Hulit, Ryckman, Topping, Blomqvist, Erkamps and Pilon (not eligible to play more than 5)

Sutter, Braes, Fyten, Ramsay, Tot, Sofillas, Hood, Maxwell, Bezuck, Balog, Harper, Guiel, Watson, Leverton, Merkley, McKenchnie, and Yakubowski.

That means the goaltenders for the year are set. IMO, likely to cut 2 more defenceman and probably 3 more forwards to go. Pilon will go for sure and possibly Hulit. As for forwards, I think Harper, Guiel and Watson are cuts to come yet. Next few weeks will be interesting.

doc64
09-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Anderson/Kovac

Henry, Jackson, Oslanski, Kizuik, Johnston, Hulit, Ryckman, Topping, Blomqvist, Erkamps and Pilon (not eligible to play more than 5)

Sutter, Braes, Fyten, Ramsay, Tot, Sofillas, Hood, Maxwell, Bezuck, Balog, Harper, Guiel, Watson, Leverton, Merkley, McKenchnie, and Yakubowski.

That means the goaltenders for the year are set. IMO, likely to cut 2 more defenceman and probably 3 more forwards to go. Pilon will go for sure and possibly Hulit. As for forwards, I think Harper, Guiel and Watson are cuts to come yet. Next few weeks will be interesting.

Glad they have these tough decisions to make. Would love to see Watson stick but all their youngsters are showing some great play making ability. Looking forward to seeing some competitive preseason games.

emptynet
09-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Sorry, I didn't notice Hirose either, but as another blogger mentioned, he was on the score sheet. REALLY noticed Merkley in Saturday's scrimmages. His skating is so smooth, it looks effortless! He's also got great feet (inside/out, backwards/forward transitions are very smooth).

I also noticed Reid Nemeth, Remi Laurencelle, and Tyler Wong. Wong has a quick snap shot and is pretty solid on his skates for a '96 born.

One player that I thought I'd notice more was Jamal Watson. Didn't really seem to stand out on Saturday (and I couldn't go today). I thought they had high hopes for Watson??

LethHnds
09-04-2011, 06:48 PM
With them keeping 17 forwards and Soffillas out indefintly and Tot still a ways away they may only cut 1 or two forwards going into the regular season.....The youth looked great but I liked how some of the returning veterans looks...Fyten Braes and Sutter looked good and Johnston looked really good on D.....I think they still need another experienced forward up front so maybe with 10 defenceman they have there is an opportunity for a trade...probably going to be a better second half of the year than first half while all the new faces get adjusted to the WHL

Stuck in the Penalty Box
09-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Following the training camp the Canes listed the 30 players remaining for the main camp, including:
FWDS: Braes, Sutter, Fyten (91's) Hood (92), Ramsay, Soffilias, Tot (93's) Maxwell (94): Rookies: Bezuch (93), Balog, Guiel, Harper, Yakubowski, McKechnie (94's);Leverton, Merkley, Watson (95's)

DEF: Johnston, Kizuik, Olslanski, Ryckman (92's) Jackson (93)
Rookies: Blomquist, Hulit (93's), Henry (94), Erkamps, Topping (94) and they also list Pilon (96) but he can't play as he is only 14 (turns 15 in Oct). Likely keeping him for just the experience.

GOAL: Anderson (92) Kovacs (94)...also will likely bring one up when Anderson goes to Washington's camp.

Speculation.....with all the young talent up front, they will have to make room for the likes of Yakuboski, Merkley, McKechnie and Bezuch. Harper is a work in progress as he is a converted d-man. Also Balog deserves a good look. Guiel's size will go against him. With Tot and Sofillas still suffering from concussions, it will give the youngsters a good long look in the pre-season.
Ramsay (looked good in camp) might be on the bubble.

As for the blue line, once again a hard choice...Blomquist is a shoe-in. Then the decision becomes tough......Hulit, Henry, Topping, all look good. I can see a trade for a couple of blueliners moving on out.....do not be surprised if Kizuik and Oslanski are dealt.

Steal of the 2011 draft----Nemeth!

Chow for Now! yeehoo

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
09-04-2011, 07:41 PM
I am really impressed with Juraj Bezuch the Slovka foward. He has speed, great hands and is not afraid to go into the "dirty" spots to fight for the puck. He should add to the scoring on this club. Could see a lot of power play opportunities.

One thing is for sure (most of the comments here back me up) that there is a wealth of talent with the 95,96's. That makes the future look brighter than it has for quite a while, but it also creates a problem for Preston and Robson, in that they will not be able to keep them all.

Tuesday 1:30 practices begin....first exhibition game Thursday in Taber vs Calgary.

Hit the road Jack! :bowdown:

grainbear
09-04-2011, 11:23 PM
The only surprise to me was Harper, not that he should not be there but I thought there were others with a little more speed but he is a big kid and with work will become a good power forward and that is maybe what the coaches wanted because the others had the speed and moves but can they win the battles in the corners and that is what Harrison brings.The two I wish were still here are Stoval and Laurecelle both quick and with another year should come back like Yakubowski , Guieli and Mckechnie and make this team next year.. just like the above mentioned players. The ineresting battle will be at d and also the time frame for Tot and Soffilas to get back in the lineups. With all the talent and with the concern about head injuries I sure hope they do it slow and sure so that once back they are back. I have seen in the summaries a few penalties for hits to the head but I expected more as the guys learn what is not allowed any more.

emptynet
09-09-2011, 09:46 AM
The only surprise to me was Harper, not that he should not be there but I thought there were others with a little more speed but he is a big kid and with work will become a good power forward and that is maybe what the coaches wanted because the others had the speed and moves but can they win the battles in the corners and that is what Harrison brings.The two I wish were still here are Stoval and Laurecelle both quick and with another year should come back like Yakubowski , Guieli and Mckechnie and make this team next year.. just like the above mentioned players. The ineresting battle will be at d and also the time frame for Tot and Soffilas to get back in the lineups. With all the talent and with the concern about head injuries I sure hope they do it slow and sure so that once back they are back. I have seen in the summaries a few penalties for hits to the head but I expected more as the guys learn what is not allowed any more.
I actually noticed Tyler Wong at the two games I was at last week. I didn't expect to notice him due to his size, but he's got great foot speed and let go a couple of snap shots that made me look at the roster sheet ("who is that guy......oh Wong!"). I think you can add him to the surprises and will only add to the depth of young talent.

I guess what I'm saying is that he was another nice surprise........

emptynet
09-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Following the training camp the Canes listed the 30 players remaining for the main camp, including:
FWDS: Braes, Sutter, Fyten (91's) Hood (92), Ramsay, Soffilias, Tot (93's) Maxwell (94): Rookies: Bezuch (93), Balog, Guiel, Harper, Yakubowski, McKechnie (94's);Leverton, Merkley, Watson (95's)

DEF: Johnston, Kizuik, Olslanski, Ryckman (92's) Jackson (93)
Rookies: Blomquist, Hulit (93's), Henry (94), Erkamps, Topping (94) and they also list Pilon (96) but he can't play as he is only 14 (turns 15 in Oct). Likely keeping him for just the experience.

GOAL: Anderson (92) Kovacs (94)...also will likely bring one up when Anderson goes to Washington's camp.

Speculation.....with all the young talent up front, they will have to make room for the likes of Yakuboski, Merkley, McKechnie and Bezuch. Harper is a work in progress as he is a converted d-man. Also Balog deserves a good look. Guiel's size will go against him. With Tot and Sofillas still suffering from concussions, it will give the youngsters a good long look in the pre-season.
Ramsay (looked good in camp) might be on the bubble.

As for the blue line, once again a hard choice...Blomquist is a shoe-in. Then the decision becomes tough......Hulit, Henry, Topping, all look good. I can see a trade for a couple of blueliners moving on out.....do not be surprised if Kizuik and Oslanski are dealt.

Steal of the 2011 draft----Nemeth!

Chow for Now! yeehoo
What is the reports on Tot and Sophilas?? I think they need to be careful with both, but especially Tot. He had two (or more?) separate concussion incidents last year, which makes him more susceptible to more. I feel bad for him cause he showed he can play in the league.

Anyone heard any info on the progress of these two??