PDA

View Full Version : California kid right at home in Victoria

pontcanna
09-01-2011, 11:39 PM
California kid right at home in Victoria

BY MARIO ANNICCHIARICO, TIMESCOLONIST.COM SEPTEMBER 1, 2011 10:08 PM

More than 2,100 kilometres — including a border crossing — from home, Taylor Crunk is attempting to settle into a new abode as his undertaking to secure a spot on the Victoria Royals continued Thursday at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre.

The 16-year-old resident of San Jacinto, California, survived the first cuts by the Western Hockey League club as the young American continues to impress Royals’ coaches. He should also see action in tonight’s first preseason game in Kamloops against the Blazers.

“He’s done very well,” Royals general manager and head coach Marc Habscheid said of the recruit. “First of all he’s a tremendous kid. I think he wants to be a hockey player, he lives and breathes the game and I think that’s showed out on the ice.”

It certainly opened up some eyes Wednesday night as he scored two of Team Black’s three goals in a 5-3 loss to Team White in the Royals’ intra-squad game.

“He’s probably one of the surprises at the camp and he’s earned it,” said Habscheid, who kept Crunk as one of his remaining 31 players after making cuts Thursday. “He’s big, he’s strong and he has a passion for the game. He takes the puck to the net and he’s intelligent. We want to see him in some exhibition games.”

Which is exactly what the six-foot, 185-pound forward wanted to hear as he and his parents Stephen and Lachelle anxiously awaited news.

“I’m hoping to make it. Last year was more of a learning experience, but this year I’m going for it,” said Crunk, who is in his second training camp with the former Chilliwack Bruins organization.

“It’s a huge jump, especially coming from midget triple-A hockey in California to major junior in Western Canada against all these farm boys,” he added, with a smile. “But I think I’m ready.”

He knows what to expect on the ice, but the biggest challenge may be the actual move from San Jacinto, a town of 60,000 in a valley situated 45 minutes from both Riverside and Palm Springs.

“It would be a bit of a culture shock,” he admitted. “I live, pretty much, in the middle of nowhere in southern California. It’s a little different, nice and moist here compared to the dry heat out there.”

Moist isn’t the word he’ll use to describe any trip north or east, like Prince George or Brandon.

“Yeah, I’ve heard about that, and Regina,” chuckled Crunk.