PDA

View Full Version : Mullins blog...

Ree_21
09-03-2011, 12:48 AM
Just read his recent blog... I like to see the attempt to bring the true reality of the WHL in Swift Currents face. I recently renewed my season tickets after a one year hiatus (it was a big mistake to not renew), and from what I'm reading and seeing from this club it may be a good year to get involved. I'm excited for a few things 1)How good is Soberg? 2)We are tough, hell big, on the current listed roster 8 players near or eclipse the 200 pound mark. And a focus on finishing checks. 3)A new coach or a realization that 2 lines doesn't cut it. I think Lamb learnt his lesson, atleast I hope so? 4) and lastly I have a blast attending the games with my family and friends, always outgoing an all around great atmosphere. The only thing I hate to see is a quiet arena with a see of blue involved (seats i mean). I hate to say it but I think there are a lot of stubborn people out there and I know a few that didn't renew because they didn't like how the team was ran last season. Well guess what? you won't have to worry about it too long if the support isn't there. I;m amazed that a city of 16,000 with surrounding area included of 25,000 population can't support or let alone seat a 2600 arena (or whatever it is?) 10% support of the current community is all we need, to fill that arena. I would like to see 100% but that's extreme wishful thinking.

Bored in Swift Current, hell lets get rid of our movie theater, or 5-6 bars, maybe close all malls down. Those out door rinks, no we don't need anyone to run those. Lets eliminate slo-pitch, soccer, flag football, ball hockey, hell tennis. Imagine Swift with no social or entertainment value at all. Want to make Swift a ghost town fast, thats how?

Know anyone that hasn't renewed, get them involved or find a friend or two to join you for each game. I know at least 4 people who haven't renewed there tickets and I will make it my agenda to have them commit for another season. I hope its the same for anyone else reading this.

Quarter Century Fan
09-03-2011, 01:40 PM
I thought Shawn Mullin was the play-by-play voice of the Broncos. He seems to have put himself in the role of Marketing the team with his last write up. Indeed the Broncos need support, however, if they put a better brand of hockey on the ice I expect the fans will return.

I missed a lot of games last year because I chose to sit on the couch and watch the tube even though I have season tickets. I wonder if there isn't a wait and see attitude waiting for the organization to get their act together and play exciting hockey again.

I think too, Shawn mullin should stick to play-by-play instead of the fear mongering of his last article. :o

gobroncos1986
09-03-2011, 07:19 PM
I hvar been critical of Mullin before but I think he's bang on here it's not fear mongering it's true!! 1200 season tickets? Thats probably not even half a lot of teams. I know I will be at the agm to say my piece on the team but we can't stop buying tickets! It would be awful to let this team slip away.

Has anyone heard how bad the loss is gonna be? I'm worried. We can't just sit back and let it go this way.

Toswammi
09-03-2011, 09:39 PM
I hvar been critical of Mullin before but I think he's bang on here it's not fear mongering it's true!! 1200 season tickets? Thats probably not even half a lot of teams. I know I will be at the agm to say my piece on the team but we can't stop buying tickets! It would be awful to let this team slip away.

Has anyone heard how bad the loss is gonna be? I'm worried. We can't just sit back and let it go this way.

Rumors have it in the six figures.

wombats
09-04-2011, 08:10 AM
A drop of 30% is never a good sign.

As someone who was a season ticket holder for both the London Knights and the Kitchener Rangers, the common belief is that breakeven in the OHL is about 2,500 tickets per game, without playoffs.

The big question is why such a drop. Has the economy tanked in Swift Current that bad? What else has come to town to take the money away? Or has the team with 10 years of only getting past the first round taken its toll?

Hopefully the can get the support back, or they will lose their team.

Ree_21
09-05-2011, 12:26 AM
I believe that the people in Swift have there own reasons for not supporting this club.
1) A losing season hurts, but even the atmosphere at the games seem to lack. For myself, I don't mind losing games but atleast be close and battle 60 minutes each game
2) People in Swift live in a fantasy world where they may think that the team will never leave with or without there support. But if we lose this team they will ask why did they leave? easy response you stopped supporting the club.
3) I hear a few people have issues with the boards decision and who/how the club is ran. So they don't renew.

Remember it is a community team, and the club brings in additional income to restaurants and tourists of all alike. Not to mention that we just recently upgraded the facilities (which o me aren't close to being complete ie: wrap both sections on the west end to the boards)

ointhecreek
09-05-2011, 01:01 PM
for several reasons;
1) getting to expensive for my budget, only went to about 12 games last year and can't justify $525 for that. Use to pay $460 but they are starting to force unwanted tickets on. (international game, 2 playoff tickets before season starts, what will it be next year?)
2) 7 o'clock start time, to early for me, can't go to game that close to supper.
3) Tired of looking throught black netting, why haven't they changed it? They have clear netting on the end that doesn't have seats. Yes, I have complainned to no reply.
4) uninspired soft hockey the last few years, not very exciting to watch. They do look like they might be better this year. I think a lot of fans are taking the wait and see attitude.

I do plan on buying a 12 pack so I can watch and see how things turn out. I would really hate to see them move but the WHL has outgrown Swift and there aren't enough fans that will watch unexciting hockey every year, they have to improve to draw the fans. :soscared:

hotdog-pocket
09-05-2011, 04:37 PM
for several reasons;
1) getting to expensive for my budget, only went to about 12 games last year and can't justify $525 for that. Use to pay $460 but they are starting to force unwanted tickets on. (international game, 2 playoff tickets before season starts, what will it be next year?)
2) 7 o'clock start time, to early for me, can't go to game that close to supper.
3) Tired of looking throught black netting, why haven't they changed it? They have clear netting on the end that doesn't have seats. Yes, I have complainned to no reply.
4) uninspired soft hockey the last few years, not very exciting to watch. They do look like they might be better this year. I think a lot of fans are taking the wait and see attitude.

I do plan on buying a 12 pack so I can watch and see how things turn out. I would really hate to see them move but the WHL has outgrown Swift and there aren't enough fans that will watch unexciting hockey every year, they have to improve to draw the fans. :soscared:

I like how you admit you didn't renew then your sig says what it does....

Broncs in RD
09-06-2011, 10:06 AM
O. I know you support the broncos, but here are a few suggestions. I am not baahing you so don't take it that way.
Buy the fun zone tickets I think they ate in the 300 range, then with all the empty seats move to. Better one.
To take a wait and see approach is not the best thing to do as the team will be gone.
I think this team will be more exciting, but the true reward will be when the 96 draft class are 18 then our team will be great.

ointhecreek
09-06-2011, 06:10 PM
I like how you admit you didn't renew then your sig says what it does....

I am supporting the team in the only way that I can. Buying a 12 pack (tickets) and merchandise etc. 10-15 games a year doesn't justify 525 bucks in my winter budget.

Flathead
09-06-2011, 09:59 PM
I do think the seven o clock start times do hurt the club. I know it's rushed for me to get to a game after work and i live in town! We have to get the out of towners coming if we want this team to survive, and they can't get to a game that starts at 7.

Quarter Century Fan
09-07-2011, 10:07 AM
I agree with 7 PM not being helpful to bring out fans and fill the seats. I live in the city but usually do not get home until 6 PM, then try to eat, shower and get to the game. More often than not I miss part of or the entire first period. Imagine the rush on people from out of town.:dead:

I'm not sure why "O" is getting a hard time about not supporting the team enough. If he is driving in from Maple Creek I think he is quite a committed fan to attend 12-15 games.

Broncs in RD
09-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Just to clear the air I wasn't giving o a hard time. Just thought the 300 dollar package would/could be a option.

ointhecreek
09-08-2011, 12:58 PM
I agree with 7 PM not being helpful to bring out fans and fill the seats. I live in the city but usually do not get home until 6 PM, then try to eat, shower and get to the game. More often than not I miss part of or the entire first period. Imagine the rush on people from out of town.:dead:

I'm not sure why "O" is getting a hard time about not supporting the team enough. If he is driving in from Maple Creek I think he is quite a committed fan to attend 12-15 games.

Not maple, speedy.

Toswammi
09-08-2011, 01:30 PM
In terms of game time it is a catch 22

The earlier times are designed to get young families out but the same time it does alienate some fans. Sadly the only way I can it changing is if there isn't the response from the families or an overwhelming demand to change it.

gobroncos1986
09-08-2011, 03:23 PM
seems like this 7 or 730 debate has gone on forever and no one is ever happy. they should just make it 715!

Toswammi
09-08-2011, 03:56 PM
seems like this 7 or 730 debate has gone on forever and no one is ever happy. they should just make it 715!

Sure why not :)

Or there could be a fifteen minute presentation prior to each game, making puck drop at 7:15 nightly instead of the billed 7:00 starts.

d-man
09-08-2011, 09:13 PM

That's just too logical:rolleyes: