PDA

View Full Version : Gogol hopes to land in Shark Tank

CdnSailor
09-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Brent Gogol played only 44 games for the Victoria Cougars of the Western Hockey League over two seasons, but left a bruising impression with 309 penalty minutes before playing minor pro in the AHL, ECHL and IHL.

His son, Curt Gogol, has also come to Victoria for the WHL with the off-season franchise move of the Chilliwack Bruins to the Island. The younger Gogol describes the B.C. capital as “an unbelievable city.” So local fans should take no offence when he says he wouldn’t mind if he never plays a single regular-season minute with the freshly-named Royals of the WHL.

That’s because the undrafted Gogol, signed as a free agent last year by San Jose, is one of two Royals forwards headed to NHL development camps today and hopes to be placed in the Sharks’ minor-pro system. The other is Buffalo Sabres third-round draft pick Kevin Sundher. Both will be in their second NHL camps with their respective teams.

“You are treated as a pro up there and not as a junior,” said Gogol, of last year’s experience in Sharks camp.

“The level of play up there is so much higher and it’s a big adjustment from junior. This would be a good year for me to step out of junior. I have matured mentally and physically and am ready for the pro lifestyle.”

The move to Victoria may have come too late for this 19-year-old.

“My dad said he hoped I could experience Victoria like he did. But this [franchise move to the capital] happens in the year I could be moving on,” said Gogol.

In three WHL seasons in Kelowna, Saskatoon and Chilliwack, Gogol has nine goals and 32 points. His value is in his physicality.

“San Jose was the most honest with me,” said the six-foot, 180-pounder, about the few other free-agent pro feelers he got.

“I don’t like the enforcer role. The role they [Sharks] envision — a two-way third-line player — is the role I envision for myself.”

Sundher, who had 24 goals and 76 points for Chilliwack last season, will potentially be looked on by the Sabres to provide a lot more offence than Gogol with the Sharks.

“I’m much more confident going in this time than I was last year,” said Sundher, as yet unsigned by Buffalo.

“NHLers are unbelievable players but they are human, too. One day, if this all works out, I hope to take one of their jobs.”

Sundher is more naturally talented than Gogol, but less of a pro-ready player at the moment and the better bet to be returned to the Royals.

“Getting signed [by the Sabres] is the next goal,” said Sundher, 19.

Sundher will play for the Sabres prospects team in a rookie tournament starting Saturday in Travers City, Mich., and Gogol for the Sharks prospects in a similar tournament in Penticton.

Royals defenceman and unsigned sixth-round Carolina draft pick Tyler Stahl is injured and won’t be attending Hurricanes camp.

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/Gogol+hopes+land+Shark+tank/5367802/story.html?cid=megadrop_story