PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Season

Bepoleon
09-11-2011, 07:42 AM
Did anyone check out the game against the Bronco's? Ur thoughts?

- Jack Rodewald might have played himself on the team. 4g in preseason.
- The line of Stevenson, Volek and Klimchuk seemed to be the best Pat line last night. Some good chemistry.
- Stephenson looked good. Dryden Hunt was a good catch by the Pats.
- Our young defenseman looked good. Burroughs and Williams.
- Rieder was really laying the body but took too many penalties.
- Was Schiedl playing? Was unnoticable.
- Borstmayer does not make the team this year. I have Zimbaluk ahead of him on the depth chart and I haven't even seen Peel play this year yet.

We lost the game 5-3 but I saw some bright sides to this years team. Our downfall was a couple bad plays by our defense. Blidstrands early giveaway (Surprise!!!) and Borstmayers bad pinch late in the game.

I don't expect us to win the pennant this year, but I'm a firm believer that GM Lang has this team finally heading in the right direction...

RWAH
09-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Agree with all your thoughts and observations and would add
Sacher did not have a strong game and most goals were not his fault or soft, but I think Beukaboom will get the back-up job. Adam stays square to the puck and looks bigger on the ice.
That was the first time I noticed Zimaluk, I like his size and strong on his skates but I think Peel, Williams and certainly Burroughs are ahead of him. He need to get real physical on the ice. The returns from pro camp will be the factor for his sticking here.
The Klimchuk, Volek, Stevenson line is the best line we've iced this pre-season and it could be togeather for two years.
I noticed that we did not have a PK or PP line up but keep the lines in rotation. We should improve the goals and goals against with our special teams when they are set in #1 & #2 units
My only other thought is: we seem to have strong starts and then try to coast to a victory. That is the same as last year. That will need to be changed. the coaches need to have the players buy in to 60 min. games and I am sure they will get that commitment from the players

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-11-2011, 01:04 PM
missed the game, but I still think its clear there is reason to be optimistic this year. Even if this year inparticular is a stinker, its a step in the right direction with the necessary changes made. Many of the young players look promising, and for once they wont have to go through the Parker and Hunt meat grinder and might actually develop into players giving us depth for once..

Most of this preseason has gone as expected, but the only surprise for me so far seems to be this Rodewald kid. Preseason points dont mean that much but he is at the very least jumping up the depth chart, and is now in the conversation for making the team this year.

...and I know many dont like Borstmayers game, but he is a project that could turn out to be a really good player...and with Bell gone, as well as a young and small defence, we could use his size, skating and reach. However, this year is possibly his last if it doesnt turn out.

As for Reider, he will probably be the new mitchell, so he better start playing harder and grittier. If not, he could be the one moved, as I still think there will be a trade to move a vet to open a spot for a young player or two.

dsquared
09-11-2011, 01:48 PM
How are the Refs paid? Based upon the Bronco game - I think it is per penalty call....

Bepoleon
09-11-2011, 04:21 PM
As for Reider, he will probably be the new mitchell, so he better start playing harder and grittier. If not, he could be the one moved, as I still think there will be a trade to move a vet to open a spot for a young player or two.

Yeah, I was thinking the same, Rieder could be moved and I think Schiedl is in the same boat. Schiedl looked pretty good last season, but so far this year he hasn't been noticeable except for taking penalties. No points this preseason. I dont know if he has improved any from last year, but I can see them wait until Weal is back to see if they can find a little magic.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Id say Scheidl has more time than the first few games in preseason to get going. He was one of our best players in the second half, and we got him for two more years and only for Guhle. I would not worry about him until near the deadline, where hopefully it wont be a problem.

patsdude114
09-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I really like that Zimbaluk kid i had pointed him out to my dad last nite during the 1st & 2nd periods & then during the intermission my nephew was there & said that he buddy was trying out for the Pats & said he is wearing #36 which happens to be Zimbaluk. He is definately worth more then Bortsmayer is he is only 2" smaller (& 8lbs heavier) then Bortsmayer & brings ALOT more to the ice.

Sacher played well last nite made some good saves, seems very calm in the crease & doesnt get caught out of position much at all. Hoban scored 2 goals 1 on a breakaway other on a very nice shot, Hoban will prob be 1 of the best 20yr olds in the East this year. Also Sacher did stop Hoban on a partical breakaway as well with about 6mins left in 3rd.

Klimchuk looked very good last nite, this kid is going to be the real deal. Definately a great building block to build around. Volek really showed off his speed last nite, setup the goal for Klimchuk on the dump in (the refs got the 1st assist wrong, along with alot of other things on both sides)

Burroughs & Williams have been steller. Williams has alot of poise he looked like a season vetern last nite leading the rush a few times, one time in the 3rd i was very impressed with his patience with the puck even when he had to curl back & regroup. Most 16yr olds (& some older guys) panic & just throw the puck around the boards to get rid of it. Williams & Burroughs i would love to see both make this team. Alot is going to be based on what happens with Davidson & Bidlevskii. If they both come back Williams or Zimbaluk both play elsewhere.

For me this is how our depth chart looks on D
Davidson
Underwood
Bidlevskii
Blidstrand
Burroughs
Peel
Williams
Luhning/Zimbaluk
Bortsmayer

Sorry i just find no way in hell Bortsmayer makes this team, experience or not reach & size means nothing when u play as soft as Bortsmayer does. Id rather see a young 16yr old make mistakes then see Bortsmayer out there at all.

I personally feel Peel could be on the move out. We have alot of depth of skating Dmen & Peel could bring in a skilled forward that we need upfront this year. Could see a Peel & Olstad packaged together.

I dont think Jung makes the team either think the odd guys out upfront are Jung, Olstad, Sagen, Hunt altho i really like him but at 16 dont think he makes it due to numbers, I also feel Sagen has what it takes to be a 3rd/4th line guy in the WHL could see him getting traded for a pick.

With players such as Rodewald, Volek & Elynuik (thur trade) there is a vetern or 2 who will not have a job. Especially if u get Mitchell back (which isnt in our favour but could still happen) We finally have some depth in our organization who can take a veterns spot, this is definately a good thing to have & will make us better for it.

RWAH
09-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Brandon game:
The pats game was really up tempo. I know that is not the Brandon rooster that will start the season but our rooster should get stronger as well. I like that we have no set PK or PP unit just keep rotating the lines so we can stay on the aggressive for-check. There is no juggling of lines, only short shifts and hard at the puck.

I thought Hunt was weak this game. His skating lacks and as a result did not win any races for the puck and got manhandled off the puck.

I did not watch the D much, any thoughts on the weakest player there

Volek, Klimchuk and Stevenson line is a treat to watch, it will be exciting all year.

What a change a change in the coach makes. From dull, hang back let the other team advance the puck and often scored style to hard on the puck, in their face, take no prisoners for-check. A joy to be in the stands.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-15-2011, 12:12 AM
This game went as expected, if you ask me. The pats are closer to determining their roster than Brandon is, and as well they are short handed many top players. Nonetheless, I saw alot of good things, and actually despite all the 'special teams', was worth watching.

Right away, I was really impressed with Volek. If he can be consistent, he really does deserve top 6 minutes. Not as flashy as most euros, but agile and has good puck skills for his age. As for Peel, he has PP QB written all over him.

Klimchuk and Burroughs came as advertised, and both should make the team...and Rodewald has certainly come a long way from last year.

I actually thought Hunt was allright. Didnt get any points, but hes active with the stick, a smart player and appears to have good offensive potential, but I think being a '95, he could benefit from a year in junior A or something, especially with the log jam of quality young players.

Not that he has disappointed or anything... before camp rolled around, I had him making the team. There is just a high number of quality young players this year(as well as the addition of Volek and emergence of Rodewald, who before camp I didnt expect to see him through early cuts), and its to the point that I could see a veteran or two shipped out to make room. Williams is kind of in the same boat, he looks good enough to play in this league but likely will also be reassigned due to the numbers game.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-15-2011, 12:22 AM
And youre right about the coaching change. You can tell by reading the recent leaderpost article that the players seem happy about the change in systems, as indicated by some surprisingly undercutting and dismissive quotes in reference to last year's systems, which in itself confirms that the fans were not the only ones fed up.

Hopefully we can get everybody on the same page, and buying in to the new program, and we might be pleasantly surprised by this team, or at the very least excited for it's potential.

Joe Hallenback
09-15-2011, 07:03 AM
The Pats finally playing an up tempo game after all these years. You would think after watching the Wheaties thump them game after game doing just that they would get that.

Klimchuk sounds like he is going to be a star

patsdude114
09-15-2011, 04:55 PM
The Pats finally playing an up tempo game after all these years. You would think after watching the Wheaties thump them game after game doing just that they would get that.

The fans always wanted this but our so called guys in charge of the hockey operation of things didnt get it.

Klimchuk sounds like he is going to be a star

Klimchuk is definately the real deal, it wouldnt surprise me at all if he gets 20 goals this year. Especially if he gets ice time with Weal. After watching the preseason games ( & yes knowing other teams r missing there top guys as well) i truely feel the Pats will not be as bad as most are saying.

Klimchuk reminds me alot of Garth Murray, maybe not as tough (has yet to be determined) but he plays that power game & prob has a better release & speed of Murray... i cant think of anyone else in the past 10 yrs or so who we could compare him too other then Murray & possibly Leffler (just Klimchuk seems to have his head more focused on hockey then Leffler ever did)