PDA

View Full Version : Soberg returns to Norway

Offsider
09-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Bad news for Broncos and the Fans Goaltender Steffen Soberg has went back to Norway Homesick .
It is unknown if he will return and understandable that an 18 year old moving so far from home for the first time might not be able to handle the change .
I hope some time at home with Family and Friends will help him see the opportunity he has I was really looking forward to watching him play

trucker
09-11-2011, 09:28 PM
This sucks. Bad news. Goaltending is now a huge concern here. If he doesn't get back here, a trade for a legit tender is inevitable! Can't believe this! Total shocker! Any other word on him besides being homesick?

Toswammi
09-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Well this buts a serious damper on the seasonal outlook.

scbfan
09-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Please tell me your kidding! No offence to Austin Smith or Steven Mayland but we need a serious goaltender here in Swift! Yes I have been impressed with Smith so far in the preseason but the poor kid saw very limited ice time last year and to be put in the position of holding the helm for this team is unfair! Let's hope he comes back!!!!!!!!! Either way good luck Bronco's!

Tamal_SC
09-12-2011, 10:07 AM
I too am really hoping this is just a short term problem. The fact that he is missing the Capitals' camp as well leads me to believe that maybe there is more that just homesickness back in Norway. Hopefully he is able to get things straightened out quickly and can come back and show us what he can do....otherwise I concur that a trade for a legit starter is definitely in order. Smith and Myland I think are definitely WHL caliber tenders, just not ready to carry this team yet.

Toswammi
09-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't trade for a tender at this time, just because the price isn't worth the upgrade that you may (or may not get). It is no secret that the cost to trade for a non 20 yr old tender that can start is huge, I would rather ride it out with the current guys considering we will be in tough in any event.

scbfan
09-12-2011, 01:36 PM
The article in on Swift Current Booster online has Mark sounding like it doesn't look possative on his return as he is saying if they need to go get another goalie they will. But definately must be more that home sick. Too bad was really looking forward to see what he could do.

Toswammi
09-12-2011, 01:45 PM
According to someone in Washington, they still expect him to show up in North America.

chalk_one_up
09-12-2011, 07:56 PM
There's two in Kelowna, two in Everett and Brandon Anderson available.

Scout
09-13-2011, 02:40 AM
Posted on September 12, 2011 by shawnmullin

I got further clarification of the Steffen Soberg situation today after an interview with Broncos Coach/GM Mark Lamb and an article from the Washington Times. It sounds like the spokesman for the Capitals made a mistake yesterday when they said Soberg was in Norway contemplating whether to play in Europe or North America. Coach Lamb makes it crystal clear the young goaltender’s absence has nothing to do with hockey or even being homesick.

It appears clear from both Lamb and Capitals goaltender coach Dave Prior that assuming Soberg is able to clear up his personal issues the plan is for him to return to Swift Current this season. There is no timetable for that and when it comes to personal matters there shouldn’t be. It will take as long as it takes.

Lamb also says Soberg can’t play anywhere else as his rights belong to them this season.

As far as I’m concerned that is the last word on the issue unless the story changes. The young man deserves as much time as he needs to take care of whatever it is that he needs to take care of it. Hockey will be waiting for him when he’s ready. The Broncos will have to move forward for now with Austin Smith, Steven Myland and an eye to other options if they aren’t able to carry the load. We all hope Soberg will be back because from everything we hear and see it will be a treat to watch him. It sounds like he will return. It’s just a matter of when.

So that is where we stand. The Broncos are not being abandoned here but a player who decided he just didn’t like the city. It is hopefully a temporary disruption of Soberg’s playing career and as such a big opportunity for Smith and Myland to have more time to establish themselves.

Has Smith taken a major leap? His save percentage is 0.935% in the pre-season so far. It’s hard to imagine him keeping up that pace. If he ends up even close to that we’re talking about a legit starter.

Is Myland adjusting to the WHL level? He was the top goalie in his league last year. The 17-year-old says he is getting more comfortable every time he gets out there against WHL level competition. He looked quite good in the final 40 minutes against Regina.

Only time will tell.

By the time Soberg returns hopefully one of them has established themselves as a reliable starter if not both. It could give the Broncos some serious strength between the pipes that would have come as a result of some extra development for guys who were going to be battling for the back-up spot otherwise.

After yesterday’s concerning news that Steffen Soberg had returned to Norway rather than attend Washington Capitals camp, it looks like there may be some light at the end of the tunnel. As I said on this blog yesterday it struck me that missing Capitals camp indicated whatever the personal issues were that Soberg was dealing with were bigger than being homesick. Again that is just speculation on my part. However, if he was just unhappy in Swift Current wouldn’t he go to Capitals camp and then return home?

The Broncos somewhat confirmed that by saying that he left for personal reasons and that they hoped he would return. I don’t expect them or anyone else to expand on that. The Booster did get a few quotes from Coach Lamb to again confirm it’s not a problem with playing in Swift Current.

Now some good news from Washington Times reporter Stephen Whyno on twitter:

For the record Whyno was talking to Capitals goaltender coach Dave Prior. He indicated there would be more details in an article later today. If there is Soberg related info there I will be sure to pass it on.

The quote from the Capitals spokesman yesterday was not comforting, but Prior seems to have calmed those waters a little bit. It seems like there is still a good chance that once Soberg is ready to play it will be in a Bronco jersey. It is still a “wait and see” situation though. I think that fits with what the Broncos were saying as well.

All the best to Soberg and we hope to see him back here soon. I’ll have any more updates as we get them. Watch my twitter for links to articles and video of Broncos and former Broncos at NHL camp as well.

scbfan
09-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Well all the best to Soberg and I for one wish him the ability to straighten up whatever it is that he is dealing with.It's hard to sometimes forget that there is more to life than hockey. As a fan I was looking forward to seeing what he could do and hoped he could be a game stealer that he was touted as. Not since Moir and Yonkman have we had a solid stater that could steal a game on a consistant basis( Friesen did well but a journeyman tender).Austin Smith has shown signs that he is willing and wanting to make the next step and I applaud him for that, because coming from the lack of playing time he had last season it will be a whole new situation this year with the recent turn of events. I'm excited to see what the team can do this year, I'm a realist and know that we aren't going to be the terror of the league but I don't believe we are going to be the basement feeders either.I'm excited to see who takes the helm and leads this team to better things to come. GO BRONCO'S GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rocketsfan
09-13-2011, 01:18 PM
There's two in Kelowna, two in Everett and Brandon Anderson available.

Two goalies in Kelowna available? Who are these two goalies that you speak of?
Brown and Cooke will be our tandem this year and I believe Cooke and Spence will be our tandem next year.

On a relative note, too bad about Soberg. I see Anderson going to the Broncos to replace him.

2,5,andagame
09-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Steffen Söberg.
Wednesday, September 14 20:21
"I just do not want to be there"
Söberg denies that he has personal problems
When the Norwegian goalkeeper Steffen Søberg left WHL Club Swift Current Broncos and the NHL, said the team's coach that this was because of personal problems and that he hoped that the Norwegians would soon return. It denies the now 18-year-old.
- That I have personal problems are very exaggerated. The only reason I went from there is that I do not want to be there, says Söberg to dagbladet.no.

The Norwegian goalkeeper promise was in the Norwegian Get Ligaen for the parent club Manglerud Star last year. He also impressed greatly for Norway in the JVM and was highly topical for Färjestads J20-law until he went over to North America. When he chose to make the leap across the Atlantic, however, filled the VPK on record with the Swiss Luca Boltshauser and now is the question where to go next.
- Right now I do not know where I end up more than that I do not want to go back. I do not feel ready to move that far yet and I have also told the club. Deep down quite understand also the coach that I did not come back.

It now remains to see what the next step in this goalie soup. Will it be so that Söberg eventually return anyway, or are now the club simply focus on the new goalie abilities?

Ola Winther
ola.winther @ hockeysverige.se

Google translate of the article Mullin posted to twitter.

Toswammi
09-14-2011, 06:10 PM
I read that earlier. Hopefully that isn't he full story and does come.

Maybe I am being jaded, but in a year where there should be optimism there is a lot of down news from the Bronco camp.

Hopefully Smith or Mayland are ready to carry load for us. If not; does Leth need a vet d-man?

Tamal_SC
09-15-2011, 07:09 AM
I read that earlier. Hopefully that isn't he full story and does come.

Maybe I am being jaded, but in a year where there should be optimism there is a lot of down news from the Bronco camp.

Hopefully Smith or Mayland are ready to carry load for us. If not; does Leth need a vet d-man?

I truly hope this is a lost in translation thing as well. Right now "we" the fans have no way of knowing for sure.

I still think that there is a ton of optimism for the team this year, still have 3 drafted players, Howorko on the watch list and lots of skill and talent in our prospects, but if we lose this goalie for whatever reason I think a bigger move than just Anderson from Lethbridge will be needed. I get the feeling the team want to push for a title next season so we will need a standout goalie. Maybe we will have to trade one of our solid 93's and a serious prospect and/or picks but we will need to land a VERY good goalie to make a push over the next couple of years.

Again, I hope that Soberg does come back, but if not there will be some really big decisions for our GM and staff.

scbfan
09-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Well weather it is lost in translation or it is true that he doesn't want to be here it doesn't really matter! He isn't here and he didn't go to Capitals camp either! One more story of quality import goalie we have the rights to that isn't here. Now forget Orti and Soberg and move forward, Smith and Mayland are our tenders and I hope they can handle the load.As for quality tenders that are available is another question, I hope we don't need to try and find one because I think the cost would be too much and really what is available? In my perfect scenario , Smith shows everyone what he's got and is the tender we all secretly have been wanting. Either way GO BRONCO'S GO , bring on the regular season!!!!! Woooooo Waaaaaaa

Tamal_SC
09-15-2011, 11:28 AM
More bad news...here is a link to ANOTHER interview of Soberg saying he isn't coming back (found on Shawn Mullin's Twitter feed):
http://hockeyramblings.wordpress.com/2011/09/15/the-steffen-soberg-situation/

To my previous comments on needing a very good goalie in place of Soberg, just going to throw this out there....any chance of swinging a deal with Seattle for Pickard?? I have heard he isn't really happy there and is definitely the quality we need to make a run in the next two years?

Thoughts???....

Toswammi
09-15-2011, 12:05 PM
More bad news...here is a link to ANOTHER interview of Soberg saying he isn't coming back (found on Shawn Mullin's Twitter feed):
http://hockeyramblings.wordpress.com/2011/09/15/the-steffen-soberg-situation/

To my previous comments on needing a very good goalie in place of Soberg, just going to throw this out there....any chance of swinging a deal with Seattle for Pickard?? I have heard he isn't really happy there and is definitely the quality we need to make a run in the next two years?

Thoughts???....
We are in to position to pay through the nose to get a goalie like Pickard.

Toswammi
09-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Here is my question however.

Granted I know nothing about this specific topic, but from what I understand he is playing in SC or bust this season. If he doesn't want to play here, could the team sell his rights to the highest bidder? If so, they may be able to get some financial gain out of this.

SectionNDeserter
09-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Given his current situation, one would have to think that his trade value is less than nothing.

Tamal_SC
09-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Given his current situation, one would have to think that his trade value is less than nothing.

I agree, but I wonder if we could negotiate with a Euro club to buy his release from us? I think that is what Toswammi was getting at...

Toswammi
09-15-2011, 02:27 PM
I agree, but I wonder if we could negotiate with a Euro club to buy his release from us? I think that is what Toswammi was getting at...

Yeah, sell him to the highest bidder in Sweden/Europe (if that is how it works, and he isn't coming here at any point).

Quarter Century Fan
09-15-2011, 02:55 PM
I have a feeling there are rules against selling his rights... I don't think you can bribe players with cash rewards to come to play for your team either? I wonder if some teams have found a way around that??

It's a shame but if he doesn't want to be here we are better off without him. He would likely only be affecting the team in a negative way with a poor sulking attitude anyway.

FIVE FOR FIGHTING
09-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Who's gonna put pucks in for us and who's gonna stop them at the other end. I hate to start off on a negative note but this could be a very long season.

Toswammi
09-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Who's gonna put pucks in for us and who's gonna stop them at the other end. I hate to start off on a negative note but this could be a very long season.

For Sc to win, need to play a grind it out 3-2 style of game, and try to win the battles on the boards. It may not be pretty, but teams have won with less in the past.

I am on the bandwagon of wait to see what we got first, but there are still signs of a decent team here. Not a championship team, but not necessarly a bottom dweller either.

FIVE FOR FIGHTING
09-15-2011, 11:26 PM
The small amount that I have seen so far leads me to believe they will be hard working which makes me more optimistic than I was before camp started. However, I think we will be in a fight for a playoff spot.

trucker
09-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Don't think Washington would want a draft pick to sit out the season, but that's what I say to do with Soberg, if indeed we do own his rights. There is no next year with him here in my opinion! Talk about getting burnt by a player!! He doesn't want to be here this year, then I have no reason to want him here ever again!! Players that commit and don't follow thru are cowards. He is as welcome here as the Regina Pats. Forget you Soberg. Take your spoiled attitude back to your homeland and we'll take you down at world jr.'s in December. Thanks for taking us all for fools. Good ridance!!..friggen bumb!!:clap:

Toswammi
12-16-2011, 09:20 PM
I have started hearing some rumors about Soberg returning after Christmas (world juniors). Sorry to disappoint however started that one as two things are wrong with that rumor that I have found.

1. norway is playing in the Division 1 U20 tournament in Germany, not in Alberta.
2. Soberg isnt even on the roster according to the iihf website (there is no record of him even playing a game anywhere this year).

Just dont see it happening.

Flathead
12-18-2011, 09:23 AM
I have started hearing some rumors about Soberg returning after Christmas (world juniors). Sorry to disappoint however started that one as two things are wrong with that rumor that I have found.

1. norway is playing in the Division 1 U20 tournament in Germany, not in Alberta.
2. Soberg isnt even on the roster according to the iihf website (there is no record of him even playing a game anywhere this year).

Just dont see it happening.

I have heard the same rumors, even heard that we were going to bring his mom or dad to come here and live with him.

Toswammi
12-18-2011, 11:19 AM
I have heard the same rumors, even heard that we were going to bring his mom or dad to come here and live with him.

Apparently the rumor goes the Washington Capitals are moving his parents here. Still seems rather far fetched.

SectionNDeserter
12-18-2011, 12:55 PM
I have started hearing some rumors about Soberg returning after Christmas (world juniors). Sorry to disappoint however started that one as two things are wrong with that rumor that I have found.Another thing to consider, is how well is this guy going to be received by the rest of the team? He is the guy that bailed on them early on, and pretty much forced the team to trade their teammate Peddle so that they could keep their head above water.