PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Coverage.

GBG BLEED BLUE
09-13-2011, 12:03 AM
I was looking at other WHL team websites and they have player interveiws and training camp videos on the respective team(s) website and all I can find on the Blades website is 3 or 4 videos of checking in with players and preseason game highlites and nothing really about training camp except write ups with who was cut etc.

Just something that was on my mind.

lostsheep
09-13-2011, 07:48 AM
There is a large lack of coverage for our team, and its not just the website. Its been a problem for a number of years, and it starts with the cities attitude toward the team. If there was more people sending letters to the editors of your local papers, and more pressure to provide such information eventualy it would appear. the fans should be asking the team for a bit more info as well. i would like to see some coverage on our players at the NHL camps, and tid bits on who in the scouts minds are the net up start players.

lordstanley
09-13-2011, 09:09 AM
There is a large lack of coverage for our team, and its not just the website. Its been a problem for a number of years, and it starts with the cities attitude toward the team. If there was more people sending letters to the editors of your local papers, and more pressure to provide such information eventualy it would appear. the fans should be asking the team for a bit more info as well. i would like to see some coverage on our players at the NHL camps, and tid bits on who in the scouts minds are the net up start players.

You know what this is by far a Football town that comes first before anything did you hear the Huskies had 7,000 out for there game last Friday ? just amazing

Ive been watching Global Sports and CTV Sports for the past week and Blades have barrely been brought up, i watch last night on Global and they are still talking about the Huskie game recap wich was 3 days ago, and new segments called in the huddle with the Huskies i'm so sick of Football being covered like this it's nuts already.

The Riders are always talked about thats a no Brainer then after that if they have time on there 8 minute sportscast they will talk about the Hiltops wich i might add is terrible football and they get maybe 500 fans per game such a joke smarten up saskatoon smarten up !!!

hotdog-pocket
09-13-2011, 09:15 AM
I have to disagree (about the team sites).

I'm not sure which other team websites you are looking at but many of them don't have a ton of coverage about camp in regards to videos etc. You look at a site like MJ's and they haven't updated their videos in almost two weeks. They don't have highlights of any recent games.

Seattle hasn't added a video since June 17th.

Swift Current has no game highlights and no new videos in over two weeks.

Red Deer has some game highlights, like the Blades, and no interesting video features that are any better than the Blades stuff.

Brandon has no new video since the START of August when Clouston was hired.

All the sites keep up to date with game recaps and who's away at camp stories....but nobody does much to set themselves a part from anyone.

The Blades site is just as good as any currently. I'm not sure if you are just trying to do this to gain followers on your blog or what, but clearly you aren't very educated while throwing the Blades site under the bus.

hotdog-pocket
09-13-2011, 09:20 AM
As for other local media, I agree that places like CTV and Global could use more coverage. This time of year is hard though as it's still exhibition and the team has like a week between games. Football is simply the easiest thing to talk about.

For print, I think the Star Phoenix does a good job with a Blades story atleast 3-4 times a week.

Here's a new one today.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Prospects+look+sharp+Blades/5391902/story.html

Trav
09-13-2011, 10:07 AM
The Blades website isn't to bad and the Star Phoenix's coverage isn't bad either but I will say both could maybe do more.

lordstanley
09-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Well even when Hockey is fully underway Football comes first before Hockey this is a University sports town by far funny how that works, this wasn't the case probably 7 or 8 years ago then it was more Blades talk but with less fans going to games this city makes me scratch my head alot !

lordstanley
09-13-2011, 10:12 AM
For the record i think the Blades website is 1 of the better ones in the league

wango tango
09-13-2011, 02:24 PM
cancelled my paper subscription a while back. with all the cuts that have happened, i'm guessing coverage in there is going to be getting worse. lots of u of s grads who stick their noses up in this town. and outside of football their programs don't get near the support they should from those same grads.

the blades do a pretty good job on their site. they have one of the better ones in the whl.

lostsheep
09-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Attendence, and media coverage are two subjects that really raise the blood pressure for me. Our web sight is good but could be better, i know summer is a rest time but there could have been more this summer, but over all a good job. Maybe a bit of news or up dates on past and present players. Its a bit off topic but wasnt part of the new CUC contract contingent on 6000/game average? Its a tough job but promoting the team is very important. Our teams media people should be pushing the teams image everwhere. I dont live in town but when in town i dont see any billboards, or signs pushing our team. If all you seen was the Blades logo around town ( like the oilers in Edmonton ) there might be more people decide to come check it out. The FREE ( for donation ) preseason game was a great idea. It gets new faces out, poeple who might not be there otherwise. If i cant get to a game i always try to fill my seats, with people who dont normaly go to see if maybe they can get the fever too! Any how, The public media needs to improve, the sooner the better.