PDA

View Full Version : WHL fights mean they won't be back

pontcanna
09-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Every season there's at least one letter to the editor like this. I wonder how Mr. Gill would have coped in the heyday of the Broad Street Bullies and Slapshot?

WHL fights mean they won't be back

TIMES COLONIST SEPTEMBER 20, 2011

My wife and I attended the exhibition game between the Victoria Royals and Kelowna Rockets at the Save-on Foods Memorial Centre. It was the first hockey game either of us had attended in years, and it will be the last.

We were impressed with the obvious skills of the players, and the action itself was entertaining. But the vicious scrapping between players is not something one sees in other sports, where the players seem to have the discipline to control their adrenalin and teenage testosterone. These players seemed to be choosing their fights strategically, both to gain an advantage and to entertain the crowd, who to our dismay responded positively to the violence. When one altercation, helmets and gloves off, between a Victoria and a Kelowna player ended with the fellow from Kelowna being knocked to the ice, the crowd reacted with a deafening roar of approval. Never mind who was the aggressor, and whether the guy had it coming.

We are not going to sit and watch displays of bloodlust among 5,300 rowdy fans, many of them children.

Robert Gill, Victoria

nivek_wahs
09-20-2011, 03:01 PM
It was the first hockey game either of us had attended in years, and it will be the last.Wow. I have a couple of questions for Mr. Gill: What year did he attend his last hockey game? What level of hockey was his last game?

CdnSailor
09-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Very interesting to say the least. I am amazed that they thought the crowd would say boooooo to the fight. I guess he never watches hockey on tv