PDA

View Full Version : Winning start at home for Royals

CdnSailor
09-25-2011, 08:42 AM
The Western Hockey League’s long journey home culminated Saturday night with its first regular-season game on Blanshard Street in 17 years.

With it came the most important first in a season of firsts for the Victoria Royals — the initial victory.

The Royals defeated the Vancouver Giants 5-3 before a rapturous capacity crowd of 7,006 at Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre to avenge Friday’s 5-2 loss against the Giants in Vancouver that opened the season.

The pre-game electricity — from Canuck anthem singer Mark Donnelly’s stirring audience-participation rendition of O Canada to Kevin Sundher taking the first face-off at home by a Victoria WHL player in nearly two decades — was palpable.

“I’ve played and coached in a lot of decent events, but when that anthem singer came out and the crowd reacted, it was the first time I’ve gotten shivers down my spine,” said Royals GM and head coach Marc Habscheid.

“It was quite something to be a part of. I’m happy for the city, but most of all I’m happy for our players. This weekend was a unique situation [Royals debut] and I couldn’t wait to get these first two games over with. I would have taken a split

any day.”

The lid almost came off the building when Jamie Crooks scored the first home goal ever for the Royals just 3:09 into the game.

The key to the landmark win, however, was goaltender Keith Hamilton and his 48 saves as Vancouver outshot Victoria 51-25

“He [Hamilton] saved our butts a few times,” said Victoria captain Hayden Rintoul.

“I doesn’t matter how it’s done, getting the two points is the main thing. It feels great to get the first win. There were lots of fans here and they were really into it and we wanted to show them a good game. The [atmosphere] gave me shivers.”

Goals by Crooks and Robin Soudek, the latter on the power play, spotted Victoria a 2-1 first-period lead despite being outshot 22-9.

Goals by Logan Nelson and Brandon Magee, the latter on the odd-man, made it 4-1 before the second period was four minutes old. Victoria scored on half its four shots in that period. Hamilton held down the fort at the other end as the middle frame ended with the Giants holding a whopping 38-13 shots advantage.

“A lot of us guys haven’t played in an atmosphere like this before,” said the American Nelson, a tough USHL Junior ‘A’ recruit.

Nathan Burns and Dalton Sward brought Vancouver to within one in the edgy third period before Sundher’s empty-netter at 19:46 clinched it for the Royals as Victoria by the Kinks — the traditional victory song during the pro Salmon Kings era — rang out on the PA for the first time in the new WHL epoch on Blanshard.

cdheensaw@timescolonist.com

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/Winning+start+home+Royals/5455014/story.html#ixzz1YyXaPwgS

the Royal Flush
09-25-2011, 10:08 AM
It was a wonderful moment!

50sWHLer
09-26-2011, 05:28 PM
The 'MAGIC WORD' here is 'WAS' !!! ----Glad you 'enjoyed the moment' , Flush !! I guarantee that you'll NOT see another 'Sell Out' this regular season ----( Really wasn't Sold Out anyway-- Giveaway/comps filled the arena -- even some single seats remained after the first drop of the Puck !!) -- Lots of MT seats visible in the 2nd & 3rd.

So, if there's really 3,000 STH , lets just wait and see what the 'Walk Up' will be --- I'll bet NOT 1,000 per game ( average) for the projected attendance average talked about.

the Royal Flush
09-26-2011, 06:28 PM
The 'MAGIC WORD' here is 'WAS' !!! ----Glad you 'enjoyed the moment' , Flush !! I guarantee that you'll NOT see another 'Sell Out' this regular season ----( Really wasn't Sold Out anyway-- Giveaway/comps filled the arena -- even some single seats remained after the first drop of the Puck !!) -- Lots of MT seats visible in the 2nd & 3rd.

So, if there's really 3,000 STH , lets just wait and see what the 'Walk Up' will be --- I'll bet NOT 1,000 per game ( average) for the projected attendance average talked about.

Did you forget the meds again? Try a bubble pack.

pontcanna
09-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Really wasn't Sold Out anyway-- Giveaway/comps filled the arena -- even some single seats remained after the first drop of the Puck !!) -- Lots of MT seats visible in the 2nd & 3rd.
You need to bear in mind that a ton of people would have paid to come on game night but gave up on Tuesday (when the sellout was announced). So they stayed home and probably watched on Shaw. A sellout by any definition.