PDA

View Full Version : Goaltending

Flathead
09-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Plain and simple we need a goalie! The boys played good and hard tonight and with any goaltending we could have won. I think we need to drop Hoban and Wagner and get a twenty year old goalie, I'm sure there are a few out there looking for a team to play on. What does everyone else think about our goaltending situation?

friendlygaint
09-28-2011, 11:15 PM
yes that would be great but then lamb would only play the 20 year old and then next year we will be in the same boat.

trucker
09-29-2011, 03:30 AM
A much better effort against Brandon! Myland let in a couple he probably shouldn't have, but he is a rookie. I agree we need something better between the pipes, just not sure how to make that trade work. Sounds like Wagner has knee problems again unfortunately, meaning that injury might just settle the 20 year old situation. May want to use Smith as trade bait and hold on to Myland.

Toswammi
09-29-2011, 07:59 AM
I don't know exactly what is all out there, but Sask, Leth, Cal and Edm all have 20 yr old tenders that don't serve as a huge improvement. If goaltending is to be addressed I think that Everett is an interesting option.

Brandon
09-29-2011, 08:51 AM
You are more than welcome to have Snider out of Calgary from this fans perspective. I would think a bag of pucks and a water bottle would be a bit high of a price for you to pay but reasonable enough.

Maybe its time to hold on to the rookie and get an 18 year old who can split games with him instead of play ahead of him. Build a team up, I just am not sure I would look at the Bronco's contending a whole lot more than the Hitmen and sometimes you have to take that chance to give your young players a growth opportunity. Unfortunately Calgary is loaded with 19 year olds who will do them no good next year so they aren't really building up, but we do have 4 or 5 very good 15 year old who will be ready to compete and boost the team in the next few years.

scbfan
09-29-2011, 09:05 AM
Last night you could see the inexperience that Mayland has ,but he also showed some signs that he might end up okay.He was visually upset with himself more than once. Those kinds of things show that he actually gives a crap. He definately needs more time and I think he will end up a decent goalie in years to come.As for today we need a tender that can carry the load and also help Mayland in his development. Austin Smith was hung to dry last year and isn't ready to be a legitimate starter this year. It is only 3 games into the season so I don't think we should hit the panic button just yet but i would be looking around and making some phone calls to keep options open. Nothing worse on a goalies confidence then after 3 ames in bringing in another goalie into the fold, screams that the team has no faith and can be a career crippler on a young player. Congrats to Taylor Vause and his hat trick last night on his birthday! GO BRONCOS GO

Tamal_SC
09-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Unfortunately I was not able to be at the game last night, but it sounds like we are getting exactly what we were expecting from our goaltending so far....post "Soberg Fiasco" anyways. I agree that bringing in another goalie would be the wrong move, look what it did to Tendler and Smith last year. But I do think we need a legit 18 or 19 year old tender that can split duties with Myland. If that happens then Smith has got to go. No more of this three goalie stuff IMO. I think Myland could be the guy to go to with a couple years of growing with another solid tender. Hopefully we can keep scoring like last night until the goal tending situation straightens itself out a bit.

ol' skool
09-29-2011, 08:38 PM
I thought Myland showed some good things in camp and with 15 or 20 starts this year I think could be a decent goalie in the future. I would like to see us go get a veteran to mentor him and set him up to mentor Bow in the future because from what I saw of him in camp I think he could be our goalie of the future.

Toswammi
10-01-2011, 08:43 PM
This team needs a save or two. We a got a good team IMO, but our tending is failing us right now.

JMoney1988
10-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Maybe we can trade you morrison, oh wait he would probably suck too, he had a ****ty game tonight......

Toswammi
10-01-2011, 09:29 PM
26 ga in 5 games....nothing more needs to be said.

zamboni_driver
10-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Well I have to disagree with the problem being goaltending. I admit it wouldn't hurt to find someone else. I made it to last nights game and I think the bigger problem is our D-men. IMO we maybe have one or two decent d-men. The rest might as well be benched or traded. I counted three maybe four of the six goals to be the fault of our defence (seventh was EN). Evans got caught at centre ice, and lost his stick trying to recover which basically ended up in a short-handed situation. Scarlett got beat three times which resulted in another two goals. I honestly don't see the big hoo-haw over this guy. I think he is highly over-rated.
So what does Lamb do, he yanks Smith after I think it was the fourth goal and puts in Myland (which didn't make much difference). Let me tell you Smith (and Myland) was left high and dry by his D on a number of occasions. Not only that he benches Evans for the rest of the game who makes a mistake and Scarlett who makes at least three that I could see ends up with more ice time. You can definitely see that Lamb has 8-10 guys that are his "guys" and no matter how many mistakes they make in a game he rewards them with more ice time. Those that aren't on his favorite list make one mistake in a game and are benched for the rest. I am not defending Evans, but if you are going to penalize one player for bad play, you better do it for all players.
I just don't see how coaching like that builds morale among a team, not to mention respect between players.
The last thing I noticed about the team was on the power play. These guys have to be able to pass better. It was like watching the powerplay in slow motion replay. If you want to score more you have to keep the opposition moving to get them out of position. They took way too much time between passes and gave the MJ defence plenty of time to set up.
IMO the Broncos should have won that game last night. MJ played just as crappy and could have been beat easily. Some MJ fans were on their team all through the game. 26 GA in 5 games. I would be curious to know how many were ones the goalies should have had.

jersey
10-02-2011, 06:07 PM
agree with zamboni's comments......... 8-10 of lamb favorites can do no wrong. Aren't the broncos on the same path as last year??? or is it just deja vu?????

something has to change with the coaching and soon!!!! Last place is becomming a norm for the broncos!!!!!!

Flathead
10-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Lamb has this team heading in the right direction. We have a good team, and the future looks brilliant. We just need some better goaltending right now.

Toswammi
10-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Lamb has this team heading in the right direction. We have a good team, and the future looks brilliant. We just need some better goaltending right now.

I feel tue same way actually.

Last year sucked because we weren't suppost to be that bad. Really we are were we are supposed to be (according to the "experts"). But there are far more positives hen negatives about this team. We just need a guy that can make the "big save", hopefully that guy is already in he dressing room but if he isn't we need to find him.

Bottom line this team isn't that bad.

lordstanley
10-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Isn't it really to early to say if your team is good or bad ? man i can't even get a good read on the Blades yet i'm sure by the end of this month i will get a good idea but 4 games in no way lol

Toswammi
10-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Isn't it really to early to say if your team is good or bad ? man i can't even get a good read on the Blades yet i'm sure by the end of this month i will get a good idea but 4 games in no way lol

In the grand scheme of things, yes it is early to truely tell how good they are. However when you consider that the general opinion amongst the fans, experts, etc was that this team would easily be one of the worst teams in the league, what I am seeing is this team isn't as bad as everyone made them out to be (hence the comment, we really aren't that bad).

lordstanley
10-03-2011, 10:06 AM
In the grand scheme of things, yes it is early to truely tell how good they are. However when you consider that the general opinion amongst the fans, experts, etc was that this team would easily be one of the worst teams in the league, what I am seeing is this team isn't as bad as everyone made them out to be (hence the comment, we really aren't that bad).

Looks like the East division may have alot more parody than recent years thats gonna make for some great Hockey :D

scbfan
10-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Saturday night in Moose Jaw was a combination of things! Reese Scarlet had a BAD game, plain and simple. Richard Nedomlel, whom I am a fan of doesn't seem to be playing with the edge he did last year. Probably due to the fact he is being thrust into a key role and has had mentioned about ill gotten penalties.Austin Smith looks as though he is defeated before the first shot is even taken and is slow on reaction( lack of experience plays a part).Myland is just plain inexperienced, I seriously feel we have a prospect there that may well turn out to be a diamond in the rough (it just takes time and tutoring).Dalton Ruem I love the edge he is playing with this year, yes his pinching ways will get him caught in a bad spot but dam right now it is actually exciting to watch. Coda Gordon is playing more like a 19 year old than a 17 year old and is a joy to watch. He seems to be coming in under every teams radar and making things happen. Time will tell when teams figure out who he is.Vause,Peddle,Lowry are just what I expected and happy to watch play. Adam uses his reach a ton, still a little slow on the foot speed. I still feel we need a veteran goalie here to help Myland develope and a little more help with the scoring department . But that's my opinion and it don't mean squat! LOL we win we win, we lose we lose either way I'm still a fan GO BRONCO'S GO!

sbtatter
10-03-2011, 02:03 PM
I was most impressed by lowry here in Bdn Friday night. the man is huge, and he's playing with more of an edge this year, very impressive.

Wrangler
10-03-2011, 02:04 PM
I didn't get in to see the game at MJ but I heard it on the radio. To me, it sounded like a repeat of last season. Lamb played his 4 lines for some of the 1st period a little in the 2nd & and only his top 2 lines in the 3rd. What R we now 1 & 4, if Lamb keeps that system again this yr, we R in for a looooong dry winter. How, (I ask anyone with an ounce of grey matter) does Lamb expect a team of 12 players to win any games in this league. We can't put all the blame on the goaltenders when our veteran D-men get caught out of position or unable to win fights for the puck in our end or are unable to clear anything (puck or player) in front of the net leaving the tenders out to dry. Why, because they are too damm tired by the 3rd to stand up much less fight for the puck. The same goes for the 6-7 forwards who play every second shift + PP & PK get caught up ice & can't get back to help out. Yes, the Broncos have a decent team & if "COACHED" properly could make a good showing this year. BUT, it has to be a total team effort. Vet players like Blank, Nedomiel, Lowry, Vause will have to step up BUT they must also bring the younger players along with them. Having them set the bench does nothing for their development or confidence. + it does nothing for team building. Lamb get your head out of your A@# & start COACHING before you drage this franchise into bankrutcy. :burningmad::o

scbfan
10-03-2011, 04:50 PM
How many Goalies does Moose Jaw need? To me that is a team that see's an issue and is making moves to fix it! mmmmmmm are we still hoping Soberg changes his mind? I'm sure we could get one from them for nothing and give him a try, what could it really hurt? lol

Toswammi
10-03-2011, 05:49 PM
As I have said in the past the only 20 goalie that is worth while plays in Kootenay and I don't think they are moving him.

I would rather keep what we have then get Dubnyk in MJ.

Tamal_SC
10-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Well, I guess Lamb found another tender he could acquire. Sad to see Peddle go, I guess we will see how it works out. Here is the release from scbroncos.com

http://www.scbroncos.com/article/broncos-acquire-netminder-groenheyde-from-oil-kings

Best of luck to Peds as he moves on to Edmonton.
EDIT: I thought this was applicable here as it does relate to goaltending. If someone want to start a thread for the trade that is fine too.

Flathead
10-04-2011, 03:05 PM
I didn't get in to see the game at MJ but I heard it on the radio. To me, it sounded like a repeat of last season. Lamb played his 4 lines for some of the 1st period a little in the 2nd & and only his top 2 lines in the 3rd. What R we now 1 & 4, if Lamb keeps that system again this yr, we R in for a looooong dry winter. How, (I ask anyone with an ounce of grey matter) does Lamb expect a team of 12 players to win any games in this league. We can't put all the blame on the goaltenders when our veteran D-men get caught out of position or unable to win fights for the puck in our end or are unable to clear anything (puck or player) in front of the net leaving the tenders out to dry. Why, because they are too damm tired by the 3rd to stand up much less fight for the puck. The same goes for the 6-7 forwards who play every second shift + PP & PK get caught up ice & can't get back to help out. Yes, the Broncos have a decent team & if "COACHED" properly could make a good showing this year. BUT, it has to be a total team effort. Vet players like Blank, Nedomiel, Lowry, Vause will have to step up BUT they must also bring the younger players along with them. Having them set the bench does nothing for their development or confidence. + it does nothing for team building. Lamb get your head out of your A@# & start COACHING before you drage this franchise into bankrutcy. :burningmad::o

When your down a couple goals, because of brutal goaltending your not going to make a comeback with a bunch of rookie third and fourth liners! That's why the vets get more ice time, not rocket science! Let's say Anaheim is down couple going into the third, your going to see a lot of Perry, Selanne, Getzlaf, Ryan and chances are Parros, Marchant and Ruuttu are left on the bench. The game against Brandon was nothing but brutal tending, had nothing to do with bad defensive play by anyone! The team is coming out of the Chenyoweth era and Lamb is going in the right direction.

Toswammi
10-04-2011, 03:42 PM
When your down a couple goals, because of brutal goaltending your not going to make a comeback with a bunch of rookie third and fourth liners! That's why the vets get more ice time, not rocket science! Let's say Anaheim is down couple going into the third, your going to see a lot of Perry, Selanne, Getzlaf, Ryan and chances are Parros, Marchant and Ruuttu are left on the bench. The game against Brandon was nothing but brutal tending, had nothing to do with bad defensive play by anyone! The team is coming out of the Chenyoweth era and Lamb is going in the right direction.

Plus, I believe in the MJ game, he was down to 5 d-men in the second period.

Wrangler
10-04-2011, 04:31 PM
WHATEVER!!!!!! :rolleyes: Look around the league, most "player" orientated coaches are playing their rookies on regular shifts and doing a hell of a better job than we are. ie., Reg, MJ, Brandon etc & etc. Maybe some fans still don't understand that hockey is a TEAM sport & that, IMO, means all the players not just a chosen few. How will "rookies" learn, develop & gain confidence if they only get on the ice a few short shifts per game???. For those who have played the game know that when we have control of the puck we have 6 offensive players on the ice, when the other guys take the puck from us we now have 6 defensive players, SO, don't place all the blame on the tenders when we get scored on even thought they are the last line of defense.

ol' skool
10-04-2011, 06:24 PM
There is no team in the world that is gonna roll 4 lines all the time. As a coach you roll 4 lines to start the game and if you get a lead and are in a position to do so. Any coach who is down by one or two late in a game is gonna give the big guns alot of ice time to try to get back in the game. As for goaltending, groenhyde was unbelievable after he got sent to Edmonton last year. He also seemed to be a great leader in the dressing room there. I think it is a good move for us. Smith and Myland just haven't shown they are capable of stealing a game for us yet and unless we want to only win 10 games this year this is a good move.

lordstanley
10-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Probably not the right thread for this but i had too

Richard Nedomel last season had 10 points all year this season he has 8 points in 5 games whats the sudden change in offense you guys see in him ?

Toswammi
10-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Probably not the right thread for this but i had too

Richard Nedomel last season had 10 points all year this season he has 8 points in 5 games whats the sudden change in offense you guys see in him ?

He doesn't panic with the puck, and is being given lots of pp ice time as the pp qb. Also he may not have a rocket, but he gets the pick through traffic and on net.

jersey
10-04-2011, 11:29 PM
a week ago or so, didnt lamb say he was't looking for a goalie!!!!! the management of this team,doesnt know if it is comming or going and it is reflected in the financial statement, and the win/loss standings.

Wrangler
10-05-2011, 09:48 AM
There is no team in the world that is gonna roll 4 lines all the time. As a coach you roll 4 lines to start the game and if you get a lead and are in a position to do so. Any coach who is down by one or two late in a game is gonna give the big guns alot of ice time to try to get back in the game. As for goaltending, groenhyde was unbelievable after he got sent to Edmonton last year. He also seemed to be a great leader in the dressing room there. I think it is a good move for us. Smith and Myland just haven't shown they are capable of stealing a game for us yet and unless we want to only win 10 games this year this is a good move.

Don't have a problem with putting out the BIG GUNS in the 3rd if we are down a goal or 2 but to start rolling only 2 lines by the middle of the 2nd just doesn't cut the mustard IMO. No gas left by the 3rd to do much to bring the team back.

Broncs in RD
10-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Wrangler, what are you talking about? Moose jaw did not role 4 lines going into the 3rd period. They had some players get 5 shifts all game so for your info it is the way hockey works you try and role 4 lines for as long as you can if it is working great if it is not you have to go to 3 then if you need a goal you throw your big guns out more and more.
The fact someone throw out that mark is driving this team to bankruptcy better look back to the mcewan, chenyowth(sp) eras.
Lamb at least has a plan and by next year and the year after it should all come together.

I think the goaltending situation got a little upgrade. With this move I believe a kid like Howorko has the opportunity to get more minutes.

Horseshoe
10-05-2011, 11:52 AM
a week ago or so, didnt lamb say he was't looking for a goalie!!!!! the management of this team,doesnt know if it is comming or going and it is reflected in the financial statement, and the win/loss standings.

I don't think Lamb would be the first GM to tell the media one thing and then do another! Brian Burke and many other GMs in a lot of sports are known for not showing their hand especially when questioned by the media....I don't think that makes them wishy washy!

scfan39
10-05-2011, 03:43 PM
I think the goaltending situation got a little upgrade. With this move I believe a kid like Howorko has the opportunity to get more minutes.

I'd also like to see Howorko up there on 2nd line with Black and Hoban

And try Derko/Blanke/Dale again