PDA

View Full Version : Royals at Prince George 30 Sep

CdnSailor
09-30-2011, 10:07 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/VictoriaRoyals.gif at http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/PrinceGeorgeCougars.gif

I am really amazed PG is not kicking our butts at the end of the 2nd. 34 SOG for PG and 14 for Royals.
Last game against Giants the had 50 SOG and lost to us. If this keeps up and our goalies save us we should continously get the Goalie of the week ;)
I expect PG will surpass what the Giants had.

dondo
09-30-2011, 10:43 PM
As long as you stick with Hamilton. Gamble has some serious flaws. I expect he'll be dealt or released very soon. He didn't really get to play a lot behind Gore last year in Chilliwack so his development is not where an OA goalie usually would be by this time.

CdnSailor
09-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Seconds to go, 49 SOG and it is now a tie. Only a matter of time.............

CdnSailor
09-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Seconds to go, 49 SOG and it is now a tie. Only a matter of time.............
Well 3 games in hand and PG has the most SOG against Victoria. 51

CdnSailor
09-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Royals will continue with many firsts this season. First overtime. First shootout, first Shootout win and first road victory.
Strong performance by Hamilton. Our Defence needs to start picking it up or we will eventually start loosing big time
Stars of the game:
1. VIC - 30 Keith Hamilton
2. P.G - 15 Charles Inglis
3. P.G - 2 Daniel Gibb

Final shots on goal
51-25

http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/60213

wombats
09-30-2011, 11:29 PM
Hamilton was great in net. The Royals were much more physical than the Cougars and despite having some big guys, the Cougars were getting bounced around pretty bad. Alex Forsberg really needs a bit of weight on him. Fontaine is only 5' 5" and doesn't play much bigger. He has nice hands. The big guys need to play big or the Cougars will be a medicore team this season.

The OAers for the Cougars need to bring it. Owsley did not make the saves when he needed to. Carlson had 2 points, but blew coverages, at least one resulting in a goal, and missed an open net. Asuchak was pretty much invisible.

Thompson needs to convert on the penalty shot during the game.

You have to wonder if Habschied would get as much ice if his dad wasn't the coach. He was not impressive.

Shot totals are a bit misleading. The Cougars did not out chance the Royals by as much as the shots would indicate.

Tomorrow night same teams back at the train station.

CdnSailor
09-30-2011, 11:49 PM
Still, Royals have had over 150 SOG against during the last three games, whether overrated or not. This is still crap as far as I am concened.
Hamilton can only do so much for the team. Eventually his glory will end and we will be in last place rather than in first as we are this evening.
Royals defence sucks at this time. They need to start playing like defencemen rather than figure skaters, doing circles and going nowhere.

CdnSailor
10-01-2011, 12:04 AM
PRINCE GEORGE — The country and western band playing outside CN Centre Friday night was a reminder the Victoria Royals were on a different street than the one back home called Blanshard.

It, however, turned out to be a mournful tune being sung for the host Prince George Cougars as shootout goals by Kevin Sundher and Robin Soudek gave the Royals a 5-4 Western Hockey League victory.

For the second consecutive game, goaltender Keith Hamilton faced more than 50 shots in victory and provided Victoria (2-1) the difference as Prince George (1-0-1) outshot the Royals 51-25.

It was a relatively modest announced crowd of 4,530 in the 6,000-seat building — considering it was the home opener for the Cougars and also the Pink in the Rink breast-cancer fundraiser.

The future is now for Prince George, with a certain urgency built-in because of declining attendance the past few seasons. The group of 16-year-olds who came in three years ago are now 19 and the Cougars are waiting for the payoff with a roster that includes three 20-year-olds, seven 19-year-olds and five 18-year-olds. That is almost the mirror opposite to Victoria’s young roster that includes nine 16- or 17-year-olds.

“We have a veteran team built around that group of 19-year-olds,” said Cougars GM Dallas Thompson.

“We have 15 players on the roster we selected [through the WHL bantam draft] and only four we’ve acquired through trades. We’ve built from within.”

Said Prince George head coach Dean Clark: “I see it as part of a progression that, I believe, puts us into the top third of the league.”

Jarrett Fontaine and Troy Bourke gave the Cougars a 2-0 lead just 6:37 into the game. Logan Nelson brought Victoria to within one with the building PA announcing it as a “Chilliwack goal.” The Royals, who skated the past five seasons as the Chilliwack Bruins, didn’t take it as a slight and levelled 2-2 through Soudek’s third goal of the season that was set up by a fine move to the net by Sundher.

Those two would be heard from later, in the shootout, following a scoreless five-minute overtime period.

Sundher was at it again with a crafty and quick pass from behind the net to set up Brandon Magee at 4:22 of the second period and make it 3-2 Victoria.

Hamilton preserved that advantage by stretching out to stymie Tayler Thompson on a penalty shot midway through the second frame.

The Cougars, however, finally tied matters 3-3 through Charles Inglis at 12: 52 of the second.

Victoria’s 17-year-old Victoria forward Steven Hodges made it 4-3 on a shorthanded, unassisted breakaway at 7:34 of the third period.

That held until Prince George, with the goalie pulled, counted with Alex Forsberg’s late goal at 19:22 that sent it to OT.

The Cougars were missing Port McNeill-raised star forward Brett Connolly, who is still with Tampa Bay, the club that selected him sixth overall in the 2010 NHL draft.

The game, however, marked the return of strapping six-foot-four defenceman Martin Marincin to the Cougars from the NHL camp of the Edmonton Oilers.

The Royals and Cougars meet here again tonight at 7.

ICE CHIPS: Two Islanders play for the Cougars — defenceman Cody Carlson of Victoria and centre Greg Fraser from Nanaimo . . . The good thing about CN Centre is the video scoreboard. The bad thing for many fans? No beer allowed in the stands, which is almost unheard of these days in the hockey business.

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/Royals+clip+Cougars+shootout/5486166/story.html#ixzz1ZVWN6srm

pontcanna
10-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Agree with Wombats. Though the shots were one-sided (again) watching the game it didn't seem to me that the Royals were dominated or "lucky" to win. I saw effort, physical play and good goaltending. Yeah, we're going to have some blowouts along the way until the D tightens up, but that'll come with experience.

CdnSailor
10-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Prince George, BC- The Victoria Royals opened a three game B.C. Division road swing against the Prince George Cougars on Friday night. The matchup took place at the CN Centre with Keith Hamilton getting the nod in net for the Royals and Drew Owsley getting the start for the Cougars.
The game got off to an explosive start when the Royals' Tim Traber and Prince George's Brock Hirsche dropped the gloves a mere 21 seconds in. After the dust settled both teams traded early power play chances, but neither team was able to get on the board. Prince George would change that when a rebound fell onto the stick of Cougars' forward Jarrett Fontaine, who managed to slide the puck past Hamilton for a 1-0 lead 5:08 into the period. The Cougars continued their offensive push and it paid off just 60 seconds later when Troy Bourke banked a shot in through Hamilton for a 2-0 lead. Victoria cut the lead in half when centre Logan Nelson picked up a loose puck in the slot and found the back of the net. Victoria evened the game at 2-2 at 13:48 when Kevin Sundher fed Robin Soudek who beat Owsley on the glove side for the marker. Soudek has scored in each of the Royals' first three games. The gamed remained knotted at 2-2 after 20 minutes,.

Victoria maintained their momentum into the second period, and were rewarded at 4:22 when Brandon Magee took a feed from Sundher in front of the net and finished to give the visiting team their first lead of the game. With the Royals down a man, Prince George's Tayler Thompson was awarded a penalty shot. Thompson went to his backhand, but was stoned by Hamilton's blocker to keep the score 3-2 in favour of Victoria. The Cougars were able to get back on the board after Charles Inglis scored at the 12:52 mark. The second period would conclude with the game tied at 3-3.

Both teams applied early pressure to start the third period. The Royals' penalty killers continued their strong play, and they were rewarded when Steven Hodges was was sent in on a breakaway. The Victoria forward went to his backhand and beat Owsley for the 4-3 lead. Halfway through the third frame the Cougars looked to even the score, but Hamilton was again up to the task when he denied Cougars' forward Alex Forsberg. With under two minutes left the Cougars pulled Owsley for an extra attacker. This time Forsberg found himself with the puck on the doorstep and was able to solve Hamilton when he batted it into the net with 38 seconds remaining to tie the game at 4-4. The teams would head to an extra session.

Overtime solved nothing as both goaltenders continued their strong play. The game would be decided by the shootout. The Royals' Hamilton made a right pad save on Forsberg on the Cougars' first attempt. Victoria's Kevin Sundher scored on the Royals' first attempt for the 1-0 lead in the shootout. Hamilton shut the door on Prince George's second attempt. This allowed Soudek to secure the victory for the Royals' with a shot up high past Owsley. Royals 5 Cougars 4 in a shootout.

Victoria went 0/4 0.0%on the power play, while Prince George was 0/5 0.0%. The Cougars outshot the Royals 51-25.

the Royal Flush
10-01-2011, 09:45 AM
a win is a win...

50sWHLer
10-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Very much enjoyed listening to the Game on the Radio. Good PXP

Nice to see the SO Win too, BUT, agree that Hamilton has come up BIG to make the difference.

Now it's time for the D to step forward keep the opposition to the outside and cut down on the number of quality shots getting to the net.

The offense is creating some good chances, and I'm sure as they play together, and get to know each other more, our chances to score will improve.

Looking forward to listening again tonight.

GO ROYALS GO !!!!

CdnSailor
10-01-2011, 04:45 PM
At the 25:00 mark is the highlights of Fridays game.

http://www.cheknews.ca/index.php?option=com_jumi&fileid=7&Itemid=126

Click on the chek news @ 10, 30 Sept link

coach
10-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Still, Royals have had over 150 SOG against during the last three games, whether overrated or not. This is still crap as far as I am concened.
Hamilton can only do so much for the team. Eventually his glory will end and we will be in last place rather than in first as we are this evening.
Royals defence sucks at this time. They need to start playing like defencemen rather than figure skaters, doing circles and going nowhere.

Oh my god pull your head out of your a$$ and realize they are juniors not so called "professionals"..Give them the break they deserve being a first year team and crawl off your high horse. I thought you were not interested in junior hockey anyway. Please go back to the "hasbeen" hockey league and leave the up & comers alone. They will appreciate it.

50sWHLer
10-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Geez 'coach', it was nice here until you came back on the scene!

Take it easy L'll Buddy --- Jeepers, you'll have a Hear attack if you keep this up !

Everybody is allowed their opinion, and just because that opinion doesn't agree with yours, doesn't mean it's wrong!!!! --- and until we see more action throughout the Season, we really don't know WHO is correct on their analysis of the WHL here in Victoria, or the Victoria Royals.

Cdnsailor is a very active and highly participating member of this Forum, and is appreciated by most.

Really no necessity in using personally degrading remarks, Thank You !

A little Class Please!!!

CdnSailor
10-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Oh my god pull your head out of your a$$ and realize they are juniors not so called "professionals"..Give them the break they deserve being a first year team and crawl off your high horse. I thought you were not interested in junior hockey anyway. Please go back to the "hasbeen" hockey league and leave the up & comers alone. They will appreciate it.
I guess "COACH" you should stop coaching because your memory aint worth a you know what.
Yes Victoria is a first year team for Victoria, but all the players come from Chilliwack.
So get your story straight before you pick on me, as to 150 SOG, if they werre Chilliwack still and I was a Chilliwack fan I would say the same damn thing. :clap: :clap: :clap:

PS yes I still do like the ECHL for what they are, and yes I will learn to grow with the DUB.

CdnSailor
10-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Game video summary from the WHL website

http://www.whl.ca/video/index/id/1317486456

salmonkingsforever
10-01-2011, 10:47 PM

a first year team? first year in Victoria, but its year 6 for the franchise!

by the way, how are the Grizzlies doing?

coach
10-02-2011, 07:00 AM
a first year team? first year in Victoria, but its year 6 for the franchise!

by the way, how are the Grizzlies doing?

Whoa there's a shot. By your own comments you want nothing to do with "juniors". Well? The grizzlies have management problems and will correct it, hopefully. They have the guys to perform on the team but are very disorganized. It is again a shame to see Victoria only able to support 1 team. Bear Mountain arena is pretty bare around the boards and the seats. Time will tell.

salmonkingsforever
10-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Whoa there's a shot. By your own comments you want nothing to do with "juniors". Well? The grizzlies have management problems and will correct it, hopefully. They have the guys to perform on the team but are very disorganized. It is again a shame to see Victoria only able to support 1 team. Bear Mountain arena is pretty bare around the boards and the seats. Time will tell.i would say they have ownership problems. having the owner as coach is idiotic, but then again, look at the owner!

CdnSailor
10-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Game highlights from CHEK TV

http://bcove.me/ir3i11tm