PDA

View Full Version : Deagle & Grayson

Rebrevs
10-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Since they are not playing Deagle and Grayson, it is looking more and more like these two will be traded. I think Deagle will actually be a good offer in return for a younger, scoring forward. He is a decent, responsible defenseman. I'm not sure where Grayson is in the mix. The fact that they are hanging on to Hak and Thiel tells me that they want to take a closer look at these two. I don't think playing 3 tough teams right off the top has given Jesse the opportunity to put these less experienced players in to see what they can do. I know Hak played in Saskatoon last night. I was listening to the radio so I couldn't get a feel for how he did. I do however, think Grayson is in a little trouble in terms of making this team or being traded. I'm also wondering what is going on with Burr. I know he was injured but I think he now healthy. He is the only forward who has yet to see game time. I'm betting he will play tonight against PA. I thought Joel Hamilton looked good in the home opener but he was pretty shaky in the Edmonton game on the Sunday. What are the thoughts of some of the rest of you re: what you have seen so far. Is Locke Muller worth cutting a smaller potential goal scorer like Burr??

SectionNDeserter
10-01-2011, 05:29 PM
I do however, think Grayson is in a little trouble in terms of making this team or being traded.He looked very ordinary in training camp, but he was decent last season. He has more trade value than Deagle, based on his age as well as his toughness and his track record (Tournaments etc.)

I'm also wondering what is going on with Burr. I know he was injured but I think he now healthy.He is in a tough spot. He has lots of raw skill and potential, but needs more ice time than the Rebels can probably give him to improve his game, and likely won't get a lot better playing at a lower level. He could be moved along with some others for some pieces of the puzzle.

Is Locke Muller worth cutting a smaller potential goal scorer like Burr??Doesn't really fill the same role. Guys that are taking Burr's roster spot are guys like Maxwell or Hamilton. If the 5'9 160lb Burr is going to fight and put guys through the boards like Muller, it becomes more of a question.

Rebrevs
10-01-2011, 07:53 PM
I wasn't comparing Burr to Muller. I was comparing anyone who can score to Muller. I really believe we need people who can score. I get what Muller's role is on the team but I'm not convinced that it is worth keeping him on the team at the expense of someone, anyone who can put the puck in the net.

Red celtic
10-01-2011, 08:14 PM
I wasn't comparing Burr to Muller. I was comparing anyone who can score to Muller. I really believe we need people who can score. I get what Muller's role is on the team but I'm not convinced that it is worth keeping him on the team at the expense of someone, anyone who can put the puck in the net.

I would be more concerned about our top 6 forwards not scoring not someone who will have a hard time being a 4th liner. Muller has a role on this team and being a scorer isn't what expected of him. Being someone who is physical and difficult to play against is more what is expected. So why would you compare Burr to Muller? If you feel we need more scoring in the the top 6 I am with you. But we still need that physical forward whether its Muller or someone else don't think Burr has that skill set.

SectionNDeserter
10-01-2011, 09:00 PM
I get what Muller's role is on the team but I'm not convinced that it is worth keeping him on the team at the expense of someone, anyone who can put the puck in the net.Any young guy like Burr that joins the team is going to have to pay his dues on the 3rd/4th lines. On the Rebels (and a lot of teams) that is going to mean playing a conservative, defensive role. Locke Muller's size and style of play is far better suited to this. Replace Muller with Burr, and you have a checking line comprised of three of Burr, Millette, Maxwell and Hamilton. I don't think I really have to tell you how that would turn out...

If Burr is going to crack the roster, he has to outperform the other smallish rookie forwards, and not the crashers and bangers that are out there to compliment them. He really hasn't been able to do that, at least not yet.

If they are looking to boost their offense, there are a few ways they could accomplish this without the creation of scary all-rookie checking lines. First one is completely out of their control at the moment, and that would be to get RNH back from the Oilers. Second one would be to find an upgrade to Josh Cowen, or at least stop playing him on the top two lines. I have always thought that Cowen has been an ok depth player, but he has looked awful so far. All he has done this season is make some dreadful passes, mishandle some passes and he has taken a handful of stupid offensive zone penalties.

Rebrevs
10-01-2011, 10:35 PM
I wasn't comparing Burr to Muller!! I get that Muller is a big body. What I would really like is tougher checking from everyone that will then turn into scoring opportunities. Medicine Hat has proven over and over that gritty hard work, against the boards, among ALL their forwards(size is not a factor Ex. Dorsett, a few years back, who tried out in Red Deer and got cut then did very well in MH) is what gets the job done. Getting possession of the puck is the first order of business. The second order of business is being able to score once you have possession (something I question in Muller's skill set). We have a problem, as a team, WORKING for possession of the puck. Siwak is a good example. He can score but it doesn't do much good if he and his line mates don't work hard enough to get possession of the puck especially along the boards. It seems that ALL of the forwards from MH are expected to check. It is not a role for one or two players.

SectionNDeserter
10-02-2011, 06:06 AM
I wasn't comparing Burr to Muller!!I think you are focusing a little too much on this one point. My main point is that the Rebels 3rd and fourth lines, are called on to play primarily a defensive role, and that you can only have so many rookies there. The rookies that are currently there have demonstrated a more well-rounded game than Burr so far. I think you could make a compelling argument that they could use an upgrade to Muller on the 3rd/4th line, I just don't think that any of our rookies are ready to step in and replace him defensively.

What I would really like is tougher checking from everyone that will then turn into scoring opportunities.And I think a few of the young guys will eventually get there. Mayor was in the same boat last year, and I think is one of the better two-way players on the team now. From what I have seen from Burr so far, I don't think you can even use checking in the same sentence as his name--that part of his game appears to need the most work.

It seems that ALL of the forwards from MH are expected to check. It is not a role for one or two players.But you also don't see full units on Medicine Hat that are comprised entirely of smallish first year players that are straight out of midget. There has to be some balance.