PDA

View Full Version : Victoria Royals at Kamloops Blazers 02 Oct 11

CdnSailor
10-01-2011, 11:17 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/VictoriaRoyals.gif at http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/KamloopsBlazers.gif

Victoria is 4-3-1-0 for 6pts with a 3 game win streak and 114 PIM
Kamloops is 2-1-1 for 2pts and 37 PIM

Victoria is currently on a 3 game, 3 day road swing winning the first two against the Prince George Cougars.
Kamloops played Vancouver on Friday winning 6-2 at the home barn.

CdnSailor
10-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Being a newbie to the Dub league, I find it difficult to watch a team play three in a row. If the team was the same for all three then no problem but when you play a fresh team on the third that has a days break. I am not sure if every team gets the same but if they do not then something's wrong with the league

CdnSailor
10-02-2011, 11:04 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/VictoriaRoyals.gif 8 http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/KamloopsBlazers.gif 2

Attendance: 3532

1. KAM - 34 JC Lipon
2. KAM - 10 Chase Schaber
3. KAM - 15 Tim Bozon

Kamloops SOG 43
Victoria SOG 23

Game Summary:
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/60224

CdnSailor
10-02-2011, 11:09 PM
The Victoria Royals had their modest three-game win streak snapped Sunday evening, falling behind early and never managing to claw their way back out of the hole in an 8-2 loss to the Kamloops Blazers.

Logan Nelson had both goals for the visiting Royals, who played in front of 3,532 fans at the Interior Savings Centre. Victoria had swept the Prince George Cougars on Friday and Saturday night to begin the challenging three-game road trip.

Chase Schaber and J.C. Lipon had two goals apiece for the Blazers, while Colin Smith, Matt Needham, Tim Bozon ad Bronson Maschmeyer added one each for the victors, who jumped out to a 4-0 advantage by the 11:28 mark of the second period after opening up a 2-0 advantage after the first 20 minutes of play.

“I thought we cheated in some areas. You have to bring it every night,” said Royals’ general manager and head coach Marc Habscheid, insisting some players took shortcuts throughout the night.

“I think we cheated at times and they made us pay for it. Some of the young guys got exposed a little bit tonight.”

But Victoria was also without veteran leaders Brandon Magee (lower body injury) and Kevin Sundher (illness) for most of the game, attempting to battle through its third outing in three nights with a shortened bench. The Royals also had lost Tyler Stahl to injury the night previous in a 6-5 win in Prince George.

“I’m not going to use that as an excuse. We want to be a team that can face adversity head-on,” said Habscheid. “We want to find reasons to win, not look for excuses to lose.”

All in all, it was a very productive road trip for the former Chilliwack Bruins club. Yes, Victoria slides to 3-2 with the loss, but still leads the B.C. Division of the Western Hockey League by two points over the Blazers, at 2-1, and the Kelowna Rockets, who are a perfect 2-0.

Victoria goaltenders Keith Hamilton and Braden Gamble both surrendered four goals on Sunday. Hamilton suffered his first loss of the season, allowing four Kamloops markers on 20 shots as the starter. Gamble faced 22 shots after coming in 31:28 into the game, immediately following Schaber’s short-handed effort.

Nelson, of Minnesota, responded with a Victoria power-play goal just 33 seconds later. The Cougars’ power play finished 1-for-6 on the evening while the Blazers were 0-for-6 with the man advantage.

Taran Kozun stopped 21 of 23 shots he faced in the Kamloops net.

The Royals return home for a two-game set against the Medicine Hat Tigers on Thursday and Friday nights at 7 p.m. before venturing back out to Seattle on Sunday.

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/Kamloops+ends+Royals+streak+three/5491705/story.html#ixzz1ZgzOGOAU

CdnSailor
10-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Victoria loses 8-2 to Kamloops as team plays third game in three nights.

For Immediate Release
Sunday, October 2, 2011

Kamloops, BC – The Victoria Royals landed in Kamloops for a Sunday night match-up against the Blazers that saw the team play their third game in three nights. The Royals swept the first two games of the weekend in Prince George and brought a three-game winning streak into the game. Victoria started Keith Hamilton in the net while Kamloops gave Taran Kozun his first start of his WHL career.

The Blazers used a strong forecheck to open the scoring at 5:24 of the first period. After battling to keep the puck in the zone, Kamloops’ forward Logan McVeigh corralled a loose puck at the side of the net and slide a cross crease pass as he fell to the ice. Colin Smith dove towards the puck and shot it into the Royals’ net for the 1-0 lead.
Smith looked for his second goal of the game when he was sprung on a breakaway. Kamloops’ defenceman Austin Madaisky wired a pass from deep in his own zone to Smith on the Victoria side of center. The Blazers’ forward came in on Hamilton and let a quick wrist shot go, but the Royals’ keeper batted it down with his glove to keep it 1-0. Kamloops made it 2-0 a few minutes later when a shot from the left point by Madaisky was kicked aside by Hamilton, but Blazers’ forward JC Lipon was on the doorstep and lifted the rebound, via the backhand, into the net at 10:25. Kamloops held a 2-0 lead after the first period.

The Blazers increased their lead to 3-0 early in the second. Kamloops’ forward Ryan Hanes broke into the zone down the right wing boards and fed Chase Schaber at the top of the circle. Schaber toe-dragged the Royals’ defender, to create space, and then let a wrist shot fly. Hamilton got a piece of the puck with his blocker, but not enough as it found the back of the net at the 3:54 mark. Schaber made it 4-0 with a shorthanded breakaway goal at 11:28. Braden Gamble replaced Hamilton in the Victoria net following Schaber’s goal. The Royals’ quickly responded on the power play a mere 33 seconds later. Kade Pilton cut down the right half-wall from his point position. When he reached the corner he threw a cross-ice pass to Logan Nelson who wired a wrist shot past the glove of Kozun to cut the lead to 4-1. Kamloops added to their lead with Lipon’s second of the night to regain the four goal advantage. Victoria got that one back after Nelson counted his second of the game when he collected the rebound of an Austin Carroll slap shot and put it behind Kozun. The Blazers led 5-2 through 40 minutes.

Kamloops added three more goals in the third period when Tim Bozon, Matt Needham and Bronson Maschmeyer lit the lamp. Blazers 8 Royals 2.

Victoria went = 1/6=16.7% on the power play, while Kamloops was 0/6=0.0%. The Blazers outshot the Royals 42-23.

CdnSailor
10-03-2011, 03:09 PM
October 3, 2011

By Gregg Drinnan
Daily News Sports Editor

Prior to Sunday, the last time Victoria’s WHL team came to town, on March 4, 1994, it took an overtime goal by Ryan Huska to give the Kamloops Blazers a 4-3 victory over the Cougars.

That gave the Blazers their 25th straight victory at home, a streak that would reach a WHL-record 33.

The Blazers (2-1-0) didn’t need to work overtime last night as they won their second straight game at Interior Savings Centre, beating the Victoria Royals, 8-2, behind right-winger J.C. Lipon’s first career four-point game.

The Cougars moved to Prince George after the 1993-94 season. The Royals were appearing here for the first time since moving to Victoria following five seasons as the Chilliwack Bruins.

Attendance was announced at 3,532, the sixth-smallest regular-season crowd in the building’s history and the lowest since its first season (1992-93).

Lipon, 18, enjoyed the first four-point night of his career — it was his 121st regular-season game — and had two goals for the second time. He scored twice on Oct. 4, 2009, in the sixth game of his career.

The Blazers’ game plan was simple.

“We just . . . wore them down and they didn’t want any part of us when we got pucks deep,” Lipon said. “They just kind of died and we took advantage of it. We didn’t let up.”

The Royals (3-2-0), whose team bus — the one with the bunks on it — hasn’t yet arrived, were road weary and looked it, especially after falling behind 2-0. They left home Thursday at 7:30 a.m., got into Prince George about 9:30 p.m., and beat the Cougars on Friday and Saturday nights. (After last night’s game, they headed for a hotel in Tsawwassen and were to be on the 9 o’clock ferry to Sidney this morning.)

So the Blazers put pucks deep and went to the net. It worked, too, with Lipon setting up Colin Smith for the game’s first goal, at 5:24, and scoring the second, at 10:25.

“I thought in the second half of the first period we started to cheat,” Marc Habscheid, the Royals’ general manager and head coach, said. “Yeah, we lost some key people, but you have to bring it every night . . . I don’t care what the odds are or what the conditions are.”

In his first two seasons with the Blazers, Lipon was a third- and fourth-line guy, what is known in the vernacular as an energy player. Last season, he engaged in fisticuffs on 15 occasions as he compiled 134 penalty minutes.

This season, Lipon is playing alongside Smith and Tim Bozon, and the three are being counted on for some offence. Lipon had two assists, Bozon had three helpers and Smith had a goal in Friday’s 6-2 victory over the visiting Vancouver Giants.

“Things are clicking,” Lipon said. “I just want to keep contributing but stick to my energy game and not get greedy.”

You know things are clicking when you get an assist as you’re on the way to the bench. That’s what happened on the Blazers’ sixth goal. As Bozon scored his first WHL goal, Lipon was almost at the bench, about to be replaced by Dylan Willick.

“I didn’t even know I got the assist . . . I just wanted the plus,” a laughing Lipon said. Yes, he got the plus; he finished at plus-2; each of his linemates was plus-4.

Smith wound up with a goal and two assists, with Bozon getting one of each. That means the line has 15 points over the last two games.

Chase Schaber added two goals for Kamloops, the second a shorthanded effort that was the punctuation mark on the decision as the Royals followed with a goaltending change, Braden Gamble coming in for Keith Hamilton. Matt Needham and Bronson Maschmeyer also scored for the Blazers, with freshman forward Logan Nelson, who is from Rogers, Minn., scoring both Victoria goals.

The Blazers’ outburst — they scored eight goals just once last season, in their 64th game — also helped goaltender Taran Kozun, a 17-year-old from Nipawin, Sask., win his first WHL start.

“I was nervous going in,” said Kozun, who made 21 saves. “But after the first couple of shifts I really got in the flow and all the nerves went away. We scored the first goal and I really felt like all the nerves went away right after that.”

He got a lot of help from a team that was solid defensively for a second straight game.

“The third period was the best,” Lipon said. “We didn’t get greedy and kept sticking to the game plan.”

The Blazers, who had 42 shots, allowed Vancouver only four shots in the third period; they did likewise last night.

“We had goals set in the room, eight shots a period,” Lipon stated. “We were under that so it’s a bonus.”

JUST NOTES: The Royals were 1-for-6 on the power play, leaving the Kamloops penalty-killers at 15-for-16 in three games. . . . The Blazers’ PP was 0-for-6. . . . Kamloops RW Chase Souto, who has had three concussions in less than a year, left the game in the second period after taking a hit from Victoria’s Zane Jones. Souto’s head hit the glass, he went down and looked discombobulated as he tried to regain his feet. Trainer Colin Robinson helped him to the dressing room, but Souto later returned to action. . . . The Royals lost D Tyler Stahl, 19, with a suspected concussion after he took a shot from F Charles Inglis of the host Cougars on Saturday. Inglis received a major for a check to the head and is likely to be suspended. . . . Victoria lost F Brandon Magee with an injury to his right leg in the second period last night. . . . The Blazers are at home Friday to the Spokane Chiefs. . .