PDA

View Full Version : Trade

Bladesguy
10-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Heard the Blades are close to making a trade with Vancouver.

Bladesguy
10-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Sounds like Morrison and Bews are the ones gone

Western Elite
10-04-2011, 01:34 PM
http://www.vancouvergiants.com/article/giants-acquire-adam-morrison-and-levi-bews

Adam Morrison/Levi Bews

Fop

Michael Burns/Zach Hodder and a 4th in 2013

Thoughts?

PJ Awesome
10-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Cool!! gives a chance to Adam Todd who I assume will come in?

auch07
10-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Thank god is all I have to say.

Bladesguy
10-04-2011, 01:43 PM
I like the trade. Gives more depth on D. Adds another experienced forward up front. Makarov can probably carry the load without Morrison. All in all I think it is good.

Western Elite
10-04-2011, 01:47 PM
I think it is a trade that really helps both teams.

Vancouver gets a much needed goalie upgrade, while Makarov for Saskatoon has proven to be atleast equal to Morrison.

The interesting part of the deal is that Saskatoon adds another veteran forward which improves depth once again.

Zach Hodder and Levi Bews are two players with big potential. Hodder had some injury problems but is a former 1st round pick with size and huge upside. Bews never seemed to find his way here.

Adam Todd will get his chance and it is time for him to get that chance!

Trav
10-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Lol all u can say is FINALLY!!!

I like the new guys

hotdog-pocket
10-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Can't say I'm a huge fan of the deal.

Getting rid of Morrison is great, of course, as he continued to struggle and Makarov has shown he can be very good.

Bews though, was starting to turn a corner I thought. He was finally showing more compete and more flashes of why he was once considered a big prospect.

I don't know a ton about the guys we got, although I do know they are both solid and complete players. The thing that also bothers me a bit is that the team got back another 20 year old. IF and it's a big IF, this team gets the bid for the Mem Cup...they are going to be looking at getting younger.

I would just think that they would have gone out and got a 19 yr old and an 18 yr old or something...not a 20.

lordstanley
10-04-2011, 04:27 PM
I don't mind the deal is it huge nope not at all but it could fit well for both clubs

Getting Burns i think is an inssurance situation if BIG Z doesn't come back so we'll see how it all goes i'm sure Lorne knows alot more than all of us so i trust him lol

Trav
10-04-2011, 06:33 PM
The deal I think helps the Blades more then it does the Giants, yes the Giants needed a goaltender but really is Morrison that much of an upgrade? Sure he has more games then Jenzen but he's never been a proven starter or anything. Bews has never really impressed me much, yes he's still young so I guess he can still turn in to something but it looked like was passed on the depth chart by the rookies.

As for what the Blades got, Hodder a young kid that has a new opportunity to show that he was worthy of a 1st round selection, curious to see who gets sent down / released, Fafard or Stimpancik, I'd keep Fafard. I really like the pick up of Burns who had a pretty decent season last year and is a big guy who will help in the scoring department and seems like a top 6 forward and then they even got a 4th round pick which aint bad at all.

Makarov is probably the happiest guy today though as he knows now he'll be playing most of the games which he deserves, go Andrei :)

lordstanley
10-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Another good thing is you and me don't have to yip about Morrison anymore all Makarov now I agree with keeping Fafard he is a good stay at home guy and aint afraid to drop them if need be

Trav
10-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Another good thing is you and me don't have to yip about Morrison anymore all Makarov now I agree with keeping Fafard he is a good stay at home guy and aint afraid to drop them if need be

Yeppers

GBG BLEED BLUE
10-04-2011, 07:09 PM
This was a good trade for both teams. I am really excited for the game tomorrow. The return of Charles Inglis and the addition of the new players.

Trav
10-04-2011, 07:11 PM
This was a good trade for both teams. I am really excited for the game tomorrow. The return of Charles Inglis and the addition of the new players.

Inglis was suspended the other day for 10 games, so we won't be seeing him on the ice for awhile.

Lucic
10-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Hodder has skill but he's very soft and injury prone. If he can stay healthy he could produce some points from the back end. I am not a Michael Burns fan at all but that being said he's a solid all around player that can play in all three zones.

curwie
10-04-2011, 09:53 PM

Charles is real disappointed not to be playing. The league came down hard on him for a head shot, where he knocked a guy from Victoria out cold.

patsdude114
10-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Just remember Don Hay & Bonner dont give away players that have any upside, rarely does the other team who deals with the Giants come away the winner in a deal.

With that said the Giants really do not upgrade there goaltending at all, they maybe fill a need for now but Morrison will be no upgrade at all. I still dont know how the guy got drafted, every time i have seen the guy play he has been avg at best infront of a very talented Blades team (or so 1 would think).

I like a few guys on the Blades team i just dont think the Blades were as solid of a team as many thought they were last year. There was a huge difference in how the team played when Stanford was in goal compared to Morrison. Stanford was a top 2 goalie in the whole WHL last season & it showed in the Blades season in how they played infront of him. They could take more chances cuz 90% of the time Stanford was there to bail them out on any mistakes made. But when Morrison was in net the Blades couldnt play as aggressive cuz he rarely bailed them out on little mistakes.

Nook
10-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Morrison was given a few chances to take the #1 role and run with it, and both times the Blades were forced to go out and get another goaltender because they didn't have confidence in his ability in the #1 role.

When Holtby graduated, Morrison was the #1 until the Blades acquired Stanford from P.A., then Stanford was absolutely stellar and make Lorne's choice easy.

Even last off-season, Lorne didn't have to go out and get another goaltender. He could've relied on Morrison, but it's obvious that he wasn't comfortable in riding a 20 year old goalie who had never really been a true #1.

I wouldn't say that Morrison is a bad goalie, but I don't think he has the tools to be a consistent number one in this league. If he had those tools, he would've been the starter when Holtby left.

As for the trade to Vancouver... I think it had more to do with letting Morrison spend his 20 year old year in his home province. I hope he does well and proves to be a stellar goalie for the Giants.

jayson
10-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Just remember Don Hay & Bonner dont give away players that have any upside, rarely does the other team who deals with the Giants come away the winner in a deal..

last year the bwk traded Darren Bestland for Matt Mckay and mckay was a force.

Lucic
10-05-2011, 02:53 PM
last year the bwk traded Darren Bestland for Matt Mckay and mckay was a force.

MacKay did little to nothing with the Giants. He was given every opportunity to contribute but he just wasn't able to fit into a Don Hay system. Bestland on the other hand was a good addition to the team. Statistically speaking Brandon won that trade. But stats don't tell the entire story. MacKay would have never produced like that if he stayed with the Giants.