PDA

View Full Version : Giants acquire Adam Morrison and Levi Bews from Blades

Lucic
10-04-2011, 07:09 PM
In exchange for Michael Burns, Zach Hodder, and a 4th round pick in the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft.

Link (http://www.whl.ca/article/giants-and-blades-complete-trade)

Lucic
10-04-2011, 07:12 PM
I like the deal. We desperately needed a goaltender and we really didn't have to give up anything of significance, IMO. Burns was the weakest link out of our 20 year old's and with Hodder sitting at home awaiting a trade he wasn't doing the Giants any good. I haven't seen much of Bews but at the very least he'll be another younger body with a little size.

JMoney1988
10-04-2011, 08:36 PM
I liked Bews when he was in saskatoon, Mo on the other hand, he wasn't the starter we thought he could be, some of his nights were awesome and some weren't, i hope we see him when you guys come here, so we can light him up ha ha......

lordstanley
10-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Yep Morrison was horrible on a very talented Blades team last year good luck to him in van city though bews on the other hand scored 1 goal in 60 career games just wasn't the power forward i thought he would be

johnnyradiant
10-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Yippee we will get to see a some time awesome starter. Sounds like an improvement on what we've seen here so far.

dondo
10-06-2011, 12:42 AM
He (Mo) was solid tonight, but I am concerned he will be hot and cold after reading some of the above comments. Maybe being the guy here will help him focus better. We definitely needed him tonight versus a scary Spokane squad that continues to look dangerous. I liked the effort of Bews tonight and I hope he can continue to bring that.

I think we gave up too much in the trade and that the Giants reeked of desperation in this deal. I still don't know why the Giants, who are in need of a good puck-moving defenseman threw once highly touted Hodder under the proverbial bus. I am sure that there is a whole lot more to this story, but by Bonner sending Hodder home and pulling him off the roster, he devalued his potential worth much more than playing him for the first ten games ever would.

Michael Burns was one of our more complete players and although you value him below Manning and Henry, there is no doubt he was contributing.

I think the Blades fans are going to like Burns game a lot and if Hodder ever gets the chance they might be pleasantly surprised to see him meet his potential.

We need Mo to be a real starter and Bews to be a potential top prospect to get value for what we gave up imo.

Lucic
10-06-2011, 12:50 AM
I think we gave up too much in the trade and that the Giants reeked of desperation in this deal. I still don't know why the Giants, who are in need of a good puck-moving defenseman threw once highly touted Hodder under the proverbial bus.

Hodder asked for a trade at the end of last season. And apparently that didn't change after participating in training camp. So it seems like Bonner had to make a move one way or another. And Hodder was highly touted but I really didn't see much in his game that gave me the impression he deserved all that hype. Also, considering he's had two shoulder surgeries so early in his career he's damaged goods, IMO.

Either way only time will tell who wins this deal.

dondo
10-06-2011, 01:01 AM
true -- but the flip side is that he's never really been healthy enough to compete at full level. I have seen flashes from him and with Hay grumbling about less than talented D-men tonight it seemed odd to me to not even have him on the roster after camp and some preseason.

I did not know about him asking for a trade and wonder if the team didn't have his back during his troubles. Which seems odd to me as well.

If Mo is better than Segal and Jensen then it will be worth it. I hate to see Burns go as he looked to bringing a complete game this season. I think the Blades and fans will enjoy his work ethic though.

I'm not sure why we had to add a 4th rounder though. I expect the Blades were shopping Morrison who doesn't have very good numbers .866 SV% and 4.5 GAA so far this year and barely above .900 career avg and Bews is still potential at this point.

Geddy Lee
10-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Chalk one up for Morrison. If Jensen was in net tonight, I don't believe there is any chance we would have won, or even got to overtime. A nice kid, but he's really got to go IMO. I thought Bews looked pretty good, especially for a young player. He looks solid out there. Of course, it's a pretty small sample... :rolleyes:

lostsheep
10-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Bews has potential, and has played better this year than at any time last year. He has to keep his feet moving and head in the game. He does forget to back check at times too. Mo will benifit from being the guy, and i hope he can focus and stay healthy. He can be hot and cold but hopefully after the summer he can get into it I wish both players all the best.

JMoney1988
10-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Just a side note, Darian has been released from Portland Pirates training camp, he may be coming back to the blades, could make Burns ride with the blades a little short, then again we have Trask and Paradis who I don't think we will give away.

reims
10-06-2011, 10:35 AM
trask is only 19, so he is not in the equation, but burns is along with paradis for the overage compettition with DD

lordstanley
10-06-2011, 11:51 AM
trask is only 19, so he is not in the equation, but burns is along with paradis for the overage compettition with DD

Trask is 20

reims
10-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Trask is 20

geeze and all this time i thought he was 19.....thanks for the correction, the 20 spots get a little more complicated now!...lol