PDA

View Full Version : Naturally, Royals rookie can score

pontcanna
10-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Naturally, Royals rookie can score

BY CLEVE DHEENSAW, TIMESCOLONIST.COM OCTOBER 4, 2011 10:25 PM

There are few who didn’t expect Buffalo Sabres third-round draft pick Kevin Sundher to be leading the Victoria Royals in scoring this season.

There are equally few who predicted American-born rookie Logan Nelson would be up there with him after five Western Hockey League games.

“I’m not getting too big a head and I’m staying grounded,” said Nelson, who has four goals and eight points to Sundher’s two goals and eight points.

Next on the list are Steven Hodges and Brandon Magee with six points each.

“Playing in the USHL last season really helped me adapt to the junior game,” said Nelson, the 18-year-old native of Minnesota, of his time in Junior A with the Des Moines Buccaneers.

“I find the WHL more physical but not that much faster. Maybe that’s why so far the puck is finding me and I’m finding it,” added the all-rounder, a former midfielder in lacrosse, catcher in baseball and quarterback in football.

This has all been a whirlwind for the six-foot-two Nelson, who was only officially signed by the Royals during training camp, and attends Grade 12 at Vic High.

He has been a find.

“Logan is a heady, smart player,” said Royals GM and head coach Marc Habscheid.

“He thinks the game and is a good skater.”

But the WHL isn’t about accepting where you are. Players who choose this route do so knowing the WHL is a hockey factory.

“I think Logan has got another gear in him yet,” said Habscheid.

“He’s a laid back guy and it’s our job to help get him to another level that we know he has in him.”

Nelson knows the score.

“I realize I need more consistency and more defensive-zone awareness and need to get back and be aware of the player coming down on my shoulder,” he said.

That message is being hammered home.

“Marc [Habscheid] is not going to be your best friend, even when you’re playing well, but he’s always there for you with words and advice to make you a better player. But he’s never in your face about it, either, if he’s displeased.”

Although stressing to Nelson that hockey is a two-way game, Habscheid said the American has a rare gift that coaching staff is trying to nurture.

“Everybody can be taught to play defence, but not everybody can be taught to score,” said Habscheid.

And the proof is right there in the Royals’ early-season scoring stats.

Victoria (3-2) entertains the Medicine Hat Tigers

(2-2) in a back-to-back home set Thursday and Friday at 7 p.m. both nights inside Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre.