PDA

View Full Version : overagers

booboo
10-06-2011, 10:24 AM
If you look at the other teams rosters in the WHL, there doesn't appear to be too many quality overagers available this year. With just a week left before teams must declare their overagers I suppose the Wheaties could keep the 2 they have and trade for one anytime during the season. Anyone hear any rumours or what are your thoughts on the subject?

Joe Hallenback
10-06-2011, 11:42 AM
My thoughts are

Ciarelli and Melnychuk stay. Ciarelli has been very good so far this year. If he can get 50 points this season,win faceoffs,play hard physically and kill penalties he will be a hell of a player. Brodie is really under rated by Wheat King fans. With all the young D he will add some leadership and guidance on the back end as well as his solid overall play.

I am also sure KM already knows who he wants and is probably waiting on Clouston to evaluate the current group of players before they make there move.

I would be trying to pry Jimmy Bubnick out of Calgary. How good would a second line of Ferland/Bubnick/Walker be?

lordstanley
10-06-2011, 11:53 AM
We will probably have Paradis and Burns open for a trade with Dziurzynski back not sure if brandon would be interested in either of those guys

sbtatter
10-06-2011, 01:16 PM
We will probably have Paradis and Burns open for a trade with Dziurzynski back not sure if brandon would be interested in either of those guys

maybe Paradis? But we didn't go after him when he was in MJ, so not sure.
I wonder if tri Cities have any O/A's left?
And would Dubnyk be welcomed back to bdn, he was just released.....

lordstanley
10-06-2011, 01:27 PM
maybe Paradis? But we didn't go after him when he was in MJ, so not sure.
I wonder if tri Cities have any O/A's left?
And would Dubnyk be welcomed back to bdn, he was just released.....

Tri City has 4 overagers Hughesman Shinnimin Sutherland and Wilgosh i think wilgosh comes from the brandon area so maybe him ?

Tamal_SC
10-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Swift also has an extra O/A right now. Vause, Hoban, Wagner and Groenheyde. With them just adding the goalie I am guessing that it will come down to Hoban or Wagner being the odd man out....with the majority of people thinking that it will be Wagner. Wonder if he would be a fit?

booboo
10-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Tri-cities just traded Brock Sutherland to Calgary so there goes the idea of getting one of their overage forwards. The Wheatkings are certainly running out of options. Dillon Wagner who has knee problems is not an option--better to go without a 20 year old than just a warm body to fill that spot.

patsdude114
10-06-2011, 07:33 PM
This is a very weak year for 20yr olds in the WHL, i dont think i have ever seen it this bad before (at least since ive actually cared enough to follow every single team like i do now)

Any decent 20yr olds from the OHL being released? As there has been some 20yr olds swapping leagues in the past... Just recently Jacob De Serres went to the QMJHL & won a CHL title to boot. Also i remember prob about 8 to 10 yrs ago when the Pats brought a 20yr old goalie by the name of Andy Adams over from the OHL after he was released.

Not saying it will happen but i guess there is always the chance as well.

dagley
10-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Gallimore out of Seattle might come at a cheap price, he can put the puck in the net and has played in the division.

Trevor
10-06-2011, 11:49 PM
I agree with Joe, I'd like to see KM land Bubnick. He'd really solidify the centre position, and likely would come reasonably cheap. Also, with the Hitmen trading for Brock Sutherland today, that gives them 5 O/A's right now, so they have a bit of a log jam.

sbtatter
10-07-2011, 08:06 AM
I agree with Joe, I'd like to see KM land Bubnick. He'd really solidify the centre position, and likely would come reasonably cheap. Also, with the Hitmen trading for Brock Sutherland today, that gives them 5 O/A's right now, so they have a bit of a log jam.
Isn't Bubnick inconsistent and lazy? Those are 2 dangerous characteristics for an O/A to have. If he is neither of these, I apologize in advance!!

lostsheep
10-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Bubnick is one of the players i would have like to see come to the Blades last year, im not sure if he is hot and cold, but always played well against us.

sbtatter
10-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Maybe we'll get DD, he and Ferland on a line together would be an interesting one!!

lostsheep
10-07-2011, 09:13 AM
that could ba a wrecking ball of a line! :) maybe we could recoupe some of what we gave up for Schenn!

sbtatter
10-07-2011, 09:42 AM
that could ba a wrecking ball of a line! :) maybe we could recoupe some of what we gave up for Schenn!
It would be a lot of fun to watch, horrible to play against!!

I wonder what the value of DD is? O/A's usually garner between a 3rd and 6th rounder don't they?

Brandon
10-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Bubnick would be a good get, my hope is the Hitmen will hang onto him, he is a good player who battled through a lot of injury and a bad team last year. The lazy tag isn't fair. Maybe a hair inconsistent, but he brings more than scoring. Gritty kid who plays a hard game, he came to camp in great shape and looks like he has something to prove.

The hitmen have 5 with the trade but Snider is gone as soon as Driedger returns, why keep a below average o/a goalie. There is a rumor that Ben Wilson won't be returning from his AHL camp so he may be lost, I guess we will see. The trade makes sense if Wilson isn't returning.