PDA

View Full Version : Giants 5 Royals 1, October 10, 2011

scrunt
10-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Steve Ewen, Vancouver Province:

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Giants+Royals+struggling+with+injury+plagued+roste rs/5527731/story.html (http://www.theprovince.com/news/Giants+Royals+struggling+with+injury+plagued+roste rs/5527731/story.html)

I'm glad to see Tyler Stahl won't be in the lineup, as I think the guy is a dangerous cheap shot artist who is a poster child for the types of reckless hits that don't belong in the game. :burningmad:

I didn't realize until just now that Tyler Stahl was the target of the flying elbow from PG's Inglis that resulted in a 10 game suspension. I see that Stahl was penalized for a hit to the head in the third period of the game versus Victoria the night before the Inglis hit, and elbowing and cross checking penalties in the game of the incident. Maybe there is a connection? While I don't cheer for players getting injured, I thought it was fitting to see Stahl getting a taste of his own medicine. Frontier justice I guess.

So with nothing better to do on a rainy Thanksgiving morning, I thought I would look back and see why I harbour such a hatred of Tyler Stahl:

2010/11 games between Giants and Bruins - selected Tyler Stahl penalties (I did not take note of the numerous roughing or other fouls, just the more dangerous ones):

- Sept 24-10 - slashing
- Jan 2-11 - boarding
- Jan 23-11 - boarding, charging
- Feb 25-11 - checking from behind
- Mar 9-11 - charging, slashing, 2nd fight
-
Also on March 9:

Dondo wrote:
The Giants pushed their game up in the second, but lost a few players due to hits on and completely over, the edge. Tyler Stahl levelled M. Burns behind the net, connecting shoulder to head, on a moderately blindside shot, throwing the player up and into the boards as his head smacked against the back glass as he was coming down. Burns had to be taken out on a stretcher, no call. Stahl later showed what a classy fellow he was by deliberately and mercenarily hacking at the back of a Giants player’s legs while skating to the bench. This lead to a line-brawl in which, Lamoureux of all people took Stahl to task for his cheap act of stupidity.
I also see he got a major for elbowing in the playoffs last year against Spokane.

Anyway, it looks like Stahl has planted a lot of seeds in the WHL over the past few seasons, and it looks like Charles Inglis finally decided it was time for a harvest.

Not expecting much of a crowd today, but hopefully the players will show up with some energy.

scrunt
10-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Giants say Thanks as Royals are in a Giving mood

Or maybe we should thank the schedule maker, as it was clearly a tired Royals team that came to town to face the Giants. Playing its fourth game in four and a half days, Victoria looked sluggish, except for a 10 minute span at the end of the second period and early in the third.

Victoria left Giants unchecked in dangerous spots all game, whether standing alone in the slot, beside the goal, or coming in off the rush. Hamilton let in a few marginal goals (the first one looked soft, but Gallagher's shot may have been deflected by the defender), although he was not the biggest contributor to his team's loss.

The Gallagher-Henry-Tverdon line was on fire, with Gally in on all five Giants' goals, also getting an honorary first assist on the Royals' only goal courtesy of a brutal giveaway while trying to get fancy skating out from behind his own net.

I thought the Bews-Franson-Vetterl line showed lots of jump and had a lot of energy on the forecheck, but were not rewarded on the scoreboard. Martinook had some decent shifts, as did the Burns boys, but Lamorieux and Sward didn't do much. Houck got very little ice time, but didn't seem out of place when I noticed him. Orban looked a bit overwhelmed on defence, getting beat through the neutral zone a few times.

Morrison had little to do for most of the game, and had long stretches without facing any shots. He made a few decent saves, and was unlucky to lose the shutout due to a gaffe by his own teammates.

The Giants had a very good forecheck, turning the puck back at Victoria's blueline or in the neutral zone most of the game. The Giants' breakout was also good, except for the aforementioned 10 minute stretch when Victoria was able to take the game to Vancouver for a change.

I was glad to see the Giants were able to come in and play with vigour to start the game, and the three early goals sealed it up and took away any energy that Victoria might have had. Overall, a good win and the type of game we should be making habit of winning.

dondo
10-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Giants Ravage Royals
Vancouver 5 Victoria 1

The Turkey Bowl yielded great success for the home squad as the boys were tryptophan-free and ready to play in the afternoon tilt; well one line was certainly ready to play. I didn’t see this one as I was working so it’ll be more of box-score interpretation recap. Sad to see that the Giants carelessness robbed their goalie of a shutout. The Giants have been far too casual with the puck this young season and it has cost them goals and games and there is no excuse for it. They simply need to be better at taking care of the puck. They need to stop making those extremely low percentage passes and have a bit of vision before firing the puck up ice. They also need to work on their breakouts. I know we have been spoiled with excellent puck-moving defensemen with great vision over the past years, but that’s no reason to throw it all out of the window. That said, Gally was a one-man wrecking crew scoring three goals and adding two helpers, dominating all over the ice. Tvrdon and Henry each had a goal and two assists. It was the top line all the way in this one and the three stars reflected that.

Brendan Gallagher opened the scoring a mere 32 seconds into the game. Assists went to Marek Tvrdon and James Henry. Henry found the scoresheet about 4 minutes later, assisted by Gallagher and Tyler Hart. Gallagher assisted on a Tvrdon goal mid-way in the first giving the Giants a 3 goal bulge going into the first intermission. The G’s minimized the shots that got through to Adam Morrison giving him a chance to get his first goose-egg as a Giant. Gallagher scored a solo effort in the second, pushing the home team’s lead to 4 and Gally’s stats to 2G and 2A. Victoria finally hit the board in the third, capitalizing on a very poor give-away that some one I was chatting with said should have been counted against the players and not the goalie. Kind of disappointing for the boys to let their goalie down like that. Gally scored his hat-trick marker in the third assisted by the usual suspects on this night, Tvrdon and Henry. No fights, so the fans were not treated to all the trimmings, but I am sure they went home sated.

The Giants out-shot the Royals 30-19, backing off a bit in the third. Both teams were 0 for 3 on the PP and to be honest the Giants PP has to be a whole lot better. They are usually generating chances, but really need to stop making those extra passes and take a few more shots, esp close-in. The G’s have a few days off before taking on the T-Birds at the Coliseum. As usual on Fridays the puck drops at 7:30 PDT.

Three Stars

1) Brendan Gallagher
2) James Henry
3) Marek Tvrdon

Dondo’s Hardhat: By stats alone it has to go to Gally again, he put the team on his back and won it for them and the fans.

btw: any clarification on the specifics of the game and who shined other than the top boys, would be appreciated. I always like to know how the boys played in blow-out kind of games.

bruiserfan
10-14-2011, 04:51 PM
I'll start with stating that I have seen Tyler Stahn make some dumb moves. However, there's a reason he's drafted and all your other goons are not. For the most part, his elbows are down and he gets the other team pissed off! He's got a heck of a shot and can play hockey! All his fighting majors are from guys that are pissed because he made them look bad on a huge, clean hit. I have seen Wes pull much more stupid moves...heck even in our own rink in Chilliwack I've seen it! When you can time a good clean hit the way he can you are going to get mixed up in some of the other ****. He is not an example of the head shot hits that hockey is having a problem with but thather exposes the guy who have their heads down. If you ask me, these guys are more responsible for the direction the game is going. Ringette rules are not far off!

Lucic
10-15-2011, 01:39 AM
I'll start with stating that I have seen Tyler Stahn make some dumb moves. However, there's a reason he's drafted and all your other goons are not.

He was drafted because he was a good hitter and was willing to back up his physical play with his fists. But all of that has changed since early last season. After he got beaten up pretty good by Jacob Doty and was forced to wear a full cage for a few months he decided to play even more aggressive and at times recklessly knowing he wouldn't have to atone for his actions. And unfortunately that has hurt him more than it has helped him. It also makes him more of a target for the opposing teams.

Ringette rules are not far off!

Sadly I agree with you here. Although this discussion about Stahl has little to do with that debate, IMO. There are far too many other factors that come into play here.