PDA

View Full Version : Decision Day

reims
10-12-2011, 10:48 AM
heres a link to watch the decision live...the official announcement should be around 430 cst.
http://www.whl.ca/webcast

Rockets1231
10-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Well considering Kelowna hosted it in 04, I would say it's probably a two horse race between the Blades and Rebels. I suppose it would depend on if they took that into account or not, but Kelowna hosting it would surprise me. On the other hand when Kelowna did host it, it was a huge success so they may want to go back there. Saskatoon just hosted the WJHC's so will that hurt or help their chances?

I will say this, being from Kelowna, but living in Saskatoon for the past 13 years, I really hope the Blades don't get it. I'm not saying this to be a troll or anything, I'm just saying what I've seen from living here. I've been to a lot of Blades games over the years and for the most part their fan base is awful. Yes, the team was awful for a long time and that will hurt any team's attendance, but even the last few years when the team has been one of the best in the league there were still games I went to where the attendance was under 5,000 people. For a city for over 220,000, there is no excuse for not drawing at least 7,000 for every game, whether the team is good or bad. Kelowna draws 6,000 to every game and the city is half the size, and they would sell a lot more tickets too, but Prospera Place only holds about 6,100. Lots of people will come on here and say "Well we drew 10-11 thousand every playoff game last year." Yes well every team draws more during playoffs. I went to a game last year where the announced attendance on a Friday night was just over 3,600. On a Friday night, with a first place team, you can't even get 4,000 fans? Gimme a break! I've been to lots of WHL cities where every time you walk down the street you hear someone talking about the local team, see a flag waving on a car window, or someone in a jersey or jacket, or wearing a team hat. It's very rare to see that in Saskatoon and I think that says a lot. I really wish the fans would embrace the team here more, because they really have had a great team the last few years.

I'm not saying the Memorial Cup wouldn't be successful, in fact I think it would be a huge success, just like the World Jr's were, because the people here really know how to throw a party and would embrace the event, but I think that the fans should prove to the League and the CHL that they deserve to host it, by showing a lot more support to their local team before they are given the honour to host the Memorial Cup.

Rocketsfan
10-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Well considering Kelowna hosted it in 04, I would say it's probably a two horse race between the Blades and Rebels. I suppose it would depend on if they took that into account or not, but Kelowna hosting it would surprise me.

I totally agree, just have to see if the committee takes into account prior hosting success, but just can't see us hosting 9 years apart

Good luck Blades and Rebels fans, one of those 2 teams will likely get it.

Bladesguy
10-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Yes the attendance has not been great over the years. It does seem to be getting better as the Blades have had over 4000 for every game except for last night. Tuesday is always a tough draw though. The Season Ticket base is also up apparently so the city is slowly getting on the teams back after three pretty good years in a row. I think in the next few years the Blades attendance will be averaging where it should be!

Tidball
10-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Well considering Kelowna hosted it in 04, I would say it's probably a two horse race between the Blades and Rebels. I suppose it would depend on if they took that into account or not, but Kelowna hosting it would surprise me. On the other hand when Kelowna did host it, it was a huge success so they may want to go back there. Saskatoon just hosted the WJHC's so will that hurt or help their chances?

I will say this, being from Kelowna, but living in Saskatoon for the past 13 years, I really hope the Blades don't get it. I'm not saying this to be a troll or anything, I'm just saying what I've seen from living here. I've been to a lot of Blades games over the years and for the most part their fan base is awful. Yes, the team was awful for a long time and that will hurt any team's attendance, but even the last few years when the team has been one of the best in the league there were still games I went to where the attendance was under 5,000 people. For a city for over 220,000, there is no excuse for not drawing at least 7,000 for every game, whether the team is good or bad. Kelowna draws 6,000 to every game and the city is half the size, and they would sell a lot more tickets too, but Prospera Place only holds about 6,100. Lots of people will come on here and say "Well we drew 10-11 thousand every playoff game last year." Yes well every team draws more during playoffs. I went to a game last year where the announced attendance on a Friday night was just over 3,600. On a Friday night, with a first place team, you can't even get 4,000 fans? Gimme a break! I've been to lots of WHL cities where every time you walk down the street you hear someone talking about the local team, see a flag waving on a car window, or someone in a jersey or jacket, or wearing a team hat. It's very rare to see that in Saskatoon and I think that says a lot. I really wish the fans would embrace the team here more, because they really have had a great team the last few years.

I'm not saying the Memorial Cup wouldn't be successful, in fact I think it would be a huge success, just like the World Jr's were, because the people here really know how to throw a party and would embrace the event, but I think that the fans should prove to the League and the CHL that they deserve to host it, by showing a lot more support to their local team before they are given the honour to host the Memorial Cup.

There are a group of dedicated fans that deserve it. But other than that the attendance has been god aweful. Im honestly hoping for RD or SASK. Nothing against Kelowna but thats far away.

fro14
10-12-2011, 04:26 PM
we got it!!!!!!!!

auch07
10-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Gotta love no sound on webcast

Shootmaster_44
10-12-2011, 04:30 PM

I do agree that junior support of the local team should be a factor in deciding this. But what it will boil down to is the almighty dollar. The one thing I wonder is what the casual hockey fan will do? The CIS' University Cup has been awarded to Saskatoon for 2013 and 2014. Thus, the March before the 2013 Memorial Cup will see the University Cup played.

When Saskatoon hosted it in the past, the U of S Huskies games drew 10,000ish people for each of their games. Considering that the hockey Dogs draw under 1,000 for their games and really don't have the following of the football team, this is outstanding. Since the large part of the crowd is made up of casual hockey fans and not diehard Huskies fans, this would be the same crowd that would make up the Memorial Cup crowd. I haven't heard what ticket prices will be for the University Cup, but if they are more than $30-$40 per game, I can see the casual fans possibly skipping the Memorial Cup if they paid for the University Cup a few months earlier.

The other thing with this thrown into the mix is that the Blades have to be playing very close to the Memorial Cup. It will be hard for the Blades to keep the hype up on the tournament if they aren't playing. So I hope they do it.

Just noticed the press conference is on but has no sound. Doh!

Shootmaster_44
10-12-2011, 04:32 PM
we got it!!!!!!!!

I hope that was what the muted press conference said.

JMoney1988
10-12-2011, 04:34 PM
All I know, they said from what I saw through his lips, saskatoon blades 2013 memorial cup

Rocketsfan
10-12-2011, 04:36 PM
congrats Blades fans, I'm sure you'll put on a great tourney in 2013

Trevor
10-12-2011, 04:36 PM
The Blades website is saying they won the bid. Congrats to Saskatoon. I'm sure you guys will enjoy it just as much as we did in Brandon!

Shootmaster_44
10-12-2011, 04:39 PM
The Blades website is saying they won the bid. Congrats to Saskatoon. I'm sure you guys will enjoy it just as much as we did in Brandon!

Yup Twitter is all over it. What a year 2013 will be for hockey in Saskatoon. The University Cup is in March and then the Memorial Cup in May. The Saskatoon area just needs to add the Royal Bank Cup and the Midget AAA tournament and the national hockey media can just stay in the Bridge City all spring.

chalk_one_up
10-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Unfortunate. I think I hate the organization because of their fans (some of them anyways). Will be interesting to see what kind of team they will have in 2013.

auch07
10-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Ignorance is bliss isn't it. You cant lump everyone together because of a couple of idiots. EVERY team has its idiot fans....just the way of the world.

Nook
10-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Unfortunate. I think I hate the organization because of their fans (some of them anyways). Will be interesting to see what kind of team they will have in 2013.

Your team has idiot fans, too. Not saying that you're one of them, but you can judge an organization or a fan base based upon the actions of a few people on the WHL white board.

It wouldn't be "unfortunate" to me if your team hosted.

To each their own, though.

lordstanley
10-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Way to go Blades Brass woooooooooo we got it we have alot to work to do But Saskatoon will put on a great show :clap:

lordstanley
10-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Dziurzynski will still not get traded mark my words Nicholls will before him or even trask

auch07
10-12-2011, 05:08 PM
If the Blades were to get rid of the weakest player I would say Paradis is the odd man out. But as far as best return I would say DD or Trask. Perhaps a pkg deal with one of them along with Nicholls is even a possibility. Whatever it takes to get the most return without crushing the team for this season.

Bepoleon
10-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Congrats Saskatoon! Lorne will be sure to make the Blades a top notch team in 2013.

Trav
10-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Darian will be traded, the only question is when, in the next while or at the trade deadline. The Blades would be stupid not to trade one if not their best player.

Hopefully someone will be willing to give up some good younger forwards (93's or 94's)

Congrats to the Blades, now their attendance better go up, starting now, last nite's attendance was brutal.

curwie
10-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Dziurzynski will still not get traded mark my words Nicholls will before him or even trask

I hope your right. I can live with either of these two gone.

Great news on the memorial cup!

Nook
10-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Thing is with the 20 year olds is that you almost need to trade them now because once other teams settle with their 20s, it becomes impossible to trade them for anything but another 20 year old and maybe a pick.

I suppose the odd team may carry two 20s and add another at the deadline, but I doubt it will be one that is willing to mortgage the future for a playoff run.

Rockets1231
10-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Congrats to the Blades, I went to the World Jr's hosted in Saskatoon so I know it's going to be a great party. You can count on me being there, now I hope my Rockets are there for me to cheer on!

LifelongChiefsFan
10-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Congrats Blades fans! You guys will do a wonderful job hosting the Memorial Cup. Having your team in the tournament isn't a bad prize either. :thumb:

Wildeyes
10-12-2011, 08:24 PM
i guess that this would be the only way that they could get in the memorial cup. It wont matter if they choke now LOL :D

congrats blades lol;)

the Royal Flush
10-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Congratulations to Saskatoon.In my opinion probably one of the nicest cities in Canada.Looking forward to spending 10 days there in 2013.

PJ Awesome
10-12-2011, 11:53 PM
I've lived here all my life, some parts of this city are NOT good places^ but I love this city regardless, so pumped that we finally have the tourny again

lordstanley
10-13-2011, 02:02 AM
Lorne said they are gonna have 20 returning players so thats huge we only lose the 3 20's we have this seasonm thats it just another reason why we wont do to much if anythingm they will do more next year before the trading deadline they are gonna be a good team this year to build up some confidense

PJ Awesome
10-13-2011, 03:55 AM
Is it just me, or did this franchise just get a gigantic boost today!?

lordstanley
10-13-2011, 06:31 AM
Is it just me, or did this franchise just get a gigantic boost today!?

Nope it aint just you lol

Joe Hallenback
10-13-2011, 07:49 AM
Congrats on getting the Memorial cup

How good do you guys think you will be for next season?

Your 20s will be Cox and Collins who will be very good 20s. But if Nicholls comes back that would be amazing.

Your team is stacked with alot of very good 93s and 94s so it will be a veteran group with real good chemistry. I

Hopefully you can make an impact trade for a guy like McNeil that would really help

Tamal_SC
10-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Congrats to the Saskatoon Blades and their fans on hosting the 2013 Mem Cup. Looking forward to getting the chance to come up and see the best juniors in the country battling for the Cup!

wango tango
10-13-2011, 01:03 PM
http://www.saskatoonhomepage.ca/index.php?option=com_content&id=35664&task=view

to me the interesting part of the story from les lazaruk is...

"my feeling is the majority victory on the first ballot of voting by W-H-L Governors for the Blades' bid was because their "guaranteed" profit was substantially larger than the "projected" profits from either Red Deer or Kelowna. Credit Union Centre and its 15,000 seats were a huge part of that...meaning, once again, that size does matter!"

i read this to mean, the saskatoon bid 'guaranteed' money was a lot higher then the 'maybe/projected' money from red deer and kelowna.

i also see it was won on the first ballot. hard to argue against a bid supported in person by the province, city, and corporations with everything going for it.

excited to welcome junior hockey fans from across canada!