PDA

View Full Version : W.H.L. Board of Governers to meet

Scout
06-13-2005, 10:05 AM
The Board will meet Tuesday and Wednesday to discuss some issues.

Scout ( Courtesy M.H. news )

WHL to discuss expansion
Board will meet, but not vote, about adding another team

Canadian Press
June 11, 2005

The subject of expansion to Edmonton will be part of the Western Hockey
League's board of governors meetings next week, but commissioner Ron Robison
said there won't likely be a vote on it.

Robison called the WHL's recent decision to add a franchise in Chilliwack,
British Columbia, in 2006-07 "unexpected" given that when the Everett
Silvertips joined the league in 2003, the intention was to remain a 20-team
league with a balanced five teams per division.

Now, the league has to decide what direction it wants to go when the team
owners meet Tuesday and Wednesday in Calgary, Alberta, Robison said.

"If we were to contemplate further expansion, it would be highly unlikely
we'd do so at this meeting," he said Thursday. "It would probably be
revisited more in the fall."

The Edmonton Oilers have made it known for some time they want a WHL team,
either by purchasing one and moving it to the Alberta capital or via
expansion.

The NHL club's recent decision to suspend operations of its AHL team in that
city for next season was seen as a clearing of the way for a WHL franchise,
although the Oilers denied that was the reason.

"We really see Edmonton as an immediate priority as far as analyzing the
merits of their interest and how we might be able to accommodate them down
the road," Robison said.

Victoria, Nanaimo, B.C., Winnipeg and Grande Prairie, Alberta, have also
expressed interest in joining the WHL at different times.

Last month, the WHL approved the sale of the Tri-City Americans to a group
that included NHL players Stu Barnes and Olaf Kolzig, Americans GM Bob Tory
and local businessman Dennis Loman and, at the same time, granted an
expansion franchise in Chilliwack to the Americans' former ownership group
of Brian Burke, Glen Sather and Darryl Porter. Chilliwack begins play in
2006-07.

"It would be unlikely we would be expanding by two teams '06-07, but that is
part of the discussions," Robison said.

Robison said an expansion fee had yet to be established. He would not
confirm a recent published report putting the price at $2.2 million.

Saint John, New Brunswick, and St. John's, Newfoundland, recently joined the
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League for $3 million apiece.

The WHL won't go into an NHL market without the endorsement of the NHL team
and the Oilers have made it clear they won't endorse a major junior team in
their city unless they own it.

The most recent WHL team there in 1996, the Edmonton Ice, moved to
Cranbrook, B.C., after two seasons.

The Oilers were struggling financially at the time and the Save the Oilers
campaign drew interest away from the Ice.

Ice owner Ed Chynoweth, who made the decision to move to Cranbrook, is
chairman of the WHL's board of governors.

WHL rules may see some changes
» Expect some tweaking, but no radical changes, to the WHL rulebook for the
upcoming season.

WHL vice-president of hockey Richard Doerksen said the league's member teams
will be given five proposals for rule changes at the league's annual general
meeting.

» Of the five proposed changes, Doerksen said he is optimistic that two will
be made. The changes he would like to see ratified this year are the return
of the tag-up offside rule and goalies receiving a minor penalty for delay
of game if they freeze the puck unnecessarily.

» Doerksen said three other proposed changes include moving the goal-line
back, regulating the size of goaltender equipment and introducing a shootout
if a 5-minute, 4-on-4 overtime period does not decide the game in
regular-season play.

-Darren Steinke, Medicine Hat (Alberta) News

The_Vulk
06-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Of the five proposed changes, Doerksen said he is optimistic that two will be made. The changes he would like to see ratified this year are the return of the tag-up offside rule and goalies receiving a minor penalty for delay of game if they freeze the puck unnecessarily.
I can see alot of fans, including myself, agreing with for sure the tag-up rule, and the freezing of the puck to help maintain pressure in the zone = more exciting hockey.

The goalie equipment will have to wait until after the NHL's CBA (and its requirements on goalie equipement) be first implemented, before I see use doing it.

And I don't like the shootout for the WHL. In IIHF tournaments, yes, I can see it, but not here.

Flathead
06-13-2005, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't mind Edmonton getting a team, with the support of the Oilers they would probally do better this time around.
As for the rule changes, I like them all except the shout out. What's wrong with a tie? I know I enjoy watching a game that can be decided at any moment. It's close, intense hockey. I've never been to a boring game that ended in a tie, it's always good exciting hockey. The next day at coffee you talk about the save that salvaged the tie or the one that "whoever" rang of the crossbar with a minute left in o.t. No longer would you be able to say there's no "I" in team, hockey anyways. Hockey is a TEAM sport that should be decided by the TEAM.

Stay-Puft
06-14-2005, 10:37 AM
I would enjoy seeing the tag-up rule come back. I get tired of the whistles if you keep it behind for too long, playing patty-cake behind the line that defensemen tend to do, etc. I would like to see them get rid of the red line if they want to really make the game more exciting. Get rid of the trap.

Beaner
06-14-2005, 12:30 PM
I'd like to see them add-in the tag up rule - and then hold off on eliminating the red line to see how the tag up works to improve the game.

Im all for penalizing goalies for freezing the puck when they could play it. Too many times goalies freeze the puck when no one is even close to them - let's keep the game moving.

As to shootouts - I dont know - I dont like ties, I dont like the idea of 3-3 on hockey, but I'm not a big fan of a shootout. Playing till there is a winner for Juniors is unrealistic; I think for these kids considering they have school and the bus trips. Maybe increasing the O/T to 10 minutes of 4-4 would help a lot. But I can live with it how it is now for Juniors.

There is no reason why the pros couldnt play till there is a winner (4-4). A lot of guys in the pros only see 10 mins of ice time a game. Let them all play and reward teams that actually have some depth. They are Pros after all.

rinkrat
06-14-2005, 01:04 PM
As wierd as this sounds,eliminating the red line would increase icings! The teams would continually go for the "homerun" pass and cause icings.I think they should get rid of no touch icing as well.Too many stopages in play.

Scout
06-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Hey i'm all for the goalie getting a minor for freezing the puck for no reason. So many times i've seen him freeze it in a close game with time running out and the ref holding back blowing the whistle hoping the goalie will play it. I sit and shake my head sometimes at how much time ticks away. If they do it and call delay of game i hope the league makes them have consistency on the call from ref to ref.

Scout

Jovorock
06-14-2005, 01:22 PM
I think they should get rid of no touch icing as well.Too many stopages in play.
No way, this is the only rule that the CHL doesn't follow the NHL and it should stay. One injury for a defenseman per year is worth keeping the no touch icing.

I think the CHL should stay with what ever the NHL does, if they eliminate the red line and bring back tag up then the CHL should follow suit. If the NHL doesn't bring these rules then the CHL shouldn't.

I heard that US college is really shotting them selves in the foot eliminating body checks like womens hockey. That is stupid and will hurt the development of those players when they try to make the NHL after college.

Beaner
06-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Have to agree Jovo - they have to stick with whatever the NHL does, we are a development league.

No touch icing has to stay in the game - the potential risk is not worth the time it saves or the excitement 2 guys racing for the puck achieve. I really hope the NHL brings this in.

Flathead
06-15-2005, 12:27 PM
As wierd as this sounds,eliminating the red line would increase icings! The teams would continually go for the "homerun" pass and cause icings.I think they should get rid of no touch icing as well.Too many stopages in play.

I'm with ya Rinkrat, the no touch icing does take away from the excitement and flow of the game. Mabye if it's an obvious icing call it no touch, otherwise let them skate for it, too many times the icing could be negated with a little hustle.

Beaner
06-15-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm with ya Rinkrat, the no touch icing does take away from the excitement and flow of the game. Mabye if it's an obvious icing call it no touch, otherwise let them skate for it, too many times the icing could be negated with a little hustle.

That defeats the whole point of no touch icing - This rule has nothing to do with speed or flow of the game - its all about safety. There has been more than 1 guy who has had his career/season ruined by getting run into the boards, chasing after an icing.

It's just not worth the risk. Sometimes player safety has to come first, over excitement.

Scout
06-15-2005, 10:13 PM
Courtesy Western Hockey League web page:

WHL Headlines Archive

WHL AGM CONCLUDES
Created: Jun 15, 2005

CALGARY, AB - The Western Hockey League Annual General Meeting concluded today following two days of meetings June 14th and June 15th in Calgary.

During their proceedings the WHL Board of Governors discussed the following:

The WHL discussed the Canadian Development Model with representatives from Hockey Canada and indicated it would continue to work with hockey constituents on the various components of the Canadian Development Model.

The WHL believes strongly in a structure which provides the best possible developmental and educational benefits for Canadian players and ensure the top players remain in the Canadian system.

The WHL reviewed the possible rule changes for the upcoming 2005-06 season. The WHL strongly endources the changes which will be discussed at the CHL Board of Directors Meetings in Montreal, June 21-22.

The rule changes include, a minor penalty will be assessed to the goaltender that unnecessarily freezes the puck in his goal crease when it could be played, the tag-up rule for clearing the zone and the streamlining of goaltender equipment.

The WHL also adopted a new regulation which will ensure clubs participating in the WHL Championship final series will travel by air should the distance between the two clubs be considered excessive.

The Western Hockey League also outlined the bid guideline of the 2007 MasterCard Memorial Cup Championship.

WHL member clubs interested in submitting a bid to host the 2007 MasterCard Memorial Cup must indicate their intentions to the WHL Office by July 15, 2005.

The WHL also announced for the upcoming 2005-06 regular season and 2006 WHL playoffs, webcasting of all 720 WHL regular season games and the entire 2006 WHL Playoffs. Further details regarding the WHL webcasts will be announced at a later date.

The WHL also outlined the plans to develop an extensive WHL Alumni program at both the League and Club level. The WHL Alumni program will provide the opportunity for former WHL players, officials and coaches to maintain an active association with League and Club activities.

© 2004-2005 Western Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.Live Broadcasts / Team SitesInjury ListNews LinksNHL DraftRecords and AwardsWHL Special EventsEastern ConferenceWestern ConferenceHistoryFAQSRule BookWHL and the CHLMemorial CupAll-Time WHL Player IndexProtected Player ListTeam DirectoryWHL OfficialsWHL SuppliersContact Us

Tinner
06-15-2005, 11:02 PM
the most annoying thing is the use of the stick/arm/whatever to temporairly hold up another player or the obstruction rule.

The Dub needs to be proactive, rather than reacting to the NHL, and clamp down on obstruction infractions. Another issue would be to eliminate the "traps" by whatever means.

Stay-Puft
06-16-2005, 09:36 AM
I think the traps would go away by eliminating the red line (2 line passes).

ihlemic10
06-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Atleast in that meeting they announced the League wide webcasts. Thats a big plus if you ask me.

rinkrat
06-16-2005, 04:56 PM
Atleast in that meeting they announced the League wide webcasts. Thats a big plus if you ask me.

Sounds great.I wonder how much they will charge?

The_Vulk
06-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Sounds great.I wonder how much they will charge?
No!

Don't even think it will be a pay-per-view. :mad:

From having watched the QmjHL's championship series via web-casting, they have lots of ways of advertising without making it a PPV on top of it.

rinkrat
06-16-2005, 05:20 PM
No!

Don't even think it will be a pay-per-view. :mad:

From having watched the QmjHL's championship series via web-casting, they have lots of ways of advertising without making it a PPV on top of it.
Free would be nice,but there are already teams charging for it.I know Kamloops does.

Flathead
06-17-2005, 03:03 PM
I think the traps would go away by eliminating the red line (2 line passes).
What's to say they wouldn't just play a deeper trap?? Removing the red line in my opinion would not eliminate the trap.

Flathead
06-17-2005, 03:15 PM
That defeats the whole point of no touch icing - This rule has nothing to do with speed or flow of the game - its all about safety. There has been more than 1 guy who has had his career/season ruined by getting run into the boards, chasing after an icing.

It's just not worth the risk. Sometimes player safety has to come first, over excitement.

Well they have to do something with the icings!! My god the amount they call it is insane. 9 times out of ten a player sees the puck being iced on their right hand side, so they turn to the left, the puck goes by them and it's ANOTHER ICING! Whew, the excitment! :rolleyes: Why not wave those off and make them skate for the puck? I thought no touch was to speed up the game, that hasn't happened!
PS, I'm at home sick sorry if I sound a little grouchy. lol