PDA

View Full Version : Ryckman Traded

CanesCrazy
10-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Derek Ryckman just tweeted that he is on his way to Tri-City. He says he has mixed emotions but looking forward to getting back to the winning ways.

Best of luck to him.

Stuck in the Penalty Box
10-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Ryckman's deal is the first of more to come. Rumor spreading that Anderson has been dealt to Brandon and Jackson dealt to Prince George.

Chow for now! yeehoo

HURRICANE'S ROCK
10-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Ryckman trade is confirmed on Tri Cities website:

"Tri-City Americans Governor/General Manager Bob Tory announced today that the team has acquired 19-year-old defenseman Derek Ryckman from the Lethbridge Hurricanes in exchange for a 4th round pick in the 2012 bantam draft."

Won't be the last move we hear of in the next little while. If you can't link to Tri Cities website I wouldn't get too excited. It will be on the Canes website in a day or or 2.

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
10-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Won't be the last move we hear of in the next little while. If you can't link to Tri Cities website I wouldn't get too excited. It will be on the Canes website in 3 or 4 days!!

Nice dig Hurricanes Rock, it is already posted on the Hurricanes website. In case you missed the news, they have a new PR/Media Communications on staff and she......is very much in tune with keeping everyone informed.

Oh...other possible deals....look for Anderson to the Wheaties and Jackson to PG.

Hit the Road Jack!:bowdown:

Big Torro
10-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Nice dig Hurricanes Rock, it is already posted on the Hurricanes website. In case you missed the news, they have a new PR/Media Communications on staff and she......is very much in tune with keeping everyone informed.

Oh...other possible deals....look for Anderson to the Wheaties and Jackson to PG.

Hit the Road Jack!:bowdown:

Any word on who might be coming the other way?

HURRICANE'S ROCK
10-16-2011, 05:26 PM
Nice dig Hurricanes Rock, it is already posted on the Hurricanes website. In case you missed the news, they have a new PR/Media Communications on staff and she......is very much in tune with keeping everyone informed. bowdown:
Yes that was a dig at the Canes use of thier website. I know that we have a new PR person in Esther M. and she has obviously done her home work...kudo's to her. However, it is just so difficult to remain positive about any and all parts of this entire organization right now. I will remain a huge Canes fan and wish them nothing but success, but anyone who has followed this team for the last 2 or 3 years has to be pretty frustrated. I have signed off on many of my posts with "Canes Mem Cup Hosts in 2016". Now I am nearing the point where I may change that to "Hope We Still Have a Team in Lethbridge in 2016". The futility we Canes fans are growing accustomed to is going to come to a boil when even less fans start to turn out to the games.

booboo
10-16-2011, 05:26 PM
I find it hard to believe Brandon would trade for Anderson unless another trade is in the works. They have 2 18 year old goalies already and is Anderson an upgrade over the 2 goalies they already have???

Iofthestorm
10-16-2011, 05:48 PM
"The strength of the group is the strength of the leaders" - Vince Lombardi

Need any more be said?

This is a panic attack on behalf of the coaches. The organization needs to hope that they don't end up in an even worse situation after the house cleaning. I think players are paying the price of a coaching staff that couldn't get players to realize their potential.

It is an interesting issue this would create for the Wheat Kings, would the coach trade a goalie for a goalie resulting in no real gain for the team? Maybe removing what they see as someone who had already moved on. This creates more turmoil for a team that already is struggling to get it together.

Where does the Ryckman and Jackson trade leave the team, if picks are the return and the team is in need of scoring, is there a net gain or is the situation even worse. We need to stop the bleeding, and we might have just severed our leg.

Bocephus
10-16-2011, 06:08 PM
This trade tells me that Preston and Company are not going anywhere. No way is a trade signed off on if Preston is out the door sooner than later.
That makes Bocephus depressed.
So glad I don't have to sit and watch this ship taking on water like the rest of you. It's painful enough from 1200 kilometers away.
Time to send old man Preston to the retirement home.

2speak4all
10-16-2011, 06:11 PM
I was imagining some major trades but this has me buffaloed. I think Ryckman is one of our best shut down players and I can only see this as opening up the defence even more. I am sure they have more planned down the road. Tri City known for a solid, hard working team with pretty solid results over the years.

Grinna blog reports that Anderson and a 3rd and 6th round pic traded to Brandon for a goalie Liston and a defenceman Galbraith and Jackson and a 5th round bantam pick to Prince George for a forward, Buonassisi.

Huge shake up for Leth and yet we still have coaches in place. If this doesn't do something to the team, not sure what will happen? Don't expect much for Monday game, but I hope this does something for the rest of the team. One of the biggest shake up for Lethbridge since Trader Roy was here.

Wishing Ryckman well. I thought he brought some discipline and good defensive style hockey to the team. Good Luck Jackson, Prince George is a good improving team and will help development you along. Anderson is looking for a place to hang for a year and then he will move up to bigger ranks.

I can only see this is a huge building step for the 3 players traded and am confused over what Leth is left with.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
10-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Glad to see I was right for a change......but, here lies the question that will be answered soon.

Ryckman and Anderson, will be back to play on the Enmax Ice. The Wheaties will be here this coming Saturday, Tri-Cities on Nov 12th and we will not see PG. If there is an improvement in the play of Ryckman and Anderson in that short period of time, then the much debated coaching techniques of Preston will be brought to light again.

Trouble is, with the club in the red and struggling again at the gate, they can ill afford to buy out Preston.

If.........and I say if, Preston can see that his methods do not work, then maybe he will make the best decision for this club, the young players and step down.

I agree that a younger, more progessive thinking coach is needed, especially to develop the cache of young talent playing now and about to next year.

Hit the road, Jack! :bowdown:

TooLoud
10-16-2011, 06:38 PM
I was imagining some major trades but this has me buffaloed. I think Ryckman is one of our best shut down players and I can only see this as opening up the defence even more. I am sure they have more planned down the road. Tri City known for a solid, hard working team with pretty solid results over the years.

Grinna blog reports that Anderson and a 3rd and 6th round pic traded to Brandon for a goalie Liston and a defenceman Galbraith and Jackson and a 5th round bantam pick to Prince George for a forward, Buonassisi.

Huge shake up for Leth and yet we still have coaches in place. If this doesn't do something to the team, not sure what will happen? Don't expect much for Monday game, but I hope this does something for the rest of the team. One of the biggest shake up for Lethbridge since Trader Roy was here.

Wishing Ryckman well. I thought he brought some discipline and good defensive style hockey to the team. Good Luck Jackson, Prince George is a good improving team and will help development you along. Anderson is looking for a place to hang for a year and then he will move up to bigger ranks.

I can only see this is a huge building step for the 3 players traded and am confused over what Leth is left with.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I am certainly not in possesion of a sharp "hockey mind" like Mr. Preston is, but, really? Ryckman for a 4th round choice? How many 4th round choices does this team now possess? How many 4th and 5th rounders are going to turn into blue-chip prospects? How is this trade going to help this team NOW? Say what you want about Ryckman, but over the past few years he has shown excellent improvement, and has quietly become very dependable, irregardless of whatever hopeless defensive systems that these kids are being taught. Saturday night's game showed us that, unfortunately, we do not have a talented hockey team, and dealing away the limited resources that we do have does not bode well for this team. I'm getting tired of the "wait till next year mantra" as next year is not arriving. Yes, we have some talent in the wings, but without a sold corp of "good" players, "good" systems, "good" leadership, and "good" management, we are doomed. I have stuck to my guns on believing that Preston is good for this team, but I am starting to doubt my faith. An 9-3 game should be a wake-up call to the team, and to the management. Take nothing away from Swift Current, but being on the wrong end of that score with that team signals that something is seriously wrong.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
10-16-2011, 06:40 PM
I find it hard to believe Brandon would trade for Anderson unless another trade is in the works. They have 2 18 year old goalies already and is Anderson an upgrade over the 2 goalies they already have???

At first glance your post is confusing. "Brandon would trade for Anderson" Your post seems funny in that the Canes goalie's name is "Brandon Anderson". My first thought was, how does someone trade themself?

HURRICANE'S ROCK
10-16-2011, 06:52 PM
"The strength of the group is the strength of the leaders" - Vince Lombardi

Need any more be said?

This is a panic attack on behalf of the coaches. The organization needs to hope that they don't end up in an even worse situation after the house cleaning. I think players are paying the price of a coaching staff that couldn't get players to realize their potential.

It is an interesting issue this would create for the Wheat Kings, would the coach trade a goalie for a goalie resulting in no real gain for the team? Maybe removing what they see as someone who had already moved on. This creates more turmoil for a team that already is struggling to get it together.

Where does the Ryckman and Jackson trade leave the team, if picks are the return and the team is in need of scoring, is there a net gain or is the situation even worse. We need to stop the bleeding, and we might have just severed our leg.

Really well done for your first post on here. Welcome to this board. What particularly was the most interesting and relative part of your post was the Lombardi quote, which I venture a guess, was typed with tongue is cheek.

LethHnds
10-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Folks are looking at the trade on a deal by deal basis and not at what they were trying to achieve which was getting a top six goal scorer up front and some stability in goal given that Kovacs is not ready. They gave up net 1 draft pick and got 3 players for 3 players. Not a bad deal....still need to change coaching at least an assistant to make a real difference.

2speak4all
10-17-2011, 05:09 AM
Folks are looking at the trade on a deal by deal basis and not at what they were trying to achieve which was getting a top six goal scorer up front and some stability in goal given that Kovacs is not ready. They gave up net 1 draft pick and got 3 players for 3 players. Not a bad deal....still need to change coaching at least an assistant to make a real difference.

are in somewhat agreement with yours. But IF they did all these trades to get the big forward and stability in goal, what was the purpose of dumping off one of our top 4 defenceman for a draft pick? Ryckman had an 'A' so obviously a leader, a major component of the PK which we seem to need in light of our goalie situation. Tri city announcement said they were pleased to pick up a stay at home defenceman - is this not something WE need?

This leaves us with Oslanski, Kiziuk, Erkamps, Blomqvist, and Johnson on the back end. Oslanski and Johnson will no doubt do the PP along with some shifts for Erkamps and Blomqvist. But unless this new Dman coming in from Brandon is a top PK man, we leave ourselves exposed defencesively. What we needed was a top notch PP man and the numbers for Galbraith don't show that. He played 47 games in the 2010-11 season with 7 pnts and a -4 rating.

I do have to say that Preston has done right by the kids he traded. He did find good organizations to send them to and IMO they will do well where they went. They have spent a major portion of their WHL career in Leth, during a difficult re-building time and deserve to move on.

With these trades completed, I have to think the Board has given their sign of approval to Preston for a more years to come. They cannot afford to release his contract and pay him out the 2 salaries he is collecting as GM and Coach

I am still very confused and concerned about what is left behind. Once again Leth has hit the charts around the Dub with these very odd trades. It seems like we get over one fiasco and line up to create our next one. I shake my head in confusion!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

LethHnds
10-17-2011, 07:43 AM
are in somewhat agreement with yours. But IF they did all these trades to get the big forward and stability in goal, what was the purpose of dumping off one of our top 4 defenceman for a draft pick? Ryckman had an 'A' so obviously a leader, a major component of the PK which we seem to need in light of our goalie situation. Tri city announcement said they were pleased to pick up a stay at home defenceman - is this not something WE need?

This leaves us with Oslanski, Kiziuk, Erkamps, Blomqvist, and Johnson on the back end. Oslanski and Johnson will no doubt do the PP along with some shifts for Erkamps and Blomqvist. But unless this new Dman coming in from Brandon is a top PK man, we leave ourselves exposed defencesively. What we needed was a top notch PP man and the numbers for Galbraith don't show that. He played 47 games in the 2010-11 season with 7 pnts and a -4 rating.

I do have to say that Preston has done right by the kids he traded. He did find good organizations to send them to and IMO they will do well where they went. They have spent a major portion of their WHL career in Leth, during a difficult re-building time and deserve to move on.

With these trades completed, I have to think the Board has given their sign of approval to Preston for a more years to come. They cannot afford to release his contract and pay him out the 2 salaries he is collecting as GM and Coach

I am still very confused and concerned about what is left behind. Once again Leth has hit the charts around the Dub with these very odd trades. It seems like we get over one fiasco and line up to create our next one. I shake my head in confusion!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Ryckman is an enigma....Big body but soft physically and turned the puck over way too much and and was constantly being beat wide and on numerous occassions was way out of position like twice on Sat night. His play this year was worse than last year in my view. Maybe he was trying to do too much. They had to give up two 2012 draft picks to get the goal scorer out of PG plus Jackson which was alot so I assume they felt they needed to get a draft pick back. I think the defense will be fine. Johnston will get a lot of minutes which he deserves. He is the most physical player on the team, and is an excellent skater and moves the puck the best of all the D men. Erkamps is good and going to get better. Just needs to learn the game in his own zone a little more and hopefully grow. Bloomquist has potential good along the boards but needs to improve his skating and first pass out of the zone. Oslanski is very slow but can handle the puck, he needs to keep it simple. Kizuik is solid, nothing flashy but not a lot of mistakes. Henry is a work in progress and the Brandon D man sounds like a solid 6th D man. The big issue I think is you have all right hand shots except for Henry, and Bloomquist, dont know how they will address that , maybe another trade.

canes77
10-18-2011, 12:05 AM
I think Preston decided to trade Ryckman with two minnutes left in the first period on Sat vs SC. I must have been the only person here to see Ryckman and Preston arguing for 30-45 seconds after the 2nd SC goal, which Ryckman was 100% responsible for.

When he returned to the bench after the goal, I waited for it and sure enough, Preston walked over to him.. said a couple words.. then turned around and walked away. I figured that was it but then as Preston turned around, Ryckman had a few words for him... a surprised Preston turned back around and the two of them argued back and forth for the !

Ryckman had a good start to the year, but perhaps that was the moment Preston decided to get rid of him.. not worried that he would have to settle for a 4th round pick.

Gilligans
10-18-2011, 07:30 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I could hear Rykman plain as day, he blamed the rookie for his being out of position and didn't take responsibility for his own play.

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
10-18-2011, 12:18 PM
If Ryckman was complaining about his rookie d-partner, that certainly spells out a lack of leadership on his part. Erkamps is but 16 and yet has been one of the more reliable d-men on this team. Bad on Ryckman, who when his hockey career comes to an end, he should open a bakery and sell his specialty.......TURNOVERS.

Merkley, Blumquist should be back this weekend. Johnston shortly after and Moline, Ketlo are a bit longer. With those 5 back, this club should be better. Merkley (16) was one of our best fwds before his injury.

Can't complain about the compete level last night. Especially with the Duke, Watson, Leverton line.

Hit the road, Jack! :bowdown:

2speak4all
10-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Looking at the standing of Lethbridge and Tri City, I can't help but see this as a trade in Ryckman's favour rather than Lethbridge's. If Ryckman did have words with Preston, I certainly hope Preston didn't overact and sell out our defence with something that could have certainly have been handled effectively in another manner. A private chat in the office, a time out in the rafters sitting out a few games, or even letting him sit on the bench the remainder of Saturday's game.

Tri City is back in Lethbridge in mid November, I guess we will see what improvements the trade has done for Lethbridge and Tri city by that time.

patsdude114
10-18-2011, 06:56 PM
When the Canes were in Regina over a week ago i really liked Ryckman's game thought he played well here also Jackson looked like he could be a very solid Dman as well he has potential forsure very surprised the Canes gave up on him as a 18yr old.

As for Anderson i dont think he is as good as some praise, but im sure out in Brandon he will look great infront of a good team.

2speak4all
11-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Glad to see I was right for a change......but, here lies the question that will be answered soon.

Ryckman will be back to play on the Enmax Ice. The Tri-Cities on Nov 12th. If there is an improvement in the play of Ryckman in that short period of time, then the much debated coaching techniques of Preston will be brought to light again.

Well I for one did notice a big improvment in Ryckman's play. He was swift and handled the puck well in Tri zone and in moving it out. He was on PK duty and worked well with his teammates. He didn't have any PP, but then IMO he wasn't that type of defenceman. He should never been put on the PP and that was a poor coaching decision.

Ryckman is an enigma....Big body but soft physically and turned the puck over way too much and and was constantly being beat wide and on numerous occassions was way out of position like twice on Sat night. His play this year was worse than last year in my view. Maybe he was trying to do too much.

Maybe still not phsycially as demanding as many here in Leth would like, but the way the entire league is playing, the physical play is becoming less and less evident. Beat wide?? If anyone gets beats wide, watch Johnson, Oslanski and Kizuik -- they are steady short on that play. Johnson and Oslanski have a terrific shot from the point, but don't show much skill or talent in other places.

If Ryckman was complaining about his rookie d-partner, that certainly spells out a lack of leadership on his part. Erkamps is but 16 and yet has been one of the more reliable d-men on this team. Bad on Ryckman, who when his hockey career comes to an end, he should open a bakery and sell his specialty.......TURNOVERS.

Turnovers?? None on Saturday night. Maybe those 'turnovers' were because of no positional play being executed by any of the Canes players. Many turnovers in the game on Saturday by both teams, but I watched specifically for Ryckman's play. So, to evaluate one players performance in one month from when he played here to his date of return with a different team, coach, and style of play, IMO there is a huge difference.

This should have opened eyes of many as to the ability of the coaching staff. They are outdated and have no real systems or drills. Leth kept up with Tri in the first 2 periods, but when when a team who was playing its 3rd game in 4 nights should have been flatter in the 3rd period, they actually notched their game up. It is possible, that Tri underestimated the game/skill of the Canes and took them a bit too lightly in the first periods, but it also shows when they need to, they can pump up their game. The Canes were no match for the Americans in the 3rd period and IMO completely lucky that the Americans were not on their full game in the first 2 periods or the score would have been a blow out.

It was good to see that Ryckman has fit in well with his new team. It was noticed after the game that some of the Canes players did visit with him and that 'these kids' continue a friendship. I'm sure he would have appreciated being able to see the final renos in the dressing room after his tenure of having to endure the old set-up.

Now maybe the BOD saw what I did and saw that this team can have success with proper coaching. Bite the bullet and do something about it!!! The cost will be dramatic, but the loss of not doing anything is worse. The financial loss is only one angle. The players not developing is the largest loss to the league.

canes77
11-15-2011, 02:50 AM
Siedlecki asked the TC coach about Ryckman before Sat's game... he said they had to correct a few things in Ryckman's game but within no time, he has been great for them.

In other words, Ryckman was terribly coached here in Leth and the TC coach pretty much confirmed that on air.