View Full Version : Letter to the WHL concerning shootouts

ihlemic10
06-13-2005, 10:52 PM
I wrote this letter for my English final and hope to send it next week.

Commissioner Robison:

I am an avid hockey fan in Everett, WA. I enjoy having season tickets to the Everett Silvertips and enjoy going to see other teams play. I am writing you today to discourage one of the proposed rule changes, ending the game in a shootout. I believe ending the game in such a way will lower the quality of play in the league.

A shootout is an unfair way to end an otherwise great game. Hockey is a team sport, having the game decided in a one-on-one way will not fairly show a team’s abilities. I do believe ties are boring, but there are other ways to play until a winner. After a 5 minute session of 4-on-4 hockey, possibly have another break and then 3-on-3 hockey for another 5 minutes. If there is still a tie, then possibly go to a shootout, but only after some more playing time occurs. When the players continue to play, they often make more mistakes which lead to more scoring opportunities.

On several unofficial WHL forums, there has been much criticism to this change. People that have opposed the shootout have suggested sticking with ties but altering the points system so a win is 3 points and all other outcomes remain the same. This is what people think would be enough incentive to have the players try harder for the win. A poster by the name of bandwagonboy, on the forum http://www.network54.com/Forum/40684, wrote this about shootouts, “They shouldn't use shootouts for the same reason the NBA doesn't play a game of horse to decide an OT game, or the MLB doesn't have a home run derby to decide an OT game. It's a stupid gimmick that belongs only at all star games”. I agree with his statement that other leagues don’t do the same type of thing because it is a gimmick. Others on the site also agreed with his thoughts.

Hopefully, Mr. Robison, you consider this letter and don’t allow shootouts to come the great brand of Hockey the WHL offers. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Michael Ihlenfeldt

langdak
06-14-2005, 01:18 AM
I wrote this letter for my English final and hope to send it next week.

Hopefully, Mr. Robison, you consider this letter and don’t allow shootouts to come the great brand of Hockey the WHL offers. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Michael Ihlenfeldt

good god man, your writing this for an english class?

you might wanna rephrase the above noted line, because it is some of the worst grammar i have ever seen

good luck with your letter

ihlemic10
06-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Thats what my teacher said. I am doing some minor tweaks before I send it.

Brad
06-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Letter or no letter, they will follow the lead of the NHL and they (the NHL) appear to be leaning towards shootouts.

Flathead
06-15-2005, 12:21 PM
I agree with you 100%, every little thing all opposed can do will help. If it comes to a shoot out, I probally will not even watch, I'll leave the game.

rinkrat
06-18-2005, 09:36 AM
Good job Ihlemic,at least you are trying to do something! Keep it up.