PDA

View Full Version : Sundher serving notice

pontcanna
10-18-2011, 12:58 AM
Sundher serving notice

BY CLEVE DHEENSAW, TIMESCOLONIST.COM OCTOBER 17, 2011 11:06 PM

Victoria Royals forward Kevin Sundher chuckled and nodded knowingly when asked about a sporting stereotype.

But it’s a fact that when it comes to Canadian national teams, far more Indo-Canadians have represented their country internationally in the field version of hockey than on ice.

Sundher looks to change that up a bit as the Western Hockey League assists leader with 17 and co-leader in points with 21 attempts to track down a coveted spot on the Canadian squad for the 2012 world junior hockey championship in late December and early January in Edmonton and Calgary.

That’s hockey as in ice. Former Kamloops Blazers WHL standout Robin Bawa of Duncan and current Canuck Manny Malhotra are the only Indo-Canadians to play in the NHL, and Sundher takes his role as a trailblazer very seriously.

“I hear that all the time and I am very proud to be [Indo-Canadian] . . . and I think it would be awesome to follow guys like that [Bawa and Malhotra],” said the third-round Buffalo Sabres draft pick.

“I know kids in the [Indo-Canadian] community look up to me and a lot more are playing ice hockey and that’s awesome,” added the 19-year-old, who is also a black belt in karate.

Sundher was born and raised in Surrey, but his great-grandfather first settled at Port Alberni in 1906 and his dad Rob grew up on the Island as a WHL Victoria Cougars fan. So in that sense, this is a story that has come full circle. Taking it that next step from the Royals to the world junior championship, and eventually the NHL, is the goal.

“Kevin is in the mix [to make the team for the world juniors],” said Kevin Prendergast, Hockey Canada head scout for national team programs.

“It’s safe to say he will play in one of the games in the Subway Series in November [when the WHL all-stars meet the Russian junior all-stars] and we will reevaluate all the players after that.

“Kevin is a good skater and knows how to score. I liked what he did last season [24 goals and 52 assists when the Royals were known as the Chilliwack Bruins] and like what he’s done early this season.”

Sundher admitted he was crestfallen over the summer when he was not invited to the Canadian national team prospects camp.

“I was disappointed but that added a fire in my belly,” said Sundher.

Read nothing into the summer invitations, said Prendergast.

“You can only bring so many guys into those camps,” he said.

So the puck definitely is on Sundher’s stick. Whether he makes the national junior side is up to him.

“I’m off to a good start but realize that consistency is the key,” he said.

“And I have to be able to do everything and be a two-way player. When you look at the next level, you see that even the top offensive guys also have to be solid defensively.”

Check that off Sundher’s to-do list. He is, of course, integral to the Royals power play but is also proving valuable with the pressure his speed puts on opposing puck handlers during the Royals penalty kill.

“I’m definitely hopeful about making the world junior team,” said Sundher, about his emerging all-round game. “If it doesn’t happen, so be it.”

He laughed again when asked if his league-high 17 assists means the Victoria thing is really rubbing off on him and he’s the Steve Nash of the WHL.

“I like to pass, yet I like to score, too, but the finishing hasn’t been there yet for me this season,” said Sundher, about his four goals.

“But I think that’s going to come, too.”

When it does, a player who is already dynamic and bright becomes the complete package. And that’s enough to give nightmares to any WHL — or potential world junior — opponents.

“Kevin is a great talent. It’s a matter of putting it all together,” said Royals GM and head coach Marc Habscheid. “He’s become a two-way player and Don Hay [the Vancouver Giants and 2012 Canadian junior team head coach] likes two-way players.”