PDA

View Full Version : Austin Connor Retires?

Geddy Lee
10-19-2011, 02:25 PM
The trade now stands as Hart and Burns for a fourth round draft pick, and a guy who was drafted in the 8th round of the 2010 draft. I, for one, was happy to see Hart go, but a little surprised that was this all that we could get for two WHL regulars?

More trades needed to add some size, I guess?

Lucic
10-19-2011, 02:44 PM
I sure hope so. Obviously that issue still hasn't been addressed. :brickwall:

johnnyradiant
10-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Shaping up for another fine mess. That 4th rnd pick aint gonna do much to right the ship.

Small players, big players that get broke, players that take their toys and go home, and players with regular shifts that are only noticed by their lack of being noticed during their shift. It's starting to feel like the Vancouver curse. Makes me wonder with the significance of our trades recently, how many bridges has Bonner burned?

Also curious about the Hanlon Hay thing. Still early in the season but I really don't see from my uneducated vantage point any real difference with the coached product.

So far tolerating but not enjoying the season.

Knuckles Muldoon
10-19-2011, 06:28 PM
I still like the moves because the important thing is that it paves the way for increased icetime for Houck, Cooke, Bews etc. I've thrown in the towel on the idea of having a good team this year. Time to groom some kids who want to make a difference.

Dwight Schrute
10-19-2011, 06:32 PM
The trade now stands as Hart and Burns for a fourth round draft pick, and a guy who was drafted in the 8th round of the 2010 draft. I, for one, was happy to see Hart go, but a little surprised that was this all that we could get for two WHL regulars?

More trades needed to add some size, I guess?

he had pretty impressive camps as a 15 and 16 year old. most likely the best player by far in the deal

Lucic
10-19-2011, 10:12 PM
I still like the moves because the important thing is that it paves the way for increased icetime for Houck, Cooke, Bews etc. I've thrown in the towel on the idea of having a good team this year. Time to groom some kids who want to make a difference.

Exactly. Hart and Burns were dead weight on this team. And now more ice time can be given to players that need that ice time to learn and grow.

Geddy Lee
10-19-2011, 10:39 PM
I sure like the look of the roster a lot more today than I did two days ago.

Hockeyak
10-20-2011, 12:16 PM
In looking at the League PIM Leaders, I see Swift Current and Lethbridge have some players in the top 10 (hopefully meaning they have size, grit and toughness). Anyone have any idea whether 1 or 2 of these players could become available?

I am a strong believe that Bonner is a great GM and with the Riplingers on board, will do their absolute best to upgrade this team as soon as they can. Look, the team has only played 10 Regular Season games so far and there have already been a number of player movements/trades. Based on past performance, Bonner and the scouting staff has done really well with lower round picks, either in trades or selections. It's unfortunate, the Finnish goalie didn't work out nor Connor Austin but the team appears to still be able to make trades with several Prairie teams and of course, Kamloops is always willing to dance.

Although the roster looks small and limited today, I think the team will look different by the trading deadline and I am hoping we will still be contending. One other thought that I keep in mind is I am so glad we are not a perennial bottom feeder like Seattle or more recently, Calgary. Also, if Don's involvement with Team Canada at the WJC's in Alberta results in Gold or Silver, I can see younger players wanting to come to the Giants.

Let's give the Giants' Brain Trust the benefit of doubt and continue to support a very successful organization.

Remember: GIANTS' FANS DON'T RIOT! :-)

johnnyradiant
10-20-2011, 12:59 PM
I don't mind seeing the departures at all. I don't mind prospects or rookies getting some additional mentoring and practical experience. I'm just not overly thrilled with the limited immediate improvements that I thought at least some of the trades were supposed to yield. There seems to be building blocks coming along but to listen to Bonner before or after some of the trades I got the impression they weren't made solely for building blocks.

I haven't run the #'s but I'm fairly confident from the start of the season to at least yesterday our average size has decreased. How could it not after shipping out Lammy, Hart, and Burns for at this point 1 guy playing elsewhere (at least he seems to be still elsewhere at this point), and somebody yet undrafted. If we had gotten what some wanted here for Lammy I guess we would have swapped around 6' for a round disc 1-1/2" high - a real size diminishment.

Can't see how we could possibly sit back and be happy to date. I hope we don't have to wait till the dieing days of trade deadline for anything. I don't need to see us working for a top rank by some miraculous trades and unfounded fanboy expectations, though they are welcome to do so. Just making anybody wanting points have to go through us not over us, and not having to only play 4 games in the playoffs - meaning a chance to win most any game even after the puck drops.

dondo
10-20-2011, 04:42 PM
I have a question: if Connor retires-- does that not mean that the trade does not meet the original deal? Is there any leeway for the Giants to come back and get better worth for the deal from the Raiders? Did PA know in advance that Connor was planning to retire? This could be a sticky situation.

Sounds like Bonner got snowed yet again. I have to say I am liking his deals less and less as his tenure goes on. I feel like we are losing more trades than we are getting fair worth.

Happy to see the young guys getting the chance to develop and I am hoping to see Hayzer hold off on the line-shuffling and give some of these kids a regular spot from which to work.

Giantsfan
10-20-2011, 05:05 PM
I don't think Bonner got snowed, he got rid of players who were worth nothing & weren't producing here.

Personally, I think Bonner has a lot of work to do. I don't know why he's so hesitant to make either a blockbuster trade to mix up the team, or trade someone of some value & maybe a pick to get some much needed size, toughness & grit. It's embarrassing to watch the Giants get manhandled physically.

Bonner, Hay & Toigo met & finally look to address a big of the issue, then the guys quits, but why settle? There is still no size on the front line. So frustrating to be a Giants fan the last couple seasons.

dondo
10-20-2011, 05:14 PM
I actually don't agree they were worth nothing, but the deal we made felt as if they were. Bonner was also misled as to the extent of Connor's injuries - he knew he was injured but did not understand how much -- that's kind of poor research in my mind, but we'll see how it works out.

Prepare for a bunch of rookie errors over the next months gfan hopefully they will be exciting to watch as they strive to jockey for line positions.

Priceisright
10-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Shaping up for another fine mess. That 4th rnd pick aint gonna do much to right the ship.

Small players, big players that get broke, players that take their toys and go home, and players with regular shifts that are only noticed by their lack of being noticed during their shift. It's starting to feel like the Vancouver curse. Makes me wonder with the significance of our trades recently, how many bridges has Bonner burned?

Also curious about the Hanlon Hay thing. Still early in the season but I really don't see from my uneducated vantage point any real difference with the coached product.

So far tolerating but not enjoying the season.

I heard somewhere that the Giants maybe building for a chance to host the Mem Cup in the next few years? Maybe 2-3yrs thus they will be looking long term to make sure they have a good team. This is all based on them getting the Mem Cup of course. NO guarantee.

johnnyradiant
10-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Did I hear correctly that Connor wants to come out of retirement already and wants Bonner to send his rights back over the rockies?

dondo
10-26-2011, 08:34 PM
I don't know... but I believe his rights are still with the Raiders as Bonner took a fourth round pick instead - however I am not sure how that works.

Frankly a player "retired" is retired - no coming back, no playing stupid games like that -- if the league allowed this kind of dodge to take place, then they would be setting a bad precedent.

johnnyradiant
10-27-2011, 12:15 PM
I don't know... but I believe his rights are still with the Raiders as Bonner took a fourth round pick instead - however I am not sure how that works.

Frankly a player "retired" is retired - no coming back, no playing stupid games like that -- if the league allowed this kind of dodge to take place, then they would be setting a bad precedent.

My concern when I heard that rumor was that Connor could be allowed to pull that kinda stunt. Where ever his rights are, as far as junior at any level, he should be retired.

Brandon
10-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Tough crowd, the kid should be allowed to refuse to report. Then its up to other teams if they want that kind of issue on their roster. You are asking a 19 year old to move two provinces away from home, maybe he just isn't ready for that step in his life. I am not saying it should be easy for him to return but at the same time you have to understand there are a lot of factors involved for the player.

dondo
10-27-2011, 06:18 PM
sorry Brandon, but that's the gig.

For a player (even a young player - and in this league 19 is not young) to try to circumvent a trade by declaring "retirement" and then turning around and saying he changed his mind, when a lesser deal was made cannot be allowed by the league.

If he says he is retired then he stays retired - or he reports to the team that originally traded for his rights. You can't have it both ways and even though its not quite pro -- the boys do know the score.

I understand that there are other factors, but the league has to maintain consistency and has a responsibility to the teams to not allow a dodge of this kind. If he's not ready to make that move then he should be cashing in his university credits and playing for a university team while earning his education.

Thanks for your response though -- all team's fans are welcome here

Priceisright
10-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Its about integrity of the league. They shouldn't allow this if it tries to ocurr.

Lucic
10-29-2011, 02:48 AM
Has this been confirmed? I haven't heard anything about Connor wanting to come out of retirement.

johnnyradiant
10-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Somebody told me they heard something on the radio about Connor wanting to play only on a prairie team. I have not heard anything to that end or seen anything anywhere else (not that I looked very far), which is why I asked here if any one had heard some thing. I was hoping it was a crossed wire or something, but partly hoping we might be in a position to parlay it into more than Bews in our here and now instead of a building block for the future, but trimming the dead wood seems to have had the same effect so far.

Lucic
10-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Somebody told me they heard something on the radio about Connor wanting to play only on a prairie team. I have not heard anything to that end or seen anything anywhere else (not that I looked very far), which is why I asked here if any one had heard some thing. I was hoping it was a crossed wire or something, but partly hoping we might be in a position to parlay it into more than Bews in our here and now instead of a building block for the future, but trimming the dead wood seems to have had the same effect so far.

Well I haven't heard anything like that at all. To my knowledge a large part of the reason why Connor didn't want to play here was because he didn't want to go to the big city and leave home. But that is why he decided to retire. I haven't heard anything about him wanting to join another prairie team instead.

johnnyradiant
10-30-2011, 04:08 PM
That's what I had orginally heard too and was just seeing if what I heard from somebody else was either outright wrong or maybe referring to his initial trade from Portland. I'm ready to put this to bed now, barring any real news on this issue. And I'm sorry I even bothered to bring it up.

Lucic
10-30-2011, 05:54 PM
That's what I had orginally heard too and was just seeing if what I heard from somebody else was either outright wrong or maybe referring to his initial trade from Portland. I'm ready to put this to bed now, barring any real news on this issue. And I'm sorry I even bothered to bring it up.

No worries. Bringing it up isn't a problem at all. I was just wondering where you heard this in case I missed something. But I don't think anything has changed here. Connor has retired and the Giants received a 4th round pick instead.

Dwight Schrute
10-31-2011, 08:57 PM
No worries. Bringing it up isn't a problem at all. I was just wondering where you heard this in case I missed something. But I don't think anything has changed here. Connor has retired and the Giants received a 4th round pick instead.
and now burns has gone home

dondo
11-01-2011, 03:48 PM
and now burns has gone home

Teal Burns? link?