PDA

View Full Version : After 10 - The Forwards

SectionNDeserter
10-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Here we are, 10 games into the season again! Here are my thoughts on the forwards so far, and where I think they slot into the future of the team.

Turner Elson (B-) - Off to a bit of a slow start, and suffered an injury early in the season, but always one of the hardest workers, and it is starting to pay off on the scoresheet. I think he could be back as a solid overage player next season.

Mason Burr (D-) - I haven't seen anything really positive from him yet, or really anything that points to him being able to even be a depth WHL player. Seems to be a step behind the play, loses just about every board battle, and isn't a particularly hard worker. I really don't know what the future holds for him with the Rebels, as he seems to be miles behind the other 17 year olds on the team, as well as the 16 year olds.

Josh Cowen (C-) - He had a really bad start to the season, with lazy and undisciplined offensive zone penalties, and a bunch of turnovers. The last 4 games or so find him as one of the best penalty killers on the team, with some very solid defensive play. Unfortunately he needs to put up more offensive numbers as an overage forward on the team. This is his last season with the team, and he will likely be dealt at some point. If they do hang on to him, it will be to serve as a role model for some of the younger checkers, as I don't think he will ever put up a lot of offensive numbers.

Joel Hamilton (C+) - He has shown a lot of hard work so far, and despite his small stature, hasn't missed a beat defensively. I can see him evolving into a solid 2nd liner in the future.

Adam Kambeitz (A-) - In addition to being one of the best defensive forwards on the team, he is on pace to surpass 30 goals this season. The perfect candidate for Captain, he should be their best overage player next season.

Brooks Maxwell (C+) - Looked good in training camp, and in the limited role he had so far in the regular season. An injury has set his rookie season back, at least for the time being. He is a decent skater with good hockey sense. I think he will be another solid checker/penalty killer next season.

Colton Mayor (B-) - I wasn't really sure where this kid would end up last season, but he evolved into a solid defensive forward in the last few months of the season last season, and this season has shown an knack for finding the net so far. If he continues his early play, I can see him on the 1st line next season.

Marc McCoy (C+) - Big, solid body that has won a lot of his faceoffs so far, and makes a lot of smart defensive plays. Should be a big part of the team next season, as big centermen are always a hot commodity.

Cory Millette (A-) - Probably the most pleasant surprise so far this season. He has great hands, and battles very hard on the boards and around the net. Got a bigger role while Elson was injured, and took full advantage of it. He will be one of the top 6 forwards next season.

Locke Muller (C-) - Big physical winger that hits and battles hard on the boards. Struggles at times to clear the zone, but is willing and able to drop the gloves when neccesary. I think he will fit into a similar role next season.

Tyson Ness (B+) - He has turned a slow start into some solid outings of late. He is starting to utilize his speed better, and it is starting to turn into offensive numbers. He should be another Top 6 forward next season.

John Persson (A-) - Doesn't look the same without RNH on his line (but who does?), but is still a dominant player in most games. I don't think that he gets nearly enough credit for the defensive part of his game, as I believe he is one of the best defensive forwards in the league. Unfortunately for the Rebels, this strong defensive play will mean that he probably plays pro next season.

Chad Robinson (C+) - He has quietly put up 6 points in his first 10 games. He doesn't have a lot of finish around the net, but he has decent positioning and hockey sense, and some decent speed. He could end up in the top two lines next season, but he could just as easily be a 3rd liner.

Daulton Siwak (C-) - Teases us with flashes of skill and confidence every other game, then spends a lot of time floating and losing board battles. It is baffling that a promising player is putting in so many indifferent performances during his draft year. Going forward, does he turn into the top player that he was projected to be, and has shown that he can be, or does he punch his ticket out of town? I really have no idea.