PDA

View Full Version : Hurricanes

taylor0017
10-23-2011, 09:25 PM
So when does Preston fire himself ? I would think that it must be very soon . Although the team did look a little better on the weekend . You have to feel for those kids. From what I can see , they are getting no help from the coaching staff.

One other thing ...are the canes in such poor financial shape that they can not afford a small white board ? They call a time out and have to draw up a play on a scrap piece of paper !!!!

:p:p:p:p:p

hockeygurl1976
10-23-2011, 10:29 PM
It is not just the players that are going through this difficult time. You don’t think the coaches feel bad? They are right along with the players during this frustrating streak!

If you watch the bench at the end of the game you will see the trainers pick up a “small whiteboard”. Also, if you look more closely you would see that the “scrap piece of paper” is actually a pre-printed form with a diagram of a rink on it.

Bocephus
10-24-2011, 12:00 AM
Lost amongst the Canes debacle is the race at the top of the Central. 4 teams at .700ish
That should be a positive for selling off assets.

LHF
10-24-2011, 08:16 AM
IMO, Preston needs to step down as coach. He seems to be doing a pretty good job on the GM side of things (or at least him and Robson), but as far as coaching goes, he needs to step down. Some people are saying the team can't afford to hire a new coach, well can they afford not too? Every game there seems to be less fans there. NOT GOOD PEOPLE!!! Come on Preston, hire someone that can coach these kids. And please don't start trading everyone off!!! We have some real talent on this team, lets not waste it!

Bocephus
11-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Some more positives. Cane alumni, Carter Ashton has a nice start to his season going.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=100351

localguy
11-01-2011, 09:47 AM
how can they not be? Heard there has been an "observer/consultant" attending the last few practices, and it's only a matter of time.

shushu
11-02-2011, 10:47 PM
how can they not be? Heard there has been an "observer/consultant" attending the last few practices, and it's only a matter of time.

that a bunch of players went to prestons office and said we want to be traded, IF its true that a sad state of affairs.........great job tonight boys and try to keep it going.........ps......... nice touch by the players to salute the crowd at the end of the game...............

2speak4all
11-03-2011, 09:24 AM
that a bunch of players went to prestons office and said we want to be traded, IF its true that a sad state of affairs.........great job tonight boys and try to keep it going.........ps......... nice touch by the players to salute the crowd at the end of the game...............

Asking and getting are 2 different things. I am assuming the talk you heard would have been the vets on the team, as I'm pretty sure the rookies would not venture that direction just yet. And IMO if Preston was going to trade any of them, he would have had a chance to make some big deal when he was dealing Anderson. I do think that around trade deadline, you could look at a trade involving Sutter and/or Braes. I feel that since Braes has been here since 16, he will feel a certain amount of duty to stay and finish out his 20 year old season here.

Preston has to keep something to give some kind of stability, guidance and strength to the more rookie players, however little some of that might be.

Also Michael Dyck has been seen around the rink the last few weeks. Is it possible that the Board has asked him to step in and give assistance? Are they able to do that without consent from Preston? All interesting times ahead.

Big Torro
11-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Also Michael Dyck has been seen around the rink the last few weeks. Is it possible that the Board has asked him to step in and give assistance? Are they able to do that without consent from Preston? All interesting times ahead.

Is not Michael Dyck a scout for the Vancouver Giants? I am sure a remember hearing it a couple years ago. Several scouts were seen at the rink last night, I am sure all teams are looking to pick pieces from both teams that were playing last night. The Tips are not off to a stellar year as well.

lethbridgefan83
11-03-2011, 02:54 PM
According to the Giants Website he isnt listed as a Scout? (http://www.vancouvergiants.com/team_coaches)

And I cant find anywhere on the Internet that he has an affiliation with anything Hockey Related right now.. Maybe we are going to go to the well for a 3rd time with Dyck.. Who Knows...

Big Torro
11-03-2011, 03:04 PM
According to the Giants Website he isnt listed as a Scout? (http://www.vancouvergiants.com/team_coaches)

And I cant find anywhere on the Internet that he has an affiliation with anything Hockey Related right now.. Maybe we are going to go to the well for a 3rd time with Dyck.. Who Knows...

Maybe he is no longer with them or their website is kept up to date like ours.

Here is the link to the announcement in Dec 2009

http://media.whl.ca/vancouver-giants-hire-michael-dyck-as-whl-scout-p139386

CanesCrazy
11-03-2011, 03:48 PM
He is listed as the head instructior of The Edge 3v3 Hockey School.

http://www.edge3v3hockey.com/league.php?scriptName=LEAGUEINFO&leagueID=15423&leagueInfoID=54116

I wouldn't expect to see Michael Dyck behind the bench any time soon.

Or ever.

Derek Sutton
11-03-2011, 04:45 PM
He is still something with the Giants, not sure of his title though, or if it is even much of paid position. And he is the owner of Edge 3 on 3. I really could not see him wanting to give give up his current job and return to the Canes, it wouldhave to be for a long term with good money. Otherwise he's been there and dine that.

blacksheep
11-04-2011, 10:02 AM
A burn thru the Edge website lists Mike Dyck as Director of Player Development - Vancouver Giants. :):)

CanesCrazy
11-04-2011, 02:49 PM
And yet the Vancouver Giants website lists Todd Ripplinger as their Director of Player Development.

Someone is not up-to-date on their information.

canes77
11-04-2011, 04:25 PM

That would be good news if it's a possible new coach... Has anyone here been to a recent practise to see who this person is?? I would attend if my schedule allowed to visit the Enmax during the daytime.

In response to one of the names... whatever Michael Dyck's job (or jobs) currently is... it doesn't matter where he is working since no job would prevent him from leaving if a coaching position was offered to him. The only exception is if he was under contract with a team at a higher level (NHL, AHL, etc) but I don't believe he is.

Note that Hockey Canada chose him AGAIN to coach the U17 BC/AB team over the Xmas break.

Derek Sutton
11-04-2011, 05:23 PM
In response to one of the names... whatever Michael Dyck's job (or jobs) currently is... it doesn't matter where he is working since no job would prevent him from leaving if a coaching position was offered to him. The only exception is if he was under contract with a team at a higher level (NHL, AHL, etc) but I don't believe he is.

Note that Hockey Canada chose him AGAIN to coach the U17 BC/AB team over the Xmas break.

He currently has a real job (non hockey related) that pays his bills, gives him time off to be with his family, coach kids, run a spring program, the hockey school etc...I can't see him giving that all up to coach the Canes again given what happened (Roy) in the past, and the boards refusal to extend his contract. As for the Giants I believe he may be the "regional director of player development" therefore not getting recognition on their site. I would very much like to see him behind the bench again but financially, there would have to be more in it for him then their was in the past.

Bare Bear
11-04-2011, 05:32 PM
He currently has a real job (non hockey related) that pays his bills, gives him time off to be with his family, coach kids, run a spring program, the hockey school etc...I can't see him giving that all up to coach the Canes again given what happened (Roy) in the past, and the boards refusal to extend his contract. As for the Giants I believe he may be the "regional director of player development" therefore not getting recognition on their site. I would very much like to see him behind the bench again but financially, there would have to be more in it for him then their was in the past.

Ditto. I just about said the exact same thing. The BOD really missed the boat on this one. The only playoff success we had in over a decade and they just sh** on him. I'm sure they are all wishing now that he was still there. I seriously doubt though that they ever learned anything at all.

grainbear
11-04-2011, 08:36 PM
I am struggling to find positives right now. Yes, we are young but we have to do better then be down 4 to 1 to PA. Management has tried to change the culture by trades and it does not appear to have worked any better. The only other alternative without selling our young prospects is and this is hard to say is to bring in a coach or two who can get his systems and message through. Rick Matt and Chris are not getting it done in spite of their best efforts . It is time for them too look in the mirror and re-evaluate what they are doing or else the writing is on the wall that we will see another revolving door at the Canes door and the board will have to make the move. Lets not let that happen , I have ofter stated amongst friends that Matt should work with the forwards and Rick with the d men. Lets try it, what have we got to lose that we have not already lost

blacksheep
11-05-2011, 07:13 AM
"and the boards refusal to extend his contract". Is this true or just another concourse rumor?

Big Torro
11-05-2011, 07:44 AM
"and the boards refusal to extend his contract". Is this true or just another concourse rumor?

My understanding was of the whole situation was that in the spring following the 07/08 season, both Stasiuk and Dyck were offered the options in their contracts. Stasiuk took his option and Dyck turned his down. Obviously hoping the 08/09 season would be a success and put him in a position of strength for coaching jobs around this league and others. Unfortunately the 08/09 season was a complete failure with the talent that was on that team. Barely making the playoffs and going out in the second round.

Stasiuk, who had the option he had taken left on his contract, was fired and Dyck's contract was left to expire. The decision of the new coach was to be put to the new GM. who immediately hired himself as coach. Obviously a bigger cheque to him having both jobs.

blacksheep
11-05-2011, 09:50 AM
So is this straight? Dyck and Stasiuk both were offered options. Dyck turned it down, Stasiuk accepted and then was let go? Sounds like business to me. Tail wag dog, dog wag tail.

Big Torro
11-05-2011, 11:06 AM
So is this straight? Dyck and Stasiuk both were offered options. Dyck turned it down, Stasiuk accepted and then was let go? Sounds like business to me. Tail wag dog, dog wag tail.

Yes, that is how I understood it. Stasiuk was fired one year after his acceptance of his option.

Bare Bear
11-05-2011, 11:20 AM

From what I was told back then was that both were indeed offered extensions and Michael Dyck refused it so long as Roy was still in charge. It was obvious that the two could not work together. The board was entirely aware of this as there was people were brought in to try and fix things between the two, but to no avail. That they say is history, and after that a lot of dirty laundry was brought to light and then Roy got fired, costing us once again thousands of dollars. We lost a great coach, a lousy GM and were back at square one as we have done a million times before. Now we have a good GM but not such a good coach. You must learn from history or you are bound to relive it time and time again.

2speak4all
11-05-2011, 11:29 AM
if the idea 2 years ago was to build a team from the back out, then why we traded off 2 of our most veteran defencemen. I understand that Anderson wanted off the team and with Ketlo we had stability in net. But to trade off 2 defencemen at the same time, knowing that Johnson/Hulit are both out with obviously some long term injuries, it was the worst time to make that trade. Now we have no defensive core left, cause everyone skates around Kiziuk and Oslanski. Blomqvist has been more penalty prone than offering real stability and Henry is in one game and out the rest. Only Erkamps has shown to be able to hold down a spot, but for a 16 year, the WHL is going to be one long season and he will wear down fast.

Moving Braes back to cover defense shows the lack of confidence in the present core of defencemen and just plain lacking in bodies on defence. Bringing in players like Topping, Pilon, and Duke when they are not part of any practices, is only a game to game fix.

Where has Leverton and Merkley been the last few games? If they were dressed and playing, they are non-existant on the ice. For some top notch talent and draft picks, they are not playing or producing what they should/could be. Yakabowski and Mechenie seem to be working hard along with Hood, Ramsay and the top line of Sutter, Braes and Tot.

Again, horrible trading sending 2 of top defencemen out at a time when we desperately need them. Not rolling lines so all the forwards can improve their skills, and lack of any kind of systems or plays will keep this team in the basement for years to come. You can't develop talent and skill if you are not taught anything. A person does not have to go watch a practice to see what if anything is being taught. After 2 years and we can't break out of our zone effectively answers all questions. That breakout should be a tic tac toe and you are out. The team is slow, unorganized and never knows where another player is going or suppose to be.

I will be surprised if at trade deadline, we don't see some trades involving Sutter and Braes. Being 'C' and 'A', it is always difficult to send them away, but being that they are 20 year old, you might get some trade value for them. IMO Solfilias has been out for so long and is no where near being able to play so he should be sent home. And Hulit, he has been out most all of last spring with concussion issues and again now, and likely should also be sent home. That would make room for some added players who CAN PLAY. They have both been taking up space on the roster and have not done anything for nearly a year. It will take them a few months just to get back into shape to be productive and then it is the end of the season anyways.

The present team will be lucky if it can break the amount of wins over the previous 2 seasons. I see them as 'lucky' to get a 20 game win, and the sad part: it isn't the fans, the city, or the board that will lose out as much as the kids who are trying to advance their careers into something and will lose that chance .. IF SOMETHING IS NOT DONE VERY SOON!!!!

:burningmad: :burningmad: :burningmad:

sbtatter
11-05-2011, 01:15 PM
How have liston and Galbraith done for you guys? Anderson has been as advertized, inconsistent.....

Big Torro
11-05-2011, 02:20 PM
IMO Solfilias has been out for so long and is no where near being able to play so he should be sent home. And Hulit, he has been out most all of last spring with concussion issues and again now, and likely should also be sent home. That would make room for some added players who CAN PLAY. They have both been taking up space on the roster and have not done anything for nearly a year. It will take them a few months just to get back into shape to be productive and then it is the end of the season anyways.

Agreed, someone has to make the decision for these kids to maybe get on with the rest of their lives. Either the parents convince them to hang the skates up before something life altering happens to effect the rest of their lives or management of this team releases them and sends them home. Being this long for Sofillas and the number of times Hulit has had concussions in a short time period, any parent should have deep concerns.

shushu
11-05-2011, 02:21 PM
How have liston and Galbraith done for you guys? Anderson has been as advertized, inconsistent.....

i really like liston, i think he gives up the odd goal that he wishes he had back but all in all he stands tall for the most part.(especially on a bad team)galbraith is gritty to say the least and is fun to watch, both are a welcome addition to our team...........

Big Torro
11-05-2011, 02:33 PM

Liston has been OK and at least as effective as Anderson, plus a year younger. Once Ketlo is healthy, Liston will either be a healthy backup for Ketlo. Then they still have Kovacs and a decision on him whether to carry 3 goalies, send Kovacs to a Junior A team or try to trade one of Ketlo or Liston. Following this year, they could have Liston, Kovacs and Hogue who will be 16 and currently playing AAA midget here in Lethbridge. Hogue played very well in the preseason.

Galbraith has been OK, but remember he is playing on a team full of 5/6 defenseman.

sbtatter
11-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Wish nothing the best for Liston and Galbraith

canes watcher
11-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Dyck was offered a couple of contracts, but he rolled the dice, even went so far as to say publicly he wouldn't be giving the board a "hometown" discount. They offered him a wage that was bottom third of the league, but that is what they pay. He and Stasiuk weren't speaking at this point and he dealt directly with board. I thought it was a good gamble on Dyck's part, but it did not work, the team was bad and his contract expired. He is doing well now, has some Hockey Alberta coaching stuff and gets to spend time with his kids and live a less stressful life. Plus, people inflate his ego by calling him "great" on websites when he was actually just good. Could have been great? Sure, but he was not there yet.

Bare Bear
11-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Ok I get the fact that you didn't really like Mike, but even you have to admit he is better than ANYTHING we have had in the last decade or more. It is really too bad we weren't paying Mr. Preston the bottom third of wages. But really, if he was no good would he be doing the U17's. I think not.

shushu
11-05-2011, 10:58 PM
got to feel 4 these kids, listened to most of the game on the radio and they seemed to come on in the third but to no reward.....im really curious as to what will happen in the near future, we have seattle coming up which is no powerhouse by any means but the rest of the stretch is brutal to say the least...ride this storm out untill christmas and then axe mumbles if nothing has changed....................

lostsheep
11-06-2011, 12:29 AM
i was at tonights game, and was watching your bench, as the game progressed, Sorry but from what i saw on the ice and what emotions i seen on the bench i was disappointed. I seen moments of confusion on the ice, plays looked to be scrambled and out of order, and looking on the bench nothing. NO verbal direction, no emotion on rich's face nothing. Just a somber downtrodden look of bewilderment! the team i think is ok. they showed when they can make a good break out pass and stay in positions they are effective. maybe a good coach is all you may need to push past this rut they seem to be in. the clock is ticking, and i wouldnt want to see your young team suffer for no reason.

canes77
11-06-2011, 05:58 AM
Unfortunately, another one of the coach's 'losing streak' excuses didn't matter. The Canes #1 goalie came back but that failed to make a difference last night. I'm not upset the Canes lost to Sask but to be losing 6-0 at one point is terrible. PA is a team in trouble yet the Canes couldn't do much to them either.

We all blame 'Comatose Preston' but there are two other coaches. If the one is always quiet and unresponsive, what is stopping the other two from speaking up to prepare/motivate the guys? None of them appear to be doing a thing to try and succeed. We were all happy with the win on Wed but in reality, the Canes BARELY beat the 2nd worst team in the WHL, and still gave up 40+ shots to them. (Having very high shots against is a definate sign of poor coaching.)

Think back to when you were a kid, how many of you would stay on a hockey/sports team that went 1-15? And what youth coach would even get re-hired (or continue his/her job next season) after that? Hockey careers are being wasted and destroyed here for these 25+ great young men !!

Why won't the Board make a move?! It is becoming a joke and disgrace to this city. I don't care if it's a major move or simply adding a 3rd coach to the bench... do something!! I dare one, just ONE, Board member to communicate with the fans, or media, or simply the shareholders with one tidbit of info/excuse. Prove to us that you do something in your role! Until then, we're left to believe that each of you is choosing to portray yourself as a coward.

If the problem is that the club is out of cash, then tell us.

If, in fact, that is the case, then try this joke of a plan... why not pick 3 extra numbers during the 50-50 draw at the next home game, and have those 3 individuals go coach the team for free. They've been watching the same team as the coaches, they know the players, I bet they could do no worse than 0-13 or 1-15.

If that's too unrealistic, then let's have a second 50-50 draw each game to pay for the new coach's salary, I bet fans would have no problem supporting that idea, it would generate thousands of $$ per game!

To the Board and/or Preston... I believe Maxwell, Shockey, Dyck, Ryan McGill, Rich Sutter, and even Darryl Sutter are available to coach... or have ALL of them recently declined an offer?!

The Canes have 3 days off before the next game. Don't forget that Tri-City comes to town next weekend. If nothing improves this upcoming week, that game against TC is likely going to be the most lopsided game in WHL history...

PS: One last idea... the Canes seem to play hard the last 10 minutes of every game... maybe it's because of the kiss cam? Since it appears to give the crowd some energy, why not have the kiss cam every period during the media timeout?

canes77
11-06-2011, 06:06 AM
Sorry but from what i saw on the ice and what emotions i seen on the bench i was disappointed...

NO verbal direction, no emotion on rich's face nothing. Just a somber downtrodden look of bewilderment!

maybe a good coach is all you may need to push past this rut they seem to be in. the clock is ticking, and i wouldnt want to see your young team suffer for no reason.

lostsheep, no need to say sorry, we all understand how bad it is here with the Canes... and thanks, we are glad to hear a non-Canes fan agree with us with the current situation :)

taylor0017
11-06-2011, 09:18 AM
I would like someone from the board to come out and make a public announcement , as to what the Canes Board is thinking, what are the plans ? do we have a plan? Are we broke? At least say something ...cause right now the way I see it , is they are just sitting back , or are they all scared ? You hear all these rumours , but you hear nothing from them . Is Preston's job safe? JUST TELL US SOMETHING !!!! :burningmad::burningmad::burningmad:

blacksheep
11-06-2011, 09:34 AM
I would like someone from the board to come out and make a public announcement , as to what the Canes Board is thinking, what are the plans ? do we have a plan? Are we broke? At least say something ...cause right now the way I see it , is they are just sitting back , or are they all scared ? You hear all these rumours , but you hear nothing from them . Is Preston's job safe? JUST TELL US SOMETHING !!!! :burningmad::burningmad::burningmad:
here's a link from the hurricanes web site as to contacting them. maybe give it shot and see what you get. board@lethbridgehurricanes.com

reims
11-06-2011, 11:30 AM
I was also at the game and thought lethbridge deserved a better fate...but i agree it seems to be a coaching issue...there was no emotion from preston or kabyahma, no timeout nothing...it was like a "here we go again attitude"....on a positive note for the canes they didnt quit, they won the third period, which doesnt suprize me as the blades have been horrendous in the thirds this year "possible conditioning issue?".... Hood and braes were excelent for you guys...but i feel for you as fans to see this happening...pne last thing, Liston came in and played very solid where as ketlo looked terrible.

lethbridgefan83
11-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Its all much of the same old in Lethbridge.. Its only the beginning of November and you can pretty much write the Hurricanes off in terms of a playoff spot.. Last year you needed 67 points to get into 8th spot.. For us to acheive that we would have to play just about .600 hockey for the rest of the year, that just isnt going to happen..

A lot of people are saying the Hurricanes are broke and they cant afford a new coach or GM.. How can they not afford to make a switch, if this team plays less then .200 hockey this year, you will be lucky to get 1500-1600 people in the stands.. If you beleive anything the club says their are anywhere from 2000-2200 seasons tickets, that means that there are less then 1000 people per night paying full tilt for a ticket right now, and that number decreases each game. I also dont know how the "discounted tickets" ($12 tickets from Sobeys/Coaldale Food Market/Lethbridge Herald/Credit Union ETC) are factored into that total attendance number, so there could be as little as 300-500 people paying full tilt.. Would you pay $20+/ticket to watch this team, I know if I wasnt a season ticket holder I wouldnt be coming..

Its obvious that after going on a stretch of 1 Win in 16 games that nothing is going to be done.. The Hurricanes will finish in last by 20-30 points to the next worst team and then at next years Annual Meeting everyone will wonder "Why we lost money?" and we will be told that "Next Year will be our year"... Is this starting to sound like a really bad remake of "Groundhog Day"??

grainbear
11-06-2011, 04:12 PM
No team is going to win any hockey game with 4 defensemen . Whether it is injuries, flu or what ever it is not doable in todays game with the speed and abilities of any team. A couple of things I notice , firstly I think part of what is wrong is that we are not starting camps soon enough. Secondly, Preston and Matt nees to show more emotion and not just at the officals that has already cost them a $1000.00 buck this year. This needs to be shown in the pat on the back after a good shift and not just sitting the player if he screws up. These are kids and not adults, teaching is most effective right at the time of the great move or bad move . We have great people who are making the right decisions in who is making the team. But they are not doing a great job in teaching .We need a teacher plain and simple and either Matt and Rick learn this quickly or the spring thaw is coming and we will once again see a management change they are leaving the board no choice as revenues go down and the deficient is climbing. I still want to believe that it is doable but each game makes it harder and harder.

canes watcher
11-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Ok I get the fact that you didn't really like Mike, but even you have to admit he is better than ANYTHING we have had in the last decade or more. It is really too bad we weren't paying Mr. Preston the bottom third of wages. But really, if he was no good would he be doing the U17's. I think not.

Huh? Bare, did you read the post? Nowhere in there does it say he was a bad coach or I didn't like him. And the team is paying Preston in the bottom third. His combined wage is good, but it is considerably less than many teams are paying in that position. Please re-read my post.

shushu
11-07-2011, 11:03 PM
[QUOTE=canes77;172159]Think back to when you were a kid, how many of you would stay on a hockey/sports team that went 1-15? And what youth coach would even get re-hired (or continue his/her job next season) after that? Hockey careers are being wasted and destroyed here for these 25+ great young men !!

Why won't the Board make a move?! It is becoming a joke and disgrace to this city. I don't care if it's a major move or simply adding a 3rd coach to the bench... do something!! I dare one, just ONE, Board member to communicate with the fans, or media, or simply the shareholders with one tidbit of info/excuse. Prove to us that you do something in your role! Until then, we're left to believe that each of you is choosing to portray yourself as a coward.

the new president don clark said via email that the bad hockey is kinda taking away from the 25th year celabration (NO SH#T) thanks for the tip..he also said that we should go to wednesdays game and remember all the people that have died for this country, WHICH I TOTALLY AGREE WITH 100%.....but it sure seems like alot of dancing around the problems......from the sounds of it they are staying the course with you know who..the fans can simply not but ticket if they choose not to come but these kids have no choice they cant leave...if true it going to make for a long year or two for the players and fans...........ps....i was in and out listening to the radio at work so forgive me if i missed the whole story...........double ps....WHAT IS UP WITH BALOG?...think about it, 1/4 of the season is gone and still this kid is sitting at home from last ive heard...good or bad, this kids career is being thrown away..........

Jake
11-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Balog is playing in Weyburn.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
11-09-2011, 12:55 PM
The goal scoring race is pretty close:

Etem + Shinkaruk ......... 45
Hurricanes entire team .. 44

Pretty sad really.

canes77
11-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Not a big deal... Balog didn't make the club this fall or last fall. Kind of like Bennefield who was also cut last fall and then again this fall by Portland. I know both guys had high potential but neither performed well in the few games I saw of each guy. And if Balog was so great, one of the other 21 teams would have picked him up by now, note that Guiel is playing on Seattle now.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
11-10-2011, 06:04 PM
[QUOTE=canes77;172159] Hockey careers are being wasted and destroyed here for these 25+ great young men !!
the new president don clark said via email that the bad hockey is kinda taking away from the 25th year celabration (NO SH#T) thanks for the tip..he also said that we should go to wednesdays game and remember all the people that have died for this country, WHICH I TOTALLY AGREE WITH 100%.

I finally had a chance to listen to Monday's podcast. While reading your post, a guote from Don Clark in his statement came to mind, and I could not help but shake my head at the irony contained in his quip. I know he was talking about Remembrance Day and such and I in no way mean to compare the suffering of our soldiers and veterans to the pains the current Canes players are experiencing. However, to as close as possibley quote Clark, "We can't forget the pain and suffering of those that paid the ultimate price". Right now every young man on the Hurricanes team is paying the ultimate price as far as hockey goes. These kids' careers and future are being effected in such a bad way by the Canes coaching staff, they are paying the price of not only not improving, but actually getting worse as hockey players. Take Merkley for example. The kid looked great in his first few games and had 4 points in his 1st 4 games. Now he is a healthy scratch? Makes me scratch my head and say what is really going on with this team and the coaching staff!
The Canes are 1 - 16 in their last 17 games. Horrible! If it were not for a 5 minute clipping major in the Cane's 14th game of the streak, that some argue was not warranted, the Hurricanes basically have LOST SEVENTEEN GAMES IN A ROW!!
Again, I am not trying to run the team and say these coaches must go......but OMG. The Canes record is almost beyond description, but we'll just call it Horrific. I am not aware of any team in any sport in any league anywhere that would not have an entire set of new faces behind the bench with this almost unbelievable record.

2speak4all
11-10-2011, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE=shushu;172255]

I finally had a chance to listen to Monday's podcast. While reading your post, a guote from Don Clark in his statement came to mind, and I could not help but shake my head at the irony contained in his quip. I know he was talking about Remembrance Day and such and I in no way mean to compare the suffering of our soldiers and veterans to the pains the current Canes players are experiencing. However, to as close as possibley quote Clark, "We can't forget the pain and suffering of those that paid the ultimate price". Right now every young man on the Hurricanes team is paying the ultimate price as far as hockey goes. These kids' careers and future are being effected in such a bad way by the Canes coaching staff, they are paying the price of not only not improving, but actually getting worse as hockey players. Take Merkley for example. The kid looked great in his first few games and had 4 points in his 1st 4 games. Now he is a healthy scratch? Makes me scratch my head and say what the f&@$ is really going on with this team and the coaching staff!
The Canes are 1 - 16 in their last 17 games. Horrible! If it were not for a 5 minute clipping major in the Cane's 14th game of the streak, that some argue was not warranted, the Hurricanes basically have LOST SEVENTEEN GAMES IN A ROW!!
Again, I am not trying to run the team and say these coaches must go......but OMG. The Canes record is almost beyond words, but we'll just call it Horrific. I am not aware of any team in any sport in any league anywhere that would not have an entire set of new faces behind the bench with this almost unbelievable record. This is plain friggin crazy!!!!

First of all, when you sit someone like Merkley, it tells me there is something wrong. Did anyone ever think that maybe he is being disciplined for some action other than hockey related? The kid doesn't have a perfect record coming from Calgary. He had a reputation of doing as he pleased when and where he wanted, more particularly in his off ice lifestyle. He was brought in at the end of the last years season to observe and see what was involved in playing for a Dub team and if he wanted to be part of any team in the Dub, he would have change his ways and his behavior drastically. Maybe he doesn't completely made that committment.

As for coaching, how long did Portland go before they made any changes? A very long time. Lethbridge has not been exposed to anything close to what Portland did for how many years. And as long as they are still getting close to 2000 fans, no changes are needed. Gee, the Ice get the same amount of fans and they put a winning team on the ice, so there is no reason for the league to step in for anytime soon.

These players need to stand up and take responsibility for their play as well. They made it to this level of hockey playing some pretty smart hockey through all of their learning years. If they cant apply any of that knowledge and skill, then they have to take some of the blame as well.

As for lucky bounces, well you create your own lucky bounces. The team does not skate and work for 60 mins on the ice. Until they are committed to working for a solid 60 mins each and EVERY game, they are not going to see any positive results. You cannot work for half of the game and you cannot work for a full 60 mins one game and then slack off again for the next 5 or 6.

Last year we heard the team needed to reduce the amount of penalties. This year, they are actually less penalties on average than they did last year. This year the fans want them the team to be more physical. Whenever they do that, they are getting into penalty trouble. Let's all get on the same train. Do we want less penalties??? Do we want them to be more physical ??? IMO, the Canes are not deep enough to have a totally physical team. They can't hardly play 40 -50 mins a game now, and if you factor in a physical game, they won't be able to do even that much.

The major trade shake down was suppose to create something different. It didn't. What happens if they do trade out the coaching staff and there is still no difference?? Then there has been a major financial burden to cover and still no improvements with the team.

The team has to accept some responsibility for the way they play. Everyone can all talk and think they know what should be done, but then if everyone had all the right answers, they wouldn't be in the stands watching, but rather be behind the bench collecting a very nice salary for all of their knowledge.

Just IMO anyways, as we all have one!

HURRICANE'S ROCK
11-10-2011, 08:36 PM
First of all, when you sit someone like Merkley, it tells me there is something wrong. !

That part of your post I agree with. I just choose to put a lot of the blame on the coaches. They are doing such a brutal job, all of the young talent we have and are going to have will be ruined by them.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
11-10-2011, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE=HURRICANE'S ROCK;172417]
As for coaching, how long did Portland go before they made any changes? A very long time. Lethbridge has not been exposed to anything close to what Portland did for how many years. !

Say what? We are approaching, or may have surpassed Portlands futility. Also, just because there may have been a team that was worse than us once upon a time, you cannot justify our record. The mere fact you are comparing us to one of the worst teams ever to hit the ice in the entire CHL pretty much destroys your hypothesis. I know we are rebuilding etc but come on. Our current record, and our record for the last 2 and 1/4 years has become the butt of jokes all around the league.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
11-10-2011, 08:52 PM
I don't know if it is my new laptop or if you all are seeing the same thing, but when posting a retort and including the other posters comment, they are coming up labeled as though they were my posts, which makes it seem like we are talking to ourselves. Anyone else notice this?

2speak4all
11-10-2011, 09:22 PM
I don't know if it is my new laptop or if you all are seeing the same thing, but when posting a retort and including the other posters comment, they are coming up labeled as though they were my posts, which makes it seem like we are talking to ourselves. Anyone else notice this?

in the other retorts you were posting

Iofthestorm
11-10-2011, 11:57 PM
The players did get here through their skill and years of coaching but keep in mind that half of them are rookies and new to the league. We have players with a history of good performance or they wouldn't be in the league and we have a coaching staff with a history of losing. The problem would seem obvious. What if they don't make a change and things stay the same? Believe it or not these are young men who are likely very upset by the situation, they deserve better and the team and league should not allow the situation, no matter the cause, to continue. As for the team not playing 60 minutes, they lack confidence and in this kind of streak I'm sure they get discouraged, far different than not caring if the lose. I'm am also sure every player would like the situation to be different. What about the question of why the coaching staff can't get a 60 minute effort. It is a game of systems, without an understanding of systems, or with the lack thereof, you end up with the current team and current results. I don't think saying that getting 2000 fans means that this can continue. Without change we would still be starting fires with sticks and living in caves. It is past the time where someone should have taken action. This is not acceptable for the sake of the young men on this team.

canes77
11-11-2011, 05:36 AM
The players did get here through their skill and years of coaching but keep in mind that half of them are rookies and new to the league. We have players with a history of good performance or they wouldn't be in the league and we have a coaching staff with a history of losing.

You're right. If we compared every WHLer, the Canes players have had just has much success in Bantam and Midget as they did. So it's 100% not the players fault here! We can blame the finances all we want, but it's still definately the coaching at fault here. Preston has 20 years of coaching experience, why isn't he trying anything new? He's been to the Stanley Cup more than once as an assistant coach, didnt he learn anything from those experiences? If he can't get fired during this slump, I guess no one can. Why don't the other two coaches become fearless and try something different and/or risky? The club can't fire them since there's obviously no money to pay both a fired assistant coach and a new assistant coach, right?

Unfortunately, none of the Canes 3 coaches have had any coaching success. Although it was at a lower level, the Canes colour guy (who is great) has been the head coach on more championship teams than our 3 coaches combined. Something is wrong when that's the case. Even hockey dads are usually a special group, the Canes could bring in any 3 of the player's dads and I'm sure they would do no worse!

As for the high number of rookies, we can't blame it on that fact. Red Deer is tied for having the 3rd most rookies in the WHL yet has the league's best winning percentage (.735 as of this morning). On the other hand, Calgary has the least number of rookies yet is still 5th in the Central.

moon
11-11-2011, 04:48 PM
As for coaching, how long did Portland go before they made any changes? A very long time. Lethbridge has not been exposed to anything close to what Portland did for how many years. And as long as they are still getting close to 2000 fans, no changes are needed. Gee, the Ice get the same amount of fans and they put a winning team on the ice, so there is no reason for the league to step in for anytime soon.

Good to see that the Hurricanes are now being held to the standards of a team with one of the worst runs in WHL history and a team with close to, if not the, worst attendance in the league with 1/4 of the population.

Perhaps that can be the Canes new slogan: Sure we suck but at least we are not as bad as the worst teams of all time.

The fans can even chant: 2nd Worst! 2nd Worst!

Because at least as bad as Preston has taken this team there still exists a team or two in the history of the WHL that have been run worse than us.

grainbear
11-11-2011, 10:03 PM
If you were the coach what is the first thing you would do? Seriously lets hear what 1 thing you would do if you were named coach tonight and the gm let you change one thing and only one whether it is a player,system or personnel. My one thing would be to get a player that would be the key on the powerplay and give them the green light to do whatever they want with those on the ice with them

moon
11-11-2011, 11:47 PM
If you were the coach what is the first thing you would do? Seriously lets hear what 1 thing you would do if you were named coach tonight and the gm let you change one thing and only one whether it is a player,system or personnel. My one thing would be to get a player that would be the key on the powerplay and give them the green light to do whatever they want with those on the ice with them

I would ask the board to can the GM because as long as it is Preston providing the players not much a coach can do.

If that wasn't an option start playing the young kids more.

Let them know it would be tough, would be frustrating and make sure to really work with them to not get too down, but if we are going to be sub-.200 then we might as well get these kids ready for the future and get them as much playing time to see what they have, what they need to work on.

moon
11-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Look at Moon's post above. The quote he copied says it was from me but it is not one of my posts. Does anyone else notice this in the last few days?

That was the first time that I saw it.

grainbear
11-12-2011, 08:54 AM
I thought I should share this line from one of my buddies.

"
Hurricanes Are First Class and a Model to Even the Pros "

Only problem was that he meant to comment Hurricanes Dressing Room. However, tonights another night and all I want to see is a good effort against Tri-Cities and if we lose we lose and if we win we all will be pleased

loudi94
11-12-2011, 09:10 AM

Discipline. On and off the ice. Each player would be given a job to do and they would need to do it. These kids are just that..kids. Treat kids with a firm but fair hand and provide them the guidance which they need. You can see they're not getting that. Junior coaches need to be teachers. I see that in Matt K, but he's not THE coach.

Bocephus
11-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Hurricanes, good luck. Try not to be outscored tonight by Hughsman.
Btw, I'd like to toss my coaching hat towards the boys if Mumbles is erased.
I feel I'm qualified as I have coaching in my bloodlines. My dad was an assistant coach for my atom house league team in the 80's.
Cheers

canes77
11-13-2011, 02:34 AM

The top PP team has 31 PP goals so far, the Canes only have 15.

One thought is to overhaul the PP. I would take my PP unit into the video room and have them study either San Jose's or Chicago's PP. (Both were top 5 in NHL PP last yr.) The main difference is to focus on QUICK passing.

As for who my #1 PP unit would be... excluding the guy screening the goalie, the other 4 should be on their OPPOSITE side to fire off one-timers... since I can't try anything out in practise, I'd first try Merkley and Bezuch as the two wingers, Hood to screen the goalie/win rebounds, Oslanski at left point with his powerful shot, and either Braes or Maxwell playing the right point shooting left AND to take the faceoffs on the left. Merkley could take the faceoffs on the right.

We could also watch video of a previous Canes PP unit. Nothing can replace the fab five of Boychuk, Fadden, King, Sceviour and Sbisa... :)

canes77
11-13-2011, 02:37 AM
And I wouldn't be afraid of benching veterans if needed! If the rookie 4th line is the best line, why not play them 15-20 minutes a game rather than 5?!

Iofthestorm
11-13-2011, 05:28 PM
How about the ultimate cost of the coaching staff to the team... If Preston signed an extension, and assuming his salary is around $150k. It would cost $300k to buy him out never mind the balance of the coahing staff. This coupled with the salaries of a new coaching staff could reach $800k over the next two years. This would leave the franchise in financial ruins. The other option is leave the current coaching staff in place and suffer the losses, of reducing attendance and paying their contacts over the next two years. If the team was to pay out the contracts they would likely be in such a weak financial position the the WHL may need to step in to save one of their franchises. I am assuming the league keeps "community owned" teams on a shorter leash due to their reduced capacity to cover losses. The other option is find a purchaser with deep pockets who can solve the problems. A nice situation for your 25th anniversary. It is in the city's best interest to have the team around since the lease on the building, which is likely long term to get the renovations, will pay for those same renovations. Is approaching the city to support the Canes an option? In any case the coaches may as well have ownership of the team at this point, they can call all of the shots. Another option is to make them uncomfortable at home and maybe they will step aside. They may leave more of a legacy than the current horribly losing streak. Ownership has it privileges even if you get it through backing the team into a corner.

loudi94
11-13-2011, 05:36 PM
How about the ultimate cost of the coaching staff to the team... If Preston signed an extension, and assuming his salary is around $150k. It would cost $300k to buy him out never mind the balance of the coahing staff. This coupled with the salaries of a new coaching staff could reach $800k over the next two years. This would leave the franchise in financial ruins. The other option is leave the current coaching staff in place and suffer the losses, of reducing attendance and paying their contacts over the next two years. If the team was to pay out the contracts they would likely be in such a weak financial position the the WHL may need to step in to save one of their franchises. I am assuming the league keeps "community owned" teams on a shorter leash due to their reduced capacity to cover losses. The other option is find a purchaser with deep pockets who can solve the problems. A nice situation for your 25th anniversary. It is in the city's best interest to have the team around since the lease on the building, which is likely long term to get the renovations, will pay for those same renovations. Is approaching the city to support the Canes an option? In any case the coaches may as well have ownership of the team at this point, they can call all of the shots. Another option is to make them uncomfortable at home and maybe they will step aside. They may leave more of a legacy than the current horribly losing streak. Ownership has it privileges even if you get it through backing the team into a corner.

Why not a "Preston sucks" chant at the games? Better do it while there is anything left of the crowd. I noticed Costco had a 6 game pack for $75. Don't imagine it will be a hot stocking stuffer item.

lethbridgefan83
11-13-2011, 06:59 PM
I feel that Preston cant do anything else to embarass this city anymore then what he already has.. Hurricanes fans may as well settle in for the long haul with this joker.. Lets face it, the "Old Boys Club" rules this club and never has, and never will be able to admit any fault... It will always be the "bad bounce" or "injury" or "crappy scheduling" etc etc etc.. Nobody on the board of directors gives a s*it about the fans, the players or the city, they only care about the "Position" of being on the B.O.D.. So Canes fans we can settle in for a long winter and then another resounding rendition of "Next Year" come March when we have less the 20pts in the Standings..

scarp7
11-13-2011, 08:12 PM
agreed!! how does it feel fans, to be the laughing stock of the whl, maybe all of the CHL. If i was preston I would be ashmed of myself. I feel soo bad for the players, I wont be suprise if the vets requested a trade. I believe it loyalty 100 percent. in this situation thought, I would ask for a trade, this is just embarrasing. good luck the rest of the way

loudi94
11-13-2011, 09:02 PM
agreed!! how does it feel fans, to be the laughing stock of the whl, maybe all of the CHL. If i was preston I would be ashmed of myself. I feel soo bad for the players, I wont be suprise if the vets requested a trade. I believe it loyalty 100 percent. in this situation thought, I would ask for a trade, this is just embarrasing. good luck the rest of the way

There certainly have been rumours that some players have asked to be dealt. How many and who, I can't say.

whlhockey12
11-13-2011, 09:43 PM
the 16's and 17's are still somewhat okay for the long run, even still they are not being developed properly however.. as for the vets i think every player wants out.. at least 4 or 5 of them would have a way better shot on a different team.. get preston out already, should have been done 10+ games ago, before these kids get their careers killed.

whlking
11-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Here's what I don't understand about the current way the Hurricanes are running ship. It's no great discovery when I say their is 0% chance this club makes the playoffs, which begs the question, why do they currently employ a twenty year old goaltender? Is that not taking away starts from the likes of Liston and Kovacs, to see if you have anything worth bragging about for next year.

To me for the rest of the year, you get rid of all of your twenties,be it trade or re-assignment, and throw the kids in the deep end, swimming or drowning. The best thing Preston and Co can do now is allow the young players they have to be leaders now and take the lumps as they come because it's not as if lumps aren't currently being recieved.The minute the likes of Maxwell,Merkley,Erkamps, Henry etc etc feel like they have complete control of this team will be the minute these kids start to flourish as players and the minute Hurricane fans will start to see positive steps with this organization.

jkanes
11-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Here's what I don't understand about the current way the Hurricanes are running ship. It's no great discovery when I say their is 0% chance this club makes the playoffs, which begs the question, why do they currently employ a twenty year old goaltender? Is that not taking away starts from the likes of Liston and Kovacs, to see if you have anything worth bragging about for next year.

To me for the rest of the year, you get rid of all of your twenties,be it trade or re-assignment, and throw the kids in the deep end, swimming or drowning. The best thing Preston and Co can do now is allow the young players they have to be leaders now and take the lumps as they come because it's not as if lumps aren't currently being recieved.The minute the likes of Maxwell,Merkley,Erkamps, Henry etc etc feel like they have complete control of this team will be the minute these kids start to flourish as players and the minute Hurricane fans will start to see positive steps with this organization.

We keep these overagers as leaders for these young guys on the team. Without them, our young guys would totally be lost out there. They provide great influences. Yes, I do feel bad for these guys, especially the twenties who rely on his season to prove they can keep going. Sutter already has that advantage of being claimed, but braes and ketlo still have to go out there and try to earn a spot in a training camp. And it's not easy when yu have a team like this led by that kind of coach.

canes77
11-14-2011, 03:00 AM
The fans are great in cheering the PLAYERS as they enter/leave the tunnel but we need to also support the players and their need in having a quality head coach. Their careers are being ruined! I wish the coaches had to walk across the ice with the players to the far gate... imagine the fans if that happened!

As for a chant regarding Preston... interesting idea. Why not both a chant and some banners hanging in the crowd? Maybe that would get the media and WHL's attention. The WHL probably assumes Leth fans are indifferent here in the so-called library. There are no newspaper/radio/internet/TV reps or bloggers that report any of our displeasure on this site... but it'd be the opposite if fans started to voice their displeasure during the games. Not that I expect any "Occupy Wall Street" characters to show up.

canes77
11-14-2011, 03:16 AM
How about the ultimate cost of the coaching staff to the team... If Preston signed an extension, and assuming his salary is around $150k. It would cost $300k to buy him out never mind the balance of the coahing staff. This coupled with the salaries of a new coaching staff could reach $800k over the next two years. This would leave the franchise in financial ruins. The other option is leave the current coaching staff in place and suffer the losses, of reducing attendance and paying their contacts over the next two years. If the team was to pay out the contracts they would likely be in such a weak financial position the the WHL may need to step in to save one of their franchises.

I am sure (at least I certainty hope...) the Board has met and discussed the two options you brought up. The numbers must come up as better for the club to keep the status quo... yikes!