PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Conference

twentyone
10-27-2011, 08:28 AM
I have been looking at the standings and early indications seem that it could be a dog fight in the east for the whole season. I believe right now the East is wide open. No team team stands out as a power house, but that said I see a group of solid teams and it could be a entertaining year. To break it down right off the bat I am throwing Calgary, Swift Current, Lethbridge, and PA under the bus and feel all 4 teams wont make the playoffs. PA is probably the better team of the group but this slow start will be tough to climb out of. So that said the rest of the conference teams are all playoff bound and any one of these teams could come out on top.

So far the standings sit like this:

Kootney – Lost some key players from last years championship team. They are off to a good start however I believe it is a carry over of confidence from last year. We shall see if they can maintain this for the whole year, they are relying on good team defense.

Regina – They are off to a good start. Seem to have bought into the new coach. Its early so again we shall see if they can maintain this but early indications seem to have the Pats staying competitive. Weal staying healthy will be a big factor.

Medicine Hat – Do these guys ever rebuild? Medicine hat is always competitive and will be one of the top teams in the East again this year. Emerson Etem is off to a good start and will carry this team. But again not quite a powerhouse.

Edmonton – Here is a team that lacks the offensive punch (that said they are putting up the numbers) but do have a solid defense and could be a tough team to play against. I don’t see a conference title in their cards but then again I wouldn’t want to face them in the first round of the playoffs.

Brandon – I like Brandon to come out on top this year in the east. KM always fields a competitive team Stone looks to be the real deal and Dziurzynski trade makes them a solid team. Goaltending could be an issue but we shall see if Anderson/Boes tandem can deliver. I have my doubts.

Saskatoon – I have liked what I have seen so far from this team. Defense is very solid, Makarov has impressed early on and the forwards seem to never stop moving their feet. Once Trask and Collins comeback from injuries I like the Blades chances this year. That been said with Saskatoon hosting the memorial cup next year Lorne might be tweaking this team looking ahead to next year. I still think no matter what Saskatoon will be competitive all year.

Red Deer – Red Deer might be wishing they would have drafted Ty Rattie first overall instead of RNH. This team will miss not having RNH in the lineup but good on him for his early success in Edmonton. Without RNH Red Deer still has a decent team but again are no powerhouse to take the east like they would be with RNH. I thought goaltending might be an issue but early on looks like Bartosak is a nice transition from Keumper.

Moose Jaw – Off to a slow start in my opinion. I thought Moose Jaw would be one of the top teams in the East and I still think that. Especially with Quinton Howden back. I see them battling Brandon for top spot.

All in all I don’t see a clearcut favorite in the East. Trade deadline deals might change that but I foresee a very entertaining year and any one of these teams could come out on top of the East.