PDA

View Full Version : ROYALS' FORWARD KEVIN SUNDHER NAMED TO TEAM WHL SUBWAY SERIES

CdnSailor
10-27-2011, 12:56 PM
The Victoria Royals are proud to announce that the team’s leading scorer, forward Kevin Sundher, has been named to Team WHL for the 2011 CHL SUBWAY® Super Series.

Sundher, a 6’0”, 177-pound product of Surrey, BC, is ranked third in the WHL with 25 points (5G-20A) in 15 regular season games. Sundher, the seventh overall pick by the Chilliwack Bruins in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft, leads the WHL with 20 assists. In the last six Royals’ games, Sundher has produced two goals and eight assists for 10 points, which includes a four-point game against the Kelowna Rockets on October 15. In 230 regular season WHL games, Sundher has recorded 73 goals and 129 assists for 202 points.

The CHL SUBWAY® Super Series is a six-game competition between regional teams of CHL All-Stars and the Russian National Junior Team. The series is a key component of the identification process for Team Canada prior to the IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship.

“The Royals’ organization is extremely proud of Kevin and what he has accomplished this season,” said Royals’ General Manager and Head Coach Marc Habscheid. “Kevin has earned the opportunity to showcase his ability as a skilled playmaker and his overall talents for Team WHL and we wish him the best when he faces Team Russia in Saskatchewan.”

Sundher becomes the third player from the Royals’ franchise to play in the CHL SUBWAY® Super Series. Forward Mark Santorelli played for Team WHL in Cranbrook in the 2007 event and Forward Ryan Howse was a member of Team WHL last year in Prince George.

Team WHL faces Team Russia the final two games of the 2011 CHL SUBWAY® Super Series. Sundher will play in the fifth game of the series in Regina on Wednesday, November 16. Moose Jaw plays host to the final contest on Thursday, November 17. For the complete Team WHL roster for the 2011 CHL SUBWAY® Super Series, go to www.whl.ca. All games will be broadcast on Sportsnet.

2011 SUBWAY® Super Series Schedule of Games:
Game 1 – Monday, November 7 at Victoriaville, QC
Game 2 – Wednesday, November 9 at Quebec City, QC
Game 3 – Thursday, November 10 at Ottawa, ON
Game 4 – Monday, November 14 at Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Game 5 – Wednesday, November 16 at Regina, SK
Game 6 – Thursday, November 17 at Moose Jaw, SK

Victoria returns home to the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre this Friday, October 28th when they open up a seven game home stand against the Seattle Thunderbirds. Game time is 7:05 p.m. For further details or to purchase your tickets today, visit the Victoria Royals Ticket Office, www.victoriaroyals.com, or call 250-220-7889.

pontcanna
10-28-2011, 12:07 AM
Sundher to play for WHL stars against Russians

BY CLEVE DHEENSAW, TIMESCOLONIST.COM OCTOBER 27, 2011 10:25 PM

Forward Kevin Sundher has certainly made an impression this season, leading the Victoria Royals in scoring and currently standing third in the Western Hockey League with 25 points in 15 games.

The slithery set-up man must now also leave an impression at the next level when he plays for the WHL all-star team Nov. 16 in Regina against the Russian junior team in the Subway Super Series. A different WHL roster lineup will suit up the following night against the Russians in Moose Jaw.

Those games conclude the 2011 Super Series, which begins with the QMJHL all-stars playing the Russian juniors Nov. 7 in Victoriaville and Nov. 9 at Quebec City. The OHL all-stars play the Russians Nov. 10 in Ottawa and Nov. 14 in Sault Ste. Marie.

“This is a big privilege but it’s just one step to another goal [playing for Canada in the 2012 world junior championship in late December and early January in Edmonton and Calgary],” said Sundher.

Assessment of performances in the Super Series will be crucial in finalizing the Canadian roster for the world juniors.

“There might be some nervousness, but I’m confident in my abilities,” said Sundher, a third-round draft pick of the Buffalo Sabres.

“Hockey is hockey, no matter the level. I know I will do well. I’ve had a good season so far in Victoria. This is an opportunity to make even more of a name for myself.”

The bigger the stage, the bigger the rewards. But so too greater the challenge.

“When you are thrown in with the best like that, you have to be a difference-maker every shift,” said Sundher.

“I will just play my game, play it with energy and jump, and hopefully that will translate to the big team [world junior squad].”

Sundher is the third player from this franchise to play for the WHL in the Subway Super Series, following forward Mark Santorelli in 2007 and forward Ryan Howse last year. The Royals, in their first season in Victoria, played the first five seasons as the Chilliwack Bruins.

“This is a good group of guys who have really helped me out,” said Sundher, of his Royals teammates.

“I know I represent the club and all our players when I go to the Super Series and I want to represent them well.”

Royals GM and head coach Marc Habscheid broke the news to Sundher on Thursday morning.

“Kevin has earned the opportunity to showcase his ability as a skilled play-maker,” he said.