PDA

View Full Version : Giants 1 Cougars 2 - Oct 29, 2011

dondo
10-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Cougars Nip Giants
Vancouver 1 Prince George 2

Jackson Whistle was solid in his second start of the season, but Drew Owsley was better. Owsley turned away 28 of 29 shots to give his team a one goal victory. The GIants took game one of two in Prince George, but could not find the net enough for the sweep. The G's end their 4 game winning streak on a hard fought battle, in which for the most part they out-played their oppoenents, but could not solve a hot goaltender.

The teams played to a scoreless first. Greg Fraser stripped a fairly lackidaisical Marek Tvrdon, coming back in his own zone, of the puck while the Giants were on the PP. Fraser took the puck to the net, beating Whistle and opening the scoring with a short-handed tally. James Henry got that one back on the PP late in the first. Tvrdon and Neil Manning with the assists. David Musil who had been solid on the back-end took a 2 for instigating, 5 and 10 challenging Jesse Forsberg who leveled a player in neutral ice. Forsberg got 5 for fighting, yet not tagged for the questionable hit. The two teams played a very cautious 3rd period getting minimal shots on goal and playing mainly not to lose as opposed to trying to win. This did not play into the Giants favour as they did not press trying to get multiple shots on Owsley forcing him to make harder saves. In fact they only had 4 total shots on Owsley in the third and that could have been their downfall as they got caught passing too much and not just getting the puck through and crashing the net. The Cougars scored a late PP marker to get a lead they would not relinquish. The win ended the Cougars 8 game lossing streak and was a game that the Giants could have taken. The GIants went 1 for 7 on the PP, almost polar opposite to the way the exact same referees called the game the night before.

Rookie Watch: Kulak (17) on the back-end, some solid shifts. Vettrl (17), had a primo scoring chance in which he fanned on the puck, also had a tough time settling down the puck at times. Sward (17) played a decent game on the second PP, with Burns and Makin (at times). Bews (17) minimal shifts. Bellerive (17) was scratched, for what reason I know not. Houck (16) suspended for at least one game

Fight Night: Musil v. J Forsberg, a mighty bout, which saw both combatants get their shots in and Musil with the take-down.

Zebra Cage: same officiating crew with opposite lop-sided calling. Either the Cougars were getting tagged for things that were missed the night before, or the refs only saw the home squad's sweaters tonight. Not that it should be even, but the story from one night to the next seems a tad odd to me.

The Giants out-shot the Cougars 29-18, getting the majority of their shots in the second period. They went 1 for 7 on the PP and frequently squandered their chances with some sloppy play and over-passing. They coughed up a shorthanded marker off of some casual puckhandling in their own end of the ice and it put them behind the eight ball from then on. The Cougars went 1 for 3, similar to the Giants the night before and Whistle was forced to make several tough saves to keep his team in the mix. The G's often had a hard time clearing the puck from their zone.

I was disappointed by their lack of push in the third period and felt they should have been pressing a lot harder and trying to get Owsley out of his comfort zone. It's curious to me that a bunch of the young guys who have been the reason for their recent surge were sat in favour of veterans who did less. Neil Manning was back in the line-up and got an assist, but as usual was suspect on the defensive side of the puck. Matt Bellerive was scratched. Blake Orban did not play, but it's possible he did not make the trip. Kiefer McNaugton played as a forward, so the Giants went with 10 forwards and six D, one playing up front, instead of playing Orban as well and moving McNaughton to forward. Jackson Houck was suspended for at least one and game possibly more for his check to the head penalty in game 1 in PG. It was important to get Whistle the start though as he should be starting at least 25% of the games if he hopes to be the guy next season.

The Giants have a day off before heading down to Kent to take on the Thunderbirds on Tuesday. Seattle edged out Vancouver in their first meeting, badly out shooting the G's in their own building and handing them their only regulation loss at home this season. The Giants hope to get back to road winning ways, when they take on the Thunderbirds and then go to Victoria for two back to back games this coming weekend. The boys have been playing much better as of late and have used thier young line-up to great advantage. It concernes me when Hay brings in mostly ineffectual vets instead of playing the young kids and allowing them to accelerate their development by playing in all situations as they have done for the past several games in which they had a comfortable winning streak going. Puck drops in Kent at 7:05pm PDT.

Three Stars

1) Drew Owsley
2) James Henry
3) Greg Fraser

Dondo's Hardhat: I'm giving it to Whistle, who didn't face a ton of shots, but did have to face some tough ones and was pretty good in his second start. I'm hoping he starts one of the games in Victoria. It would be a shame if he didn't.

GL1040
10-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Bellerive hurt his shoulder in Friday's game and could not go Saturday night. Orban was hurt in Thursday's practice and I do not think he made the trip, he might be out a couple of weeks in fact. Interesting to hear Don last night talk about how Makin is here on a tryout basis only, almost like he didn't expect him to stick and he was here just to fill a roster spot due to the Giants being shorthanded due to injuries and suspensions.

dondo
10-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Interesting.. see this is why a hockey community is important -- thanks for that GL I was unaware of a lot of that. Listening to the game it felt fairly balanced, but Owsley seemed to be the best player on the ice, as he frequently was when we took on the Americans.

Hopefully Orban and Bellerive aren't too seriously injured and will be back soon.

Lucic
10-31-2011, 01:47 AM
That is interesting. I didn't know about that either. Where did you hear that out of curiosity?

The game was frustrating to watch. The Giants had many opportunities to take full control of the game but simply could not capitalize. The first PG goal shouldn't have happened as Tvrdon turned the puck over on the PP (while playing defense) in his own zone. It was pretty much him and one PG defender Greg Fraser and Tvrdon basically gave him the puck as he whiffed on it. I'm not sure what he was trying to do there. This game was almost the opposite as the night before. On Friday the Cougars got a lot of PP's (some questionable calls as well) and on Saturday night the Giants were getting all the PP's (also some weak calls on the Cougars).

GL1040
10-31-2011, 09:31 AM
I heard the comments Don made about Makin in an interview inbetween periods of the WHL Live broadcast, which was PG's broadcast feed. The injury updates were posted on Twitter and in Blogs by a number of sources.

Two of the main issues I believe that contributed to the loss was the team running out of gas with a short bench and he PP struggling a bit now with Manning being on the PP, the chemistry is not there yet with him.

wombats
10-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Dont underestimate how Owsley played. He stopped most of what was tossed at him, much more than Whistle. The only one they got buy him was a PP marker.

It isnt always what did one team do to lose, it is about what the other team had to win, and this was the case this time.

The Giants fell because of great goaltending and defense. The Cougars didnt let them have rebounds and they didnt give up a lot of great scoring chances.

dondo
11-01-2011, 03:46 PM
yeah Owsley did to us in PG what he did when he was playing for Tri-Cities -- I appreciate the specifics guys (and I am sure others do as well), keep 'em coming tonight and for the Victoria games -- only thing I miss about this site as opposed to the "beat" is the lack of chat .. I could use a good Giants chat session during a game -- Is there any way we could set that up easily and in a repeatable manner? Ideas?