PDA

View Full Version : blades & memorial cup

wango tango
06-16-2005, 12:44 PM
from what i've read in the paper sounds like a bid will be made to host the 2007 memorial cup. the biggest competition will probably be between saskatoon, calgary, vancouver, and red deer. i've also heard rumours of a 2009 world junior championships bid, after finishing as the bridesmaid the last two wjhc bids to halifax and vancouver it could be time to get back to the prairies. we also get one of the canada russia challenge games this season.

Jovorock
06-16-2005, 01:13 PM
I've heard a rumor that Toigo will out bid everyone and get the 07 Mem Cup to Vancouver. I also heard that possible final games will be at BC Place.

Nook
06-20-2005, 05:15 PM
i don't know.

I don't think Money should talk.. I mean, Vancouver has the 2010 olympics, the 06 world juniors, just hosted the prospects game... Adding the 2007 memorial cup would kind of be an overload for a franchise that hasn't been around all that long, and a the vancouver market.

But my gut feeling is that the WHL will pay more attention to the green, so It wouldn't surprise me all too much to see Vancouver get the Mem Cup.

If the Memorial cup was in Saskatoon i'd pay good money to get into as many games as possible - even if the Blades weren't playing.

CHtoo
06-20-2005, 09:16 PM
I've heard a rumor that Toigo will out bid everyone and get the 07 Mem Cup to Vancouver. I also heard that possible final games will be at BC Place.

I hope you meant GM place! :)

Jovorock
06-21-2005, 11:36 AM
I hope you meant GM place! :)
No BC Place, I wouldn't want to watch a hockey game in a football arena. You would be way too far from the ice for my liking.

CHtoo
06-23-2005, 07:23 PM
No BC Place, I wouldn't want to watch a hockey game in a football arena. You would be way too far from the ice for my liking.
I thought the Lions played in BC Place :confused: :confused:

Flathead
06-23-2005, 09:38 PM
BC Place= Football/ BC Lions
GM Place(The Garage)= Hockey/Vancouver Canucks

wango tango
07-13-2005, 05:26 PM
been on the road and finally have a chance to share a little.

the gist is this. toigo and the giants have made it clear they will outbid (see pay more money) anyone else who even dares to try and get the 2007 mem cup.

red deer was going to bid and decided they couldn't compete with vancouver. saskatoon may not even bid leaving vancouver to win unopposed.

this is terrible for hockey. vancouver already has the olympics and the wjhc coming. if cities like red deer and saskatoon are excluded based solely on bucks then i am gravely concerned about the future of tournaments like the memorial cup being accessible.

i hope saskatoon does bid. i guess we'll find out soon as the deadline to apply is friday the 15th.

GBG BLEED BLUE
07-13-2005, 09:10 PM

the gist is this. toigo and the giants have made it clear they will outbid (see pay more money) anyone else who even dares to try and get the 2007 mem cup.

red deer was going to bid and decided they couldn't compete with vancouver. saskatoon may not even bid leaving vancouver to win unopposed.

this is terrible for hockey. vancouver already has the olympics and the wjhc coming. if cities like red deer and saskatoon are excluded based solely on bucks then i am gravely concerned about the future of tournaments like the memorial cup being accessible.

i hope saskatoon does bid. i guess we'll find out soon as the deadline to apply is friday the 15th.

Why not give other teams that will bid a chance to host this big tounament. Obviously IF Saskatoon were to bid sucessfully then I would without a doubt go and see the whole tounament.

fightstrap50
07-13-2005, 11:21 PM

So whats the point in even having small town teams in the three leagues that compete for the cup? (WHL, OHL, QMJHL)
For example: Cranbrook, Swift current, and alot of OHL and QMJHL cities are small. Therefore there would never be a chance in hell of them getting their turns at the host job for one thing, so why even have the teams here?.
Is it becasue the CHL likes to boast that small town hockey is the backbone of the Canadian hockey league, and it makes them feel better to have them around. Ive heard that so many times over the years about the backbone thing, so if that is true why cant a small market team have a shot at hosting say every 5-10 years or something. I know Cranbrook is small but our arena holds nearly 5000 with expanded standing room ect. not to say we'd host it but we are a legitamete part of this league! so why couldn't we?
Answer: no big bucks for fat wallets, no big city attractions and draw. POLITICS SUCK!!!!! We are here but nobody knows it!!

GO ICE GO!!!

Beaner
07-14-2005, 09:17 AM

This is terrible news if you can buy the Series. This is a real problem that the entire CHL needs to address ASAP.

WHEATMAN
07-28-2005, 04:54 PM
just thought id say