PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip info

SimonTemplar
11-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Any BC or Alberta fans that drive the Castlegar to Calgary games give me a hand. I am driving from Calgary to Kootenay and wonder which route to go.

Keep leaning towards Crowsnest pass since I am more familiar that way but another map route info thing says going through Golden is possible.

Is there much difference going through the north Banff route as opposed to Crowsnest pass.

Both look good 7 hours.

Squig
11-03-2011, 06:45 AM
If you are going in the heart of the winter i would avoid the Salmo Creston pass but if you are going soon it would be ok.

I assume you are going to Castlegar so if you take the Trans Canada Hwy from Calgary to Revelstoke then take Hwy 6 to Nakusp and continue on to Castlegar. This route is 2 lane hwy most of the way but no passes to speak of so it would be an easy trip. The only pass you would go thru is the Rogers pass on the Trans Canada Hwy.

If you go the other way you kick off the Trans Canada Hwy near Banff head south on Hwy 93 to Cranbrook. From there take Hwy 3 to Castlegar. You will have to go over the Salmo Creston and it is a very steep incline and prone to avalanches in the deep winter. Its also closed quite often so check road reports before you go.

I know the Nakusp route will take you around 8 hrs not sure the other way but it may be a littel quicker.

Have a safe trip

SimonTemplar
11-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Thanks Squig,

Neither route is what I had in mind. I was wondering how many go south from Calgary towrds Ft McLeod into Crowsnest then across 3 all the way. Most maps quests I have used all recommend this route time wise. And yes I am leaving tomorrow so that route looks good according to DriveBC this way.

I'll be in Kelowna Saturday night, you doing all the games this year Squig.

Doing Kootenay Friday then Rockets Sat night.

Holiday drive so no big rush except getting from Calgary airport to Castlegar in time for game. Leaving Calgary by 10 am....should be OK.

Squig
11-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Make sure you have tix for Kelowna before you come - it sells out most nights. Tix are easy to get out front but anytime i travel i always make sure.

I will be at the game as well so give me a call before the game and we can meet in the concourse. I will pm you my number.

It should be a good couple of games this weekend against Portland - we had an entertaining series last year in the playoffs that is bound to carry over.

SimonTemplar
11-03-2011, 04:14 PM
OK Squig looking forward to my first visit to Prospera Place.

I see the Wild sent Bulmer back so that should help.

Hope to catch two good games in a row in Kootenay and Kelowna.

If I don't find you right away look for the London Knights Jacket....

Cya Saturday eve sometime. ( weather/ roads )

Simon

Derek Sutton
11-03-2011, 04:54 PM
down to the Crowsnest Pass. It's a nice scenic drive, the nicest in Southern Alberta, usually with very little traffic. Takes about 4hrs Calgary to Cranbrook this way. 2hr to the Pass and another 2 hrs to Cranbrook. In winter driving I'd go hi way 2 to Ft McLeod then west as hiway 22 can get ugly in the winter.

SimonTemplar
11-04-2011, 02:05 AM
down to the Crowsnest Pass. It's a nice scenic drive, the nicest in Southern Alberta, usually with very little traffic. Takes about 4hrs Calgary to Cranbrook this way. 2hr to the Pass and another 2 hrs to Cranbrook. In winter driving I'd go hi way 2 to Ft McLeod then west as hiway 22 can get ugly in the winter.

Yeah that's the route I was thinkng too Derek, I may be in Lethbridge Wednsday night before flying back outta Calgary Thursday.

Thanks

Simon