PDA

View Full Version : Giants 1 Royals 2 - Nov 4, 2011

dondo
11-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Royals Trump Giants
Vancouver 1 Victoria 2

That was a pretty intense game, with both teams battling hard, both teams making errors and both goalies stepping it up as the two netminders did not only make a lot of saves, but quashed excellent scoring chances when pressed. Keith Hamilton was exceptional and had a bit of good luck as a couple of pucks hit red iron, but he was clutch with some amazing stops when he was being peppered. The Giants pressed hard all game, but could only solve the Victoria netminder once in a close strongly contested game. Adam Morrison on the other side of the puck had to turn away some very excellent chances of his own off of one of the best players in the dub right now. Neither team were able to make their PPs count as the Royals held a slim lead, gained the shift after the Giants had tied the game early in the second, to get the victory.

The Royals opened the scoring in the first as Robin Soudek put home a rebound to take the lead. Both teams had their chances and both played with intensity. The Giants did allow a few more great chances than I like to see, but Morrison stood tall making that first save and keeping control of the puck. The 20 year old has had a stabilizing effect on the team since being acquired and he might not be the type who will steal many games, but he’s most definitely giving the boys the chance to win every night if they play an intense, focused and determined game. My only knock on the boys tonight is that I feel they allowed a few too many high quality scoring chances. Cain Franson tied it up very early in the second as the Giants came out hard and fast from the drop of the puck in the middle frame. Luke Fenske and Brendan Gallagher got the puck to Franson who made a move to the backhand beating Hamilton. 20 seconds later the Royals tied it up with a goal that would prove the game-winner. Brendan Persley, not what you would call a goal scoring type, got the GWG. Kevin Sundher got his second assist on the night. Both teams held the fort for the rest of the game, which was closely played and remained intense as neither team sat back. You never like to take the loss, but you cannot fault either team for letting down on the effort or intensity. I expect the Victoria fans have no nails left and were on the edge of their seats for the majority of this tilt.

Rookie Watch: Vetterl (17) had some good shifts and played defensively well. Bews (17) worked his butt off on the back-check, something Blades fans said he didn’t do – so he’s learning. Harland (16) had some notable shifts. Houck (16) seemed to back off on his physical play a bit, but was still effective. Kulak (17) got a bit casual with the puck at times, but still played a good game on the back-end.

Fight Night: A few scrums, no fights

Zebra Cage: Tyler Adair and Adam Griffiths did a serviceable job tonight, mostly consistent with a few late whistles, but for the Dub pretty good.

The Giants out shot the Royals 34-26 and went 0 for 4 on the PP, while holding the Royals to 0 for 7. Nathan Burns had at least four fantastic chances to get a goal, but he is being seriously snake-bit this season and cannot even buy a goal. I expect when the Giants lose more than a few players to CHL/Russia series and to the WJC that he will get the chance to break his slump. He has all the tools, but they seem a little dull right now and he has had no puck luck. Jordan Martinook had some chances and was creating even more, but could not solve Hamilton in this one. The boys made a good showing in this game and you can be sure they will be ready to go for tomorrow’s tilt. I’m hoping that Jackson Whistle gets the nod in net tomorrow, but I suspect Morrison will get back to back starts. Saying that is nothing against Morrison, but more the need for Whistle to play more and have a hope of being the guy come next season and back-to-back games should be his chance . I would say that there are very few Giants fans who believe us to be real contenders this season, but should expect that starting next season they will be ready to challenge convincingly. However, that’s not set in stone and the progress some of the young guys are already making, means that the Giants could surprise a few teams later in the season. Losing Hay for the WJC and WHL/Russia tourney as well as some key players could impact the team come December/January. Ast, Bellerive, Cooke and Orban all remain on the injured list.

The Giants play the second game of their back-to-back in Victoria tomorrow night. They will hope to bring the same kind of battle with a better result. The puck drops at SOMA at 7:05pm PDT.

Three Stars

1) Keith Hamilton
2) Kevin Sundher
3) Cain Franson

Dondo’s Hardhat: goes to.. Adam Morrison. I think he gave his team the best chance to come back in this one, but the guy at the other end was just that much better.

Geddy Lee
11-05-2011, 11:42 AM
"20 seconds later the Royals tied it up with a goal that would prove the game-winner." ??? :)

It was a good effort by the boys, as they never gave up, but tonight they were forcing the puck to Gallagher. The guy is a whale of a player, and most nights the best guy on the ice, but we need more than just his line. Tvrdon has been very good the last couple of games. Kulak struggled badly tonight.

The building was almost full and a really good energy tonight. This has the potential to be the rivalry that Chilliwack never was. Here's hoping for the split.

CdnSailor
11-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Game could have gone either way last night. At least it was not a schelacking with the goals.
Do not agree with Dondo and the Zebras last night, crappy calls on both sides of the house for some of the calls.
Our barn our win this evening :clap:

scrunt
11-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Do not agree with Dondo and the Zebras last night, crappy calls on both sides of the house for some of the calls.

You may not realize it, but this is a momentous day, the likes of which we may never see again. I am of course referring to dondo not being the harshest critic of the reffing in a WHL game. :p

Dondo, don't start going soft on us (or the refs) now.

Let's hope the Giants can solve the Royals goaltending tonight!

Geddy Lee
11-07-2011, 07:11 PM
IMO the refs were terrible on Friday night. The crowd made at least three calls for them, and one of them was rediculously late.