PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton Oil Kings at Victoria Royals 08 Nov 11

CdnSailor
11-06-2011, 01:43 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/EdmontonOilKings.gif at http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/VictoriaRoyals.gif

Edmonton is starting their West Coast trip with the Royals on Tuesday.
The Oil Kings are currently in fourth place in the Central Division, one point behind Red Deer.

Victoria is back to being tied in 2nd place in the BC Division after taking 2 of 4points against the Giants.

Edmonton Oil Kings 17 10 5 1 1 - 22 PTS 1-0-0-0 STK 7-3-0-0 P10 324 PIM

Victoria Royals 19 10 8 0 1 = 21 PTS 0-1-0-0 STK 6-3-0-1 P10 363 PIM

CdnSailor
11-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Edmonton, AB - The Edmonton Oil Kings snapped their recent two game losing streak with a 4-1 win on Saturday night from Rexall Place in Edmonton. Captain Mark Pysyk led the way with a two point (1G,1A) night and a plus-3 +/- rating as the Oil Kings led from the 4:58 mark of the first off a goal from Kristians Pelss and never relinquished the lead. Jordan Peddle notched his first as an Oil King and rookie Curtis Lazar continued his breakout rookie season with his fifth.
The Oil Kings out shot the T-Birds 44-25 on the night while going 1 for 3 on the power play. The win gives Edmonton a 10-5-1-1 record on the season and a 5-2-0-0 record within the friendly confines of Rexall Place.

Immediately following the game the Oil Kings departed for what will be a week long road trip through the B.C. division which will see them play four games in five nights this week. The first game will be their first ever match up with the Victoria Royals on Tuesday night on the island. Puck drop is set for 8:05 MT. All games this season will be broadcast live on the TEAM 1260 and streamed live at WHL.ca.

The Oil Kings will make their return to Rexall Place on November 18th for Military Night presented by ATB Financial. Edmonton Oilers Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Ryan Smyth, Sam Gagner and Devan Dubnyk will be in attendance as the Edmonton Oil Kings take on the Prince Albert Raiders. These five Edmonton Oilers are featured in the Oil Kings World Junior Bobblehead series and all have Canadian Hockey League and World Junior Hockey Championship experience. Smyth (1995), Dubnyk (2006), Gagner (2007), Eberle (2009/2010) and Hall (2010). Any fan with a ticket to the game will automatically be entered to win a chance to attend a private meet and greet with these five amazing players.

50sWHLer
11-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Hey Guys, don't go on Wednesday night, as Cdnsailor has noted ( Typo) - The Game is actually TUESDAY NITE & you DO NOT want to miss it

The OIL KINGS will be tough opposition. They are 4th in the Central Division, and although they have no scorers in the top 20, they are due to break out and improve their place in the standings, and word from inside their Camp says they're going to begin that here in Victoria.

Players to watch:

#28 Martin Gernad - 6 Goals & 12 Assists ** Defence

#16 T.J. Foster - 7 Goals & 10 Assists ** RW

#18 Michael St Croix- 5 Goals & 12 Assists ** Centre

#11 Dylan Wruck - 4 Goals & 10 Assists ** LW

Edmonton -- 324 PIMs

Victoria -- 363 PIMs --- Both Teams have the same kind of testosterone run amuck---- Should be interesting!!

The ROYALS should NOT take the OIL KINGS lightly, or look beyond Tuesday night’s Game, or The Oil Kings will slip out of Town with 2 Points.

Come On Royals !!!!--- Take it to them right from the initial faceoff & keep hitting and checking them off the puck for the entire 60 minutes. Stay out of the Box. Keep them on the outside and clear the Crease & Slot areas. --- Oh Tes -- & SCORE LOTS & OFTEN !!

GO ROYALS GO !!!!

CdnSailor
11-07-2011, 08:32 PM
I see Tuesday :p

50sWHLer
11-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Hey, YOU'RE GOOD Cdnsailor !!! How'd did you do it??? :confused:

Mod secret I bet !!!

Love it !! Yup, as you noted, IT'S TUESDAY !!!!

SEE YOU AT THE GAME :groovy:

CdnSailor
11-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Say Hi if you dare!

pontcanna
11-08-2011, 01:03 AM
From pros to junior, Laxdal keeps producing winners

BY CLEVE DHEENSAW, TIMESCOLONIST.COM NOVEMBER 7, 2011 10:31 PM

If Derek Laxdal manages a victory today at Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre, just add it to the list. It’s a long one.

The visitors bench might as well have his name on it. He won a lot of games on Blanshard Street against the Salmon Kings during a successful five-year head coaching run in the professional ECHL in leading the Idaho Steelheads to five consecutive 40-plus win seasons, two Kelly Cup finals and one championship.

Only the leagues and Victoria opponent have changed. It’s the Royals now, not the Salmon Kings. But the constant remains that Laxdal is still winning as a head coach as he brings his Edmonton Oil Kings (10-5-2) into the Memorial Centre for a Western Hockey League game tonight at 7 against the Royals (10-8-1).

“You are judged by wins and losses in this business,” said Laxdal, as he made himself at home again in the Memorial Centre visitors dressing room Monday for an afternoon skate by his Oil Kings.

Coaches are indeed judged by the win-loss column — as Laxdal’s former Alaska Aces ECHL Western Conference coaching opponent Davis Payne discovered Sunday when he was let go as head coach of the St. Louis Blues.

Laxdal and Payne are among a clutch of head coaches from the ECHL Western Conference who went on. Glen Gulutzan went from the Las Vegas Wranglers and is now head coach of the Dallas Stars. Former Alaska coach Keith McCambridge and the Salmon Kings’ Mark Morrison now run the St. John’s bench in the American Hockey League as head coach and assistant coach, respectively, of the Winnipeg Jets-affiliate IceCaps.

“It was a good time and place and the ECHL is a great breeding ground for coaches,” said Laxdal.

“You learn a lot because it’s the toughest league in which to coach in terms of workload with the recruiting, apartments and travel. I wouldn’t trade my time in the ECHL for anything. It was good to me but the work load wears on you.”

Being in junior hockey now allows Laxdal the kind of long-term program planning one can never do in minor-pro, where players are constantly being called up and sent down at any time.

“In the ECHL, you win and die by your AHL affiliates,” he said.

“Everything has to fall into place at the right time.”

Laxdal is bringing the Oil Kings along since taking over last season. In seven seasons as a pro head coach, including two in the Central League with the Wichita Thunder, Laxdal never had a losing season. He suffered his first by going 31-34-7 last season with the Oil Kings but still extended his personal streak of consecutive playoff appearances behind the bench to eight. Laxdal’s stamp on the Oil Kings is becoming more his own in his second WHL season, as he adjusts to guiding teens after coaching men. And this team has some big-name teens. The Oil Kings feature defencemen Griffin Reinhart and Keegan Lowe, the sons of former NHLers Paul Reinhart and Kevin Lowe.

“It’s a lot different because obviously you’re dealing with teenagers,” he said.

“You have to re-teach things more whereas in the pros you would only have to say it a couple of times.”

Whatever Laxdal has said in his coaching career it seems to have worked. And tonight, his past meets his present on the Memorial Centre visitors bench.

“This has always been a great building with great fan support,” said Laxdal.

He should know. His Steelheads often frustrated those Victoria fans and he aims to have his Oil Kings do the same.

ICE CHIPS: Oil Kings radio-by-play announcer Corey Graham of Victoria, a Mount Douglas Secondary grad and former Racquet Club hockey player, returns to his hometown tonight.

Graham will occupy the visitor’s radio booth in the Memorial Centre once occupied by Jack Michaels, who went from being the long-serving voice of the ECHL Alaska Aces to now the radio play-by-play announcer of the NHL Edmonton Oilers. Is that a harbinger for Graham of bigger things? “Getting to the WHL was a goal of mine and we’ll see where it goes,” said the graduate of NAIT, who also hosts his own nightly call-in sports talk show on Team 1260.

pontcanna
11-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Griffin Reinhart a big chip off the old block

Son of former NHLER leads Oil Kings into Victoria today

VANCOUVER — The day was grey, the weather miserable and Griffin Reinhart could not have been happier Monday sailing to Victoria on a B.C. ferry.

“Kind of reminds me of home,” said the 17-year-old Edmonton Oil Kings defenceman and son of former NHL stalwart Paul Reinhart. “I like the rain. I’ll take it any day over the snow. It’s nice to be back.”

Griffin and the Oil Kings were on their way to a date today with the Victoria Royals and they’ll be in Vancouver on Wednesday night to face the Giants. Griffin is one of three Reinhart boys playing in the Western Hockey League — older brother Max and younger brother Sam are both on the Kootenay Ice — but he’s the big deal this year thanks to the 2012 NHL entry draft.

At 6-4 and 205 pounds, he is being touted as a firstround pick. He might even match or better his 5-11 dad, who went 12th overall in 1979 to the Atlanta Flames. Paul moved with the Flames’ franchise to Calgary the following year and then spent his last two NHL seasons as a Vancouver Canuck. Back woes cut Paul’s career short and he settled down in West Vancouver, where Max (1992), Griffin (1994) and Sam (1995) were born and raised.

You can imagine, with three boys less than four years apart, what their younger days were like.
“We had a rec room above the garage that basically housed everything from WWE wrestling through to contact basketball,” Paul recalled Monday with a chuckle. “The boys played constantly up there and, I mean, they did it all. They were competitive but they weren’t mean to each other.”

Mini-sticks, a rec room staple for energetic young hockey players, was among their pursuits.

“Yeah, we played it a bit and it would get pretty competitive and turn into full contact pretty quick,” Griffin confirmed. “We did get carried away sometimes but it was a lot of fun having two brothers. We all got along pretty well.”

Max and Sam became forwards while Griffin turned into a defenceman like his dad. All three boys were born after Paul retired so they never saw him play live. Then Griffin watched Paul on TV in one of those classic games — Flames versus Oilers during the 1987-88 playoffs — and he was stunned.
“I had never seen him play until then and, just seeing a glimpse of him, it’s pretty amazing how much we play alike,” Griffin said.

Paul was a smooth skater, superb passer and wonderful on the power play. He was also stunned watching the same classic game. In fact, he texted all three of his sons to alert them to the fact that dad was going to be on TV.

“I was amazed at the similarities of Griffin’s game to the way I played,” said Paul, now 51 and working in the investment business. “I wasn’t just looking at the positives but even the negatives. I was joking with Griffin that the things I comment to him that he needs to work on, I needed to do, too. He is way more similar to my game than I would have guessed.”

One thing Griffin won’t do is match Paul’s stats in his draft year. Back then, players were selected when they were 19 and going on 20. Now it’s 17 going on 18. In Paul’s final year of junior, his amassed 51 goals and 129 points for the Kitchener Rangers. Griffin has six points in 12 games for the Oil Kings this season.

“I don’t know how he did it, 129 points,” said an impressed Griffin. “I think he played a little bit of forward, too, but it’s pretty amazing to see his stats.”
Griffin, a product of the Hollyburn minor hockey program, has no intention of becoming a hybrid like dad and, instead, is trying to hone his game for both the Oil Kings and the NHL scouts.

He says he sees the ice well and has good hockey sense but admits he is hardly a fancy player. He’ll be able to further showcase his ability next Wednesday in Regina when he suits up for Team WHL in a Subway Super Series game against the touring Russian side.

“I’m not like a dangler or anything,” Griffin said. “I’m not a guy who will dipseydoodle through everybody on the rush but I think the skill set I do have will help me be a pro someday. The NHL draft is definitely in the back of my head, like it is for everyone in my age group.

“I’m trying not to think too far ahead and I think I’ve done a very good job of kind of living in the moment.”

the Royal Flush
11-08-2011, 05:20 PM
think i'll wear the blue jersey tonight...

50sWHLer
11-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Blue Salmon King Home Jersey ??? --- OR Royals Jersey?? --You a Turncoat?

Say, I've got an ECHL Salmon King Playoff Banner ---- You want to buy it and add to your Collection?? Rare, & a definite item that a Real Collector like you should have ! -- interested ?

LETS GO ROYALS --- DRILL THOSE OILERS !!! :clap:

50sWHLer
11-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Whoops !! Forgot that I'm not supposed to offer products for sale on this site, SORRY !!

You want it for FREE???? ( that way I'm doing it legal like )

the Royal Flush
11-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Blue Salmon King Home Jersey ??? --- OR Royals Jersey?? --You a Turncoat?

Say, I've got an ECHL Salmon King Playoff Banner ---- You want to buy it and add to your Collection?? Rare, & a definite item that a Real Collector like you should have ! -- interested ?

LETS GO ROYALS --- DRILL THOSE OILERS !!! :clap:

Royals of course....i tried GIVING AWAY my SKINGS jersey but there were NO TAKERS...

CdnSailor
11-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Hmmm! I was thinking of wearing a white jersey myself. :cool:

Geddy Lee
11-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Ouch!:bounce:

pontcanna
11-08-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm awaiting the 50's/WOB I told you so posting...ought to be a classic.

Well, they have had a couple of stinkers like this on the road, but this is the first truly bad game at home. Good crowd with a good attitude (I enjoyed the semi-ironic "wave" in the third) and most hung around, at least until the 50/50 was drawn.

Guess I should have known this wasn't to be the night as I walked up the stairs from the concourse, got my eyes on the ice as the Oil Kings scored in about 30 seconds.

The concerning factor for me was the utter collapse of the Royals the minute Sundher went out with a mysterious injury - he didn't look that bad leaving the ice, but he wasn't seen again. He's obviously the glue that holds things together, as the reorganised lines were ragged...basically each line was a third line. We had some quite bad luck at times, but there was never any question as to who was going to win this one.

pontcanna
11-09-2011, 12:47 AM
Royals lose more than a game

BY MARIO ANNICCHIARICO, TIMESCOLONIST.COM NOVEMBER 8, 2011 10:41 PM

It was a night of firsts at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre on Tuesday, much to the chagrin of the Victoria Royals.

The Western Hockey League club lost its second straight at home for just the first time this season, taking an 8-2 pounding from the talented Edmonton Oil Kings, who used defenceman Cody Corbett’s first goal and first assist in posting the victory.

Corbett, a recent addition from Lakeland Minn., was a fight away from a Gordie Howe hat-trick in just his third WHL game.

Prior to the thumping, the Royals were 6-2-0-1 in their first nine at home and coming off a 5-3 loss to the Vancouver Giants on Saturday.

They were simply over-powered on Tuesday and to add injury to insult, they also lost team leader Kevin Sundher as he was banged up in the first period and didn’t come out for the second or third.

“We’re usually pretty good at home, but that was our worst game at home, by far,” said Royals general manager and head coach Marc Habscheid, who was not happy with his team’s work ethic or structure.

“We were late to pucks and we didn’t compete at all,” he said. “We didn’t play. We didn’t spin a wheel.”

Habscheid also couldn’t give any further information on Sundher, who was injured midway through the first period.

It didn’t take long for the Oil Kings to get going. Edmonton’s fine rookie Curtis Lazar, a Vernon native who was selected second overall in the WHL bantam draft two seasons ago, opened the scoring with his sixth just 33 seconds in. Michael St. Croix extended his point-scoring streak to 11 games with an assist on the quick goal that set the Royals back on their heels.

Zane Jones tied it up for Victoria on a power play at 12:57, before Corbett restored the one-goal advantage for the visitors on a slapper from the point that eluded Victoria netminder Keith Hamilton at 17:11 of the first.

St. Croix, a fourth-round pick (106th overall) of the New York Rangers, made it 3-1 on a man advantage five minutes into the second and Rhett Rachinski increased it to 4-1 midway through the middle frame and the rout was on. St. Croix finished with two goals and two assists.

“We wanted to get those first two points of this road trip,” said St. Croix. “We wanted to leave a mark. These fans are so great here, it was crucial for us to get on them fast and that’s what we did,”

Royals forward Logan Nelson and Edmonton’s Stephane Legault — with his first of two — exchanged goals 16 seconds apart late in the second. The fifth Oil Kings goal chased Hamilton from the Victoria net, allowing the handful on 18 shots. Kristans Pelss also scored for Edmonton.

Victoria’s No. 1 unit, consisting of Sundher, former Oil King Robin Soudek and Brandon Magee, came into the contest with 24 points among them in the last four contests. Magee managed the lone point, an assist.

Laurent Brossoit collected his 10th victory of the season in the Edmonton net, making 17 saves. Jared Rathjen stopped 14 in relief of Hamilton.

Victoria plays host to the Red Deer Rebels on Saturday and Sunday at 7 p.m. and 5 p.m., respectively.

LOOSE PUCKS: Griffin Reinhart’s dad, Paul, a Stanley Cup champion former member of the Calgary Flames and Vancouver Canucks, was in the building for his son’s first visit to Victoria and will watch again tonight at home in Vancouver.

the Royal Flush
11-09-2011, 12:53 AM
The Edmonton D was too tough for us,they were big,mobile and treated us like girls. I am finding problems with our goaltending unit...we got beaten from start to finish.

CdnSailor
11-09-2011, 01:28 AM
Our forwards were never there. The Oil Kings danced all over us this evening.
Oil Kings D men were unbelievable. Now I know why they have the #1 in the WHL.
As much as I do not like the word, but maybe some benching of players will get them to get out there and play rather than "Singing in the Rain"

If Vancouver does well against them Wednesday evening I wil be suprised.

CdnSailor
11-09-2011, 01:29 AM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/EdmontonOilKings.gif 8
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/VictoriaRoyals.gif 2

Game Highlights
http://youtu.be/AZjOXwBRFqU

1st Period

Oil Kings 1st goal by Curtis Lazar 0:05
Fight between Oil Kings Jordan Peddle and Royals Tim Traber 0:20
Royals 1st goal by Zane Jones (PP) 0:58
Oil Kings 2nd goal by Cody Corbett 1:40

2nd Period

Oil Kings 3rd goal by Michael St. Croix (PP) 2:13
Fight between Oil Kings Ryan Dech and Royals Robin Soudek 2:19
Oil Kings 4th goal by Rhett Rachinski 3:13
Royals 2nd goal by Logan Nelson 3:50
Oil Kings 5th goal by Stephane Legault 4:06
Oil Kings 6th goal by Kristians Pelss 4:14

3rd Period

Oil Kings 7th goal by Michael St. Croix (PP) 4:49
Oil Kings 8th goal by Stephane Legault 5:08

Attendance

SHOTS 1 2 3 Total
Edmonton Oil Kings 10 11 14 35
Victoria Royals 5 8 6 19

3 Stars
1. EDM - 18 Michael St. Croix
2. EDM - 7 Stephane Legault
3. EDM - 2 Cody Corbett

Game Summary
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/59589

50sWHLer
11-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Great Summary Cdnsailor !!

Stinky, you just had to know, that when the Oil Kings scored in the first minute, that it was going to be that kind of a night.

The Home Team cannot WIN every game. The Royals were simply outplayed on every level.

I was surprised that Habshied pulled Hamilton at 5 - 2, in an attempt to stir up the Team. a 3 Goal deficit in Junior is nothing, & with Hamilton in there, the Royals would possibly had a chance to climb back in to the game.

And whats this one Ref thing?? 2 Refs on the weekends?? 1 on weekdays?? What is the WHL thinking? Double standard here?? Come on WHL - you have either a 1 or 2 Ref system, but NOT both !!

I'm sure that the Royals will regroup and give us a much improved performance on Saturday.

I'll be there ! Will YOU??

GO ROYALS GO !!!!

pontcanna
11-09-2011, 10:54 AM
The post game show on Zone FM featured Royals coaching staff promising a rather intense session at today's practice...can you say "bag skate" boys and girls? :)

pontcanna
11-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Attention on deck, moderator - you're doing "double posts" again.
:)

CdnSailor
11-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Attention on deck, moderator - you're doing "double posts" again.
:)

Where do you see that :p

50sWHLer
11-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Maybe its time that pontacnna had an eye test ?? This can easily be co-ordinated upon your next visit to EMI---it's the second door on the left.

You getting your Forums mixed up??---- Cdnsailor is EVERYWHERE !!-- just like he was when he protected our Country !

In the meantine, I've got some old bifocals you can use. They might allow YOU to look at the WHL and The Royals from a little different perspective.:)

the Royal Flush
11-09-2011, 05:21 PM
take your pill NOW Wobnet...or the voices will start again...

CdnSailor
11-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Maybe its time that pontacnna had an eye test ?? This can easily be co-ordinated upon your next visit to EMI---it's the second door on the left.

You getting your Forums mixed up??---- Cdnsailor is EVERYWHERE !!-- just like he was when he protected our Country !

In the meantine, I've got some old bifocals you can use. They might allow YOU to look at the WHL and The Royals from a little different perspective.:)

He was correct on the double post. I deleted mine because of my boo boo ;)

50sWHLer
11-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the reminder, 'Royal Swoosh' !!

Geez, you miss just one dosage and 'things' just don't seem to work the same. -- Your time will come, L'll Buddy ! Enjoy it while your young.

Say, what are your game result predictions for Sat night and Sunday PM??

I predict a Split !! ---- Royals taking #1 - 5 - 3, BUT losing Sunday 6 - 2

My predicted attendance is 6200+- on Saturday, and 4895+- on Sunday

I hear that they will have a very talented officiating Crew here on Saturday.
I hope that Habshied has the Boys cranked up, BUT that they control that testosterone, and stay outta the Box.

---- Oh ! Oh ! --- Gotta go -- Time for another dosage :D

GO ROYALS GO !!!!