PDA

View Full Version : Royals mum on Sundher injury 09 Nov 11

CdnSailor
11-10-2011, 03:49 PM
By Cleve Dheensaw and Mario Annicchiarico, timescolonist.com

The Victoria Royals are remaining tight-lipped about the injury to standout forward Kevin Sundher.

Sundher was hurt when he was hit into the boards during the first period of Tuesday night’s 8-2 Western Hockey League loss to the Edmonton Oil Kings at Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre and did not return for the second or third periods.

“We’re classifying it as an upper body injury and right now we’re unsure how long he’ll be out,” Royals GM and head coach Marc Habscheid said Wednesday.

The Royals return to action this weekend withhome dates against the Red Deer Rebels on Saturday and Sunday.

Heading into Wednesday’s night’s action, Sundher was third in WHL scoring with 13 goals and 23 assists for 36 points, behind Emerson Etem of the Medicine Hat Tigers with 43 points and Mark Stone of the Brandon Wheat Kings with 37 points.

Sundher, a 2010 third-round draft pick of the Buffalo Sabres selected 75th overall, was scheduled to play next Wednesday in Regina for the WHL team in the Subway Super Series game against the Russian Selects junior team. The 19-year-old native of Surrey is among the total of 21 WHL forwards selected for the two-game set against the Russians, which also includes a game next Thursday in Moose Jaw, Sask. Sundher was the lone Royals player tabbed for the Super Series.

There is a great deal riding on the Subway Super Series with performances in the series deemed crucial for finalizing the Canadian roster for the 2012 world junior championship, which begins next month in Edmonton and Calgary with Canada vying for a 14th consecutive medal in the event.

The WHL on Wednesday announced only one change to the league roster for the Subway Super Series with Wheat Kings blue-liner Ryan Pulock to replace Moose Jaw Warriors defenceman Morgan Reilly for the game in Moose Jaw. Reilly, among the youngest of the WHL players picked for the Super Series and not eligible for the NHL draft until 2013, was injured in a game over the weekend.

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/Royals+Sundher+injury/5684723/story.html#ixzz1dLFPnNe1

CdnSailor
11-16-2011, 01:03 AM
Ripping a page out of Trooper’s book, Kevin Sundher is in Regina tonight for a meaningful time not a long time. He hopes it turns into a good time.

“It’s a one-game thing, so you can’t tip-toe into it,” said the Victoria Royals forward, who will play for the Western Hockey League team tonight against the Russian junior selects in the Subway Super Series contest taking place in the Saskatchewan capital.

“Mentally, you have to be ready to go right off the bat.”

Sundher, injured in last Tuesday’s game at Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre against the Edmonton Oil Kings, missed Victoria’s games Saturday and Sunday against the Red Deer Rebels with an upper-body injury.

“I didn’t even know if I would be here [Regina], but here I am,” he said, of his day-to-day ailment that healed in time.

“I haven’t had much time on skates the past week but I feel like I’m ready to go. There are no excuses. I’m happy and lucky to be here. I’m sure there will be some nerves, but I’m looking forward to the opportunity.”

And it’s a big one, with performances in the Subway Super Series going a long way to determine Canada’s roster for the 2012 world junior championship which begin next month in Calgary and Edmonton.

“There are a lot of WHL and Hockey Canada people around so the the atmosphere is sort of unique. It’s a very cool experience and I’m going to remember this.”

The elusive and quicksilver Sundher said there isn’t much to do differently tonight than the things which have garnered for him 13 goals and 23 assists in 20 games for the Royals this season.

“I’m going to play my game and not do anything special,” he said, by phone in Regina.

“I’m just going to go out and play hard and compete.”

When the elites of junior hockey are suddenly thrown together, the results can be dramatic.

“These are all great players here,” said Sundher, following Tuesday’s WHL team practice.

It’s another level and so much quicker.”

The 19-year-old Sundher has previously played against the Russians in U-17.

“I’ve watched a few of the earlier Super Series games and these Russians are fast, quick and skilled,” he noted.

“And I’ve been watching them [Russians] in the world juniors for years and years. We need to play a simple game and limit their chances. It’s going to be a really fast-moving game.”

The 2011 Super Series is tied 2-2 after the Russians opened with 2-0 and 5-4 victories against the Quebec Major Junior League all-stars before the Ontario Hockey League scored 10-7 and 6-3 victories.

The series will be decided when the WHL closes it out with tonight’s game in Regina and Thursday’s in Moose Jaw, the latter which will feature a largely different WHL roster of players.

A WHL sweep this week would give the Canadian major-junior leagues an eighth series win in the nine-year history of the event. If any added incentive is needed, the WHL will be looking to make up for being swept by the Russians last year for the first time.

The WHL was left scrambling for blue-line replacements following injuries to two marquee Edmonton Oil Kings defenceman. Regina Pats defenceman Colton Jobke will replace Mark Pysyk tonight in Regina and Moose Jaw Warriors blue-liner Joel Edmundson will sub for Griffin Reinhart in the Thursday game in Moose Jaw.

Kanzig gets

Team Pacific call

Meanwhile, 16-year-old Royals defenceman Keegan Kanzig has been named to Team Pacific for the 2012 World U-17 Challenge from Dec. 29 to Jan. 4 in Windsor, Ont. The six-foot-five, 230-pound defence-oriented native of Athabasca, Alta., has played in 20 games this season for Victoria.

The Royals players have a history with Team Pacific in the World U-17 Challenge with Brandon Magee and Steve Hodges taking bronze last year in Manitoba after the relentless Magee scored in overtime against Quebec in the third-place game.

Sundher has a silver medal in the event with Team Pacific when the 2009 U-17 Challenge was played in Port Alberni.

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/Sundher+healed+ready+Russians/5716338/story.html#ixzz1dqfPRdtk