PDA

View Full Version : Should we pursue Maxwell?

RDRebelsfan
11-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Chances are next to none, since we screwed over Everett last year in the Froese deal. But if you were Wallin, would you at least try to pursue Tyler Maxwell who has requested a trade from Everett?

He'd be an upgrade over our current 20s. Namely Cowen. But I'm sure his price tag would be high. But we've got another solid team and it'd improve our scoring. I'd say at least try to pursue him.

Comments?

sbtatter
11-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Chances are next to none, since we screwed over Everett last year in the Froese deal. But if you were Wallin, would you at least try to pursue Tyler Maxwell who has requested a trade from Everett?

He'd be an upgrade over our current 20s. Namely Cowen. But I'm sure his price tag would be high. But we've got another solid team and it'd improve our scoring. I'd say at least try to pursue him.

Comments?
What do you think his value is? Only a 2nd or 3rd round pick because it's gone public?

RDRebelsfan
11-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Not sure, I'm sure Everett would still prefer to lay out a high tag because he is a 40 goal scorer. Hard to say. I'd be willing to deal a couple of picks and a roster player for him.

SectionNDeserter
11-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Chances are next to none, since we screwed over Everett last year in the Froese deal.I don't know if this is a factor, as they did just complete a deal with each other, and it there would be lower immediate expectations, as it would be a 'now' player for a potential 'future' player.

If they made this deal, I could see a forward that has stalled and in some points of his game gone backwards in Siwak being involved.

patsdude114
11-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Maxwell would be a great pick up for any team out there & lets face it every team has one 20yr old who really shouldnt be in the league as a 20yr old anymore just due to players going pro instead of there pro teams sending them back for more ice time if they actually cared for there development.

Maxwell Id love to see in Regina finally give Weal a true offensive talent to play with which he hasnt had since Eberle went pro. Ship Marantz off in a second along with a pick & even a guy like Jung who was reassigned but who could still play at the WHL level as a depth guy.

I could see BRN making a pitch for Maxwell, Ciarelli isnt he most talented guy & McCrimmon has that "win at all cost" attitude which is a great quality he has. A small market team like BRN making the playoffs & a couple rounds helps the bottom line, maybe 1 yr a team like PA will learn that.

Also just a little side comment.... with the Rockets off to such a brutal start but getting Bulmer back, does a team like RD or other top EAST teams look at adding him any time soon to there roster.

SectionNDeserter
11-10-2011, 11:11 PM
with the Rockets off to such a brutal start but getting Bulmer back, does a team like RD or other top EAST teams look at adding him any time soon to there roster.Mixed feelings on that one, though I thought about it. Kelowna had some pretty decent teams the prior two seasons to this one, and Bulmer has always been a minus player in spite of this.

Red celtic
11-12-2011, 09:17 PM
From a Rebel perspective what would be a trade that would work for us and the Tips? Is Siwak a starting point or giving up a 17 yr old skilled forward to much? Or do we dangle some skilled forwards on our list who might be interested in a trade McMurphy and Kryzika come to mind. I still think Siwak is a player that who would be another Blair Jones who has you thinking next year if only we had kept him. Maxwell is a 20 yr old who could be the missing piece who could help us down the stretch. I hope we look at Maxwell and try to put together a package to pry him lose.

SectionNDeserter
11-12-2011, 10:08 PM
I still think Siwak is a player that who would be another Blair Jones who has you thinking next year if only we had kept him.There are some big differences though. Jones didn't like to come back across his own blueline, and as such the defensive side of his game wasn't developing. Sutter experimented with playing him on the point (which improved some other's defensive games, Versteeg etc.), with no results. When he was roughly the same age, they finally gave up on him and moved on. Had Jones stayed in Red Deer, I don't think he would have developed into anywhere near the player that he did in Moose Jaw, sometimes they need to be moved before they figure it out.

Siwak has developed the defensive part of his game, but plays a great deal of the time in the offensive zone on the perimeter, and doesn't skate as hard as he could be all the time. I think he is as good defensively as he was last season, and about where he was offensively this time last season. Siwak isn't a liability to the team defensively when he is on the ice (like Jones was), but we have seen flashes of what he can do offensively, and he just isn't doing it consistently. I don't think the Rebels need to trade him just yet, but if he were, I wouldn't be surprised.

Red celtic
11-12-2011, 11:31 PM
There are some big differences though. Jones didn't like to come back across his own blueline, and as such the defensive side of his game wasn't developing. Sutter experimented with playing him on the point (which improved some other's defensive games, Versteeg etc.), with no results. When he was roughly the same age, they finally gave up on him and moved on. Had Jones stayed in Red Deer, I don't think he would have developed into anywhere near the player that he did in Moose Jaw, sometimes they need to be moved before they figure it out.

Siwak has developed the defensive part of his game, but plays a great deal of the time in the offensive zone on the perimeter, and doesn't skate as hard as he could be all the time. I think he is as good defensively as he was last season, and about where he was offensively this time last season. Siwak isn't a liability to the team defensively when he is on the ice (like Jones was), but we have seen flashes of what he can do offensively, and he just isn't doing it consistently. I don't think the Rebels need to trade him just yet, but if he were, I wouldn't be surprised.
Not sure I agree with you in regards to Jones sometimes you have to live through the bad times to see what a player can bring to the table. When you are dealing with 16-18 yr old players sometimes they need that extra year to be all they can be ie Justin Weller. Jones might have brought all those offensive numbers to Red Deer if we had waited. Do you remember who we even got for him....I can't. Do know Blair is now playing for Tampa Bay.

SectionNDeserter
11-13-2011, 06:27 AM
Do you remember who we even got for him....I can't.Like it was yesterday! You should get that checked out! :D As I recall it was Ashton Rome and Karey Pieper. They flipped Rome the following season and got Kris Versteeg and some defenseman from Kamloops (Chapman?).

Do know Blair is now playing for Tampa Bay.And he got there while splitting seasons on some pretty bad AHL teams which is equally impressive. He will probably be in Europe next season, but he can always say that he made it to the show!

Red celtic
11-13-2011, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE=SectionNDeserter;172535]Like it was yesterday! You should get that checked out! :D As I recall it was Ashton Rome and Karey Pieper. They flipped Rome the following season and got Kris Versteeg and some defenseman from Kamloops (Chapman?).
Well I did enjoy watching Karey well he was here to bad we lost him to Edmonton in his 20 yr old season. As for my memory....I'm sorry what were we talking about.

patsdude114
11-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Blair Jones is a 1 trick pony, all offense & nothing else, which is why he never really gets a legit shot to make it to the big show on a regular basis. I agree he will most likely be in Europe next season or completely pack it in, he isnt worth alot to be honest.

The trade to MJ was the best for his career to play with that stacked team MJ had, he didnt have to be the go to guy which let him play against the (so called) weaker Dmen... For every player its just being put in the right situation at the right time.

Just look at Cam Ward & Josh Harding for example... When they were in the WHL depended on which scout u talked too would determine who was #1 & who was #2 but they were always 1 & 2 they were both very successfull junior goaltenders & went onto the pros, Ward has gotten a chance to play & be the starter cuz of the situation he was put in, didnt he start off as Gerber's backup? u know full well that hed be getting a chance soon enough, Harding on the other hand has had to fend off Manny Fernandez to stay in the organization & is now playing behind Backstrom, its all about the situation u r put in to excell (is all im getting at, works at all levels)

Also another prime example of a recent WHLer is Matt McKay off BRN, he didnt do a heck of alot in his career prior goes to BRN & gets 52pts in 31games.

RDRebelsfan
11-14-2011, 10:37 PM
When I think of one dimensional/one trick pony players, one name instantly comes to mind for me.

Pavel Brendl!

Rebel~66
11-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Moot point now as the Oil Kings picked him up. Good upgrade for them. They have four overages so another trade or outright release is in the works.
Pity, you would have to think that Maxwell would have been a significant upgrade on the likes of Cowen but perhaps Wallin did not want to give up a good prospect. I know he's high on Cowen too who is admittedly doing some good work on the PK.

"Oil Kings General Manager Bob Green announced today that the Oil Kings have acquired forward Tyler Maxwell from the Everett SilverTips in exchange for a 3rd round pick in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft and the rights to 95-born prospect Griffin Foulk"

Western Elite
11-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Lazowski has been put on waivers.

CdnSailor
11-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Lazowski has been put on waivers.

Looks like Spruce Grove Saints

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=24287

SectionNDeserter
11-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Pity, you would have to think that Maxwell would have been a significant upgrade on the likes of Cowen but perhaps Wallin did not want to give up a good prospect. I know he's high on Cowen too who is admittedly doing some good work on the PK.I am ok with not picking up Maxwell if the cost was a 3rd round AND a decent prospect. Seems like a big price tag for a guy that might just take his ball and go home if the Oil Kings run into a 3 or 4 game losing streak.